The Fast Times

Forty Nine

Rae had been surprised by the fact Nancy and Holliday weren't at the apartment when she returned the following afternoon. She wasn't sure what to make of it; she had an inkling it involved Pete. Rae tried not to be upset about it, but it was hard for her not to be. Pete waltzing back in and toying around didn't sit well with her. All she cared about was Nancy and Holliday not getting hurt by him; especially Nancy, since she hadn't had a stable relationship.

Rae exhaled as she plopped on the couch and prayed, mentally, that Nancy knew better. She also hoped Pete wouldn't be stupid and just used Nancy. She then remembered that Pete had a girlfriend, so she quickly felt at ease with that thought; Nancy wouldn't have her hopes up and ruined by him.

Just as she kicked her shoes off and relaxed, there was a knock on the door. Rae let out a small groan, then stood, heading over. She opened the door without a thought, seeing two familiar people standing there, a man and woman, looking hesitant, "Can I help you?" She wondered if they were new neighbors saying hello, she guessed that's why she recognized them.

"We're looking for Nancy Durden," the man said.

That's when it hit her; it was Nancy's aunt and uncle. Rae frowned deeply, "She's not here, what do you want?"

Rae's rough demeanor was due to the fact that everyone had treated her friend so badly. She wanted to protect Nancy, especially from the people that turned their backs on her. Rae was ready to tell Darla and Norman off just like she had done to Pete.

Darla frowned right back, "We want to speak to her. Do you know when--" Darla paused briefly, "Rae Hunt?"

Rae nodded, crossing her arms over her chest, "Yep. I'm not going to repeat this," she began sharply, "you are not going to talk to Nancy unless she wants to talk to you. So, I suggest you leave right now."

Rae stepped back and slammed the door in their faces, barely giving them a second glance. She locked the door and headed back to the couch, feeling very satisfied with herself.


Pete carried a sleeping Holliday in his arms after their trip to the science museum. She had tired herself out showing Pete her favorite exhibits and gadgets. Nancy had followed beside them, letting Holliday lead the way till they had lunch and she fell asleep at the bench they had been eating at.

Pete loved having the weight of his daughter in his arms; to him, it gave him a purpose, other than having to function in life to make it. He had to make it for Holliday now, that's all that mattered to him. Her arms around his neck, her hair brushing against his jaw and her head resting on his shoulder, made him smile; his arms holding her up didn't seem to ache or falter.

Nancy was sure he would've been tired of carrying her all the way down the block to the parking lot, "I can carry her if you want," she offered.

Pete shook his head, "I'm good."

Nancy smiled and patted his shoulder, "You're good with her...more than I expected you to be."

"I'm kinda surprised too," he replied with a small laugh.

Once they got to the car, Nancy helped him buckle Holliday into her car seat. She stirred a bit, frowning and yawning, "We goin' home?"

Pete hummed, "Yep, we're going home."

"C'n I see gamma?"

Nancy looked at Pete, who shrugged, "You wanna?"

"I have to go grocery shopping. How about I drop you guys off and pick her up later?"

"Sounds good to me."

Holliday yawned again and smiled, "Yes."

Nancy and Pete got into the car, heading toward his parents. Holliday had fallen asleep again, leaving the car ride quiet. Pete was growing fatigued, he was ready to fall asleep when Nancy stopped at the curb of his parents house.

"Wanna come in?" He asked, holding back a yawn.

"I'll say goodbye to Holly," she said.

Pete once more had Holliday in his arms, carrying her into the house. Hilary and Andrew both were in the living room fighting over the TV, Pete had rolled his eyes and carried on up the stairs with Nancy behind him. He settled Holliday on his bed, she was deep asleep, only lying on her side with her mouth parted; "Oh my God, she looks just like you," Nancy murmured.

Pete smiled, "Hold on," he moved towards his desk, grabbing a throw away camera that had some photos left. He made sure the flash was off before he took Holliday's photo; she hadn't stirred, she continued to sleep.

"I need a copy of that," Nancy whispered.

"No doubt," Pete set the camera down and covered Holliday with a cool sheet, "sweet dreams."

Nancy went over and knelt to Holliday, kissing her forehead, "I love you, baby."

Holliday's mouth bobbed a few times, but still slept. Nancy and Pete stepped out of the room quietly, heading down the stairs. Nancy was reluctant to go, for the simple fact she loved being in Pete's company. Pete didn't want her to go either, but didn't hold her back.

"I'll be back in a few hours," she said, "do you...uh, wanna come back when I pick up Holly?"

Pete already knew the answer, but didn't want to put any pressure on her by constantly being around, "Maybe...I'll see."

They both smiled, Pete leaned in and kissed her softly, Nancy returned it. It didn't last too long, it was a loving gesture; "I'll see you," she said softly.

Pete nodded and led her out, "Okay."

Pete watched her go, feeling completely overwhelmed and in love. He was floating on air, making his way to the living room; even his brother and sisters bickering couldn't put a damper on his mood.


Nancy shopped for the things they needed at home, all absentmindedly. She bought Holliday's favorite cereal and cold cuts for lunches and poultry for dinner. She bought Holliday's favorite chicken fingers, and the vegetarian ones Andy gets for her that she loves. Then she got fruits and veggies, juice and some pop before checking out. The only thing really on her mind was her future; she wasn't terrified like she used to be, because she had some stability, her daughter has her father and she had money to get a better home, to give her daughter her own space, her own bedroom, her own bed.

The future excited her. She couldn't wait to fulfill Holliday's life with the things she and Pete had. Holliday deserved better than what they had, because she was such a sweet little girl who never asked for much.

After bagging and paying, Nancy headed to the apartment to unload the groceries. She was met half way by Andy, who graciously helped her with the rest of the bags. In the apartment, Rae was in the kitchen making popcorn, "Hey!"

"Hey," Nancy replied, "Holly's with Pete and I went grocery shopping. This hot guy helped me."

Rae was curious, but burst into laughter when Andy followed in, "What?" He asked.

"Nothing," Rae smiled, "thanks for helping."

"Well, what was I supposed to do? Holliday would tell me that I couldn't leave a damsel in distress."

Nancy giggled at his statement, "She's such a little romantic."

"She loves romance and princess movies," Rae said, "the guy who falls in love with her is gonna be in for a treat."

"He better treat her like a princess," Andy advised, "I'll kick his ass."

"Oh geez," Nancy murmured, "what if she likes girls?"

"Then I'll kick her ass," Rae grinned.

"We'll see," Nancy giggled again.

After putting the food away, Rae started to tell Nancy about Norman and Darla showing up. Nancy had frowned deeply, "Are you serious?"

"Yep," Rae nodded shortly, "I slammed the door in their faces."

"Good," Nancy smirked to herself at the thought of Darla shocked at Rae just dismissing her. "They were at the restaurant last night. They wanted to talk to me, but I made them leave...they even left a $200 tip, that's how I bought these groceries and Holly's favorites."

"Great," Rae said proudly. "Where else did you guys go this morning?"

"Patrick took Holly to his mom's because she got back from her vacation and bought Holly some presents. She has a new dress and sunglasses."

"Aw," Rae cooed, "I can't wait to see her."

"We went to the science museum too. She tired herself out showing Pete her favorite exhibits."

"That's nice," Andy noted, returning from the bathroom, "I'm glad he's actually being a dad."

"Me too," Rae informed, "even if he's a little jerk."

Nancy chuckled, "Yeah...we're trying to work on our relationship too."

This silence both Rae and Andy. Rae furrowed her brow, curious as to what Nancy meant, "Whadda mean?"

Nancy sighed softly, leaning against the counter, "I mean...that we're gonna try and get back together," she explain, then added quickly, "not as a convenience for Holly, but for us. We make each other happy."

"What about his girlfriend?" Andy asked.

"He says he doesn't want to be with her...I'm not forcing anything on him," she looked to Rae, "you're not happy about this, are you?"

Rae exhaled, letting it sink in, "If you're happy, Cy...I just don't want him to break your heart again, or drag Holliday through it too."

"If it doesn't work out, he's still gonna be here for Holly," Nancy said, "that's number one, we talked about it. We just want to try, see where it goes."

"Is it what you really want?" Andy inquired, looking to Rae, whose lips were tight; she wasn't mad, just thinking it all over.

Nancy looked at Andy, nodding, "Yeah, it is. So, when you guys head to Arlington Heights, me and Pete are gonna find a place for us...close to UC and his parents. I still want you guys involved in Holly's life--"

Rae cut her off, "Cy, me and Andy, even Sabrina and Rick are gonna be here regardless. We just want to make sure that this is where you want to go with your life."

"I've got nothing to lose," Nancy said quietly, "I mean, I owe it to myself and to Holly to make it work, because I feel something there...something I hadn't felt when I was 16."

Rae smiled then, causing Andy to as well, "Then I'm happy for you."

Nancy felt weight fall, "Really? I know you aren't Pete's biggest fan."

"Ya kiddin'?" Andy snorted. "Rae runs the I Hate Pete Wentz fan club."

Rae slugged her lover playfully, "Oh, shut up,
I don't like him, but I wouldn't dedicate my life to a hate fan club for that jerk."

Andy and Nancy laughed, easing the tension. Nancy felt her life make a full circle; things were finally falling into place.


Holliday had awaken a hour and a half later, making her way down the stairs, rubbing her eyes, where she met her grandma. Dale had cooed and picked up the sleepy little girl, "Did you have a nice nap, baby girl?"

Holliday hummed, "Yeah...daddy's blankey smells funny, gamma."

Dale laughed softly, carrying her into the kitchen, "I know, your daddy has to wash them. I told him a billion times to, but he doesn't want to listen."

Holliday giggled as Dale set her on the counter, "Daddy is a bad hearer."

Dale smiled, "He sure is. You wanna help me make dinner?"

Holliday nodded, "Yes. Wha' ya make, gamma?"

"I'm gonna make pork chops and potatoes," Dale went to the fridge and began to take the uncooked pork out, "you like pork chops?"

Holliday nodded, "Ms. Pat makes yummy ones."

Dale lee turned to the counter, "Ms. Pat?"

"Patrick's mommy," she said matter-of-factly.

"Oh," Dale hummed, "Patricia Stumph, Holly?"

Holliday nodded again, "She buyed me this dress, gamma! 'N' sunglasses!"

Dale smiled, "That was nice of her. You like Ms. Pat?"

"Yeah! She makes yummy food like you."

Dale couldn't help but to laugh, "Aw, I bet she does. Do you help your mommy or Ms. Pat cook?"

Holliday hummed with a small nod, "I'ma good help'a."

"Okay, first, let's wash your hands, then you can help me season the pork chops."

Holliday hummed, letting Dale carry her to the sink and wash her hands, and then back to start making dinner. They had been laughing and talking as they did so, until Pete came in.

"When did you wake up?" Pete asked Holliday.

Holliday shrugged, "I dunno."

Pete smiled, "You havin' fun helping grandma?"

"Yep."

Pete ruffled her messy hair and kissed her head, "I need to make a phone call, you'll be okay?"

"She's fine," Dale murmured, "now leave us ladies be."

"Yeah, leave us ladies be, daddy," Holliday retorted with a small smile.

Pete chuckled, "Alright, ladies."

He left the kitchen, heading upstairs; he was getting ready to call Crystal. He was going to have to call her some time, and he knew he would have to see her when he returned to New York to pack his things. He wondered what he'd tell her, how he'd break up with her; he knew he was going to do it in person.

He picked up the phone and dialed the number to Crystal's dorm, then sat on his bed. After a few rings, a girl picked up, "Hello?"

"Is Crystal there?" Pete asked.

"Nope, sorry, she went on some date with Ken Parker."

Pete's brow furrowed, "What?"

"She went on a date, buddy, are you, like some dude tryna pick up on her?" The girl spoke snootily.

Pete shut his eyes momentarily, "Tell Crystal that it's over for me, will ya?"

"Who's this?" The girl asked shortly.

"Pete," he growled before hanging up.

He was just a bit livid with Crystal. She was already going out with someone else once he was gone. But, he wasn't angry for long, he figured it was better than telling her about what he did with Nancy. Pete actually felt better, thinking about it, he could happily continue on with Nancy like he wanted. He smiled at the thought, then returned downstairs, feeling joyful yet again.
♠ ♠ ♠
Update on my life
What do you think?
There's going to be a time skip coming up and then it's all gonna end.
Thanks for reading!

xxali