Status: Boop.

Echos of Silence

Dinner Rush

LAYNA

“It’s your first day back and Jeff has you working a double?” My best friend, Abby, asked me as we sat down for our break.

“Yep,” I responded as I took a bite of a perfect french fry, “I don’t mind though. If I wasn’t working, I’d be at home watching Pearl Harbor and crying my heart out. Plus, it’s nice to see people I’ve been away from for five years.”

Abby raised a dark eyebrow and let out a laugh. “You hate almost everyone here.”

I cracked a smile and continued to eat the delicious food. “Louisiana wasn’t much better.”

She gave me a sad smile, knowing my reason for moving back. “Some hotshot moved in not too long ago. He’s from New York City or something.”

“Really? What the hell is he doing here? This is hardly comparable to New Orleans let alone the Big Apple,” I responded to her, genuinely surprised. People never move to Twin Lakes from big cities like that.

“He comes in here every night and keeps mostly to himself.”

I shrugged and continued to eat. “How’s everyone on your end? Especially after your dad…”

“As good as can be expected. Mom’s holding up well enough. Dalton and Jordan are trying to keep themselves distracted. Plus, they’re starting senior year soon,” Abby explained, trying to stay off the topic of her deceased father.

“Yeah. Carys is excited to finish so she can move out. She wants to go up north. What about Dalton and Jordan? Are they planning on leaving?” I questioned.

“Jordan wants to move to Chicago and Dalton wants to stay here.”

“Why would he want to do that? I know Carys can’t live without him. What are they going to do when she leaves?” I asked.

She shrugged. “I just don’t want the three of them to split up. They are the best of friends and if Jordan is in Chicago, Carys in New York or Boston, and Dalton here, I have no idea how they are going to stay in touch.”

I shook my head and watched my brother, Shawn, stroll in. “If that dipshit is here, I guess it’s time for us to get back to work. The dinner rush is going to begin.”

Abby groaned in annoyance and slid out of the booth to talk to my brother, who is the bartender. For such a small town, The Spigot always stayed pretty busy for the dinner rush.

I let out a sigh and collected my plate and Abby’s. After disposing of them, I stood by the bar with Abby while Shawn poured all three of us a shot.

People had gradually began to pile in towards the end of our break and there were only three waitresses working, so tonight was going to be busy.

“Hope all of us make a shit load of tips tonight!” Shawn exclaimed before all of us quickly downed the tequila.

I winced slightly at the burn and tied the apron around my waist.

“Good luck, bitches,” Shawn called to Abby and me as we walked to opposite sides of the building and began taking the orders.

ºººººººººººººººººººº

It was nearing nine pm and I was cursing Jeff for making me work a double. I still had four hours left of my shift, not including clean up time and dealing with all of these stuck up southern ladies was not helping with the pounding headache forming in my temples.

I rubbed my shoulder, trying to work the knots out the best I could before walking over to another booth. I didn’t recognize the man sitting there and he looked like he was only a few years older than me.

“Hey there,” I greeted with a fake smile, “how are you?”

“I’m good, you?” He responded.

He has no southern accent and manners. He’s definitely not a young man from around here. He’s probably the one Abby was telling me about earlier.

“Fine. What can I get you?”

“Whiskey and a double bacon cheeseburger,” he responded not even glancing at the menu.

“Sure thing. Everything on it?”

“No ketchup, please.”

“Alright. I’ll be right back with that whiskey, hun,” I told him and quickly put his order in. I waited for Shawn to give me the alcohol and I took it back to the stranger.

I placed the glass in front of him and tilted my head slightly. “You’re new ‘round here?”

“Uh, yeah. Moved in two months ago,” he answered, “what about you? I’ve come in here nearly everyday and I’ve never seen you.”

I smiled tightly. “Grew up here, but moved down to New Orleans five years ago. Just moved back in two weeks ago.”

“Didn’t like the city?”

“It was hell on earth. The bugs were monster size too,” I said with a laugh.

He grinned back showing two dimples in his cheeks. “I’m Austin.”

“Layna,” I responded, “and I have to go because your food is probably ready.”

I made my way to another table and made a mental note for their refills on disgusting smelling beer before getting Austin’s burger.

“Can I get you anything else?” I questioned. He shook his head and I walked to get the beer for the slightly drunk men.

I sighed and leaned against the bar. “I think I pulled a muscle,” I complained to my older brother.

He rolled his eyes and made a comment about me being out of shape. I tightened my ponytail and began collecting from my tables.

“Cheap ass tippers,” I mumbled as I counted out the fruit of my labor.

The crowd slowly began to dissipate, but a few people were still left.

Three separate groups of drunk men, two young women, and Austin.

I walked over to his table and let Abby take care of the two women. “Here’s your bill,” I mumbled and he stopped messing with his phone. He pulled out two twenties and slid out of the booth.

“Keep the change.”

I stood in shock as he exited. His meal came to twenty-one and he left me with a nineteen dollar tip.

I quickly gathered the tip and helped Abby and Shawn chase the hammered men out. As we were cleaning off tables and silverware, I began to slightly rock on my feet. Letting out a yawn, I lightly tapped my face to keep myself awake.

Abby touched my shoulder lightly. “You head on home. Shawn and I can handle it. You’ve been working over twelve hours and I’m sure your cut is screaming at you.”

I nodded. Even though, the stitches came out weeks ago, it was still in the process of healing and extremely tender. “Thanks, hun. I owe you.”

She waved her hand and I left The Spigot. Quickly climbing into my car, I drove back to my parents’ house and quietly entered. I slipped my sneakers off and pulled my red hair out of the ponytail before tiptoeing up the steps.

I collapsed on my bed in exhaustion, but I couldn’t bring myself to sleep. Every time I closed my eyes memories from terrible night would flash through my mind. Curling into a fetal position, I began to silently cry for everything I lost that day and all of the pain I had experienced.

I will never be the same.
♠ ♠ ♠
Layna