Status: WIP

There She Goes

1

I walked across the Thames covered by a red umbrella. It is raining here in Oxford, London. I watch as the city whizzes by. People in cars, buses, and on bicycles rushed by. Normally I'd be happy to be walking in the rain.

Just not today. A couple of hours ago, I had an audition at RADA. I thought it went well and that I had really impressed the professors. That was a fat joke. They thanked me for considering them but I wasn't what they were looking for.

I thanked them for taking their time to hear me audition. I grabbed my messenger bag then left. I immediately felt numb. I walked to the nearest station. I purchased a ticket for the Tube and waited.

By the time I walked out into the streets, the sky had opened up. I was grateful for shoving the umbrella in at the last minute. I saw a sign for a bookstore just up ahead. I am at a crossing and I looked both ways.

No oncoming traffic in either direction. So I started across. As I walked, I looked every so often to make sure it was still clear. I made it safely across.

I made my way to the shop. I pulled out a little bag to put my wet umbrella in. I quickly closed it, stuffed it in the bag, and headed inside.

I was greeted by smell of books. Old and new. "Hello Miss, is there anything I can help you with?" asked a short petite middle aged woman.

"Um...not at the moment. But I'll come find you if I do," I say looking to her. I smile sweetly at her. She smiles to. "I'm Irma," she added.

"Austin," I say. I can see the surprise in her eyes. I nod my thanks then head away. I stuff my umbrella into my bag.

I walked further into the store. I saw other people milling around. Blindly I walk down an aisle on my right. I look at the spines on the shelves.

Shakespeare. Hemingway. Eliot. Silverstein. I wasn't much on Hemingway. A few selections of Shakespeare were my favorite.

I loved Eliot and Silverstein. I selected a few of each. I walked around some more. I was giddy about being there. I found some young adult novels too.

'Irma I should have grabbed a tote,' I thought to myself. I huffed. At that moment she appeared. "I thought you might need a tote," she said.

I turned to look at her.

"You're a godsend! I was just thinking about that!"

She laughed lightly as she handed me the tote. I carefully placed the books in. "Thank you, Irma."

Her eyes twinkled as she smiled. "Got yourself a good selection, I see. Anything else, my dear?"

I sighed as I thought. "None that I can think of. But thank you for being kind and caring," I say. And with that we went to ring me up.

After all was said and done, I bid farewell to her. I pulled out my umbrella took it out of the bag and opened it up. It was still raining.

I looked at my phone to check the time. Oh wow. I had spent almost two hours in there. I contemplated about taking the Tube. In the end, I took a cab.

I went back to Paddington. It was where I was living. Under different circumstances, I wouldn't have been able to afford it. But under this circumstance, I could.

I had put money in an investment. I signed up for eTrade. From the moment I was eighteen. I'm twenty-three now. I can comfortably live off what I earned interest and then some.

When I arrived at my flat, I paid the cabbie and tipped him. I grabbed my bag. It had stopped raining. I walked up to the entrance.

I was greeted by Charles, the doorman. "Good afternoon, Miss Langley. How was the audition?" he asked hopefully.

I sighed as I walked inside. "Good afternoon Charles. I...uh...was turned down," I finally say.

I watch as the excitement leaves his eyes. "Oh Miss Langley, I'm so sorry. Is there anything I can do?" he asked. I sighed as I shook my head no.

"Sadly no. I'm going to head up to my flat to freshen up. I'll be back down for dinner," I say softly.

He nods his head as he watched me head towards the elevator. The door opened right as I was about to press the up button. A man dressed in jeans, a blue shirt, and a black leather jacket stood inside.

I stepped aside but not before meeting his gaze. I held out my hand to allow him out. I walked in, turning to push the button for my floor, and ignoring his evident staring.

Once on my floor, I made way for my door. I pulled out my key and unlocked it. I let myself in. I dropped the tote on the coffee table.

I collapsed onto the couch and rested an arm over my eyes. Finally the tears started. Reality set in that I couldn't enhance my acting career. For now I'd have to search for auditions for plays and such.

After awhile, I pull myself together. I got up and removed my messenger bag. I headed into my room. I picked out a pair of black skinny jeans, a maroon and gold jumper, and a black camisole. I grab clean undergarments.

I headed for the bathroom. I turn on the water to hot. I turn it to the cold side a little so it's not too hot. Once it's just right I strip down to nothing. I step into the shower.

I'm careful not to get my hair wet. It's still in a bun at the back of my head. I sluice off the grimy buildup. I clean all around then just stand there let the water strip all of the heartache away.