I Knew You Were Trouble When You Walked In

Chapter Three.

It was around 8:30 that night that Tim had decided to come home. Leland had ducked back to his car after lunch, and patiently waited for any signs of Isabelle's partner to return home. He called his father and Beth at around 8 when he saw two men walking towards the house. They stopped and paused near a dimly lit window on the outside of Isabelle's house. Leland assumed it was her bathroom, and he watched in disgust as the two men peered inside.

Beth had told Leland not to approach in case it was their fugitive, and they scared him off. He was to wait until the team got there. One of the men walked to the front step of the house and fumbled about in his pocket for the keys. He found them and opened the door, shouting something to the second man. Leland wound his window down and strained to listen to what was being said.

"Glad you enjoyed the peep show," the man entering the house laughed.

"Fuck man," the second one shook his head, "you'd never guess she'd pushed out a kid."

"When I've fucked off with my money, bra, you can have her."

Leland felt his blood boiling. With all the problems he had encountered with both Maui and Lynette, he knew he would never speak about them the way this man, who he was certain was the fugitive, was speaking about Isabelle. She had brought his child into the world and he repaid her with vulgar comments and showing off his nude girlfriend to disgusting men on the street.

Leland radioed in to Beth and his father to tell him the fugitive had entered the house. They said they were two minutes away and for Leland to make his way towards the home and get himself prepared.

------

The takedown was relatively quick. Dog had knocked on the door and Isabelle had been quick to let him inside. Beth had followed swiftly to grab Zahli and move her to Leland's Hummer, which had been moved to the front of the home. Isabelle had quietly stood out the front, puffing on cigarette after cigarette, trying desperately to calm her nerves.

Tim had hurled a barrage of abuse towards Isabelle, and when Beth had told him that she had been doing the right thing for her little girl, Tim had responded with a very clear, "Fuck that kid. All that little brat ever did was ruin my life."

"You ruined your life, brother," Dog commented as he led Tim towards the black car that was going to take him to jail.

Leland walked towards Isabelle, seeing her shoulders slumped over defeated. Her fingers fumbled for another cigarette. Leland waited until she had lit it and smiled helplessly at her.

"He has no idea what he's lost."

Isabelle managed a strained smile, "he hasn't lost very much."

"A beautiful girlfriend and a gorgeous daughter. That's a lot," Leland brushed a stray hair away from Isabelle's cool blue eyes. His hand lingered probably too long on her olive skin. She stared up at him, trying to figure out why her stomach was knotted.

"Thanks," Isabelle quickly spoke, her voice breaking whatever was happening between the two.

A sharp voice broke the quiet stillness of the moment, "Be careful, bra! She makes you think she's an angel and then she fucks your life in a heartbeat."

Leland turned around, his body shifting slightly in his bulletproof vest. He walked towards the car that housed Tim Hardy, and laughed as the man smirked cockily.

Before Leland could open his mouth or raise a fist, Beth had stepped in, "you're disgusting. You shouldn't be a father. That baby girl deserves better and when you get out of jail, don't come anywhere this child again. Do you hear me?"

Tim shifted in his seat. His final words before he was escorted to the police station, showed the Chapman family what a horrible man he was.

"I never wanted that child. I never wanted Isabelle. I just needed the cash."

Leland slammed the door, shutting out the shouts of the man sitting in the car. He turned to face Isabelle, who was trying not to cry.

"You did the right thing, honey," Beth smiled, and picked up Zahli from the car, moving her over towards her mother who clung to her, hoping she hadn't understood the vile words that man had said.