I Knew You Were Trouble When You Walked In

Chapter Ten.

Once inside, Isabelle was greeted warmly by Beth and Dog, who showered Zahli with an abundance of kisses and cuddles. Zahli had no hesitation telling Dog that she didn't like his name, much to the amusement of everyone else.

Dog laughed heartily, and planted a kiss on her rosy cheek, "Well what should I be called?"

"Grandpa," Zahli smiled, cheekily wrapping her arms around his neck, as a granddaughter would.

"Well then, honey, you can call me Grandpa," Dog returned the smile, placing Zahli on to the tiled floor.

Beth pouted from beside Dog, "What am I going to be called then?"

"I like your name," Zahli said nonchalantly, before getting excited by the flurry of children that had ran past her and out to the backyard. Even during family visits in Chicago, Zahli was only ever greeted by her sole cousin, Max.

"How about you call her Grandma Beth?" Isabelle suggested.

Zahli nodded, turning back to the three adults standing before her, "You can be grandma."

"I'd like that," Beth smiled, bending down to kiss Zahli's forehead. After patiently waiting for her new 'grandparents' to be finished speaking to her, Zahli shot off to play with Garry and some unidentified children. Isabelle watched as Zahli moved comfortably into their circle, laughing happily.

"Come on," Leland tugged Isabelle's arm softly, "I better start introducing you."

Isabelle followed Leland to the backyard where people shouted a happy hello to him. One by one, Leland introduced Isabelle to his family. Having previously met Baby Lyssa, Duane Lee and Dog's brother, Tim, during the bounty in which they had caught her ex, Isabelle lingered with them a little longer, before being rushed off to meet people who greeted her like an old relative.

She had established Leland's long list of siblings; Chris, Duane Lee, Wesley, James, Baby Lyssa, Bonnie, Garry, Dominic and Cecily. She had briefly met his nieces, Abbey and Madalynn, who only stayed to politely say hello before rushing off to play with their new friend, Zahli. Tim's daughter, Autumn, also waved from across the backyard.

Leland walked Isabelle over to a spare few seats situated around a wooden outdoor table. Isabelle sat down quietly, desperately trying to remember names and place them on faces. Leland laughed at the pained look of concentration on her pretty face and handed her a soft drink.

"Sorry that's all we got. Chapman's don't drink alcohol."

"Me neither," Isabelle smiled, cracking open the can. After a brief pause, Isabelle glanced towards Leland, who was watching the kids run back and forth on the grass, "I thought you said there were 10 of you kids? I only met nine, including you."

"My brother, Tucker, is in jail," he answered, his eyes never really meeting Isabelle's.

"Oh I'm sorry," Isabelle quietly said, taking a slow gulp of her drink and settling her eyes onto the wooden grains of the table.

"Don't be sorry," Leland managed a small smile, "He's the one who chose to do drugs. He fucked my dad over pretty bad too. I wanted Dad to cut him loose, but my dad's got a good heart."

"What did he do to your dad?" Isabelle asked curiously, "If you feel like telling me."

Leland laughed, "I wouldn't have said anything if I didn't feel like telling you," he gazed over at Isabelle, who sheepishly looked towards him, "He just recorded my dad on the phone saying some pretty nasty things about his girlfriend. She was bad news and dad was trying to get it through his head. Anyway, Tucker went and sold the tapes to the National Enquirer. Everyone thought he was a racist, even though Tucker knows that wasn't how he meant it."

"Oh my god, that sucks," Isabelle shook her head, looking over to the man who was doting on his two youngest children, "I can't imagine him saying nasty things about anyone."

"He doesn't mean to," Leland turned his attention to his father, a small smile seeping onto his face, "He wants to protect us and his business. He gets frustrated when we don't listen, and says things out of frustration, not to be nasty." He turned back to Isabelle, finally meeting her eyes, "It's a long and complicated story, but his had a hard life. He worked his way up from being an ex-convict to a famous bounty hunter. He doesn't want to lose all that, and he doesn't want to lose his kids."

Isabelle smiled as she watched Leland. The way he looked up to his dad, almost idolising him, was something pretty special.

"Beth doesn't let anyone in unless she has some trust in them. She was always like that, but it's gotten stricter since the whole Enquirer situation," Leland looked towards Isabelle and smirked as he took a sip of his drink, "So I guess what I'm saying is you should feel pretty damn special."

"I do," Isabelle agreed, opening her arms for Zahli who ran into them, panting heavily from playing tip.

-------------

After dinner, the younger children had been settled down in front of the television, while the older ones gravitated to the backyard to sit around the table and talk. It was nice and welcoming, and gave Isabelle a sense of family.

Leland glanced over at her occasionally, a smile breaking whenever he saw Isabelle laughing and relaxing into the family atmosphere he loved. Leland couldn't deny that he had feelings for Isabelle. He spent the majority of his time thinking about her and little Zahli. He stared at his phone for hours, praying that she would call or even text him. The dinner he had attended at her house played over and over in his mind. He wished Zahli had stayed asleep and in her bed that night. Maybe he would have kissed her. People who were close to him were already starting to second guess his true intentions for wanting to 'check up' on her all the time.

The back sliding door opening broke Leland out of his thoughts. Glancing over, purely out of habit due to is own three children, he saw Zahli slumping tiredly against the door frame, rubbing her sleepy eyes. He turned back to Isabelle, who, caught up in a conversation with Baby Lyssa, had failed to notice the presence of her silent daughter. Leland turned back to Zahli and motioned for her to come over.

Zahli managed a tired smile, and stepped out the back door. She toddled over to Leland, awaiting him to scoop her up so she could nestle comfortably on his lap. Once she was snuggled up in his tattooed arms, she closed her eyes and fell soundly asleep.

Leland was astonished at Zahli's comfort around him and his family. He knew, however, that Zahli wasn't always a wanted presence for her father and was probably never acknowledged the way Leland had. Even though he had just been friendly, it was more than her dad had ever given her. He felt sorry for Zahli, but even more so for Isabelle, as she had to deal with the fact that she had brought Zahli into this horrible life she had lived.

"Leland!" Isabelle waved a hand in his face, giggling.

His eyes met hers and he laughed a little, "Sorry I was in my own world."

"I can tell," Isabelle smirked, brushing Zahli's hair from her face, "I was asking if she was asleep."

"Yeah she is," he nodded.

Isabelle shook her head, as laughter erupted from around the table, "I know. I had to get up and see for myself."

"You can put her in my bed, honey, until you're ready to go," Beth gently spoke from behind Isabelle.

"Thank you," Isabelle smiled, turning to give Beth an appreciative look, "How do I get there?"

Before Beth could answer, however, Leland piped up, "I'll take her."

Leland managed to stand up, still cradling Zahli's tiny body in his arms. He walked towards the back door, which Isabelle opened for him. Once inside Beth and Dog's gorgeous bedroom, Leland settled Zahli on to the bed. He grabbed the blanket from the bottom of the bed and placed it delicately over the sleeping child.

"Will she wake up?" Leland asked, glancing over at the woman who was shadowed at the door.

Isabelle shook her head, before realising it was dark and he wouldn't be able to see her, "No. She's a pretty heavy sleeper. Gets that from her dad."

Noticing her pain at saying those last words, Leland attempted to comfort her, "At least she looks like you, and has your personality."

"The less she has from that man, the happier I'll be," Isabelle agreed.

"I'm sorry he was such an asshole," Leland comforted, his hand awkwardly fumbling in the dark to find Isabelle's arm. His hand landed on her shoulder instead. To cover up his blunder, he patted her arm awkwardly.

Isabelle couldn't help but giggle, "Nice cover."

Without realising what he actually doing anything, Leland had swiftly placed his lips on Isabelle's. It had happened in an instant and by the time he realised what he was doing, he made to pull away. But something stopped him. Isabelle's hand had found its way to the back of Leland's neck, effectively holding him in place. His arm snaked around her waist, pulling her closer. It wasn't just a peck; it was the earth-shattering kiss that Leland had envisioned happening for so long. He felt his heart beating faster than possible in his chest and he smiled, feeling Isabelle's hands shaking.

"Did she wa-" The door creaked open slightly, letting in light and exposing the two figures in the room.

"Oh! I'm so sorry!" Beth jumped, as the couple was unveiled. She noticed Zahli stir on the bed and repeated her words in a whisper.

"Don't worry, Beth," Leland smiled, purely because his face wouldn't contort to show any other emotion. He couldn't believe that had just happened.

Isabelle cleared her throat nervously, "We better get back downstairs. I don't want Zahli to wake up."

Beth nodded, tapping her leg and trying desperately to hide the smile that was creeping onto her face, "You're right, honey. Let's go."

The three of them checked Zahli once more before silently walking down the staircase and out into the backyard once more. Isabelle returned to her seat beside Leland, hoping everything would remain normal. Leland was silently grateful. No one, aside from Beth, suspected a thing, and aside from Beth's cheeky grins in their direction, no one paid them any special attention.

The only problem that faced Leland was that he wanted to do it again. He looked towards Beth, who must have noticed the sinking feeling on his face. She waited until no one was paying her any attention and silently mouthed, 'You get to drive her home'.