The Fast Times

Forty Five

The following morning, Holliday woke Nancy up earlier than her alarm. She crawled atop of mommy, cupping her cheeks with her palms, "Mama, wake up!"

Nancy groaned softly, "No, it's too early."

Holliday giggled, "Mama, ya have to! You make coffee ta'day!"

Nancy smiled and rubbed her eyes, "Yeah, I do. What are you gonna do today, baby girl?"

Holliday sat in Nancy's lap, "Um...Aun'ie Rae is takin' me to da park!"

Nancy wrapped her arms around her little girl, "She is? Where else are you goin'? Do ya wanna see daddy today?"

Holliday nodded, "Uh-huh."

"Okay, let's go get ready and I'll call him."

Nancy and Holliday got out of bed and headed to the bathroom. After showering, brushing teeth and getting ready for the day, Nancy began to do Holliday's hair while calling Pete. Pete was knocked out in his bed, not hearing the phone.

Dale was the one to pick it up, "Hello?"

"Hi Mrs. Wentz, how are you?"

Dale grinned, "Hey Nancy! I'm great this morning, how are you and Holly?"

"We're good, just woke up. I was calling to see if Pete wanted to see Holly today; I'm heading to work in about an hour and a half and Rae is gonna be with Holly until I get off work. I have to go to Georgio's tonight at 7, so Pete can pick her up around then if he wants."

"Sure thing," Dale replied, "we'll get it all sorted by tonight, I can't wait to see her."

"She's excited to see you too," Nancy said, "I have to go now, but we'll see you later, Mrs. Wentz."

Dale shook her head at Nancy still calling her by her married name, "Okay, hon, see you soon."

Nancy hung up and continued to make breakfast for Holliday and eat too. Holliday hummed as she normally did as she ate and Nancy admired her little girl. She looked so much like Pete, and herself, that it made her happy that she didn't have to get some blood test to ensure Pete would have to be in their daughter's life. As much as this made her happy, it also saddened her to the extent that she was remorseful for taking Holliday away and lying. Still, she wouldn't take it back, because Holliday had a lot of love and Pete got to go to school and was making something of himself.

"Do you like being with your daddy, baby?" Nancy asked her as she stirred her cereal around.

Holliday ate a spoonful and nodded, "Daddy's funny! 'N' Aun'ie Hilary is too! Gramma made yummy food, mama!"

Nancy smiled back at her beaming daughter, "That's awesome. Tell me what you guys did."

Holliday went on talking about her day with Pete and his family; Nancy interacted, laughing and asking questions. Rae had woken up during this, sitting with them to eat cereal too; Nancy frowned to herself when she saw the time on her watch, "Geez, I have to go."

"You get off at 3, right?" Rae asked.

"Yep, I'll be home with Holly and then Pete's gonna pick her up before I go to work."

"Alright, see ya, Cy."

Nancy kissed Holliday's head, "Love you, be good, and you have to take a bath."

"Do I have to?" She whined.

Nancy cocked a brow at her, "Um, yes, Smelly Melly."

Holliday giggled, "'Kay, mama."

Nancy waved bye as she went, leaving Holliday and Rae to themselves. Rae nudged her arm playfully, "Wanna play Mario Kart till bath time?"

Holliday grinned and nodded, "Uh-huh!"

Rae smiled and together they hurried to the living room to play video games.


Pete and Crystal were in the kitchen when his dad arrived home at last. Peter looked tired, but nonetheless went into the kitchen to have coffee. He wasn't surprised to see Pete, he actually smiled at his son half-heartedly, "Hey."

Pete was happy to see his dad; he had held onto a photo of Holliday in his hand, hoping his dad would come home.

"Hey. You wanna see Holly?"

Peter was reluctant, but knew he'd have to sooner or later; "Yeah."

As his father sat down across from himself and Crystal, Pete held up the polaroid, then slid it to him, "She's amazing, dad."

Peter sipped at his coffee as he held up the photo; he saw the big wide grin that reminded him too much of his family. The dimples were exactly like Pete's, at the corners of her mouth, and her bright hazel eyes dug into him. He exhaled, letting the only thing fall out of his mouth, "I'm sorry."

"I'm...I'm not all that mad anymore. It hurt a little, but Nancy raised her well and she's happy...she's great, dad, you have to meet her."

"I will," Peter handed the photo back, "when will she be back?"

"Later today; Nancy has to work and I'm gonna pick her up at like 6 or 7."

Peter nodded to himself, then looked over at Crystal, who looked uncomfortable; "Can you give us a minute?" He said directly to Crystal.

She hummed, "Sure...I should go get ready anyway."

Crystal kissed Pete before leaving the kitchen and heading upstairs. Pete looked at his father once she was gone, "What?" He asked.

"I want you to know that what I did was stupid and hurtful, but--"

"You did it for me. Cy says she took the money for me. But, why didn't you guys talk to me? I wanted Nancy then, I wanted our kid; I would've gone to school still--"

"You would've been distracted," Peter stressed, "I only want better for you and your brother and sister. I didn't want you guys to struggle like me and your mom did, you understand? We had you after we were finished with college and had good jobs, but getting there was hard work, we want things to be smooth for you three, Pete, that's why I did what I did. That's why I'm so tough on you guys and your education."

"I know dad, I know, I wanted--I want to finish school, but family comes first, and back then, Cy and the baby were my family. We could've done it together, but it got ruined...I had some faults too, but still...I was so heartbroken when she left me, I never wanted to see her again."

"My apologies won't even be enough," Peter murmured, "but I'll try and make it up to you and to Nancy."

"I only ask that you accept Holliday...she'll love you if you love her back."

"I will. I'm gonna apologize to her too."

"And, I want you to tell Cy that she can keep that money. She really needs it...you know, she lives in an apartment with her friend, 'n' she 'n' Holly share a bed. They could use a bigger place...hopefully close by."

Peter nodded, "I'll see what I can do."

"I don't want you to pay for anything, dad, I just want you to help her find a cheap place for her and Holly."

"I will. I will."

Pete exhaled, "Thanks, dad."

"Don't thank me, I don't deserve it."

"Yeah, but I'm doing it anyway," Pete chuckled.

Pete got up then, taking his and Crystal's bowls to the sink; "I'm gonna go get ready with Crystal. I'm dropping her off at the train station, she's going home."

"Okay. When you bring..." He paused as he met eyes with his son, "Holly?" Pete nodded, "When you bring Holly over, I'll be in my office."

"You should talk to mom," Pete added, "you guys got some stuff to work out."

Peter exasperated, "Don't I know it."

Pete patted his father's shoulder before heading upstairs.

In his bedroom, Crystal was already dressed and pacing. She didn't want to leave; the fearful thoughts of infidelity raced in her head. She was afraid Pete would cheat and possibly fall in love with Nancy -again. He hadn't told her much about Nancy, other than he loved her and she broke his heart when she left. To Crystal, that's all she needed to know; she was hoping that Pete would remember that and not stupidly make a mistake and sleep with Nancy.

"You okay?" Pete asked her as he entered.

Crystal looked at him, "Promise me you won't sleep with her."

Pete frowned at the words that tumbled from her pouty lips; "What? Sleep with who? Nancy?"

Crystal nodded vigorously, "Promise. Promise me you won't."

"I'm not gonna sleep with her," Pete muttered shortly, "how could I if I wanted to? She's always working somewhere and Holly is always around. And why would you even think I would?"

"Because you used to love her," Crystal murmured.

Pete hated how insecure Crystal could be at times. Though, she was beautiful, Pete did have a wondering eye; he wasn't one to be tied down, especially after being with Nancy. He shook his head at her, "That was a long time ago, Crys."

"Yeah, but things change. You could find her more attractive than me."

"I promise I won't sleep with her, babe," he went over and wrapped his arms around her, "do you believe me?"

She gave a small nod, "Yes."

"Don't worry. All I'll be doing while I'm here is playing with Holly."

Crystal exhaled, "Don't sleep with anyone else."

Pete had to laugh, pulling a small giggle from her, "I won't. I promise."

Crystal kissed him, wrapping her arms around his hips, "Good."

After a moment of silence, Pete let her go, "I have to get ready, how about you?"

Crystal hid her frown from the short feeling intimacy between them, "Just need to finish packing."

"I'll out of the shower soon, then we can go."

Crystal nodded and went to finish packing her clothes.

•••

Nancy got off of work and took the train home; it wasn't that far, but she was wiped out, nearly falling asleep. Once she got off, she headed down the last 4 blocks to get home. As she walked, a car slowed beside her, causing her to grow nervous, so she sped up.

"Cy?" Pete called out.

Nancy stopped and cursed herself as she looked over, "Pete," she sighed, relieved.

"Get in, I'm on the way to your place."

Nancy didn't hesitate to walk around the car and slide in the front seat. She exhaled again, "Thanks, I thought you were some creep."

He chuckled, "You're lucky I'm not."

"Where's your girlfriend?" Nancy asked casually.

"Uh, she left a few hours ago."

His earlier promises to Crystal ran through his head. He shook his head at the words she had said; they circled through his mind continuously like bad song.

"Back to New York?" Pete hummed to her question. "Oh, will she be back?"

"In a few weeks. She's in a sorority and they've got new pledges to haze or something," he muttered.

"Oh," she repeated. "I don't have that privilege," she started absentmindedly, "I take night classes, thank God for Rae."

"What're you studying?" He asked.

"Business. I wanna open my own clothing store or maybe a smoke shop with Andy and Rae."

"That's cool," Pete looked over at her momentarily, "do you have any tattoos?"

"Not yet," she said, "I plan to though, just to see how it feels. I see you've got some."

Pete smiled, "I just love pain."

She rolled her eyes playfully, "You haven't felt pain until a toddler kicks you in your already sore back while sleeping."

Pete's smile fell, "How come Holly doesn't have her own bed?"

"Our room is too small and I couldn't afford a nice crib, so she's always slept with me. There's no complaints, she loves to snuggle," Nancy replied.

"I told my dad that you're keeping the money," Pete began, "'nd I told him to help you find a place for you and Holly."

"No, Pete, I don't need him to pay--"

"I told him that, Cy," Pete smiled again, "he isn't gonna pay for anything, I just asked to help find a small house or maybe an apartment nearby for you guys, even Rae, so you and Holly can each have your own room."

Nancy looked at him, "Thank you. But, uh, Rae and Andy are gonna move to Arlington Heights to open their own shop and...I might go with them."

"That's not that far," Pete murmured to himself, "but it's longer than going downtown."

"I've been thinking about it, but I'm not sure if I'm gonna go. I'm still enrolled at UC, I got 3 years left, and my jobs...I'm in the heart of it all. I'm just afraid I won't be able to afford the rent when Rae leaves."

"What if I move in?" Pete asked without fully thinking.

Nancy cocked a brow, "What? Where would Holly sleep? I was planning on finally giving her her own space."

"I can sleep on the couch," Pete was grasping at straws. "Or," he started as he parked on the side of her building, "we can find a new apartment with 3 rooms, we can live together so Holly can see me everyday, and I can pay half the rent."

"Are you sure about that?" Nancy asked quizzically.

"Yeah. Why not? It works out for all of us. I'll start looking."

"Hold on, okay?" Nancy muttered, "I have to talk to Rae first, see what she thinks and says. Then, me and you will talk about it."

Pete nodded, "Yeah, okay."

Nancy smiled softly, "Alright, now, let's get upstairs and see the munchkin."
♠ ♠ ♠
Still unsure how'll end this...any ideas?