Status: This is part 1 of a 3 part series. Hoping to have it picked up and turned into a film.

The Key

int. The Birthing: Intro - night

int. The Birthing: Intro - night

Doctors and nurses are walking in a busy hallway of the hospital.

A little girl is walking out the hospital holding her fathers hand. She has a cough.

The little girl turns to look back at the pregnant woman (Mrs.Paschar) screaming before she and her father leave.

The camera stops in the hospital hallway to Mrs.Paschar on a stretcher and she's in a lot of pain.

A doctor is seen walking away from the stretcher.

Her husband (Mr.Paschar) is arguing with why the doctor has left and why they aren't in a delivery room yet with 3 nurses.

The 3 nurses have on surgical masks.

Nurse 1 is by Mrs. Paschars stomach.

Nurse 2 is telling Mr. Paschar to calm down.

Nurse 3 is writing on a clip board at the feet of Mrs. Paschars stretcher.

Nurse 1 places her hand gently on Mrs. Paschars stomach before closing her eyes.

Nurse 1 opens her eyes and removes her hand in shock.

Nurse 1

(whispers)

This is the one.

Nurse 2 and 3 turn their attention to Nurse 1.

Mr. Paschar looks confused.

Nurse 2

Are you sure?

Nurse 2 moves herself over to touch Mrs. Paschars stomach and closes her eyes gently.

Mr. and Mrs. Paschar look confused at one another and look back at Nurse 2.

Mrs. Paschar

(out of breath)

Wha-?

Nurse 2 removes her hand stunned and nods in agreement.

Mr. Paschar

(shouting)

Just what the hell is going on!? Where's our doctor?

turns to the hospital shouting louder

MR. PASCHAR

Can somebody please get us a doctor!

Nurse 1

Mr. Paschar.

Mr. Paschar turns his attention to Nurse 1.

NURSE 1

(calm and loving voice)

Everything will be fine.

Nurse 1s eyes flash yellow.

Mr. Paschar returns to his wifes side silently.

Nurse 1

I will go send for them. You two bring her up to the pregnancy ward and take good care of them.

Nurse 1 takes leave down a hall.

Nurse 2 and 3 proceed to take Mr. and Mrs. Paschar to an elevator in another hall.

A clip board reads pregnancy ward floor 5 among a list of other wards.

A doctor (Dr.Verdel)curiously watches from his clip board in the distance.

As the elevator arrives a little boy is with his father and the nurses stare at him as he stares back. The little boy looks over his shoulder before exiting the scene.

The Nurses bring the Paschars inside of the elevator and the curious doctor excuses himself from other colleagues to hurry down the hall.

When in the elevator Nurse 3 hits a button for the top floor.

As the elevators door close Dr.Verdel has caught up and presses the button for a second elevator. (just his hand is in the camera shot)

Mr. Paschars trance has worn off because it is limited by range of the trance giver.

MR. PASCHAR

(dazed)

Why are we going to the top floor? Isn't it the 5th floor for pregnancies? (begins shouting) Hey! I'm talking to you -

NURSE 2

(In a calm and loving voice)

Everything will be fine Mr. Paschar.

Nurse 2's eyes Flash yellow at the end of her words.

Mr. Paschar quiets down once more and returns to his wifes side silently.

Mrs. Paschar starts freaking out.

MRS. PASCHAR

(shouting)

Where are you taking me? And what have you done to my husband? Help! Help! Somebody help us!

Mrs. Paschar quiets down as Nurse 2 begins to speak.

NURSE 2

(a calm and loving voice)

Mrs. Paschar..Everything will be-

NURSE 3

(unearthly voice)

Noooo! Baaaad for baaaaaaby.

NURSE 2

(unearthly voice)

Baaaad for baaaaaby? Noooo harm to baaaaby..

Nurse 2 and 3 stop speaking English and start talking in a completely different and unearthly language involving long and short zipping sounds as well as deep and soft clicks in between their own words.

Mrs. Paschar is entirely frightened and Mr. Paschar is still under their trance.

MRS. PASCHAR

HONEY! DO SOMETHING! Oh my God! what have they done to you!? (looks at the nurses) What are you? (sobbing) Please....(calms down) please just don't hurt my baby.

Nurse 2 and 3 stop talking and look over to Mrs. Paschar.

When The doors open to the top floor the lights are off and the floor is vacant.

Nurse 1 is standing in the doorway.

MRS. PASCHAR

(confused)

How did you..

NURSE 1

Mrs. Paschar.. you are in safe hands and we won't allow anything to happen to you or your family.

Nurse 1 turns to address Nurse 2 and 3.

NURSE 1

We must hurry.

The nurses rush Mrs.Paschar into a lit room and begin to deliver the baby.

Mr.Paschar has taken a seat beside Mrs. Paschar in his trance.

Nurse 1 is delivering the baby.

Nurse 2 is assisting with the delivery.

Nurse 3 is saying comforting words while sponging Mrs.Paschars forehead and neck.

Dr.Verdel is seen walking by the room from one end of the hall to the other.

Dr.Verdel's eyes are angry.

Nurse 1 signals Nurse 2 to go deal with him.

Nurse 2 leaves the tray of medical instruments beside Nurse 1.

Nurse 2 leaves the room by slipping off her gloves casually and then calls for the doctor off camera.

The camera is focused on Mrs. Paschar giving birth and trying to listen in on the conversation outside between Nurse 2 and the Doctor.

NURSE 2

Hello doctor..what a surprise.

DR.VERDEL

Yeah..I'll say. Do you mind telling me what's going on up here?

Mrs. Paschar is about to yell for help..

NURSE 1

(quick whisper)

No...

Mrs. Paschar looks at Nurse 1

Camera focuses on Nurse 1.

Nurse 1 shakes her head no with a sad gesture.

Camera goes back to Mrs. Paschar.

Mrs. Paschar swallows and nods her head to remain quiet.

Nurse 1 lets out a sigh of relief and gets back to helping with the birth.

The camera goes back to Mrs. Paschar giving birth and trying to listen in on Nurse 2 and Dr.Verdel.

NURSE 2

Dr. Verdel... Are you lost?

Dr.verdel

How did you know my name?

NURSE 2

Your name tag Doctor.

DR.VERDEL

(chuckles)

Oh yes that's right, that's right. (clears his throat) So then would you mind telling me what's going on here and why I shouldn't inform the police?

NURSE 2

(calm loving voice)

Are you lost Dr. Verdel?

Silence. Then footsteps.

Mrs.Paschar recognized that tone.

Footsteps stop.

There is a slam all of a sudden and a coughing sound as someone were being choked.

Mrs. Paschar has just finished out a big push and is mouthing the words "what" in heavy breaths.

Nurse 1 simply shuts her own eyes and smiles.

Nurse 2 is heard screaming in pain.

DR.VERDEL

(deep frog toned and thrilling voice)

Your trances don't work on me underling!

Another slam is heard much heavier this time around.

DR.VERDEL

When the child is born you shall hand him over.

Nurse 3 looks worried at Nurse 1 who is still focused on the birth.

NURSE 1

Don't worry Mrs. Paschar. He was foolish not to inform the others of your child birth. We will take care of this and your family will be safe. We will keep you safe.

Nurse 1 signals Nurse 3 to help with Dr. Verdel.

Nurse 3 stops sponging Mrs. Paschars forehead and walks towards the door.

Nurse 3 is seen leaving the room just as casually as Nurse 2 left.

NURSE 3

(calm and loving voice)

Dr. Verdel. You seem lost? Are you lost?

Footsteps are heard in the hall and then stop.

A quick snap can be heard before the sound of a body dropping.

Nurse 1 stops for a brief moment to listen in on the silence. She slowly reaches for the scalpel next to her.

Nurse 2 and 3 begin to argue in their language as they reenter the delivery room.

Nurse 2 has her hand caressing her neck.

Nurse 1 rolls her eyes and gets back to the birthing.

NURSE 3

(human voice)

I just can't believe you'd be so careless..

NURSE 2

(rubbing her neck/ human voice)

Give me a break..

Nurse 1

Let us remain calm. We need not worry of them for now.

Nurse 2 and 3 stay behind Nurse 1 as the birth is almost complete.

NURSE 1

Ok Mrs. Paschar. This last push should do it.

Mrs. Paschar pushes and the baby (Shaun) is finally born.

Nurse 1 is holding the baby.

As the baby begins to cry - glass begins to tremble and break in the delivery room.

The babies eyes are a bright blue.

The nurses look at each other then back at the baby.

NURSE 3

(unearthly voice)

Pooowerfuuuuul...

NURSE 2

(unearthly voice)

Nooot reeeady..suuupreess

Nurse 1 places a single finger on Shauns forehead. She closes her eyes.

Shaun is still crying but no more glass is trembling or breaking and the baby's eyes turn to a normal brown.

The nurses clean Shaun and do a regular check up.

MRS. PASCHAR

(exhausted)

My..my baby. Please..whatev...whoever you are..please don't hurt my baby.

Nurse 1 stops and stares at Mrs. Paschar.

NURSE 1

You too are strong.

As Nurse 1 and Mrs. Paschar do not take eyes off of one another.

NURSE 1

You can relax now Mrs. Paschar. Your family is safe.

Mrs. Paschar becomes relaxed and lays back down continuing to watch Nurse 1 with Shaun.

Nurse 1 hands over Shaun to Mrs. Paschar.

Nurse 2 and 3 look at Mr. Paschar who is sitting still under trance, staring at the bed.

Nurse 1 looks to Mr. Paschar.

Nurse 1

Wake up Mr. Paschar (releasing him from the trance)

Mr. Paschar shakes off the trance.

MR. PASCHAR

What..what did you do to me? What the hell is going on?

NURSE 1

Congratulations mom and dad it's a boy..

Mrs. Paschar is holding Shaun and Mr. Paschar is at a loss for words.

The nurses begin to leave the room.

MRS. PASCHAR

Thank you...

Nurse 1 stops alone at the door and turns around.

MRS. PASCHAR

..for everything. For protecting my baby.

nurse 1

He will be forbidden to smoke, drink and date. He must do no harm unto others and always seek to do the right thing. His suffering will become strength and true tragedy will show the past as tests.

Nurse 1 points to the ceiling.

NURSE 1

He will make sure His child knows His love..

Nurse 1 then places her hand over her heart.

NURSE 1

...and She will make sure their love stay true like no other.

As Nurse 1 remains standing at the door 3 other individuals covered in rags and hoods enter into the room.

One of the three is much taller while the other two are much shorter (like children).

The tallest one reaches out to them and places her hand on Mr. and Mrs. Paschars foreheads.

Mr. and Mrs. Paschar close their eyes. After awhile they remove their hands from Mr. and Mrs. Paschars foreheads to step back.

MR. PASCHAR

(shocked/ in wonder)

(softly)Oh my God...Oh my God..it's real..it's all real..and you..

Mr. Paschar looks at his wife.

mrs. paschar

we..we understand. (fighting back tears)

One of the smaller ones in rags walks over and places a bible on the bed.

Mrs. Paschar looks surprised at the smallest one.

MRS. PASCHAR

It's you..

Mrs. Paschar lets out a breath and tears fall.

Mrs. Paschar looks at Shaun and begins to smile.

MRS. PASCHAR

Yes.. we understand.

Mrs. Paschar rests her head on her husband who then wraps his arms around her.

The camera focuses on Shaun who begins to cry again.

Camera goes black.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is Part 1 of a 3 part screenplay series. Hoping to have it picked up and turned into a film.

natesmickle84@hotmail.ca