Status: In-Progress

Ties That Bind Us

Chapter Three

Chapter 3

EVA’S POV:

Nighttime rolled around, and before I knew it, Harry had to leave for London. He took us back to the centre, where he said goodbyes to the children and workers there. He was all smiles and laughter, even when he was sweaty and muddy from the day. I smiled slightly in the corner, stroking Aiden’s curls. I could see that Harry was in his element – talking and being surrounded by people. He knew what he was doing.

When finished his goodbyes to the other volunteers, children, Ana, Julia and Ernesto, he turned to Aiden and me.

‘You do know that hiding in a corner was too conspicuous, right?’ Harry joked with Aiden.

‘Oh, no sir. We weren’t hiding.’ Aiden replied, leaning into me. ‘That was a very nice trip that you did, sir. I learnt a lot.’ My son continued, his smile quite tired from the day we just had.

Harry smiled gently to him and turned to me. ‘May I carry him?’

I smiled in reply. ‘Of course.’ Harry kneeled down to Aiden’s height; he opened his arms to carry him comfortably. Once Aiden was in his arms, Harry stood up with a dazed, happy look in his eye.

Aiden, like he always is when somebody hugs him, put his arms around Harry’s neck and gave him a toothy grin. He looked below him and said ‘You’re much taller than I expected, sir.’

Harry laughed quietly and messed his curls a bit. Aiden groaned and put his head in Harry’s shoulder, closing his eyes.

I watched them.

Unabashedly.

Harry, when felt Aiden’s head on his shoulder, began moving him closer. His arms enclosed to Aiden’s back. He put his cheek into Aiden’s curls inhaling them and giving his cheeks and forehead a kiss goodnight.

Aiden snuggled closer and wrapped his intertwined hands in Harry’s neck a bit stronger. He yawned softly, that I almost couldn’t hear him if I wasn’t so in tune with his voice, ‘Can I sleep in your arms, sir?’

‘If you stop saying sir, you may.’

‘But what do I call you, then?’

Harry smiled. ‘Call me Harry.’


Once Aiden started dozing, Harry and I decided to leave the busy building. We went outside and sat on the ground overlooking the Highlands that made Lesotho the Mountain Kingdom it was named for.

I breathed in the fresh, cold air. The stars were so bright in this part of the world it was fascinating.

‘Where do you live in London?’ He asked me.

I turned towards him and gave him a suspicious look. ‘Excuse me?’

Harry pursed his lips and turned away, blushing. ‘Sorry. That sounded weird.’

‘It sounded creepy.’ I corrected him.

He took off his hat and put it on Aiden’s head when he noticed he was shivering. He frowned at my son.

‘He’s always cold when he’s asleep.’ I whispered.

‘Well, that’s not normal is it?’

I licked my dry lips. ‘No.’

‘So, uhm, is your family well known?’ He asked after a few moments of silence.

‘Shouldn’t you be packing your belongings for the upcoming flight?’ I dodged and fixed my long skirt to the side.

‘And shouldn’t you be answering the question?’ He snapped back to me.

I sighed at his stubbornness. ‘To aristocrats and royalty? No. To bakers and soldiers? Yes.’

‘Oh, so you have siblings.’ Harry commented gazing at the mountains.

I nodded and my eyes noticed Eric, who was one of Harry’s RPO’s, behind us.. He nodded when he caught my eye and returned my smile.

‘I have eleven siblings in total.’

‘Really now?’ He looked back at me.

‘I do.’ I told him. ‘They’re all boys and we’re all twins. The oldest is 34 years old and I’m the youngest at 25.’

‘Well, that’s must be tiring for your parents.’ Harry commented.

‘It is, but my siblings and I got along quite well. So, I guess that’s that. It’s going to be nice to be able to see them again when we go back to London tomorrow.’ I admitted to him.

‘How long haven’t you seen them?’

‘Four years, ever since I started doing this trip. Papa was quite adamant that I was too young to go and travel, but I put my foot down. Mama just wanted me to eat lots of rice and stay healthy.’

Harry laughed quietly, and our already easy-going conversation flowed well. I invited Julia and Ernesto to join us, but Julia just blushed and said she was tired while Ernesto made an excuse that he wasn’t done packing.

We talked more and he laughed at my dry science jokes. I also attempted to laugh at his royal and sporty jokes (that I just didn’t understand). The conversation was relaxing.

When I first met him, which was last night, I first looked at his posture, the big things that made him. He was witty, adventurous and quite charming. Overall, he was the making of the prince that every girl who still believed in fairytales wanted.

As we continued talking through the day and now, I began to notice the little things; I, of course, tried not to make assumptions just based on what I thought I knew. However, his smiles when talks about his brother or Sentebale or even children – it was just hard not to make one.

His personality made my head ache with theories and assumptions. Harry was difficult to read, like Ana and Ernesto was when I first met them. I wanted more time to figure him out, to genuinely know him because he seemed so caring about the big things that doesn’t primarily concern him, but others. He was filled with restricted energy; I can almost see it trying to burst free. His hands, that showed his passion, moved always and his eyes, when interested and focused, was on you all the time.

‘Sir,’ called Eric. Harry turned to face him, his cheeks getting rosier because of the cold. ‘We have to go now.’

‘Of course.’ Harry stood up slowly, so as not to jostle the deep sleep of Aiden. He handed him to me gently, kissing his cheeks softly one last time.

I gave him a smile and offered my hand. ‘It was nice meeting you, Harry.’

‘I might never see you again.’ He repeated his words from last night.

I laughed softly and gave him a kind smile. ‘That’s the plan.’


When I stepped into the tiny room that I’ve been sleeping for two and a half months, I was met with light hostility. My friends looked at me weirdly… while Julia, was looking at me a bit suspiciously.

I put Aiden to bed before sitting on the floor beside Ernesto. I sighed and looked at the unrelenting face of Julia.

‘Hit me.’

‘What was that?’ Julia asked, hands on her hips.

‘Can you be more specific, please?’

‘You! Talking to Harry!’

Ernesto huffed at my side. ‘I thought it was Prince Harry.’

Julia turned her glare to him. ‘Don’t you start, mister.’

‘I was just talking to him. He was keen to know what made us volunteer for his charity and why we travelled to Lesotho. Small chit-chat.’ I shrugged.

‘With the Prince?!’

‘Ssh! Lower down your voice, Aiden’s sleeping.’ I told her. Julia sighed and sat down across me. From this distance, I could see her eyes were shining – not angry at all.

I gaped. ‘You bit-‘

She giggled and clapped her hands softly. ‘Sssh! How was it? Did he ask you on a date? Was he nice as he looked like? Tell me!’

Ernesto turned to me, an eyebrow raised questioningly. ‘Please tell me you played a bit harder to get, please.’

I hit him on his arm and shot an annoying look at Julia. ‘There wasn’t any date, you idiots! We talked! Is it already considered dating if you talk to someone from the opposite sex?’

‘It is if it’s the Prince!’ Julia exclaimed.

I sighed. ‘It’s one-time thing, Julia. I’m hardly going to meet him again.’

She huffed and drank from her mug. ‘We’re going to be staying in London for a year, who knows what might happen.’

‘Right, like I’ll just magically see him in the streets of London getting a burger from McDonalds.’

‘Prince Harry is notorious for being in clubs and such,’ she bit her lip, looking at me behind her eyelids. ‘We could, you know, maybe go to a club….’

‘No.’ I told her firmly, my eyes hard and defenses up.

‘But we’re going to be there and you’ll be totally –‘

‘Julia,’ Ernesto warned. His voice low, he tightened his grip on my shoulders. ‘Leave it alone.’

‘Fine,’ she pouted. ‘I’m sorry.’

‘It’s fine. Just…not yet, okay?’ I pleaded with her. ‘If you want, you could all go to a club downtown when we get to London. I’ll be absolutely fine.’

‘You know we don’t work like that.’ Ana chimed in from her bed on the other side. ‘We reach important milestones together, or not at all.’ She gave a look to Julia.

‘I can’t believe it.’ Ernesto exclaimed quietly. ‘I’m actually going to London.’

‘We’ll tour you around,’ I promised him. ‘We could go to the Eye, eat fish and chips, see Buckingham Palace.’ I say. ‘And you know what’s going to be the best part?’

‘What?’ Julia asked. I hit her leg jokingly making her squeal and not looking sorry anymore.

‘What?’ Ernesto asks this time. I smile.

‘We’re going to be touring London in skates.’

‘Are you serious?!’ Ana shouted from her bed. She sat up and looked towards us, I nodded in confirmation. ‘Yep. We’re going to be tourists in our own country – in style.’

Ana laughed and whooped for joy, slightly waking Aiden. I got up and brushed his locks to calm him again. I leaned in and whispered to him. ‘Sshh…’

‘This is going to be so awesome!’ I heard Ana exclaiming to the others. I smiled slightly. Re-experiencing London in a new perspective after 4 years was important to her, as it was to Julia and I as well.

It was a time for closure, and a new London – experienced in new yet mature eyes.

‘Aren’t we too young for London? With its historic churches, museums, parks, monuments…’

All three of us girls looked at one another before laughing quietly.

‘Everybody’s too young for London!’



When we stepped out of the terminal, I immediately began to search for my family.

They found me before I did.

Hooting and shouting, they were loud and boisterous; the same as ever. I heard them call my name.

‘Eva! Eva!’ I didn’t know who was shouting. Was it Marcus or Leo? Or was it all of them?

I laughed loudly in excitement. They were here! I was home! Aiden, who also heard the shouts, glanced above my neck and looked around who was causing the commotion. When he saw the huddled tall men at the middle of the airport, he wiggled out of my arms and started running towards them, his arms flying widely.

‘Uncles! Uncles! Gran! Gramps!’ He started shouting.

My brothers and parents took them in their arms. Caught with emotion, I looked at Julia and Ana, who were already with their respective families. Ernesto, who was looking at me with affection, nudged his head. ‘Run.’ He told me. ‘I’ll be right behind you.’

And I did.

I ran.

They surrounded me; I’ve never felt so short in my life. ‘Eva…Eva…Eva…Eva…’ They chanted in one voice. The warmth of being in their presence again after four long years, their joviality and laughs…I was home.

I was home…

I was home…

I hugged each of them, tears in my eyes. I hugged my twin first, Leo, who almost didn’t let me go. ‘Oh, pancake…You’re back…you’re back…don’t leave that long again. Don’t leave me again.’

I sobbed softly onto his arms. This was my twin. We were together before we were even born, and the four years apart killed him.

It killed me.

‘I’ll try…I swear to I’ll try…’ I wanted to tell him that I was never going to leave him again, but that will be a lie.

A cruel, cruel, lie.

I hugged the second youngest twins, Charlie and Alex. I moved to Gerald and Ethan, Adam and Vincent, Troy and Hector and the oldest twins Christian and Marcus.

They were all so tall, so safe and so warm. Each sibling smelled and felt different, but they reminded me of home. The tears continued as they kissed my cheek, my palm, my forehead, and my arm. Why did I ever leave them? Why?

Their hugs were strong and confident, just right for me. They whispered to my ears, they shouted and they passed me from brother to brother. It was a mess – collateral.

And soon enough, I was facing my parents.

Their smiles were the first thing I noticed.

Then everything came after that.

The color of their eyes, their hair, their clothes, and their arms outstretched to greet me. I sobbed, not caring that we had the attention of most of the people in the terminal, not caring that Aiden hated to see me cry.

I didn’t care at all.

I jumped into the hug, my knees giving up on me. My parents were taken back and started to laugh loudly, like they always did on weekly Friday dinners in front of the telly and the warm fireplace.

My mum’s soft arms surrounded me, her whispers in my ear, on my hair. She was crying too. Her black curls, much like mine, enveloped my head, hiding me from the world, still. Papa’s warm and deep voice roused me from the comfort of her arms and I hugged him too, harder than what was necessary. He ruffled my hair. He then intertwined his arms to my waist and responded to my hug. He twirled me around and around, lifting me off the ground. Memories of being young, being lifted like this came to focus and I buried my head into his neck, nuzzling his jaw.

For a moment, I was lost in that memory. Dancing with Papa in our living room, laughing while the music played.

‘Mama! Mama! I want to hug Gramps and Gran too!’

I laughed and gave Papa a squeeze before entangling my arms from his neck. I wiped leftover tears and turned to Aiden, stepping away. ‘Go ahead, son.’

I let them have their fun and looked over at my friends. Julia and Ana were with their respective families, once I caught their eyes they waved and smiled. Ernesto, however, was alone. He was looking over to me, a smile on his face. He mouthed, ‘Are you okay?’

I nodded with a smile and walked towards him. I grabbed his hands, rough from manual work and lead him to my family. Which I hope, will also be his new family.

‘Guys,’ I croaked out. My voice still not recovered from the emotional rollercoaster of reuniting with my family again. They began to quiet down slowly. I tightened my grip on Ernesto’s hand. ‘This is Ernesto Rodriguez. He was the person I told you about in Canada. He has nowhere else to go, so I told him he could stay with us.’

They smiled welcomingly at him. I turned to Ernesto, who still looked uncomfortable. ‘Ernesto, family.’ He smiled shyly.

‘Family,’ I turned towards them. ‘Ernesto.’

‘Hello Ernesto.’ ‘Hey man!’ ‘Awesome!’ were the responses from my family. Mum stepped towards him and opened her arms to hug him.

I let go of my hand on him, smiling slightly. Letting him feel Mama’s hugs and to sniff London’s air and hear the buzz of people.

My home.

It’s been too long.

‘Well, aren’t you a young hot man.’ I heard Mum comment to Ernesto, and before I could stop anymore Papa decided to join in, ‘You sure you’re just friends with my daughter, son?’

I gaped at both of them, my happy feelings coming to a stop.

Ernesto laughed and returned Mum’s hug. ‘I’m absolutely sure, sir. We’re just friends.’

The laugh that came from our group was loud. I met eyes with Aiden and gave him my best smile.

He smiled back.

We were, at last, finally home.



HARRY’S POV:

The beat of the music, the heat and the booze was exactly what I needed. I wanted to dance and to let loose before I went back to training in 3 weeks.

When I was sweating and quite boozed out, Jack and Alfie led me to the private booth. My eyes were probably glassy with alcohol, but I didn’t care. It was time to celebrate. The press didn’t know where I was for the time being and that was always good.

‘Right?’ I asked, sharing a joke with them.

‘Oh bloody hell, Harry!’

‘What the fuck did you think you were doing?’

‘Hey!’ I protested. ‘It was completely normal, he didn’t even blink!’

We laughed again.

And when it was time to leave, I patted Jack and Alfie’s back before saying a goodbye. I stretched my arms.

‘Oi!’ Alfie cried out behind me.

‘Yeah?’ I asked. I was out in the open; the press, although not here right now, could come anytime soon and it was better if I wasn’t here for that.

‘Don’t forget the polo match this Saturday, alright? It’s important for my family and I – they’re expecting you there!’

‘Sure, man!’ I told him, walking briskly to the car.

Once the door was shut, I closed my eyes and groaned.

Aiden’s toothy and quirky smile flashed beneath my eyelids, then came his mother’s loveliness.

I have to forget her because I’m never going to see her again.