The Fast Times

Eight

Nancy had driven everyone home after school. She took Pete home, following him inside and up to his room. The only ones home were his father, who was deep in his office, and his siblings and their friends. His mom was working off at her teaching job at an alternative school. Pete was glad she wasn't home, she would make a big fuss once she saw his eye.

Pete nor Andy had explained the black eye to Nancy, neither wanted to. Pete was embarrassed and Andy was angry. It had been a tense and awkward drive home.

Nancy grabbed a wash cloth, rinsed it in cold water and placed it on Pete's blackening eye. "You wanna tell me who hit you?"

"A basketball," he said.

Nancy smiled, "Who threw it at you?"

"Chip," Pete sighed, "Andy kicked his ass, that's why we had to wait so long for him."

Nancy frowned now, "Why did he throw it at you?"

"Coz he's a prick--I don't know."

Nancy sat beside him, "It's because of me, isn't it?"

"More or less," Pete dropped the wash cloth, "I need an ice pack."

"Do you have some downstairs?"

"Not cold."

"I have some at home," she mumbled to herself, "Gram says veggies and meat work. Wanna try?"

Pete shrugged.

The pair jogged downstairs, entering the kitchen. Andrew was there and his eyes bulged as soon as he saw his older brother's face, "Holy crap! What happened to you?!"

Pete groaned, "I got a headache, Andrew. Piss off."

Andrew sucked his teeth and left the kitchen. Pete sat at the counter while Nancy got out a bag of frozen broccoli. She handed it to Pete, "There, just hold it."

"Too cold," he hissed.

"I'm sorry," she whispered.

"God, my head hurts."

"I'm seriously gonna kill Chip over this," she cursed.

"Andy already beat you to the punch. Literally."

Nancy giggled softly, Pete put his hand on hers on the counter.

"What's going on?"

Both Pete and Nancy jumped at the sound of his father's hard voice. Their hands slipped away; Peter Wentz looked at his son, "What the hell happened to you?"

Pete decided to lie, rather quickly, "I fell in gym...right on my face."

"Let me see," he said, gesturing for the bag of broccoli.

Pete gave him the bag. He swallowed, looked at Nancy and said, "Dad, this is Nancy--my friend from school."

"Hi," Nancy waved.

Peter looked at her and nodded, he inspected Pete's face. He sucked his teeth, "You have to be more careful."

"Yeah, my shoes were slippery. I'm fine."

Peter patted his son's shoulder and went to the coffee maker. Pete gave Nancy a sorrowful glance, she just shrugged. Peter got a cup of coffee and left without a single word.

"He's not riding me today because I got rid of the dreads."

"He works hard, doesn't he?"

"My dad breathes work," Pete mumbled, "c'mon, lets go upstairs and hang before you've got to leave."

The two returned to Pete's bedroom, shutting the door behind them. They lay on the bed, immediately beginning to talk mindlessly about themselves. Pete put on some music, at a level that wouldn't make his father shout.

Pete began asking Nancy about herself. Her favorite things, her middle name, her birthday.

"Middle name is Jo, my birthday is October 21st--"

Pete stopped her, "This Thursday?"

Nancy nodded, "Yeah, I'll be 16."

He smiled, "I have to get you a present."

"No way, Pete, you don't--shouldn't get me anything."

Pete rolled onto his stomach to face her, "I have to get my girlfriend something."

Her features softened even more, if it were possible, and shook her head, "Girlfriend?"

"Yes," Pete said with a grin.

"Hmm, does that make you my boyfriend?" She smirked seductively.

"I think so," he said smartly.

Nancy giggled, rolled onto her side and kissed him. "No gifts, really."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes. My aunt and uncle have probably bought me some funny little gift from St. Louis."

Saying that made her remember the conversation between her family members the night before. Her stomach flipped at the thought of moving so far away. The thought of leaving her grandmother made her eyes burn and she quickly shook her head to rid away the tears.

Pete saw this, "What's wrong, Cy?"

"Nothing, sorry," she rubbed her eyes, careful not to smudge her makeup. "Just some irritation."

Pete decided not to pester her. "Oh, okay."

She inhaled softly, "I just had something in my eye."

Pete smiled softly and rubbed away a stray tear. "So, for your birthday, will you be okay with me buying lunch?"

"And a cupcake?" She asked sweetly, batting her moistened lashes.

He grinned, "Duh."

She kissed him again, "Then it's a deal."


Nancy went home after Pete's mother had gotten home. She had said her goodbyes to her as Pete surpassed his mom to hide his bruised face. He then drove Nancy home, smiling as she kissed the corner of his mouth before getting out the car.

Nancy had made it into the house, finding her aunt, uncle and grandmother in the living room. Nancy placed her bag by the stairs, "Hey."

"You were with Pete?" Darla questioned.

"Yeah. He got a black eye today."

"What happened?" Alma asked with genuine concern.

"PE accident. I drove him home and made sure he was okay before dropping me off."

"That was nice of you," Norman commented.

Nancy gave a sheepish shrug, "It was nothing. Excuse me, I've got a phone call to make."

"Don't chat too long," Darla called, "Dinner'll be done in 15."

"Okay."

Nancy took the cordless phone, her bag and jogged up to her room. Once she was inside, in private, she called Chip. His number had been burned into her skull, due to the fact he was the first one of all their friends to have a cellular phone and Nancy remember that number until she could see it when she closed her eyes.

"'Ell-woa?" A muffled voice answered.

"Chipper?" Nancy questioned.

"Is me," his voice was muffled, "I got gah-zz 'n muh mouf."

"Serves you right! What the heck are you doing throwing a basketball at my boyfriend?"

"Fug yo' boy-frwen!"

"I plan on it!" She snapped, "You touch him again, I'll kick your ass harder than Andy Hurley did, got me?"

Chip grumbled curse words before Nancy snickered, "I take that as a yes, because you know exactly what I'm capable of, Chipper. You don't wanna be on my bad side."

With that, Nancy hung up and returned downstairs. She set the phone on the charger and went into the kitchen to eat with her family.


Dale Wentz hovered over Pete while he sat at the kitchen table with an ice pack to his bruised face. She fussed and sighed at the sight, "My poor baby," she cooed.

"Leave him alone, Dale," Peter ordered, "he's fine, he's a man, he can take it. Even if he's a klutz."

Pete mentally thanked his father for that, because his mother stopped fussing with him and sat down. The family ate, all speaking quietly. Peter cleared his throat, "I met Pete's girlfriend, that Naomi girl."

"It's Nancy, dear," Dale corrected, "we met her too, she's a sweetheart."

"You serious with this girl?" Peter questioned his son, "Nancy Durden, right?"

"Yeah," Pete nodded, swallowing his food, "I like her a lot. She's nice."

"Are you sleeping with--"

His father barely got the words out before his mother cut him off, "Dear God, Peter! They just met!"

His father shook his head, "You know how fast these kids are nowadays! They're gettin' STDs and HIV, you don't think they're having sex?"

"We're not," Pete said before his mother could retort, "we just started--we just," he felt his face grow hot. "We aren't doing it!" Pete was flustered.

His father laughed, "Okay son, no need to blow a gasket."

Pete sighed deeply and picked at his good.

"Look, you've upset him," his mother pouted, "apologize--"

"Mom, I'm okay," Pete said shortly, "I don't care. It's fine, whatever."

His father smiled triumphantly.

Pete felt like crawling out of his skin. He hated when his dad took an interest in him and bashed it to smithereens. He forced his food down; his mother didn't help out at all. She made it worse, but he knew she was just sticking up for him. Pete wanted just one moment of his life where he didn't want to hang himself after having dinner with his family.

•••

Returning to school, Chip and his friends stayed far away from Pete and his friends. They were afraid of Andy, but wouldn't admit it. They said they didn't want to catch whatever disease they all had; which made them look even cowardly in the eyes of everyone who weren't their friends.

Nancy stuck by Pete's side, even his friends. If someone gave them trouble, Nancy knew she would handled it. But it seemed no one wanted to mess with them.

The next 2 days felt as if they were years. Between Pete and Nancy, they felt as they had known each other their entire lives. That's what young love does to you, according to Alma.

For Nancy's birthday, Pete bought her a cupcake at lunch, putting a grin on her face. He earned a kiss and an invite to her house for chocolate cake, as were Andy, Nick and Chris. They all went to Nancy's and met her family; Alma adored them, Darla and Norman weren't too sure what to make of these boys, but they made Nancy smile like she used to before her parents passed and that was better than anything.

Just before they left, Chris took a large piece of cake, after he begged Darla to bake him one because he liked it so much. Nancy walked them out, lingering on the porch steps with Pete; she wrapped her arms around his neck and hugged him.

"Thanks for coming."

"Like I would miss it," he chuckled, "your family is so cool."

"I know," she smirked.

She kissed him on his lips and they parted. She exhaled, "See you tomorrow."

"Yeah, of course."

One last peck, Pete jogged down the few steps and got into his car with the guys. They all waved, Chris exclaiming how he wanted Darla to adopt him. Nancy giggled and waved, watching them drive away before going inside.

"They were nice," Darla said.

"I feel a but coming," Alma crackled.

"Yes," Darla glared slightly at her mother, "they're a little rough."

"They're sweethearts," Nancy said, "you met them, that's how they always are. I'm going to Chris' for a party--"

"No you aren't," Darla put her hands on her hips.

"What?" Nancy frowned, "Gram already said I could go."

"I sure did," Alma replied with a smile.

"Those boys--"

"Those sweethearts," Alma corrected, giggling.

Nancy smiled, while Darla sucked her teeth, "Mom, you have to be a parent to Nancy, okay? You just turned 16 and you think that means you can go out and party?"

Nancy sighed, rolling her eyes, "It's just a little house party. They're in a band and they're gonna play with their friends in a basement. I'll be home before midnight," she looked over to Norman, "Uncle Norm, please, you can see that I can handle myself."

Norman shrugged, "She has been taking care of Alma..."

Darla exasperated, "Oh my God, you barely know these boys!"

"I spend everyday with them!" Nancy shot back, "I'm going, you're not the boss of me, Gram is!"

Alma shook her head, not wanting it to escalate.

Darla inhaled sharply, "If I didn't feel bad for you and just wanted to ruin your life and be the boss, I would've let you go into the system and put Gram in a home! You think about what's fair, Cy, and you figure out what I've done for you. You can't do this--"

"Shut up, Darla," Nancy muttered, "God, you always come here and mess up everything!"

She shot up the stairs, leaving them all silent. Alma sat down at the table, muttering something. Darla looked at Norman, "You don't agree? They--I did what she wanted and she can't do me this one favor and wait until she knows this boys longer before she goes to a party with them? Doing only God knows what?"

"She's a teenager," Norman offered, "she's not going to listen to you, especially since you're her aunt."

Darla felt defeated and sat with her mother. Alma offered her nothing. Norman sat with them, shaking his head at how upset his wife was.

"She's my responsibility," Darla began, "I promised my brother I would always be there for Cy-Cy. I promised Tyler and Marla I would take care of her."

"She isn't going to get hurt going to a party with her new friends," Alma explained. "We let her go with those girls to dances and parties. That's how she met Pete, and he's very sweet to her, and I can tell he would do a lot for our Cy-Cy."

Darla groaned, "Fine! Fine! I give up! She can go, but if anyone touches even a hair on her head, they're dead."

"Oh, Darla, stop being over dramatic!" Alma spat with a giggle.

The tension in the kitchen, and home, eased with shared laughter. Nancy, who was listening at the edge of the stairs, had to hold in her laughter. She did do a small cheer that she had won Darla over, even if it was with guilt and a tantrum.
♠ ♠ ♠
There are a couple of names in this chapter that are special.