The Fast Times

Five

It was yelling that woke Pete up for school the following morning. His father yelling at Pete for cutting the yard so "shitty". Pete got up, washed his face, brushed his teeth and got dressed. He let his father yell at how to cut it right before going out and doing as he was told.

Pete's not one to take anyone yelling in his face, his father and mother were the exception. Anything to shut them up, he thought. He did as he was told until it was right.

He went back in, washing his pits and putting on deodorant and a new shirt. He knew he'd have to pick up Nancy first, at 7:15 before he picked up Andy, Nick and Chris. His father didn't heckle him as he grabbed his backpack and headed out the door.

At her home, Nancy was a ball of nerves. She was afraid of what her friends may say once they noticed she was with Pete and his friends. She didn't care, but a small piece of her knew they'd say something disapproving. She feared for Pete's feelings more than her own, because she really like Pete and he had gone through enough at home with his father. She calmed herself down and went to check on Alma.

Alma was asleep in her bedroom, typically before Nancy left for school. She made sure Alma's pills were out and assorted for her to take when she woke. She place a glass of water on her desk next to the pills and then gave her a kiss on her head.

Grabbing her bag, she headed down the stairs and out the door. Pete was waiting, his heater pumped full blast in the frozen morning. Nancy shivered, locked the door and hurried to the car, "Hey."

"We gotta get the stooges," Pete said causing her to giggle.

"Fine with me."

They were quiet as they drove around the block, picking up Andy, and then driving near the school. Andy was quiet, still sleepy from having been awaken so early. Pete played music, filling the car with some sort of atmosphere while they all forced themselves to wake up.

Nick and Chris were smoking in front of Chris' house when Pete pulled up. They stubbed the cigarettes out, smoke billowing behind them as they exhaled and hurried to the car, piling in. They paused when they saw Nancy; "Hey Cy," Nick said, "nice to see you."

"Hey," she said briefly.

Pete drove off, "Cy's hitching a ride with us for now on, so she rides shotgun."

Chris snickered, while Nick made kissing noises. Andy was still asleep, face against the window. Pete flipped them off while Nancy just giggled. Chris sat up, "You comin' to my party on Friday, Cy?"

Nancy looked at him, "Uh, sure. Is it a Halloween party or somethin'?"

"Nah, just a party, we always party on Friday."

"I'll come," she assured, "Pete can drive me."

"One thing though," Chris added, "Chip can't come."

Nancy scoffed, "Like I would invite them. They're jerks."

They all shared a small laugh, excluding Andy. They all continued to talk casually until they got to school. Pete parked in the student lot and got out with everyone, shaking Andy up.

The 5 of them entered school, Nick and Chris leading, Nancy and Pete walking side by side with Andy trailing tiredly behind. A few kids looked their way, surprised at Nancy talking with Pete. The bell rung just after they all separated, except for Nancy and Pete, whose lockers were only a block apart.

Pete was uneasy when he saw how Chip making his way down the hall, just before the bell rang. He turned to look at Nancy, "I'll see you at lunch?"

She nodded, "Yeah. See you, Pete."

His heart fluttered at the way her fingers waved at him. Pete stepped back and began heading to his first class. He was much too far in his head to look back.


Throughout his classes, without Nancy, Pete day dreamed about her. He was falling hard for her, he tried to remember the pieces of her he had memorized. He loved her eyes the best and her smile, and the way she laughed. It wasn't a girly little laugh, it was a little boyish and funny. The way she had vented to him made him like and trust her even more.

After his class, headed to lunch, he caught Nancy making her way to her locker. He caught up, "Cy," he called; she turned and grinned.

"Hey," she said, opening her locker to slip a book in, "ready for lunch?"

"Yeah. But uh, you sure about this?"

Nancy smirked, "Yes! You tryna ditch me?" She kidded.

Pete smiled and shook his head, "Nah, I'm just...tryin' to make sure."

She shut her locker and took his hand, unexpectedly, "Well, I am sure. Now, lets go eat, I'm starved."

Pete's stomach was in a wave of nerves and butterflies. His hand was clasped in hers, Pete was completely taken aback and shocked. He loved the way it felt, though, he was really in love with her.

Everyone had seen Nancy and Pete together, heading to the cafeteria. Some were confused while most didn't seem to care, Nancy wasn't Queen Bee of the Sophomore class anymore, she was a regular Junior now. And Pete was her Senior jester.

They stood in line to buy some food, having seen Andy getting a table with his food brought from home. Nick joined him, having Chris buy his lunch for him. After getting their food, the group assembled at the table, as if they had been meeting since school started.

Nancy's group of friends all gave her questionable looks. Quinn, one of Nancy's friends came over; "Uh Cy?" The look of disdain etched across her face present as she looked from Pete, Andy, Nick and Chris; she tossed her chestnut brown hair back, the curls bouncing against her stiff shoulder.

Nancy looked at Quinn, "Yeah?"

"What do you think you're doing?"

Nancy cocked a brow, "Um, I'm having lunch."

"With these guys?"

"Yes," she said, shaking her chocolate milk, "is that a problem?"

"Ha, yeah!" Quinn crossed her arms over her chest, "You're embarrassing yourself!"

Nancy shook her head, "The only person embarrassing themselves is you, Quinn. I'm just having lunch with some new friends. I'd invite you, but Andy looks like he's about ready to smack you."

"I don't smack bitches," Andy grunted tiredly.

Nick and Chris laughed, Pete looked at Nancy defending him and his friends. He felt nervous, almost afraid what Quinn could say and do to Nancy, or her reputation. Nancy didn't seem all that fazed by it at all.

"Are you serious, Cy?" Quinn hissed.

"Very," Nancy opened her milk carton, "if you excuse us, we're tryna eat."

Quinn scoffed and strolled away. Nick laughed hard, Chris gave Nancy a high five, and Andy just ate, grumpy from lack of sleep. Pete ate some fries, smiling at Nancy.

"I'm sorry about her, guys," Nancy apologized.

"It's cool," Pete said, "she wasn't all that threatening to us."

"I know, but sometimes she can spit venom."

"We got you to protect us!" Chris announced; he flauntingly swooned jokingly, "Cy is my hero."

Nancy giggled and blushed. Pete continued to smile, thanking the heavens he met her.


Nancy herself didn't get any hassle from anyone for the rest of the day. It was the exact opposite, people avoided her and she liked it. She wasn't anti-social, she just liked being able to think on her own without one of her friends speaking over her and interrupting her thoughts.

Even Chip left her alone.

After school, she headed to the parking lot to meet Pete and the guys. Just as she stepped out into the cold afternoon air, Chip grabbed her arm, "Nancy, wait."

"What?" She asked politely, since he hasn't spoken nor did he grab her so harshly.

"What the heck is goin' on with you?"

She shrugged, "I dunno, I just don't wanna hang out with so many annoying people."

Chip frowned, "Those annoying people are our friends."

"They were, but if they can't understand that I want to be relieved of being pushed and pulled into crap I don't wanna do, then they aren't my friends. I have 4 more who are really cool."

Chip snickered, "Seriously?"

She frowned, "Why does everyone keep askin' me if I'm serious? I am serious."

Chip rolled his eyes, "Okay, Nancy."

She scoffed, "Yeah, okay, Chipper. I'm out of here, go piss off."

Chip laughed continuously as Nancy stalked off, seeing Pete standing by his car. He had seen the whole thing and it was clear how upset he was. The look of displeasure on Nancy's face made him upset with whatever Chip had done or said to her.

As she approached, Pete met her, "What did he say?"

Nancy sighed, "He was just bein' a fuckin' dick."

Her cursing made him smile, "Sorry."

She shrugged, "It's whatever. I just wanna get outta here."

"The dudes are comin'," Pete assured, "hop in."


Instead of going over to Pete's house, Nancy invited Pete over to her house. Pete's refuse, it would give him a break from his dad baring down his back. He drove there, the two bobbing their heads to the music. She stopped when spotted a familiar car parked in the empty drive way, causing her to squeal slightly. Pete raised a brow, "What's wrong?"

Nancy smiled and looked at Pete, "My aunt and uncle are here!"

Pete was frightful for a moment, "Oh."

"C'mon and come meet them," she urged.

Pete bit at his lip and gave an unsure nod. He parked at the curb and climbed out with her. Nancy waited until Pete was around the car to take his hand in her's. Pete inhaled sharply, unbeknownst to her, and followed her steps. Nancy opened the door and looked in, "Auntie D?"

"Hey Cy-Cy!" Darla called from the kitchen.

"Hey Nance," Her uncle Norman said from the couch, "Who's your friend?"

Nancy let Pete's hand go, gesturing him in; Pete closed the door and swallowed. "This is my friend Pete Wentz. Pete this is my uncle Norman."

Norman stood and met them, stuck his hand out, "Hey Pete."

"Hi," Pete mumbled as he shook Norman's hand.

Norman chuckled, "Don't worry, I'm just her uncle, I'm not gonna point a shotgun at you."

Nancy and Pete laughed, genuinely. Darla and Alma entered from the kitchen, "Thats the boy Cy has been hanging out with."

Nancy blushed, "He's my friend. Auntie D, this is Pete, Pete this is my aunt Darla."

They shook hands, "Hello Pete. Are you staying for dinner?"

Pete looked at Nancy, "Um...maybe, I'm not sure."

"You're welcomed to stay, Pete," Alma offered.

"I'll see what my mom says," he smiled shyly.

"Great, you can hang with us while we tell you embarrassing stories about Nancy," Darla teased.

"In your dreams," Nancy muttered, "no embarrassing stories shall pass your lips."

They all laughed softly. Alma hummed, "Okay, fine. You just come and catch up with Darla and Norman. We'll have some snacks, we made some pumpkin spice coffee and some cookies."

Pete's mouth watered, Nancy smiled, "Fine with me."

"I'd love some coffee and cookies."

"The coffee doesn't have much caffeine," Norman added, "we don't wanna stunt Cy-Cy's growth anymore than it is."

They laughed again; Nancy scowled, "You guys are so mean."

"We're only teasing," Darla said, hugging Nancy.

"Yeah, yeah," she scoffed. "Lead us to the cookies and pumpkin spice."
♠ ♠ ♠
Mattie bought me cookies and a pumpkin spice latte today to cheer me up. My boyfriend is amazing and I really do love him.
Now, as for the story, I apologize how dull it is, I just want to cover my bases before I dive into more than I bargain for. I hope you all like it and I hope you're okay with the lull and dull.

Thank you for reading, you're awesome dudes :)
xxali