The Fast Times

Forty Seven

Pete carried Holliday up to his bedroom after she had fallen asleep. They had eaten dinner, played video games and she fell asleep in the middle. Pete had turned the game console off, picked her up and carried her to his bedroom.

He laid her down in his bed, the one he slept in, since it was clear of clutter. Holliday didn't stir, she just kept snoozing, clutching Prince Charming in her embrace. Pete sat beside her sleeping form, completely taken by her features, her face and hair. He couldn't believe he helped create such a beautiful little human; he couldn't believe he ever denied her. He tried not to retreat back to self loathing, he wanted to just be happy he had her now and he wasn't going to go away.

His chest tightened with how much he loves her. He never felt this way towards anyone or even a possession of his. He truly knew what it meant to be in love, and Holliday was it.

The scatter of little brown freckles reminded him of pixie dust; her dark curly hair was messy and out of place, reminded him of his own childhood and acting wild. The way she slept, clutching tight to her stuffed bear reminded him of when Nancy would sleep beside him and had spent the evening crying over her grandmother Alma.

Pete prayed Holliday wouldn't experience pain like that. He'd do anything to make sure his little girl never went to bed sad and fell asleep due to tears. All he wanted to do was protect her, all his needs went out the door.

He suddenly thought about Nancy and wanting to protect and take care of her as well. He hated the thought of her working so hard just to keep a roof over their daughter's head and food in her belly. The thought of Nancy not getting proper sleep or even time with Holliday made Pete upset, and he hated himself for letting it get that way. Pete was ready to take it all off of her shoulders and be the man, to give Nancy a break, to give Holliday the family she deserved.

Pete laid down beside his daughter and leaned over, kissing her temple, "I'm here to fix everything, baby girl," he murmured, "I love you."

Holliday hadn't heard him, she sighed softly in her sleep and nuzzled into the pillow. Pete wrapped an arm around her waist and shut his eyes, falling asleep a few quiet minutes later.


Nancy was just about to end her shift when she was summoned to take on one more table. She bit her tongue and went to take the order of which; as she approached, she noticed a familiar male sitting across from a dark haired woman, looking down at a cellphone. Her heart flew into her throat when the man looked up; she saw her uncle Norman.

Nancy hadn't spoken Norman since Darla had caught them on the phone together. Her stomach was immediately in knots as she approached, praying they wouldn't notice her, but she knew it was dumb to wish such a thing. Nancy took a breath as she stopped at their table, handing them menus, "Welcome to Georgio's; I'm Nancy, your waitress tonight."

Norman and Darla both looked up; both at a loss for words. They faced their estrange niece; Darla blinked rapidly before speaking, "Nancy? Cy?"

Nancy nodded, keeping cool, "Yes. Can I start you off with drinks and bread?"

"Is that all you're gonna say?" Darla smiled as if they had spoke just hours before, "How about, it's great to see you Auntie D?"

Nancy looked at her incredulously, "Miss, I don't want to get fired and I'm not in the mood to argue. Please tell me what you'd like to drink so I can finish my shift."

Darla frowned sadly, "Nancy--"

Norman cut his wife off, "Nancy, can we talk? We haven't spoke in so long--"

"I don't get paid to talk," she said softly, her tone flat, "I'll let you read over your menus while I get your drinks. Would you like wine?"

Norman decided to just do as Nancy advised, "Beer, local. Darla will have iced tea with lemon."

Nancy hummed, "Sure. I'll be right back."

Darla watched her niece walk away, her lips still turned down. She honestly didn't think she had done long term damage to Nancy, but she was sadly mistaken.

"What did you think Nancy would do after all these years?" Norman hissed shortly.

Darla didn't answer, she shut down, her stomach churning, her appetite taking a nosedive; "We should go," Darla advised.

Norman agrees with it, "I'll leave a tip and our number," he said, "you have to apologize to her."

Darla sighed deeply, "Yeah...I know."

Norman grabbed his wallet and pulled out two crisp $100 bills; "Gimme the pen in your purse and a receipt," he said to his wife.

Darla grabbed her purse and found a pen and receipt, handing it to Norman. Norman began to write their number down, but he wasn't fast enough; Nancy returned to the table with their drinks.

"So, did you have a chance to look at our menu?" Nancy kept on the flat tone.

"Cy, can we talk?" Darla asked quickly.

"No," Nancy spat. "Would you like to hear the specials?"

Norman shook his head, "We're just gonna have our drinks and leave. But, I'm going to leave my number so we can talk."

"I don't want to talk," she muttered, "I appreciate it if you would finish quickly and leave, I have to pick up my child."

Darla and Norman looked at each other, both feeling deeply sadden. Norman gave a small nod, "We'll leave as soon as we're finished."

"Great. Anything I can get you to hurry this along?" Nancy spoke shortly.

"No...no, we're okay," Norman murmured, "thanks."

Nancy hummed and walked away; her emotions were high, she was angry. She couldn't believe that they of all people walked into the restaurant and were so cool and calm. Nancy wanted to smack Darla, but ignoring their request was good enough for her.

She stayed at the bar until they left; she watched them pay their bill, then slip out of the restaurant. Nancy was on the verge of tears, remembering the things Darla had said, the names she called her replayed in her head. Nancy firmly believed she'd never forgive her aunt ever.

Nancy went to the table and cleaned up, taking the bill to the register, keeping the $200 dollars and then balled up the receipt. She didn't care about taking their money, especially after all the things Darla had done, she needed the money, and being righteous and proud wasn't going to stop her from taking the tip. Taking it, to Nancy, just insured the fact that she had to work to support her daughter, and the $200 was greatly deserved.

After she clocked out, she slipped on her sweater and headed towards her car. The drive to the Wentzs' had her thinking about Darla and Norman; when exactly did Darla think it was okay to talk to her again? Why did Darla think it was okay to even smile her way? Nancy hated her, wholeheartedly, she wanted nothing to do with her aunt, she stubbornly refused to even fathom repairing their relationship.

Nancy shook off her thoughts and parked in front of the Wentz home; she got out and headed up the porch, knocking on the door. Peter was the one to open it; "Nancy, hello," he murmured softly, "come in."

Nancy entered, to her surprise there was no awkward tension; Peter was kind and didn't give off the vibe of being upset like he had the last time she had seen and spoken to him.

"It's nice to see you, Mr. Wentz...where're Holliday and Pete?"

Peter smiled, to Nancy's surprise, "Upstairs; Holliday is asleep. She ate and played and played...she's a delight."

"That's great to hear...so, you're okay with having her over?"

"Yes, I am," he replied joyously.

"I'm happy about that...does she like you?"

Peter laughed and nodded, "It took about 30 seconds...I said the magic word, color."

Nancy giggled, "Aw, yes, my little artist. I hope she wasn't a handful."

"No, she's great," Peter said, "any time she wants to come over, she's welcomed--you are too, Nancy."

"Thank you, Mr. Wentz."

"No need to thank me," he exhaled, "I uh, I have a lot of apologizing to do--"

Nancy stopped him, "It's quite alright, we both did dumb things to give Pete the life we thought he deserved...I regret it, but it was for him."

"Yeah...we were both...um, willing to do anything for Pete."

"We were," Nancy murmured. "I should...should go get Holly and take her home."

"Yeah, I'll let you get to it," Peter smiled, "have a good night."

"You as well, Mr. Wentz."

Peter patted her arm and let her head up the stairs; Nancy felt completely at ease now that Peter was accepting Holliday. She got to the landing and headed towards Pete's room, opening the door just a bit, not wanting to cause a disturbance. As she entered, she saw Pete tangled in the sheets with Holliday curled up at his side, her teddy bear in her arms.

Nancy crept in, making sure she didn't wake them, she went over and sat on the opposite bed, looking around the room. It hadn't changed, some things were gone, but it looked the same from the last she had seen it. She got up, going towards his bookshelf, seeing that his old Hemingway and Vonnegut books were still there.

Pete, who was barely asleep as it was, had heard Nancy come in, but thought it had been his mother. He was too tired, a bit exhausted, to open his eyes; he was confused when he heard her sit on the bed, then get up and move around his room. Finally, he opened his eyes and saw it was Nancy, not his mother; "Cy?" He confirmed in a soft, tired voice.

Nancy turned back, placing a book back in it's place, "Hey. Sorry, did I wake you?"

Pete shook his head, "I was half asleep. What time is it?"

"Just about 10," she answered, "I'm gonna take Holly home now."

Pete carefully wrapped his arms around Holliday, sat up and cradled her, "Why don't you guys just stay the night?" He offered.

Nancy shook her head, "No, I think it'd be better if we went home."

Pete hates the thought of Holliday leaving; even Nancy leaving; "Can I go? I'll crash on the couch...I just wanna be there when Holly wakes up."

Nancy smiled softly, "That's so sweet. I guess you can, if you really want to."

Pete smiled, "Yeah, just let me put on my shoes."

Nancy hummed, went over and took Holliday from him, cradling and hushing her as she was shifted between her parents; "Shh, just sleep, baby girl."

Holliday sighed and wrapped her arms around her mommy, "Mama?"

"Mm-hm, we're going home," she whispered, "and Daddy's coming too."

Holliday yawned, "Yay."

Pete and Nancy both laughed quietly; Pete hurriedly shoved his shoes on and then went to get some clothes and his toothbrush. After, he went into his parents bedroom, telling his mother that he was going to stay with Holliday and Nancy; she didn't question it, due to her falling asleep, she just said goodnight and then Pete closed the door. He led the way downstairs, then grabbing Holliday's bag and shoes from the living room; he told his father that he was going too, "I'll have Cy drop me off tomorrow."

"Alright. Goodnight, kids."

"'Night," Pete and Nancy both waved before heading out.

Nancy gave Pete the keys to drive while she placed Holliday in her car seat, then climbed up front. The drive into the city was quiet, the radio was off to ensure Holliday would stay asleep. Pete parked in the parking lot behind the building and then grabbed his and Holliday's things while Nancy carried her inside the building.

In her apartment, Rae and Andy were watching a movie in the living room. Both were surprised to see Pete there, but didn't speak on it when they saw Nancy carrying Holliday in.

"Hey," Nancy said softly, "Pete's staying to hang with Holly in the morning."

"Oh," Rae said.

"I'm gonna go put her to bed," Nancy mentioned.

As Nancy headed towards her bedroom, Rae glared at Pete; "I'm crashing on the couch," Pete muttered quickly, "when uh, you guys are finished."

"We were gonna go to my place," Andy informed, then nudged Rae, "c'mon, we'll finish the movie at mine."

Rae got up with Andy, who went and turned the DVD off; Rae went over to Pete, "No funny business," she advised him shortly.

"I'm just here for Holly."

Rae scoffed, slipping her shoes on, "Mm-hm."

Pete sighed, moving towards the couch; Nancy returned with a small frown, "She wants you, Pete."

Pete nodded and went straight to the bedroom without a word. Nancy went over towards Andy and Rae, who were eager to ask what was up; "You're letting him stay over?" Rae asked.

"Are you guys leaving?" She asked instead.

"Yeah," Andy said, "you looked beat."

"I am. But, I'll talk to you guys tomorrow. I'm off from Starbucks tomorrow morning."

"Okay, don't do anything I wouldn't," Andy joked.

Nancy smiled and hugged him, "I won't. He's only here for Holly."

Rae smirked, "I hope so."

Nancy hugged her, "Love ya, I won't do anything crazy."

Rae gave her a faux warning look, "I raised you better."

Nancy had to laugh, "Yes ma'am."

"Goodnight, honey," Rae said softly.

"Goodnight."

Andy and Rae left, leaving the apartment quiet. Nancy exhaled and went to the bedroom to change; as she entered, she saw Pete rubbing Holliday's back as she fell right back asleep. She smiled at the sight, "All good?"

Pete looked over at her, "Yeah, she's good. I'm gonna stay with her for a bit."

"Go ahead, I'm gonna shower."

Pete nodded and turned back to Holliday. Nancy kicked her shoes off, then her pants and shirt, then headed to the bathroom. Pete was falling asleep again, yawning softly; he kicked his shoes off and then crawled into the bed beside Holliday, "I'm just gonna lie here till Cy's done," he told himself.

Pete fell asleep less than 30 seconds later.

Nancy washed her hair and body, letting the hot water spray over her aching body. After she was good and relaxed, she climbed out and wrapped herself up in a towel. Returning to her bedroom, she frowned upon seeing and hearing Pete snore softly in her bed.

"Guess it's Rae's bed for me," she said to herself.

She dried off, pulled on her pajamas, then covered Pete, kissed Holliday's head before she turned out the light and went to Rae's room. It wasn't long before climbing under the covers before she fell asleep too, dreaming about her future with Pete, despite their current situation.
♠ ♠ ♠
It's getting harder and harder trying to figure out a way to end this; more and more ideas keep popping up. I'm not sure where I'm totally gonna go, cuz I had it all set in my head how I wanted it to end, then I decided something else would be better, prolonging the end, so I'm completely conflicted. I'm not even sure I want Pete and Nancy together...but then I do! What do you guys think? Oh, and I'm sorry, but FOB doesn't exist in this story, just to make it all simple.

And I also wanted to add that this is what I imagined Holliday to look like (click). I saw this photo last week and didn't know it was Shirley Temple until yesterday when I heard she passed. RIP to Shirley, she was one righteous chick, super adorable and the drink named after her is delicious!

Leave me some love!
xxali