I Knew You Were Trouble When You Walked In

Chapter Seven.

A few days had passed since Leland had visited the home of Isabelle and Zahli. There was no communication between the two. Isabelle had often caught herself glancing at the ripped piece of paper that was positioned under a blue vase full of white lilies. Leland's phone number was scribbled messily across the note paper. Isabelle hadn't moved the piece of paper, too hesitant to call it and too scared to lose it. Knowing that she could contact Leland at any time seemed to provide an immense amount of comfort.

Zahli had grown accustomed to asking when Leymand would be coming over again. She had liked him being present at dinner; something she hadn't known around her father. Family normality hadn't been a key component in Tim's messed up life. Isabelle had thought to call Leland after this conversation, but had quickly decided against it.

Although something about Leland had drawn in Isabelle, he wasn't her type. He confused her somewhat. His stereotypical 'bad boy' image was directly in contrast to his occupation. His heavily tattooed arms and long hair would have sent Isabelle running in the other direction, had she not needed him for protection against her partner. Life is a funny thing really. The soft blonde-haired, blue-eyed accountant had become evil, and the heavily tattooed, long haired boxer had been her knight in shining armour.

------

It was exactly one week after Leland had visited, that Isabelle decided to call him. Stepping onto her back patio, she quickly punched in the number and waited patiently for his voice to ring out on the other end. It didn't.

Hanging up, Isabelle found herself disappointed. Moving into the house, she began to prepare dinner for herself and Zahli.

-------

'Sorry I missed your call. Was out on a bounty. Just got home. Is everything ok?'

The message rang through the house at around eleven-thirty that night. Isabelle stirred from her lonely queen sized bed, and grabbed her phone from the nightstand. Seeing Leland's name, she felt the familiar knot tying in her stomach.

'Everything ok. Zahli was asking about u. Just seeing if u wanted to come over for dinner. All good :)'

Isabelle placed the phone delicately on her pillow, and let her eyes close. A familiar song played through the eerily quiet home. Isabelle jumped, turning to face her phone. He was calling.

"Hello?" Isabelle whispered, standing from her bed and softly padding down the hallway, onto the back patio.

"Hey, did I wake you?" His voice sounded tired.

"No, was just getting up for a smoke." Isabelle lied, however she placed a white cigarette to her lips and lit it up.

"I didn't think you were ever gonna call," Leland laughed.

Isabelle smiled through the phone, a small giggle playing on her tone, "I wasn't."

"Oh cut me down," there was a brief pause, before Leland began speaking again, "I'm sorry if I made you feel uncomfortable the other night."

"You didn't," Isabelle quickly responded. The more she seemed to speak to Leland, the more comfortable she felt around him. Needless to say, his eyes had become a permanent fixture in her thoughts. Those amazing brown eyes.

"Sorry I couldn't make dinner tonight. Tell Zahli I'm sorry."

"She'll be right," Isabelle yawned.

Leland paused once more, before speaking, "I can come over tomorrow for dinner if you want?"

Isabelle thought for a moment, before answering. Was she getting in to something she shouldn't be? Was she simply leaning on Leland for support? She didn't want Zahli to get attached to him, only to realise that he was simply a crux for her mother to find comfort in. In the end, however, she realised that Leland was a good guy. He had saved her a little over a month ago, and he was still visiting. Zahli loved him and at least he was becoming a friend in Hawaii.

"Sounds great."