The Fast Times

Forty Four

Nancy and Holliday spent the next 3 hours with Pete and his family; Nancy told stories and Holliday added her own little commentary and jokes. Dale was in love with Holliday and kept most of her attention on her, as did Hilary; Andrew played with Holliday a little until his friends came over to go out. Holliday loved them all now, not because of the toys, but because they made her laugh and made her happy.

Nancy felt deep regret for leaving; that's all she kept thinking, seeing Dale and Hilary with Holliday. Pete stood by, engaging a small amount, but was mostly letting his mom and sister have their time with her. Pete also kept his time limited to spare Crystal's feelings.

When 3:45 rolled around, Nancy sighed, "I have to go," she said, "I have work in about an hour and it's a long drive back to the city."

Dale frowned, "Oh, really?"

Nancy nodded, "I'm sorry, maybe Pete can pick up Holliday later? Rae's gonna watch her."

"I can watch her," Dale offered, "I'll even drop her off."

"You've done a lot already, Mrs. Wentz, I don't--"

She cut Nancy off, "Call me Dale, and I want to, she's my grand baby."

Nancy smiled, "Okay. You wanna stay here, Holly?"

Holliday looked up at her, shrugging, "I dunno."

"Well, you can stay here with grandma or you can go home and stay with Rae," Nancy offered her, "your choice, baby doll."

Holliday tweaked her lips, "I wan' stay 'ere."

Nancy hummed, "You sure? I'm gonna go to work and I'll be there all night. You want grandma to drop you off later with Rae?"

"Yeah," she nodded.

"Alright," she grabbed her bag and pulled out a small notebook she carried for Holliday, and a pen, "Mrs. Wentz, this is my friend Rae's number, at her job and our apartment. Whenever Holly wants to come home, you can call her, she'll either be home or Patrick, or his girlfriend Sabrina will be at their place one floor above us."

Dale took the note with Rae's numbers, "Alright; I'm thinking 7 or 8 will be a good time?"

"Yeah, she'll be sleepy by then. Holly isn't picky about eating, but she'll tell you what she does and doesn't like."

Dale smiled and kissed Holly's head as she played with her new dolls in her lap, "Little miss independent."

Nancy rolled her eyes playfully, "Oh, yeah."

As Nancy prepared to leave, she knelt with Holliday by her toys; by this time, Dale had gone to make a snack, Crystal had gone upstairs, and Pete and Hilary were on the floor beside Holliday. Nancy smiled at Holliday, hugging her, "I have to go now, you'll be okay?"

Holliday nodded with a smile, "Uh-huh."

"Grandma Dale has Rae's number and if you wanna come home, she or daddy'll drop you off, okay?"

"Okay," Holliday murmured.

Nancy cooed and kissed her forehead, "Be good, I love you, Holly Dolly."

Holliday giggled, "I love ya too, mama."

Nancy exhaled and stood up, kissing the top of her head; she looked to Pete, warning him, "Take care of her."

Hilary smirked at Pete, "Don't worry, Cy, I'll make sure he will."

"Thanks, Hilary."

Hilary gave a small nod, "No problem."

Before going, Nancy gave Holliday a big hug and a kiss, repeatedly telling her she loves her until she absolutely had to go. Holliday waved and resumed to playing with Hilary and Pete; she was comfortable there, knowing they all wanted nothing more than to play and make her giggle.


The ride home was quiet for Nancy, she didn't like it, but she knew Holliday was in good hands. She hated the silence, she hadn't had silence like it in the longest time, even on her way to work, noises around her made her think of her little girl. Driving home, she didn't have the little noises; the little hums to songs Holliday didn't know on the radio made her miss her even more.

In the apartment, coming into silence, she frowned; daytime and silence didn't sit well, because she knew Holliday would be laughing loudly or playing her Disney CD with someone. She shut the door behind her, walking to her bedroom; she could hear Rae in her room talking on the phone, most likely to Andy. Nancy ignored it and undressed and went to put on her black slacks and white button up shirt, and put her hair up.

"Cy?" Rae called as she came out her bedroom, "Holly?"

"It's just me," Nancy said as she came out her bedroom, "Holly's with Pete and his family."

Rae cocked a brow, "Already?"

"She didn't want to leave."

"Oh, okay," Rae murmured, "I was gonna take her to the park, but I guess I can go in and take my client right away."

"Sorry."

Rae waved it off, "It's okay, it's kinda weird...I won't have to think of the munchkin a lot now."

"Dale loves her," Nancy relayed, "uh, I gave her your number at the shop just in case Holly wants to come home before you, is that okay?"

"Yeah, I'm just gonna be hanging out at the shop with Andy anyway, I think I'm gonna have him finish the piece on my leg."

Nancy smiled, "Alright, I should be home late, sorry."

"Stop apologizing, Cy!" Rae laughed, "We're all used to this already, we love to have Holly around."

"I feel like a mooch sometimes."

"You're not," Rae patted her shoulder. "Are you leaving right now?"

Nancy nodded, "Yeah, you want me to drop you off?"

"Yep," Rae said.

"Alrighty, let's go!"


Holliday ate and played until she tired herself and everyone else out. She fell asleep in Pete's lap, clutching her brand new stuffed panda bear. Pete was on the verge of falling asleep himself; Crystal sat beside him on the couch, slightly upset that she couldn't rest against Pete, the way Holliday was lying, she couldn't.

Crystal bit at her lip and looked over at Pete, "Babe, I think it's time little Holly went home, don't you?"

Pete yawned, his hand rubbing Holliday's arm as she slept, "Yeah, I think so. I was kinda hoping to take her by my dad's."

"Maybe you can," Crystal murmured.

Pete sighed and got up, carefully, while holding Holliday. She wrapped her tiny arms around his neck, mumbling tiredly, but not waking. Pete carried her to the kitchen where Dale was, "Ma?"

Dale had just started dinner, she turned around, "Hmm?"

"I think I should take Holly home now."

"I'll call Rae for you."

Pete thanked her, "I'm gonna drop by dad's office before though, maybe have him see her outside."

Dale looked a bit taken aback when Pete said this, "Really?"

"Yeah. I want him to see her."

"Okay, you get her things, I'll tell Rae you're gonna drop her off."

Pete nodded and returned to the living room; he set Holliday down on the couch and made sure she was comfortable before gathering her things. Crystal helped him, placing Holliday's things in her small purse and then her toys in a large tote that Hilary gave her.

"Thanks," Pete said softly. "You still okay with this?"

Crystal nodded, "Yeah, I love you."

Pete cringed inwardly; he didn't feel that way towards Crystal, yet, he couldn't tell her the truth, "You wanna come with me to drop her off?" He asked instead of responding.

"Yes," she hummed.

It was quiet as they got Holliday's things; Dale returned to the living room, "Rae says you can drop Holly off at her shop. She says you know where it is."

Pete exhaled, "Okay. We should go now, I'll wake her up to say bye to ya, mom."

Dale smiled, "Aw, you don't have to wake her up."

Before Pete could say anything, Holliday stirred and woke up, yawning softly, then blinking rapidly, "Mommy?"

Pete went over to her, picking her up, "Hey, Holly, it's me...daddy."

Holliday frowned, "Daddy? Where's mama?"

Pete rubbed Holliday's back as she rested her head on his shoulder, "Mommy's at work, but I'm gonna take you to Rae."

Holliday yawned and nuzzled her face into his neck, "'Kay. I'm sleepy."

Pete smiled and continued to rub her back, "Yeah, I know, baby, you can sleep in the car."


Andy was wrapping Rae's leg up from the piece he had just finished. They were just about to head out, their co-workers showed up to take over, but Andy knew he'd be back after a short break, he wanted to hang out with Holliday. The couple waited in the front for Pete to show up with Holliday, talking a bit until he actually got there.

Pete came in with Holliday holding his hand; as soon as she laid eyes on Andy, it was like Pete didn't exist; "An'y!" She screeched happily, "You's not t'ttooin'?"

Andy picked her up, "Not for awhile, baby doll! I missed you, we're gonna have dinner, sound good?"

Holliday nodded with a big smile, "I wan' pee-zza!"

Rae turned her attention to Pete, who looked a little out of place; her anger towards him simmered away, though she still disliked him; "How'd you like having your little girl around?"

Pete smiled faintly, "It was awesome. We got her toys in my car."

Andy approached, "Cool, my car is in the parking lot on the side."

"I'm parked there too."

"Let's go, then," Rae said.

After saying a quick goodbye to their co-workers, Rae and Andy led the way out of the shop with Pete in tow. Holliday was still in Andy's arms, resting her head on his shoulder as she told him about her day, which she normally did. Pete was a little jealous to see how close they were, but couldn't complain, it was his fault too that he had shut her out years before.

He shook it off and went to his car, opening the back door, grabbing the toys. Crystal got out to help; Rae frowned deeply when she saw her, choosing not to say anything rude, "Hi, I'm Rae," she said instead.

Crystal forced a smile, "Crystal, I'm Pete's girlfriend."

"Nice to meet you..." Rae trailed. "How do you like Holly? Did she wear you out?"

Crystal shook her head, "She and Pete played, I just...kept my distance."

Rae's brows rose momentarily before she gave a nod, "Oh."

The awkwardness faded rather quickly as they put the toys in Andy's SUV, and then strapped Holliday into her booster seat (being transferred from Nancy's car, to Pete's and now Andy's). Pete was the one to buckle her in, while Crystal returned to the car, getting a second to say goodnight; "I'll see ya tomorrow, baby girl. I love you."

Holliday yawned softly, rubbing her eyes, "I love ya too, daddy."

Pete smiled and kissed her forehead, "Sweet dreams."

She giggled, waving her hand to him; Pete reluctantly closed the door and waved back at her from the window. Pete stepped back, heading towards his car, but Rae stopped him, "I'm glad you're coming around, but I'm telling you now, Pete, if you don't intend to, then it'll be better if you left now."

Pete frowned angrily, "You really think I don't intend to stay around my kid?"

"I'm saying, it gets rough having a kid. If Cy didn't have us," she gestured towards herself and Andy, "along with Patrick and Sabrina, she wouldn't have been able to handle Holly on her own. To have Holliday 24/7 takes patience and I hope you have it."

"I love her," Pete muttered, "I'll be as fucking patient as I need to be to have her around."

"I'm only looking out for her," Rae said, "you can think I'm the bad guy if you want, but I love and care about Holliday, and Nancy."

Pete calmed, "...I know you do, I appreciate you guys for being there for her when I couldn't, but I'm here to stay. I plan to be here everyday of her life."

Andy patted his shoulder, "Good, you take the load off sometimes," he kidded.

Pete smiled at this, "I'll always be there when she needs me."

Rae smirked, "You better, cuz if you don't, I'll make sure you regret it."

Andy laughed and shook his head as Pete frowned at her again; "C'mon, Rae, let's go."

Rae waved her fingers menacingly at Pete before turning and getting in the passenger side of the SUV. Pete walked towards his car, getting in, but undoubtedly thinking about what Rae had said. He was making the internal promise to himself that he'd never do anything intentionally to hurt Holliday.

In the SUV, Andy talked to Holliday softly, telling her about the cartoons he had drawn and tattooed. Holliday was always a sucker for his drawings and wanted to hear all about them, especially the colorful and gory ones. Rae asked her about her day with Pete and if she enjoyed herself.

"My gramma is nice, Aun'ie Rae," she said, "she buyed me toys and she makes yummy grill cheese!"

"Yeah? I'm so happy you had fun."

Holliday played with her stuffed panda in her lap, "I miss you, Aun'ie Rae...you watch me ta'morrow?"

Rae looked back and nodded, smiling at her, "Of course I will. We can go to the park."

"Yay! You too An'y?"

Andy looked back for a second, "Yeah, Holly Dolly, I'll go to the park with you and Rae tomorrow."

Holliday grinned happily, continuing on talking about what they'd do the following day.


Nancy arrived home from work, completely beat and tired; even so, she was excited to see Holliday. She pulled her shoes off before entering the house, and then locked it behind her as she did. Rae and Andy were on the couch watching TV; Holliday was in Andy's lap, dressed in pajamas and her new panda tucked in her embrace.

"Hey," Rae greeted her softly, "how was work?"

"Tiring," Nancy murmured, "how was Holly?"

"She was good," Andy answered, yawning softly, "she fell asleep a few hours ago, but I didn't wanna move her."

Nancy set her shoes and bag down, heading over, "I'll take her. Did she eat?"

"Yeah, we had vegan pizza and salad," Rae said, "she had a great time with Pete, but I'll let her tell you about it."

Nancy smiled and picked Holliday up, kissing her cheek, "Aw, my baby girl is wiped out just like me."

"You go on to bed, then," Rae said, "we won't be loud."

Nancy scoffed, "If you guys plan on having sex, I highly doubt that."

Andy laughed while Rae shook her head, "We don't do it while Holly's home."

Nancy laughed too, "I was kidding."

"No you weren't," Rae muttered jokingly.

"Goodnight, animals," Nancy waved as she left the room with Holliday.

"Night," Andy and Rae both called softly.

In her bedroom, Nancy set Holliday down on the bed with a pillow before undressing and then redressing in just a large t-shirt. She returned to bed, pulling the covers back and moving Holliday under them. She sat up and unbraided Holliday's hair and then covered her up, kissing her forehead, "I love you," she murmured.

Holliday didn't stir, she snored softly against her panda. Nancy turned out the light and sunk under the covers next to her, mindlessly petting her daughter's dark hair back. These nights are all she lived for; a hard day's work ending with sleep with her favorite little person.
♠ ♠ ♠
I have a feeling since this story isn't all that popular that it'll be ending soon. I just don't have the motivation I used to, a lot is going on in my life and I just feel defeatedly. Luckily, I'm going back to Chicago indefinitely to be with my boyfriend, because he got hurt and I never wanna leave his side again. That's the only joyful thing I've got going on, I just have to wait another week and a half to get there.
Anyway, I just thought the few readers that read this ought to know. Thanks for being awesome and reading, I appreciate it.

xxali