The Fast Times

Forty Three

Rae was sitting on the couch when Nancy reemerged from her bedroom. She exhaled deeply as she entered, catching Rae's glance, "Okay, kick my ass, I'm waitin' for it."

Rae smirked, almost laughing, "The only ass I'm gonna kick belongs to Pete Wentz."

Nancy went over and plopped down beside her, "If it's any consolation, I don't wanna be with him."

"You act like I'm your girlfriend or something," Rae kidded.

"No, but you're more important to Holliday than Pete is, and you probably always be. You're her second mom."

Rae smiled, "I am, but I don't wanna stand in the way of what makes Holliday happy and what's important; she needs a daddy."

"She has two, according to her."

That caused them to giggle; "Patrick and Andy are like her daddies though, they know her more than Pete'll ever will."

After a moment of silence, minus the TV, Nancy went on, "We apologized to each other...he was on drugs, I got a little of the story of why he dismissed me two years ago."

"Is he on drugs now?"

"I don't think so," she murmured. "He was just adamant about being in Holly's life...who am I to stop him? Dale needs to meet her too."

"What'd he say about his dad?"

Nancy sighed, "Not much, but he told me to keep the money..." she went on to explain everything to Rae, to which she smiled at this, "...We can find a house, with my savings and yours, Rae, we can get out of here, get Holliday her own room."

"Me and Andy were talking about it, too," Rae added, "we were looking at places near Arlington Heights...Andy and his friends wanna open their own shop."

Nancy grinned, "Really? That's awesome!"

Rae hummed, a small smile on her lips, "We just didn't know if you and Holly wanted to come along, since it's so far from where your parents are buried...and now Pete and his family, do you wanna come?"

Nancy thought for a moment, "I do...but, ya'know, let me think about it, okay? Either way, Rae, I think it's awesome, you and Andy should totally move out there."

"We don't wanna leave you and the munchkin behind."

"You guys are too sweet to me. I don't wanna keep her from you guys, either, so I'm more than happy to come along."

Rae grinned now and pulled Nancy into a hug, "Aw, Cy!"

Nancy giggled against her shoulder, "Yeah, yeah, I love you too!"

•••

Dale went all out the following morning, she bought Holliday a gift for each birthday and Christmas. Pete was dumbfounded when he and Crystal went downstairs; the living room was in a mess of wrapping paper and toys yet to be wrapped. Andrew was helping Hilary, rather making a mess.

"Whoa," Pete mumbled, "mom, what's all this stuff? Is this for Holly?"

Dale hummed, "Yep."

"Where's dad?" He asked then, "Is he gonna be here when Holly and Nancy get here?"

"I don't think so," she replied. "What time are they coming?"

"Cy said she'd call."

Crystal bit back a small groan; she was trying to hold back all the anger she had towards Nancy, even though she didn't know her, and she was trying to be supportive. Despite how angry she was, she still loved Pete, and she'd do anything to make him happy. If this meant having to deal with a little girl and her mother, then so be it.

"We're gonna go eat," Pete said then, "happy wrapping."

Andrew scoffed, "You should help, this is your kid!"

Pete just laughed, leading Crystal to the kitchen.

Last night, he and Crystal talked a little about their future; Pete wasn't sure there'd be a future between them, but didn't know how to say it. Crystal didn't want to leave New York, and she got the feeling Pete would be faithful to her, so there wasn't much fear about leaving him. She was more so sadden that she wouldn't see him everyday like she had been for the past 6 months. Pete didn't want to be with anyone, even though he had feelings for Nancy still, he just wanted to be happy with his baby girl.

"When they get here," Pete began, "I know you'll wanna claw Nancy's eyes out--"

Crystal shook her head, "No, I don't. I only care about you. I'm not worried."

Pete smiled faintly, "Thanks."

As they silently began to get cereal, the house phone rang. Pete's heart picked up almost instantly; he reached over and picked up the receiver, "Hello?"

On the other end was not Nancy, but his father; "Pete? Where's your mom?"

Pete was quiet for a moment, "Dad, ma's busy. Are you coming home?"

Peter was quiet too, unsure how to answer, "No."

"I want you to," Pete murmured, "what you did was messed up, but Nancy 'n' me talked, and she explained everything. I'm not mad..." He lied a little, but that made no difference to him, "I want you to come home and meet Holly."

Peter, who was sitting in office at work, shook his head. The man was on the verge of tears; all night long, he had thought about all the things he did wrong, and he wanted to apologize, but didn't know how. Hearing his son say all this made it all a bit better; "How about you bring her by my office? I'm swamped with paperwork."

Pete exhaled softly, "Yeah, okay. I'll see."

"Tell your mom I'm sorry and I'll be home tonight."

"Alright, dad, I'll see you."

Father and son hung up; Pete continued on pouring cereal with Crystal, then they sat at the table. Before he could start eating, the phone rang again; he got up, hearing a sigh from Crystal, but ignored it; "Hello?" He said as he placed the phone to his ear.

"Hey...it's me," Nancy said softly, "I called in sick to work, but I have to go to Georgio's tonight. What time do you want me to bring Holly over?"

"Uh, as soon as you want, my mom is going crazy right now."

Nancy giggled, "We'll be over soon then, I just gotta feed the munchkin. I'll bring some of her baby pictures and stuff...is that okay?"

Pete smiled, "Yeah, mom'll love that."

"Alright, I gotta wake up Holly, eat and then be over 'round noon."

"Okay, see ya then."

"See ya."

Pete hung up, biting his lip; he felt excited, finally getting to share Holly with his family.


Holliday ate her scrambled eggs slowly, trying to watch cartoons at the same time. Nancy was fixing her braids and getting herself ready. After she finished Holliday's hair and dressed herself; she made sure Holliday had her shoes on; "Ya done eatin'?"

Holliday hummed, "Yeah-huh."

Nancy grabbed her bowl and took it to the kitchen, "Okay, Holly, go get your sweater, keep quiet, don't wake up Rae."

Holliday skipped to their bedroom and grabbed her sweater, and the purse Rae bought her, and then returned, "'m ready!"

Nancy grabbed her own sweater and then knelt to help Holliday put her's on; "We're going to daddy's house to meet his mommy...are you excited?"

Holliday shrugged, "Is she nice?"

"Yeah, she's really nice, baby. She's never met you and she wants to," Nancy made sure her dress was on and her tights were up, shoes were tied, "are you ready?"

Holliday nodded, "Uh-huh."

Nancy stood and grabbed her bag, and Holliday's old diaper bag with photos and her birth certificate, and held her hand out for Holliday to take, which she did, "Let's go then, gorgeous."

Holliday giggled and followed Nancy out of the apartment and then down the stairs. She hummed and followed happily beside her mommy, not a single care in the world. Nancy led Holliday to her car, buckled her in and off they went; she was all nerves as she drove, wondering what Dale would say and think of her.

Nancy drove the familiar way to the Wentz house, along the way, she drove past her old home, seeing a family was now living where she had with her grandmother Alma; "Holly, you see that house with the little boy?" Holliday looked out the window, seeing a little boy a bit older than her chasing a boy, and hummed, "I used to live there with my grandma Alma."

Holliday looked forward at Nancy, "You lived dere?"

Nancy smiled at her funny little voice and nodded, "Yeah, I loved that house."

"How come ya don't live dere now?"

She frowned, "Well, I had to leave, it was too much money to stay."

"Sorry, mama," Holliday murmured.

"Aw, thank you, baby doll."

Nancy continued on, letting her emotions thin out as she arrived at the Wentz's. She inhaled deeply, parking out front; she saw their dogs, Pandora, and a new English bulldog. Holliday saw then and squealed, "Mommy! Mommy! They has doggies!"

Nancy smiled and laughed, "Yeah, the black one is named Pandora."

Holliday awed at it and whined to get out of the car, so Nancy climbed out with her bags and went to her side of the backseat. She tried not to think about the fact she was going to be seeing Dale again with her daughter; guilt was evident in her heart and in her features. Nancy helped Holliday out and set her on the sidewalk; Holliday ran to the black iron fence and called to the dogs, "Hi doggies! Hi!"

Nancy giggled and took her hand gently, "Baby, they're bigger than you, you gotta be careful."

As she entered the gate, the dogs barked and whined, gaining the attention of Pete inside. Nancy picked up Holliday so the dogs wouldn't knock her over and carried her up the steps. Pete opened the door, excitedly seeing them there, "Hey!"

Holliday's attention was on the dogs, she giggled and waved at them; they followed behind them.

"Hey," Nancy said, "can you take these bags for me."

Pete took the diaper bag and her purse, "Come in, everyone is in the living room."

The dogs followed in the house, Pete commanded them to heel, "Down Hemingway, down Pandora," which they did and then slowly followed behind.

Nancy was slow to enter the living room; she was nervous still; Holliday was watching the dogs behind her.

As they entered the living room, Dale shot up, "There you are!"

Nancy smiled and set Holliday down, "Hi Mrs. Wentz."

Dale went over, "I missed you, honey! This must be Holliday."

Holliday wasn't as accepting to strangers that were so forthcoming; she quickly hid behind Nancy. Nancy smiled and petted her head, "She's a little shy. Once you get to know her, she'll fall in love with you for life."

Dale knelt to Holliday, "Did I scare you? I'm sorry, Holliday, I'm your grandma Dale...I bought you presents."

Holliday still hid; they all laughed a little. Pete knelt as his mom stood and stepped back. He tugged Holliday's hand gently, she turned and rushed into his arms and buried her face into Pete's shoulder, to which he cooed, rubbing her back, "Aw, baby girl, are ya nervous? Grandma's nice."

Holliday turned her head and saw Dale standing a few feet back; Dale waved her fingers at her. Holliday waved back and whispered, "'m Holly."

Dale fell for her, just like Pete had, "It's great to finally meet you, Holly," she said softly, "you wanna come open the presents I got you?"

Holly shrugged, Pete and Nancy both smiled; Pete kissed her cheek, carrying her towards the couch where Hilary was sitting, "I'll open them with you, okay?"

Holly sat in Pete's lap, clinging to his shirt, "Mama, c'mere," she murmured.

They all gave soft laughs; except for Crystal, who was sitting on the end of the other couch where Pete had been sitting with her. She kept quiet, letting Pete have his moment with Holliday. Her eyes did follow Nancy as she sat beside Pete.

Dale came over and sat on the floor with Andrew, grabbing the presents, "One for every birthday I missed, and Christmases."

"Mrs. Wentz, you didn't have to do this," Nancy said quickly.

Dale shook her head, "I wanted to," she handed a small present to Holliday, "here you go, I hope you like it."

Holliday smiled and looked at Nancy for confirmation to take it; Nancy nodded, as soon as she did, Holliday tore it open. She squealed happily when she saw fake princess jewelry, "Thank you! Thank you, gamma!"

Holliday hopped off Pete's lap and went to hug Dale; Nancy knew that this would happen. Pete, Andrew and Hilary all laughed; Crystal only watched, as did Nancy, who just smiled.

"You're welcome, sweetheart," Dale kissed her forehead, "your daddy told me that you love Cinderella and Disney things, so I bought what I thought you'd like. Open another one, these are all for you."

Holliday grinned and hugged her again, "You are nice!"

Dale laughed, "Aw, thank you. I love you."

Holliday looked at her, "Love you too," then she got up to show Nancy her present, "lookie, mama!"

"That's awesome, baby girl! Grandma got you a nice gift, let's see what else she got you."

Holliday set the jewelry in Nancy's lap and dove back into the gifts. All while she opened presents, Nancy took out her baby book filled with pictures and let Hilary and Andrew see them. Pete had leaned over to look, listening to Nancy tell stories about Holliday.

Her first steps: "Andy had gotten the Jungle Book on tape and Holliday got up and wobbled towards him, it was so cute!"

Her first words: "I tried to make her say mama or mommy, and Patrick walks in and teaches her how to say punk rock," they all had laughed, "so, she'd go around calling me "ma-punk rock!" I was so mad at him for it."

The first time she used the toilet: "Andy helped her and she fell in and thought it was best thing to ever happen to her. There's a picture in there."

Pete had smiled and laughed at the stories and the pictures. Holliday giggled and played with her toys, telling Dale all about herself and her favorite things. Crystal had joined in, but only a bit, after Pete properly introduced them.

This meeting between them, Nancy could see the animosity in Crystal's eyes. She wanted to tell her she had nothing to worry about; she got the chance when Crystal went to get herself something to drink. Nancy had grabbed Holliday's sippy cup and followed after her; in the kitchen, she took a gentle hold of Crystal's arm, "Hey, can I talk to you for a second?"

Crystal nodded, holding back a small frown, "Sure."

Nancy exhaled softly, "I want you to know that what me and Pete had is long gone. I don't have feelings for him, I'm sure he doesn't have feelings for me. I don't want you to worry, it's all about Holly, I promise you...I hope I didn't come off as threatening towards you."

Crystal felt a small victory in her chest; she smiled faintly, "No, I understand."

"Great. I just wanted to make it clear...besides, I don't have time for men, I'm always working and I'm returning to school this fall."

Crystal nodded, "That's...awesome. You're a great mom."

"Thank you," Nancy smiled, "I appreciate you being involved...in this aspect of Pete's life. I hope it's not...it doesn't bother you."

"It's fine," Crystal murmured, "Holly comes first, I know that."

Nancy was relieved, "As long as we're on the same page."

Crystal gave a nod, "We are."

"Again, thanks for understanding."

Crystal just hummed and left the room, causing Nancy to cock a brow. She wasn't too sure about it then; there was still animosity based off the way she just left the room. Nancy shook it off, continuing to get Holliday juice.
♠ ♠ ♠
Do you think Crystal will ever come around?

(HAPPY ONE YEAR ANNIVERSAY FOB!)