The Fast Times

Forty One

Pete looked up at the apartment complex in front of him, looming overhead like a black cloud. He tried to figure out where apartment 16B could be; he went up to the door, finding it locked. He looked around and saw the only way he would be able to get inside is if he had a code or if he buzzed an apartment. He didn't want to startle Nancy, he felt clueless, and stepped back; he waited, thinking, until a man came out, pushing the door opened wide. Pete shot over and hurried in, past the door and inside.

The door shut behind him, he looked around; it was quiet, but he could see that the bottom floor was A. He started up the stairs and saw apartment 14B; he exhaled, relieved and looked around. He paused briefly upon laying eyes on 16B. Pete was suddenly nervous, but he forced himself to move his feet.

Pete went up the remaining stairs, and to the left, then stood at the door. He inhaled and pressed his ear to the door, wondering if she was even home. He could hear music playing, real soft, and then he decided to knock.

His heart pounded in his chest as he waited. He was almost ready to run down the stairs and forget it. But, the thought of losing everything not so long ago made him stay.

Finally, the door opened, just a bit, and Pete saw a familiar face. He smiled instinctively, while Patrick frowned, "The hell?"

"Hey Stumph," Pete chuckled. "Is Nancy around?"

Patrick was dumbfounded, jaw slacked, "Uh...how-how do you--does she know--why are you here?" He closed the door so Pete couldn't see inside.

Pete's smile faded, "I needa talk to Cy, it's important."

"She's not here, she's at work," Patrick stammered.

"When does she--"

Pete was cut off right then by a tiny, but mighty voice saying, "You is a bad Prince Charmin', Patrick!"

Patrick turned his head, smacking his face against the door, and then groaning. Pete bit back a small laugh. Patrick closed the door more as he leaned back to tell Holliday, "Hey, start the song over, I'll be there in a second."

Holliday whined, "I want mommy!"

Patrick looked back at Pete, "Hold on."

Pete sighed as Patrick stepped back into the apartment and closed the door. He couldn't hear him talking anymore, he just waited, watching the door. After a minute, Patrick opened the door, "Look, Cy won't be back for another hour and a half. I'm babysitting right now."

Pete nodded, "Can I wait here?"

Patrick's eyes grew wide, again, he looked back, then proceeded to step outside, closing the door just a bit, "Holliday doesn't know who you are--"

"Holliday?" He asked, "That's her name?"

Patrick nodded, "Yeah. She doesn't know who her dad is, Cy never brings or ever brought you up, so don't say anything. If she asks who you are, just say you're a friend, okay?"

Pete agreed with a quick nod, "Yeah, okay, Patrick."

Patrick sighed, "Nancy's gonna kill me."

Pete followed behind Patrick into the apartment; he could hear Disney music playing, this time it was This Is Halloween. He smiled, his eyes scanning the room; there were pictures of little Holliday all over, on the walls as were drawings she had done. His eyes stopped on the little girl with thick brown hair, with bits of golden strands, large eyes and tanned skin; she wore a blue dress and one white sock, the other was in her hand.

"C'n we play again?" She asked Patrick; then her large hazel eyes moved over to Pete, "Who dat?"

Pete felt butterflies in his stomach; her eyes locked onto his, and he felt connected to her instantaneously. His heart was in his throat; Patrick cleared his throat then, "This is my friend Pete," Patrick looked back at him, "Pete this is Holliday."

Holliday stepped over, tilting her head at him; Pete could barely breathe. She smiled at him, reminding him of exactly who she came from -him and Nancy. Holliday looked exactly how he'd expect their child to look like, more like her than him.

"Hi! Ya know mommy?" Holliday asked.

Pete inhaled, feeling himself kneel down to face her, "Yeah, I know your mommy."

Holliday's wide eyes blinked at Pete, tearing at his heart strings. She smiled at him, causing him to fall harder in love with her. Her little giggle was like music to his ears; you could've knocked him out with a feather.

"You wanna play wit' me?" Holliday still smiled, her cheeks dipping deeply to show off her dimples.

Pete's eyes scanned over her face, noticing her little brown freckles. He couldn't get over how beautiful she is; his words stuck in his throat, "Play?"

She nodded vigorously, causing her loose curls to bounce, "Uh-huh! We c'n play doc'ta!"

Patrick watched this all, in awe at how overwhelmed with love Pete seemed to be. The joyous awe that he often felt when Holliday pulled him along and played with him. He was happy that she took to Pete, even if she didn't know the truth, and he was sure if she did, she would be attached to Pete, and he to her.

Pete was like a puppy, following Holliday to the living room and to her toy box. He wanted so badly to hug her and to kiss her cheek and ask her everything about her. He wanted to apologize and tell her how much he loves her. He wanted to tell her he was sorry he left. He was sorry he wasn't around and that he wasn't going to leave.

But right then wasn't the right moment. Not yet.


Nancy was all over the place at her job; serving and helping the busboys get rid of plates and sitting guests. She was exhausted and had two hours left; when she got a break in between, she went into the back and got on the closest pay phone and called her apartment. She leaned against the closest wall and listened to ring four times before Patrick picked up.

"He-hello?" There was no secret Patrick sounded worried.

Nancy caught on to it instantly.

"It's me," she said, "is everything okay, Patrick?"

Patrick hummed, "Yeah, uh, Holly is okay. She's up, she's not so sick anymore."

"Oh good. You know where the medicine is, right?"

"Cabinet in the kitchen," he answered. "When will you be back?"

Nancy exhaled as she looked down at her watch, "An hour at the most. I'm sorry about having you watch her so abruptly."

"It's okay, Cy. Uh, Holly is good...we were playing right now."

Patrick wanted to tell her Pete was there, but decided not to. If he did, he was sure she'd stress out and mess up, possibly get fired trying to get back.

"Tell her I love her. I'm gonna bring some takeout home, I've got a big tip tonight. Is there anything you want?"

"No, I'm good," Patrick said, "just take it easy, Cy."

"I am. Lemme talk to Holly Dolly."

Patrick grew nervous, "Uh, o-okay, hold on," he called to Holliday, who left Pete lying on the floor where she was pretending to operate on him. Patrick knelt down, holding the receiver to mute what he was gonna say your Holliday; "Don't tell your mommy Pete's here," he whispered.

Holliday giggled, "Why?"

"Cuz it's a surprise."

Holliday beamed, "I love surprises!"

"Yeah, I know," he smiled back at her, "don't tell."

She agreed, taking the phone from Patrick; he lifted and sat her on the counter edge, "Hi mommy."

Nancy relaxed when she heard her baby girl's voice, "Ooh, hi baby! Are you feeling better? Patrick's taking care of you?"

"Uh-huh, he's da bestest, mama. When ya comin' home?"

"Soon," Nancy said sadly, "I miss you."

"I miss you too, mama. I have a big surprise for you!"

"Aw! You do, baby girl? That's so sweet of you, I can't wait to get home 'n' see it."

"Me too!"

Nancy heard her name called before she could talk back to Holliday; she sighed sadly, "I have to go now, baby girl, you be good for Patrick."

"'Kay, mama. I love you."

Nancy's heart swelled, "I love you too. You're my favorite."

Holliday giggled, "You're my favorite too! See ya, mommy!"

"See ya," Nancy replied softly.

Patrick set Holliday down and heard her run back to the living room, "Cy?"

"I have to go," Nancy murmured again, "I'll be home soon."

"Okay, don't work yourself too hard."

Nancy smiled and shook her head, "I won't. See ya Patrick."

"Yeah, see you soon."

Nancy hung up and then washed her hands, returning to work.

Patrick had set the phone down and exhaled with relief. He wasn't sure how he'd explain Pete Wentz in her apartment, or why in the hell he was playing with her daughter. Patrick had some hate towards Pete for that, for the fact that he adores Holliday and couldn't imagine leaving or denying her. Even if she wasn't his, Patrick thought, he'd still be around and be a daddy to her, she deserved it. Patrick didn't think Pete deserved the tea parties, the fake operations, especially not the Cinderella game -all of that, to Patrick- was his and Andy's job, and he'd fight tooth and nail to keep it.

Even so, Patrick couldn't deny that if Pete wanted to be in her life, that he wouldn't stand in the way. Holliday deserves more than just him and Andy, she deserved more. Patrick was praying that at that very moment Pete was considering being her dad.

Pete, he had already decided the moment he saw Holliday, that he wasn't going anywhere. Her little giggles, smiles and pouts won him over, and he couldn't imagine not seeing her everyday. No matter how happy he was with her, he was still angry with himself for just letting Nancy go away without an explanation. He definitely, as he thought, would've taken his dad's money with her and gotten their own place, and he would've married her. Pete turned every angle of the whole situation in his head; did Nancy ask his dad for the check? Did his dad force it on her? Why didn't she just tell him?

Either way, Pete just wanted to talk to Nancy and repair it all. He wanted Holliday more than anything, and he wasn't going to go without a fight this time around. He just needed to tell Nancy first.


Nancy, Rae and Sabrina were both returning home at the same time; Nancy with takeout from the Chinese place down the block. The trio went inside and talked about what mess Holliday would probably have Patrick in.

"He loves her," Sabrina laughed, "I'm sure he probably has his tea party hat on."

Nancy laughed, "He begged me to hide it."

"Me too!" Rae added, "I just bought a duplicate."

"The yellow one with the feather?" Sabrina asked with a laugh as they got to the top of the stairs.

"Yep," Rae nodded with a grin.

"Poor Patrick," Nancy giggled, "he likes it though," she opened the door, hearing the TV and Holliday giggling. "Holly Dolly!"

The girls went in and stopped dead in their tracks when they saw Pete there, with Holliday riding on his back. She was laughing her head off; the shock exploded through Nancy, even Rae and Sabrina stood surprised. Patrick had came from the kitchen with a water bottle, but paused when he saw Nancy.

"Oh shit," he said.

Holliday giggled; Pete stopped, noticing the women there, and then put Holliday down. She continued on giggling and clung to Pete's leg, "Patrick said a bad word!"

Holliday had spun around Pete and saw Nancy, then she jumped up and ran over, "Mommy! Surprise!"

Nancy was in shock still, but bent down setting the food down, and picked Holliday up, "What the...surprise?"

"Patrick say Pete is ya surprise! Surprise! You surprised, mama?"

Nancy swallowed, looking back at Holliday, whose wide eyes were filled with excitement, "Y-yeah," she murmured and stepped back.

Rae took the opportunity to step forward, "What are you doing here?" She asked Pete calmly, not to frighten Holliday.

Pete looked at Patrick, then Nancy and Holliday, then right back at Rae, "I came to talk to Cy."

The room was quiet and heavy with tension. Everyone looked at Nancy, who wasn't sure what to think. She couldn't believe Pete was here, and he had been playing with Holliday.

It was bittersweet.

"We should go," Sabrina said, "Patrick?"

Patrick nodded, going over and grabbing his shoes and then over to Nancy and Holliday, and kissing her cheek, "I'll see you tomorrow, Holly."

Holliday waved to them, "Bye bye, B'ina, bye bye Patrick."

Sabrina and Patrick were gone, the tension seemed to grow. Pete looked at Nancy expectantly; "Cy?"

Nancy touched Rae's arm, "Uh, Rae, take Holly into the kitchen and give her some food."

Rae looked back at Nancy and took Holliday, then the food, "I'll be right in there. C'mon, baby girl, let's eat."

Nancy and Pete stared at one another; finally, she grabbed his arm and pulled him towards her and Holliday's bedroom. She pushed Pete in, gently, and shut the door behind her.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm homesick