The Fast Times

Fifty One

It was a quiet week and a half; Holliday spent most her time alternating between being with Pete, Rae, Patrick, Andy and Sabrina, while Nancy worked. It was all smooth sailing, no interruptions, which surprised both Nancy and Pete; she was expecting Norman and Darla to stop by, and Pete was waiting for Crystal to call. Nothing like that happened.

Two weeks later, Pete was preparing to head back to New York, finally deciding to move out. Nancy had found a nice small home near Patrick's mom, and it came equipped with everything they needed. Rae and Andy planned to move the same time Nancy was, both were upset that it was happening, but were genuinely happy for one another.

The relationship between Pete and Nancy was steady and growing by the day. They went out on dates on the weekends, sometimes with Holliday, who whined about them kissing. She opted to stay with Rae or Dale to avoid what she deemed as the "ew" moments. Pete and Nancy got to know each other again, reminiscing about high school and telling stories about the 3 years they spent apart; it wasn't as awkward as they had both assumed in their heads; it actually settled a lot better to talk everything out, they both felt lighter upon saying all they had to.

They both had high hopes for their future, things between them was as smooth as it was gonna get. Pete expressed and showed how ready he was to be a father, and Nancy was impressed, letting her heart grow fonder for him. It made her happy to see Holliday actually have a daddy, and to see her get up everyday excited to see him.

The day he had to leave, he spent the day before, and the following morning before his flight, with Holliday. Pete had told her he was leaving, and she seemed to have taken it well; with Nancy in the bedroom packing, the two stayed in the living room watching cartoons. Holliday requested this, saying; "I just wanna watch ca'toons, okay?"

Pete had smiled and nodded, "Okay."

She was near sleep as she settled in Pete's lap; her head against his chest and her hand holding two of his fingers. He noticed that whenever she was sleepy, she periodically squeezed his fingers, he wasn't sure she was aware that she did this.

Holliday had her thumb in her mouth, her eyes fluttering until they finally shut, and her lips slowed to a stop. Pete used his other hand to rub her back as she drifted off; he knew he'd be leaving soon, and he would have to wake her up to say goodbye. He cradled his little girl as she napped, holding his fingers still; he kissed the side of her head, enjoying the little time he had left with her.

Nancy came out the room with a box, noticing father and daughter on the couch in a comfortable position. She smiled, making sure to keep quiet as she walked; Pete smiled back, "I havta leave soon, Cy."

"I know," she set the box down next to the other 3, "I'm almost done with packing. I can't wait till everything is moved into the house."

"Me either," he said, then waved her over, "c'mere."

Nancy laughed softly, waltzing over and sitting to his right; Pete leaned over and kissed her, throwing her off a bit, but kissed back. They broke away after a moment, exhaling softly, "I love you," he murmured.

Nancy giggled this time, "I dig you too, baby."

Pete smirked, kissing her again.


Holliday was half asleep when Pete left, but she did cling to him as he prepared to go. She had cried softly, hugging his neck and mumbling that she'd miss him. It hurt Pete to see this, but he had to go; "I'll be back before you even know it," he told her.

Holliday sobbed against his shoulder, "Promise, daddy?"

Pete kissed her cheek, "Yes, I promise, baby."

Holliday let him go and waved to him as Nancy took her into her arms. She watched through tear filled eyes as he waved back and left the apartment. Nancy held Holliday and let her cry against her own shoulder, "Aw, baby doll, daddy will be back real soon."

"I know, but I miss 'im!" She sobbed.

Nancy carried Holliday to their bedroom, settling her onto the bed, "Hey, it's okay to cry, but daddy won't be gone forever. And, you know we're gonna be moving into our new house later after you nap."

Holliday stopped cry, sniffling and rubbing her tired eyes, "We are?"

"Yep," Nancy smiled, wiping away the tears lingering on her flushed cheeks, "you get your own room and your own bed."

Holliday smiled softly, "C'n we sleep 'ere?"

"Not yet, we gotta move all of our big stuff first."

"Okay."

Nancy kissed her forehead, "Now, you nap, and when you wake up, we'll get lunch and move our stuff. Then if Andy isn't busy, he can help us move more stuff."

Holliday smiled again, but it disappeared as she yawned, "So sleepy."

Nancy laughed and kissed her again, "Have a nice nap, when you get up, we'll get busy."

Holliday nodded, then shut her eyes, snuggling against the pillow; Nancy gave her, her favorite teddy bear and then left her to nap.


Pete landed in New York that afternoon, and already he was missing Holliday and Nancy. He tried to concentrate on just getting his things shipped back to Chicago, and then get back to his family as soon as possible. He caught a cab, giving the driver directions to his place.

Pete felt a rush of nostalgia and rebellion stepping onto the front porch of, what would become his former home. He shook his head, ridding away the thoughts and went inside, not wanting to get caught up in wanting to stay, to be "free". As he looked around at the messy home, of old food and dishes piled in the sink; he knew he wouldn't miss this.

"Fuckin' Wentz!" His roommate, Oli, exclaimed, "Thought you were in Chicago!"

Pete laughed at his tall, lanky dark haired friend, "I'm leavin', Oli. I'm movin' back there, I have a little girl."

"No shit?" Oli grinned. "You knock someone up or somethin'?"

"Yeah...it was high school, man. I just met her, she's killer, I love her."

Oli continued to smile, "Congrats man! You need help movin' your shit out?"

Pete nodded, "Yeah. I'm just takin' my computer and clothes, shit like that."

"Can I keep your bed?" Oli questioned with a small lazy smile

Pete cocked a brow, "Don't tell me you set yours on fire again."

"Hey, I like playin' with fire!"

Pete rolled his eyes, "Sure, Ol', just help me get my stuff together."

•••

Holliday was constantly begging Dale and Nancy to call Pete; she missed him so much. He had been gone an entire day, to Holliday, it felt like a lifetime. By the time she got to talk to him, she was near tears again, "Daddy! Daddy! I miss you!"

Pete smiled on the other end, "I miss you too, Holly. You're being good, right?"

She sniffed, "Uh-huh. When ya comin' back?"

"Soon," he replied, "I just need to do a few things and I'll be back. Do you like your room?"

"'S so big, daddy! I has lotsa room ta play! Mommy say I can put pit'chures on da walls."

"Yeah? I can help you when I get back," he said. "What are you doing right now?"

"Makin' cookies wit' gamma," she answered. "We havin' fun."

Pete missed Holliday so much then. He hated to be so far away, he couldn't wait to get back.

He continued to talk to her until the movers called for him to sign some papers. He exhaled deeply, "You be a good girl, Holly, I'll be home soon...I gotta go."

Holliday pouted, "A'ready?"

"I'm sorry. I'll call you tonight, okay, before you go to sleep."

"Okay. I love you."

Pete shut his eyes momentarily, "I love you too. I'll see you soon."

"Ta'k ta ya lata daddy."

Pete chuckled as he hung up with his little girl and went to tend to the movers. He signed papers and was getting the last of his things. All that was left was transferring his academics to DePaul; all he needed was to sign off on more things, he had already been accepted into DePaul.

Just as he said final goodbyes to his roommates for the night, he set off to head to the hotel room his father had booked for him. Pete was exhausted, it was getting late, all he wanted to do was get some sleep, or talk to Holliday if sleep didn't come first. He headed out, wanting to walk into town to get some food; as he headed down the first block, a car pulled up beside him.

It was a cherry red corvette that he knew. He sighed to himself, feeling his pockets for cigarettes, and then fished them out. The automatic window rolled down, the corvette following him; he lit a cigarette, staring straight ahead, ignoring the corvette creepy up.

"Pete, I know you know it's me!" Crystal called from the car. "I want you to talk to me!"

"We don't have anything to talk about," he said coolly, stopping at the edge of a curb and a stop sign.

"Yes we do," Crystal muttered, parking, "just get in and we can talk! I can explain myself!"

Pete looked both ways as he prepared to cross, "You don't havta explain yourself," he said, taking a long drag.

"Well I wanna," she pouted.

Pete rolled his eyes, walking across the street. Crystal growled under her breath and put her car in drive. Without thinking, she drove straight into Pete, smashing him down.
♠ ♠ ♠
A lot of stuff happened today; Harold Ramis died, I spent the morning and afternoon crying about it, and then I started crying about my dad. I went to the doctor Monday morning and he's pretty sure I have manic depression. It's been a rough fucking month.

Enough ramble, tell me what you think.
xxsanti