I Knew You Were Trouble When You Walked In

Chapter Twelve.

A tiny hand pressed against Isabelle's cheek. Her eyes squinted before blinking open. Her curtains had been hastily closed, not being shut entirely, allowing sunlight to stream through a gaping hole. Isabelle glanced down and noticed she was not in her pyjamas, instead in the clothes she had been wearing the previous night. She groggily turned to face the little girl who was pressing her on cheek.

"Mommy, I'm hungry," Zahli whispered, cheekily, before prodding her mother's face yet again.

Isabelle smiled, wrapping her arms around her daughter, "Okay baby. Mommy will make you some toast."

Zahli kissed her mother's cheek, before turning to face the person lying next to her mother, "Good morning Leymand."

Isabelle's heart stopped in her chest as she slowly glanced over at the body slumped next to her. Her eyes bulged, "What are you doing here?!"

"Good morning to you too," he smirked, rubbing his face tiredly.

"Go and watch TV, baby. Mommy will be out in a minute," Isabelle turned back to her daughter, and gave her a reassuring smile. Zahli skipped off happily, obviously unphased by the interaction between her mother and Leland.

Once Zahli was completely out of sight, Isabelle yanked back the covers, breathing a sigh of relief when she spotted Leland's pants still on his body.

"Lucky I had clothes on," he laughed, "I didn't sneak in, if that's what you're thinking."

Isabelle sighed, pressing her back against her faux-leather head board, "I remember what happened. It just took a while to process."

After watching a movie together, Leland had decided it was getting late and that he'd head home. Isabelle had agreed and walked him to the door. He had leant in for a goodnight kiss, which had escalated. However, they had both fallen asleep after ensuring the house secure for their escapade.

"Well I've never had that happen," Leland chuckled, as he sat up as well, pressing his lips to Isabelle's forehead.

"What? Fallen asleep before the action started?" Isabelle laughed, snuggling her head into chest.

He laughed as well, nudging her gently, "Want me to make Zahli some toast?"

Isabelle shook her head, kissing him, "I'll do it. You can relax."

With that, Isabelle stood up, moving out of her bedroom and into the cold lounge room. Zahli was watching TV, laughing, with a man sitting next to her. Isabelle's eyes widened, as she stared at the blonde hair of the man.

"Get out of my house!" she sharply spoke, not wanting to scare her daughter, "I mean it, get the hell out."

The man laughed as he stood up, picking up Zahli along with him, "I think I want to stay and spend time with Zahli, if that's okay with you. Maybe you should lock the front door if you don't want people just waltzing in."

"How did you even get out of jail?!" Isabelle asked, her body moving closer towards the man in an attempt to grab her daughter who was squirming uncomfortably in her father's arms.

"I got bail," Tim shrugged, nonchalantly.

Isabelle rolled her eyes in disbelief, "Who the hell would grant you bail?"

"Not your scum boyfriend and his family," Tim laughed, "Where is the fucker?"

"Do not swear in front of my daughter!" Isabelle snapped, "She wants you to put her down, Tim."

Tim shook his head, squeezing Zahli tightly, "I'm taking her with me."

"Like hell!" Isabelle screamed, "They heard you say that you didn't want her. People heard you, Tim!"

He laughed at her hysteria, "No one is going to believe your new boyfriend's family. I'll say that you and that fucker were having an affair, and you planned to get rid of me."

Leland had made his way out of the bedroom; his torso now covered in a white singlet. He stood defensively beside Isabelle; his body edging in front of her, in an attempt to protect her.

"Ah, there you are!" Tim smirked, his face contorting into a nasty, ugly snarl, "Think you can take my girlfriend and my daughter?"

Leland shook his head, "If you hadn't screwed your life up, I would never have met Isabelle and Zahli. But your loss was my gain, and I won't let you take them away. You're on drugs, you were heard by multiple people saying that you didn't want Zahli and on top of that, during the sting to get you, I sat in my car and heard you telling another drug-addict that he could have Isabelle once you'd left with your money. You're disgusting, and you will never get my girls."

This comment made Tim snap. He dropped Zahli, letting her fall onto the floor with a hard thud. Isabelle rushed forward to comfort her daughter, while Tim lunged forward; his fist connecting with Leland's face.

"Tim, stop it!" Isabelle squealed, as she raced towards her house phone, firstly dialling 911 and then phoning Dog.

Leland had fallen from the connection, however was fighting back just as fiercely. His boxing jabs were connecting solidly with Tim's scrawny, scarred face. It took only a few moments before Leland had knocked him unconscious. He casually walked towards Isabelle's bedroom to inspect his cut lip in her mirror.

Isabelle ran into the bedroom, clutching her daughter tightly, "Are you okay?" she puffed.

Leland wrapped his arms around her tightly, and kissed her forehead, "I'm fine. Are you okay?"

"No." That was the truth and Leland could tell. Her blue eyes watered as she stared up at him; his ruffled hair and the red liquid seeping from his lips.

"It'll be okay, baby. I'll make sure he never gets Zahli, I promise." He leaned down and kissed her gently, before brushing her hair from her face, "I'm going to get cleaned up before the police come."

"Leland," Isabelle whispered as he stepped towards her ensuite, "Thank you."

He smiled, a broad beaming smile, "I don't think you realise just how much I would do for you."

Isabelle smiled back as he stepped out of sight, into her bathroom. She cradled her daughter tightly as she heard footsteps coming from her lounge room, and booming voices telling Tim to stay down.