I Knew You Were Trouble When You Walked In

Chapter Twenty-Six

Boxes littered the entrance of Leland's home. Isabelle sighed, leaning against the door frame and wiping her dusty hands against her black workout leggings. A loose singlet hung over her slender frame, her hair pulled back into a messy ponytail. Leland gave her a smirk as he brushed past her, dropping another box, labelled 'books', onto the floor. His muscular arms glistened slightly as they tensed. Isabelle smiled, glancing toward the doorway as Dakota stepped in, holding two boxes.

"There's only a few boxes left," Dakota smiled, settling the boxes against the wall. "They're pretty light too."

"We can get the rest, babe," Leland leaned toward her, kissing her softly. "Go and make yourself a coffee. You look exhausted."

Isabelle nodded, entering the kitchen and making herself a cup of coffee. She had had a long, sleepless night, tossing and turning, overthinking. Her mind constantly ticked over the possible consequences of moving in with Leland. In the end, sleep finally overcame her for a moment until she was awoken by Zahli's small hands tapping her face lightly, saying she was hungry.

Breaking her away from her thoughts, Leland leaned against the countertop beside Isabelle. He nudged her, causing her to smile slightly, "You okay?"

"I'm okay," she sighed. "Just tired."

He wrapped an arm around her shoulders, pulling her closer to him. She inhaled, allowing herself to rest against him. "Didn't sleep well last night?"

She shook her head, not wanting to divulge in the incessant thoughts that swirled inside her mind. She knew they were ridiculous, and she was well aware of the response Leland would give to comfort her. Deep down, she believed him, but it was difficult for her to just forget those thoughts, especially after her traumatising relationship with Tim.

Leland cradled her tightly, kissing her temple, lingering there for a moment, "Hopefully tonight, you'll be a bit more relaxed, now that you're here."

Isabelle gazed up at him, giving him a reassuring smile. She could tell by the look on his face that he was anxious, worried that she would decide that this was all too much and leave. "Once everything's unpacked, I'll be good."

"Let's get unpacking then," he grinned, laughing slightly. Isabelle loved his laugh. It was different, not a typical chuckle. It made her smile just hearing it, and sometimes when he found something really funny, it made her laugh as well. "If you feel up to it tonight, I thought we could go out for dinner? Since Dad and Beth have Zahli."

"Better unpack my clothes first then," Isabelle winked, kissing Leland's cheek as they exited the kitchen to face the mountains of boxes awaiting them in the foyer.

Dakota peered over a brown box marked 'Zahli's things', "Did you want me to put some of these away?"

Isabelle shook her head, "Nah, your dad and I can take it from here. Thankyou so much for your help, Dakota."

"Where you itching to head off to?" Leland asked, raising his head from a box to look at his son.

Dakota scratched the back of his neck, before glancing over to his father, "My friends are having this party thing and I thought, you know, maybe I could go?"

Leland stood up, crossing his arms firmly over his chest, "Where's the party?"

"Kua Bay."

"Who's going?"

"Friends from school. I'm not too sure who they're inviting."

Leland nodded slightly, before moving back towards the boxes, "Don't be home too late." Before Dakota had a chance to say anything further, Leland spoke, "And no you can't take the Hummer."

"How did you know I was even going to ask that?" Dakota laughed, before stepping towards the hallway to get ready.

Leland laughed, "I know everything. Remember that, Dakota, I know everything." He annunciated the word 'everything', causing Dakota to chuckle.

"Yeah, yeah."

------------------------------------------

Isabelle stepped out of the car, Leland holding the door open for her. She smiled as a thank you, before shifting the black dress further down her thighs. Grabbing her hand, he squeezed it lightly, "You look amazing."

She laughed, her cheeks tinging red, "You've told me that at least four times now."

"And you still blush every time," he smirked, leading her towards the glass doors of the restaurant.

They were seated quickly at an outdoor table that overlooked the glimmering waves of the darkened beach. The waitress settled menus in front of them, before shuffling away. Isabelle peered over her menu, taking in the breathtaking view in front of them. Leland caught her, letting out a small laugh.

She blushed slightly, "It's so pretty. The whole time I've been in Hawaii, I don't think I've ever seen the beach at night."

"Well I've seen it plenty of times," Leland grinned, glancing back down at his menu, "But it's even better with you."

"Cheesy line," Isabelle laughed, raising her eyebrow as she turned to face Leland, "But sweet."

The waitress came over, ending their conversation as they recited their orders. She left and returned hastily with their meals. General chatter filled the air as they ate, Isabelle glancing often at the dark blue water twinkling with the reflections of the stars, which filled the black night sky. There was a warm breeze blowing, which caused the palm trees to rustle slightly along the beach. It really was beautiful.

As they left the restaurant, Leland took her hand in his, entwining his fingers with hers. He paused for a moment, kissing her cheek softly, "Do you want to go and walk on the beach?"

He didn't wait for her answer, instead tugging her towards the sandy pathway that led down onto the shore. She pulled off her small heels, lacing them over her wrist. Leland had chosen not to wait, already halfway down the pathway. Isabelle laughed, jogging as best she could in her black dress; once reaching him, jumping onto his back and allowing him to carry her down to the shore. Her toes touched the soft sand as he settled her down, her arms wrapping around his muscular torso, her chin resting against his shoulder. She sighed, gazing at the amazing view in front of her. Leland turned to face her, kissing her intensely as the moonlight danced around them.

"I feel like a teenager," he laughed.

"So do I," Isabelle giggled, "Well I'm closer to being one than you are, but."

Leland shook his head, chuckling, "Shut up."

Isabelle responded by kissing him, wrapping her arms around his neck; his hands tightening around her torso, pulling her closer to him. He broke away, gazing down at Isabelle, who was biting her lip. "Let's go home," he whispered, kissing her once more, before taking her hand and leading her back up the sandy trail.