Status: done

My Forever Girl

One/One

Kyle grabbed me by the hand, pulling me away from my locker and towards his Jeep as the bell went. I let out a small laugh and almost had to run to keep pace with the lanky blonde. When we reached his car he opened the passenger door and gestured for me to hop in. I obliged and watched him run around to get in his own side.

“I’m taking you somewhere.” He told me with his usual grin planted on his face.

“Really? I wouldn’t have guessed, Ky.” I laughed and started to mess around with the radio while he pulled out of the car park. “Am I allowed to know where we’re going?”

We were headed in a completely different direction to usual. “Nah, I want it to be a surprise.”

I smiled and didn’t ask any more questions. The car ride took longer than I’d expected it to, which was probably the reason that Kyle had rushed me out of school. We laughed and sang along to the radio, Kyle occasionally picking up a rhythm and tapping it out on the wheel. By the time we reached our destination the sun was just beginning to set.

“Just stay here for a few minutes because I have to set things up.” I gave him a confused look but agreed anyway. As an afterthought he added, “Shut your eyes.”

I did as he asked and sat, feeling like a dork while I heard him moving around outside.

“Can I open my eyes yet?” I asked when I hadn’t heard anything for a few moments.

“Yes.” He replied, right beside me. “Open your eyes.”

I was met with the sight of a picnic blanket with some candles set up. Then I fully registered that we were at what used to be the drive in movie theatre. It had been torn down a few years ago and it now overlooked the rest of our small town.

“This is where we had our first date.” I remembered with a gasp.

I looked over at Kyle who was smiling down at his shoes which were kicking at the dirt beneath them.

“I just wanted to bring you out here, you know. I figured the next few weeks are going to be pretty crazy; me and the guys leaving for tour and you heading off to college. I wanted to have just one last perfect night with just you and me.” He told me, not meeting my eyes until he was finished.

I walked over and wrapped my arms around his skinny waist. He responded automatically by pulling me closer and leaning down to press a kiss to the top of my hair.

I pulled out of the embrace and tugged him towards the blanket and candles. We sat down cross legged, hand in hand and looked out at the town that wouldn’t be our home for too much longer.

“It’s not the end. Not for us.” I told him, resting my head on his shoulder. “We’ll be fine. Right?”

I hated that I sounded unsure. “Tay, we’re gonna be more than fine. We’ve got something they could only dream of. You and me, we aren’t going to change. I’ll always feel this way about you. No amount of space between us could ever change that.”

We sat quietly for hours, we watched the sun set and the stars appear in the sky. We watched our town go from a dark orange to a billion dazzling lights. Not being able to see Kyle everyday was going to suck but at least we always had this, and we’d always have each other.

“I love you Kyle.” I told him.

He leant down and pressed a kiss to my lips. “I love you too Tay.”

“What the hell is wrong with you?” I heard Kyle yell after me as I made my way to the front lounge of the bus.

I spun on my heel, and basically ran straight into him in doing so. I glared and scoffed before speaking. “What the hell is wrong with me? What the hell is wrong with you Kyle?”

“What’s up guys?” Jonathan asked as he entered the bus.

“Not now Jonathan.” Kyle and I responded simultaneously. He held up his hands in a sign of surrender before retreating from the bus.

“What’s this about Tay?” He tried to get closer to me but I pushed him back. “I asked you to come and join us for a few of the tour dates so we could spend time together and instead you’ve just been pissed at me.”

“It’s hard enough not getting to be with you when you’re halfway across the country, but it’s worse when were on the same goddamn bus.” I pushed my hair out of my face and looked up at him.

“What’s that supposed to mean Tay? I’m so sick of these riddles, these games; for once just tell me straight up what you mean.” I scoffed and hit him in the chest before turning and heading for the door.

He caught my wrist and pulled me back. “Fine, you know what Kyle; I miss you. I miss you so fucking much and there’s nothing I can do about it. Sure I get to see you for a few days now but then I won’t see you for months on end. I hate how needy that makes me sound but it’s true. I hate not being able to see your stupid face, and I hate that you’re not there to make me feel better when I need you there. Is that ‘straight up’ enough for you?”

“Tay,” His voice softened and it was only then that I realise he still had me by the wrist. “Why didn’t you just tell me?”

I let out a small sob. “You’re doing what you love Kyle. Why would I ruin that for you?”

He used his free hand to tilt my chin up before crouching so he was at the same height as me. “Listen to me, listen carefully. This,” he gestured to the bus, “none of this means anything if I don’t have you to come home to when it’s all over. Sure this is great, but I love you Tay. I’d give it all up for you.”

I shook my head, fighting back tears. “I would never ask you to, Kyle. That would be unfair of me.”

“I know.” He smiled. “And I love you even more for that. Because you’re hurting and you still wouldn’t ask that of me.”

He closed the distance between us and caught my lips with his own. This kiss wasn’t like anything before it. This was desperate and we both needed it way too much.

He pulled back and rested his forehead on mine. “I believe in you and I believe in this and I need you to just hold on. I need you to believe in it too, Tay, because I can’t lose you.”

“You couldn’t lose me Kyle. I’d never be able to let you go.”

“I now pronounce you husband and wife.” The minister told us. “You may kiss the bride.”

Kyle flashed me the most gorgeous smile before leaning and kissing me. I could hear the cheers from our gathered family and friends but it was all dull in comparison to feeling of Kyle’s lips on mine.

“Come on Mrs. Burns.” He whispered to me as he took my hand and we retreated down the aisle.

We made our way to the car which then took us to the hall for the reception. I couldn’t keep the smile off my face the whole time. From the looks of it neither could Kyle. It was still so crazy to think that we’d been together for years and now we’d be together for the rest of our lives.

We moved around the reception, making sure to talk to everyone. The whole time Kyle’s arm stayed around my waist and he took every chance he could to kiss me, even if it was just on the cheek.

Soon enough the speeches started. Kyle’s brother, my sister, one of our high school friends that we’d stayed in touch with, our parents. One by one the people that knew us best got up and spoke about the two of us and everyone had the same central idea; we were forever.

The cake came out and it was so beautiful that I almost couldn’t bring myself to cut it. My love for cake and Kyle’s hand guiding the knife won out in the end though. After that was done it was time for our first dance.

Kyle’s face lit up as he directed me towards the middle of the dance floor. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Caleb, Jonathan and Austin head towards the music stand. I gave them a confused look before turning to Kyle, ready to ask what was going on but he beat me to it.

“Just wait and see.” He told me with a huge grin.

Caleb winked at me before beginning to speak into one of the microphones. “So, this song was specially requested by the groom, in fact he actually wrote it. It’s called Forever Girl.”

Kyle put out his hand as the first few notes rung out from the guitars.

“You're my forever girl
All things aside, just know
No matter what you do, I'll be there for you
When the world starts bringing you down
I'll be there to stop and lift you off the ground
'Cause we've got that thing people
Dream about and see on silver screens
It's undeniable, you're the one
The only one for me.”


Kyle and I were swaying along to the music but I was caught up listening to the lyrics. Yes, Kyle was in a band but he’d never written a song before, and this one was incredible.

“You're my forever girl
No matter what you do
You're my forever girl
And I believe in you
Yeah, I believe in you
Yeah, I believe in you
You're the apple of my eye
My American pie, the light of my life
They say things change with time
But, one thing is for sure it won't be you and I
You and I
'Cause we've got that thing people
Dream about and see on silver screens
It's undeniable, you're the one
The only one for me.”


I recognised some of the lyrics from conversations we’d had previously and the fact that he’s gone to so much effort made tears spring to my eyes.

“Do you like it?” He asked me quietly.

“Kyle, it’s so beautiful. I love it.” I replied.

“You're my forever girl
No matter what you do
You're my forever girl
And I believe in you
Go ahead and scream and cuss me out
'Cause we'll be making love before the sun goes down
No matter how angry or sad you can make me
It wouldn't change a thing
You're my forever girl
No matter what you do
You're my forever girl
And I believe in you
Yeah, I believe in you.”


“You’re my forever girl.” He sung the last line.

When it was done, I pulled him down to me and kissed him. I tried to convey everything I couldn’t say in that one kiss.

Then I said the one thing I could say. I repeated exactly what I’d said to him a thousand times before, what I’d say thousands more times; “I love you Kyle.”

“I love you too Tay.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm still not too sure about this one. Let me know that you think.

Danielle :)