I Knew You Were Trouble When You Walked In

Prologue.

The rain drizzled drearily outside her home. The weather had a real knack for reflecting her mood these past couple of weeks. A few silent tears fell onto her pale pink cheeks, her hand unconsciously brushing them away within a second.

Isabelle turned slightly, her slender body still facing the window she had been peering out of, but her face looking towards her two year old toddler. Zahli was playing quietly in the corner of the lounge room, her gaze focused on the television as a mass of colours and sounds blazed out of it.

Feeling for the hard lump in her jeans pocket, Isabelle knew she had to make the phone call. For her own sanity, and the safety of her daughter. Her eyes watered slightly, however she quickly brushed them away and smiled lovingly at her daughter.

"Zahli, mummy's going outside for a minute, okay?"

Big bright blue eyes gazed towards Isabelle, a cheeky smile playing on Zahli's plump face, "Okay mummy."

Walking towards her handbag, Isabelle picked out a slender cigarette, and made her move towards the back door. She hesitated a moment, and then hurriedly checked the front door to make certain it was locked. Her body then turned and she silently slipped onto her back patio.

Lighting her cigarette, her hands fumbled clumsily in her pocket. The phone touching her fingers and she slid it out of her jeans effortlessly. The effort was required in keeping the phone from falling onto her wooden deck. Her hands trembled, and she felt the phone slip from her grasp, however a lucky grasp stopped it from hitting the floor.

Dialing the number she had dialed so many times before, Isabelle wondered if she would actually go through with it this time. Many a time, she has dialed the number and listened to the rings, before hanging up. She was afraid of what would happen when he found out what she was doing. She was terrified of what he would do to her daughter; their daughter.

Isabelle counted the rings. One, pause, two, pause, three. Isabelle realized how hard her heart was beating in her chest. Her fingers subconsciously fumbled to terminate the phone call, but it was already too late.

A female voice rang clearly through the phone. Although it was stern, Isabelle felt comfort in the woman's soothing tone.

"Da Kine Bail Bonds. How can I help you?"