I Knew You Were Trouble When You Walked In

Chapter Six.

Unknowingly, Leland had shifted himself closer to Isabelle. His eyes stared at her, causing her heart to thump heavily from behind its bony cage. In a swift motion, Leland's hand left the door handle, moving towards Isabelle's waist, however the sound of soft padded footsteps broke through the silent moment like a knife.

Leland's hand dropped to his side and his eyes shifted from Isabelle to the sleepy toddler who was looking towards him.

"Zahli, honey, what are you doing up?" Isabelle stepped away from Leland, but not before looking up into his brown eyes once more.

"I had a nightmare," the little girl replied, rubbing her eyes sleepily, "Leymand is staying?"

Leland quietly laughed, "No sweetheart, I was just about to go home."

Zahli opened her mouth to protest, but her mum quickly swept her up, and moved towards the front door where Leland stood, "Leland has to go home, baby. He has to work tomorrow morning. Say goodnight."

"Nuh-night," Zahli smiled, waving a tiny hand.

"Goodnight," Leland waved back. His eyes flickered to Isabelle once more, and tried to gauge a reaction from her, yet her eyes never met his. She strained a smile, and stood in the doorway as Leland made his way out to the Hummer.

"Goodnight Leland. Drive safely."

"My number is there if you need me," he reminded Isabelle, before hopping into his car, "Aloha."

Isabelle watched the white Hummer escape into the dark night. When it had disappeared entirely, she kissed Zahli softly on the head and stepped back inside. Locking the door, she turned the lights off and made her way to her bedroom. Wrapping Zahli in her blanket, Isabelle cuddled up next to her. Her heart was still racing, her breathing still irregular.