I Knew You Were Trouble When You Walked In

Chapter Eleven.

"Don't be a stranger," Beth hugged Isabelle, as they stood by the side of the car. Leland was beside them, adjusting the still sleeping Zahli in the car seat.

"I won't," Isabelle smiled, quickly saying goodbye to the few people who had remained late into the night.

Dog tapped gently on the door, as Isabelle hopped into the Hummer, "Was great seeing you, honey."

Baby Lyssa piped up from behind her step-mother, "GIve me a call and we can organise a play date for Zahli and Madalynn."

"Will do," Isabelle grinned before closing the Hummer door, and speaking through the window, "Thanks for tonight."

"You're very welcome," Beth smiled, wrapping an arm around her husband, who was politely stifling a yawn.

Leland laughed from the driver's side of the Hummer. He leaned over Isabelle to talk out of her window, "She isn't leaving you guys forever, y'know. You'll see her again. No need for the fuss."

"I'll bet," Beth smirked, giving a last wave to the pair as the Hummer roared to life and started down the silent, dark street.

------------------------

Isabelle looked out at the quaint yellow-brick home. She paused for a moment, taking in the silence. Zahli softly snored in the back seat. Turning to face Leland, Isabelle smiled slightly seeing him already gazing at her.

"Do you need help taking her in?" He asked, motioning his head towards the back seat.

Isabelle shook her head, "I've always done it by myself."

"Doesn't mean it should stay that way."

Smiling, Isabelle looked back towards Zahli, "It would be easier."

Leland nodded at the acceptance, a smile breaking onto his tired face, "You go and unlock. I'll grab her."

Opening the passenger's door, Isabelle heard Leland unbuckling Zahli from her seat. He spoke to her softly as she stirred in her sleep, mumbling incoherent words every now and then. Another trait from her father. Leland cradled her gently in his muscular arms. As he made his way to the front door, Isabelle unlocked it and allowed him to step into the house with Zahli.

"Her bed or yours?" he asked, quickly glancing over his shoulder, awaiting a response.

"Her bed," Isabelle closed the front door and turned the lounge room light on, "Do you remember where it is?"

"Hasn't been that long, brah," Leland smirked before moving down the dimly lit hallway.

Isabelle made her way to the kitchen and began making coffee for herself and Leland. A few moments later, Leland returned to the lounge room, minus Zahli.

"Out like a light."

"Sounds like Zahli," Isabelle laughed, "A freaking earthquake wouldn't wake that child."

"Wish my kids would sleep like that," Leland chuckled, accepting the coffee with a 'thanks', "When Dakota and Cobie stay with me, I have to freaking tiptoe around, cause they wake up like that." Leland snapped his fingers for emphasis.

"She's been brought up around noise. The first two years of her life was just chaos. Late night screaming matches with her dad. He would bring friends around at like 3 in the morning and they'd laugh and talk loud. I used to come out and tell him to shut up, that he had a daughter to think about. He never cared though."

Leland shook his head, pursing his lips slightly, "No one should have to go through that."

"I can't just blame her father though," Leland looked towards Isabelle, surprised at her statement, "I'm a total klutz so there's always things being dropped and banging. I walk into a wall or a door at least once a night."

Leland snorted and began laughing, "Wasn't expecting that. You just seem so full of grace."

"Shut up," Isabelle laughed herself, smacking his arm playfully.

They made their way to the lounge, where Isabelle flicked on the television and settled a brown blanket over her body. The mug warmed her nervous hands as she curled her legs up underneath her, her back pressed against the arm of the sofa so she was facing Leland.

"So how was it meeting the family?" A cheeky grin played on his lips as he took a sip of coffee.

Isabelle ran a hand through her hair, "Nerve wracking. So many names."

"You've only got one brother, yeah?" Leland asked, as Isabelle nodded, "Older or younger?"

"Four years older." Isabelle pulled her phone from her pocket and flicked through her photos until she found one of her brother cuddling a very small baby Zahli, "That's Ashton."

Leland took the phone and smiled at the resemblance between the two. They had the same shade of chocolate brown hair and big, blue eyes; features that were passed on to Zahli. He handed the phone back, "You two look alike."

"Yeah, we both look like mum," Isabelle smiled at Leland's interest, "So how did you cope with nine brothers and sisters? One annoyed the hell out of me."

"Growing up it was really only me and Duane. I didn't meet my dad until I was eight, so I didn't know I had any others. When I moved in with my dad, Baby Lyssa and Tucker lived with us until they were teenagers. It never was really all 10 of us at the same time. Chris is from dad's high school girlfriend, Duane and I with our mum, Wesley and James with another woman, Baby Lyssa and Tucker with another, and Bonnie and Garry with Beth. Dominic and Cecily are Beth's children from her previous relationships but dad's adopted them. As you can tell from the way he is with Zahli, he loves taking on kids. He’s great with them."

"Wow, so many," Isabelle said, obviously blown away.

"There used to be 12 of us," Leland quietly spoke, taking another sip of coffee before glancing over at Isabelle.

Isabelle realised that Leland was about to tell her something that was bound to upset him. She could tell by the sorrowful tone his voice had taken on, and the way he avoided eye contact with her. She set her mug on the side table and outstretched her legs over Leland, moving the blanket over him as well, "What happened to the other two?"

"Uh," Leland licked his bottom lip before continuing, "B.K. passed away in a car accident the day before my dad and Beth's wedding in 2006."

"I'm so sorry," Isabelle outstretched her arm to rub Leland's hand in an attempt to comfort him, "That is horrible."

Leland nodded, turning his hand over to entwine his fingers with Isabelle's, "Yeah. It was supposed to be the happiest day of their lives, and they had this bombshell dropped on them. Barbara was dad's first daughter. I couldn't imagine how that would feel as a father. I hope I never have to know."

Unsure of what to say, Isabelle kept a grip on Leland's hand and listened intently to what he was saying. He rested his head on the back of the sofa and continued.

"That was hard 'cause we all grew up with her, but after me, my dad and his next wife had a baby boy called Zebediah. He passed away at birth."

"Your poor dad." Was all Isabelle could manage.

"I couldn't imagine losing one child, let alone two," he sighed. His eyes traveled up to the ceiling and Isabelle wondered if he was crying. She couldn't blame him; tears were stinging her own eyes.
Leland looked back towards Isabelle and noticed her eyes watering. He let out a small laugh and wrapped his arms around her. As he pulled her into him, her legs shifted and she comfortably rested against is muscular chest. He stroked her hair softly and rested his chin on her head.

"I'm sorry you had to go through that," Isabelle said, trying her hardest to refrain from breaking down in tears.

Leland couldn't help but laugh, because if he didn't he was sure he would cry himself. He hadn't really opened up to anyone about the hardships he had faced in life, but he felt an almost instant relief.

"You have nothing to be sorry about," he soothed, continuing to stroke her hair, "God has a plan for us all."

Gazing up at Leland, Isabelle smiled at his faith, "It's amazing that you believe in that after all you've been through."

"My dad always taught us that our faith should be the strongest thing in life. When things have gone wrong, I always remind myself that there must be a greater plan for me. It has always panned out."

"I wish I could see things like that. I don't know why God would give me Zahli when life was destined to be horrible for her," Isabelle admitted.

Leland shrugged, "Do you want me to take a guess?"

"Yeah," Isabelle nodded, pulling away from his chest to look at him.

"If you didn't meet Tim and have Zahli, you would've stayed in Chicago. You never would have met my family-"

"Or you," Isabelle interjected.

"Or me," Leland smiled, leaning down to plant a gentle peck on Isabelle's lips. A jolt rushed through his body, however he continued talking, "Maybe you were meant to be in Hawaii for a reason."

"What do you think that reason is, Leland?"

'To be with me' Leland wanted to say. His mind stopped him before he could even open his mouth. Instead he shrugged haphazardly, "That's for you to find out."

"Have you watched this movie?" Isabelle asked, turning away from Leland and facing the television, hoping to end the conversation.

He shook his head, "Nah, heard it's good though."

The two settled into the comfort of the sofa and began to watch the movie as it unravelled on the television screen. It was silent between the pair, and although there were so many things they both wanted to say to one another, they thought it best to keep the conversation light, for the moment anyway.