The Fast Times

Forty

The week continued on as usual, only when Nancy returned to work at Georgio's, Tommy had given her the message Dale had left for her. For the past 8 days, the note sat on Nancy's dresser; she didn't want to throw it away, because she was highly considering on calling her. Nancy felt like Dale deserved to know Holliday, even if Pete didn't want to; only her nerves got to her before she could actually call, so the note stayed untouched on her dresser.

Everyday at her job(s), she was on high alert, making sure she didn't see Pete or any of his family members. It had been rare that she had seen them; only once she had seen Peter at the bar of Georgio's drinking a cocktail with a client in the last 3 years. Last week's reoccurrence of seeing Pete had her on edge. She had almost been too afraid to return to work, she didn't want to see him, and see him flaunt his happy little life in front of her.

She wasn't jealous, quite the opposite, she felt she got lucky. Holliday made her happier than she had ever been in her life, and she made her complete. If she hadn't had her, she suspected she would be miserable. Still, she didn't want to see or hear about how great Pete's life was without their daughter. She wasn't sure she could bear it.

Meanwhile, Pete wasn't feeling as great as Nancy had thought he was. Everyday, his mother would give knowing glances, especially when Crystal was out of the room. Even though Crystal was a sweet girl to his family, Dale didn't like her, she didn't want Crystal around, she wanted Pete to grow up and go down to Nancy's job and talk to her. Dale had tried, but unsuccessfully missed her by hours. She had asked Pete once to go see her, but Pete had refused, saying something to the effect of, "It isn't worth it."

But Pete did want to go see her, but Crystal kept him grounded from that. Not that she knew, he just didn't want to upset her and cause any trouble. She is a bit clingy, he thought, and he didn't want to start something he wouldn't know how to stop.

That's the greatest thing that stopped him. His anger wasn't present anymore, and he wasn't sure why. He wasn't mad anymore, he was miserable.


Nancy sat on her couch comforting Holliday, who had a little stomach ache. She had given her medicine and rubbed her stomach while Holliday sniffled and cuddled closer into her mommy.

"I'm thirsty," Holliday said in a soft whimper.

Nancy pet her hair back, "Okay, I'm gonna lay you over there."

Holliday let Nancy move her over the couch and then recovered her with her blanket. Nancy kissed her forehead and went to the kitchen to get Holliday's sippy cup. As she did, the phone rang, so she picked it up, "Hello?"

"Nancy, it's Dave, I need you to come in."

Nancy paused, "But I just called in, Holly's sick, I can't--"

"We need you," Dave stressed, "just for 4 hours."

Nancy sighed, "Dave, I--"

"I wouldn't have called if it wasn't important, we're swamped."

She coursed her hair back, "Damn...gimme 20 minutes."

"Thank you."

Nancy hung up and returned to Holliday with her juice, and knelt to her, "Baby, I have to go to work, will you be okay if Patrick stays with you?"

Holliday frowned, "You're leavin'?"

Nancy nodded regrettably, "Yeah, but only for a few hours."

"I don't want you to," Holliday whined.

"I know, but I have to, Dave needs me."

Holliday started to cry, "Please?"

Nancy exhaled and sat on the couch, pulling Holliday into her lap, hugging her and rubbing her back, "I'm so sorry. I'm really, really sorry, baby doll."

Holliday cried for a few more minutes before she had fallen asleep. Nancy felt terrible about setting her little girl down, preparing to leave her. She had no choice if she wanted to keep her job; she covered Holliday again, got up and went to the phone and called Patrick.


Pete and Crystal had slept in all morning into the afternoon. Crystal woke up first and was going through Pete's things. She was curious as to why he didn't indulge about his past, so she decided to find things out herself. She sat at his desk, going through the drawers and finding old pictures of Pete with his friends and Nancy; Crystal had smirked, noticing how much Nancy had changed.

"She got fat," she said to herself.

Crystal put the pictures back and looked over the desk, finding the envelope addressed to Peter Wentz. She hummed and without regard to his privacy, tore it open and pulled out what was inside. It was a small note and a check for $10,000.00.

"Peter, I'm paying back the money you gave me. Sorry it took so long. -Nancy," Crystal put the note down and looked at the check made out to Peter Wentz II.

Pete woke up just then, feeling as if something wasn't right. His head spun a little from the drugs, causing him to shut his eyes tight, "Fuck. What time is it?"

Crystal looked back at him, "It's 3. Did you know someone sent you a check for 10 grand."

Pete frowned, "What? Who's it from?"

Crystal looked at the address on the corner of the check, "Nancy Durden...2002 North Peoria Street, Apartment 16B."

Pete stood up, rubbing his eyes, "Nancy Durden?"

"Yeah, she left a note," Crystal handed him both the check and note.

Pete read the note to himself, "...This is for my dad, not me."

"Your dad's lucky. I wonder why he gave this Nancy girl a check...is it the same Nancy from that Starbucks last week?"

Pete was too confused to answer. He ran a hand down his face, "I needa talk to my dad."

"Why?"

"Because, I do," he stated shortly. "I'll be right back."

Pete didn't wait for her to respond before he hurried out the room, practically running down the stairs. It was a Saturday, so he knew his dad would be home; his mom was in the living room, knitting and watching TV. He surpassed her, getting her attention, "Where are you off to?" Dale asked.

"To talk to dad," Pete muttered angrily.

"He's not here. He should be home soon, he called--" she was cut off by the door opening and closing, "There he is."

Pete stood, anger shooting through him, because he had a feeling that his dad was the reason Nancy left. As Peter entered, he did so without a care, smiling, but stopped once he saw Pete with a dangerous glare, "Whoa, you okay, son?"

Pete wasn't sure what to say, he wanted to hit him or hit the wall. He was pissed off, the words fumbled in his angry thoughts.

"Pete?" Dale called to him.

Pete held up the check and note, "Nancy sent you a check."

Both of his parent a frowned; Dale asked, "A check for what?"

"I don't know!" Pete exploded, "Why did she send you a check? Have you been in contact with her? What's the reason for with $10,000 check?"

Dale stood up, eyes wide, "$10,000?"

"What was it for?" Pete asked.

Peter felt stuck and dumbfounded. He was caught, but he searched his mind desperately for a lie. He wasn't successful.

"Peter, what's this money for?" Dale asked.

Pete handed the check and note to her, "I know it isn't for hospitality because she's working at some restaurant, so she ain't rich. What's it for?"

Peter sighed, "Look, I...I just...helped her get on her feet."

"You were the one who told me she was no good!" Pete shouted, "You said that kid wasn't mine and that she was ruining my life! You said she was bad! Why help her if she's fuckin' poison, dad?!"

"I paid her to leave!" Peter confessed; he felt smothered and trapped, "There! You happy? I told you the truth, I made Nancy leave, and it was for a good reason! You're on your way to becoming a lawyer, you've got a bright future--"

"Stop talking," Dale said shortly, "you are not allowed to explain yourself."

Pete had no words left; he grabbed the check from his mom's hand and balled it up and stuffed it into his pocket, "You don't deserve to be paid back. You ruined my life."

Pete rushed away with his father exhaling, "I did it for you! You have a life now!"

Pete continued up the stairs and into his room; Crystal was sitting on the bed, having heard it all. She stared at him, "That Nancy girl...she had your baby?"

Pete's anger evaporated, "I...yes, Crys. I'm sorry I didn't tell you--"

Crystal stood up, raising her hand to shut him up, "I'm so out of here. I can't believe you didn't tell me this."

"I didn't want--"

Crystal cut him off, all the while gathering her things, "Shut up, you're unbelievable."

"Look, what me and Cy had--"

The look she have him made his body stiffen; her top lip curled, brow furrowed deeply, "Cy? You call her Cy?!"

Pete had forgotten he had been calling Crystal that for the past week, "I...I'm sorry--"

Crystal shoved past him, "Go to hell!"

Pete shut his eyes as he listened to her stomp down the stairs and then slam her way out the front door. He could've followed after her, but he felt no obligation to. Instead, Pete slipped on his shoes, grabbed his keys and headed out.

He wasn't going after Crystal, he was going after Nancy.


"How you feelin', Holly?" Patrick carried Holly from her bedroom to the living room, "Feeling better?"

"Uh-huh," she murmured against his shoulder tiredly, "where's mama?"

"She's at work, but she'll be home in two hours."

Holly yawned and held onto Patrick, "C'n we play Cinderella, Patrick?"

Patrick smiled and set her down, "Sure."

"C'n I wear muh dress?" She rubbed her eyes and smiled at him.

"Yeah, I'll help you put it on."

Patrick went to her toy chest in the corner of the living room and got her things out to play Cinderella. Her favorite part to act out was the ball; she'd dance with Patrick and have pretend tea, and then Patrick would mimic the dong of the clock and Holliday would take her sock off to take place of the slipper and then rush out the room to make it home before midnight. Andy had taught this to Patrick, but he always got the "dong" part wrong; he was slowly getting the hang of it.

Holliday went to the stereo and picked up the CD Andy had bought her for Christmas; a collection of Disney songs. Patrick blushed to himself as Wish Upon a Star played softly and Holliday grinned at him. He cleared his throat, always feeling embarrassed, "Would you like to dance, Princess Holly?" He put his hand out for her to take.

Holliday nodded, "Yes Prince Charming," she put her hands in his. Then she stood her socked covered feet over his own. Patrick got this part down well, it took over a month of carrying Holliday around to get the movement of her weight right with his. He can dance pretty well with her; Patrick moved around the room, swaying back and forth until someone knocked at the door.
♠ ♠ ♠
Who do you thinks at the door?
This chapter is dedicated to Rae because I love her and she's the main one who comments on my dumb story, and she's been waiting for this part for a long time