Status: On hiatus whilst I focus on my education - apologies, guys :(

To Wed a Princess

Chapter Twelve

Eloise didn't own a yacht, but when she saw Charlotte's she seriously considered buying one. It was truly a thing of beauty, her eyes widened as it came into sight. Kate and Eloise had flown from London to Cape Town, South Africa and then had been taken out to the yacht a few miles off the coast via speedboat. It had five levels, getting larger as they descended, with the bottom one extending out across the open ocean – including a ladder at the edge to make it easier to climb in and out of the ocean for a dip.

"Oh, wow," Kate murmured "That's gorgeous."

"Lucky us," Eloise laughed quietly, adjusting her sunglasses as their bags were brought onto the yacht and then taken away by staff.

"Security?" Charlotte frowned questioningly in greeting as she walked towards them and pulled Eloise into a hug.

"Light security," Eloise shrugged "A precaution. I always have security."

Said guards had dispersed around the boat to find advantageous positions where they wouldn't be noticeable or in the way.

"This yacht has the best security cameras money can buy," Charlotte frowned "Honestly, it's practically like watching a movie."

"Security cameras can't protect you if a boat full of psychopaths shows up," Eloise retorted "The yacht is beautiful, though."

"It is, isn't it?" Charlotte sighed happily "Although...I do have one thing to tell you before you're shown to your room – you and Kate will be sharing if that's okay?"

"Oh, that's perfectly fine," Kate nodded with a smile as she continued to look around the yacht.

"What do you have to tell me?" Eloise asked.

Charlotte's answer came in the form of Brian Haner walking on deck.

"Ladies," he nodded, as if he had every right to be there.

"Are you having a fucking laugh?" Eloise hissed and everybody's eyes widened at her language.

Charlotte seemed bewildered to be on the recieving end of Eloise's exclamation, and fixed her with a wide-eyed innocent look. Eloise saw right through it.

"After all of that....After that speech you fed me at my birthday party! About how you were oh so sorry and wanted to back to old times! You are so...You are so full of shit, Charlotte! It's unbelievable!"

Eloise could play word games – in her social circles it came with the territory, but being outright lied to and decieved? It made her blood boil and all frustration towards Charlotte that had been building up even since before she'd been introduced to Brian seemed to flow through her. She was powerless to stop it, and she wasn't even sure she wanted to.

"El-"

"No! Don't 'El' me! This is a complete joke! All of it! I mean, Jesus Christ, Charlotte! When was the last time we spent time together without you having some kind of alterior motive?" Eloise was shouting now, not caring about the staff who were doing their best to pretend they weren't there but would no doubt spread word of her little episode afterwards "My personal life is none of your concern! None! I know that may be hard to believe, seeing as you believe everything is your business. You may need a man to feel complete – you may need male attention to feel special, but I don't! Who I sleep with and who I don't sleep with is none of your concern, so stop bloody well pretending it is!"

The affronted expression on Charlotte's face offered Eloise a small amount of satisfaction.

"Oh, and while I'm being honest – and trust me, Kate and I are the only honest people on this fucking boat, Rafael Cardona is twice the human being you ever were and ever will be. You dislike him because he never gave you a second look."

With that she gave Charlotte her most patronising, simpering smile and stormed further into the yacht, a rather flustered attendant stepping forward to lead her up the stairs in order to show her to her room. After showing her to her room the poor attendant scurried off as soon as was deemed polite, but Eloise couldn't bring herself to feel guilty. She was livid.

Moments later there was a knock on the door. Assuming it was Kate, she answered, feeling guilty for just storming off and leaving her like that – she barely knew Charlotte or Brian. However, it wasn't Kate. Brian stood in the doorway, looking incredibly happy.

"You okay?"

All anger returned to her and seemed to double.

"Just what is it that you want?" she spat, shaking her head "Tell me. I'm bored of these bloody games."

He stared at her, taken aback.

"Babe, we went over this like what, a month ago? Two months ago? What Charlotte wants for you and me ain't my fau-"

"Oh, please," she laughed, shaking her head "That day you swapped one lie for another. What is it that you want, Brian? Or would you rather I referred to you as Mr Gates?"

Rage had clouded her judgement, but when those words left her lips there was no taking them back and she felt her blood run cold. His entire demeanor seemed to change at that, knowing the illusion had shattered. First his eyes widened in shock, but less than half a second later he adopted a business like stance, hands clasped in front of him, jaw clenched and an unflinching gaze.

"You know."

It wasn't a question so she said nothing.

"How long have you known?" his voice was incredibly calm, and he moved to sit on the edge of her bed, pulling out a pack of cigarettes.

"Charlotte's party," she sat in one of the armchairs facing the foot of the bed "I had you looked into."

"Clever girl," he muttered, looking her over appraisingly "Didn't expect that."

"I know. What is it you want, Brian? Money?"

"We don't need your money, sweetheart - your birthday present should've made that clear," he snorted, shaking his head "I don't even wanna fuckin' be here."

"Boss' orders, then?"

"Hmm," he nodded "We want you."

"Dead?" she asked slowly, biting her lip.

"If we wanted you dead, you would've been dead months ago. We want you as....well, as one of us, per se. A smart woman told me that if it came to it, I should just straight talk you about this."

"She is a smart woman then," she crossed one leg over the other and leaned back, pokerface in place "What do you mean 'one of us'?"

"Need you to marry me," he muttered through the cigarette between his lips.

"I'm sorry?" she laughed humourlessly "I must've misheard you."

"You didn't."

"Why? The monarchy has no control in England, or, well, anywhere anymore. When we make official speeches, the words we read aren't our own but the government's. If you want power that's your way in," she rolled her eyes – everybody knew this.

"We don't need your political power, what d'you think we're trying to do? Take over the world? We're a gang, sweetheart, not supervillains. Social power. England loves you and I mean, you have some kind of sway over shit. Not major shit, but you can have shit overlooked for us all whilst boosting our overall rep," he shrugged.

"And what exactly would be in it for me?"

"We wouldn't kill you."

"You don't want me dead, though," she tried to force any panic out of her voice "You said you were going to talk to me straight, so surely you believe some part of this would be appealing to me?"

He shrugged "You'd finally lose your virginity?"

She stared at him for nearly a minute before she realised he was dead serious. Then she began to laugh – hysterically.

"You think...You think I'm a virgin?" she could barely get the words out as she continued to laugh.

"You haven't had a long term relationship, well, ever," he was clearly disgruntled at her laughter "Who then? Elliot Sorenson?"

She continued to laugh, shaking her head before wiping tears away from her eyes "Try Rafael Cardona. Relationships aren't required for sex. You of all people should know that."

"Cardona? He's like what, twenty years older than you? Jesus Christ."

"He knows what he's doing," she rolled her eyes "And anyways, you're what, nearly ten years older than me? Pot calling the kettle black, no?"

"My, you really are different to what you present," he seemed impressed.

"I'm different to what you assumed," she countered.

"Alright, put it this way. You get power. Power and no more press speculation about your love life."

"Power?" she quirked an eyebrow.

"Don't think I missed the bitterness, princess," he nodded, leaning forward "You're pissed that you have no political power. Marry me and you gain a shitload."

"So, what, we have a marriage of convenience and use eachother?"

"Pretty much."

"What would this marriage entail?" she asked slowly, mulling over the idea – and whether she really had a choice.

"Act like the world's happiest couple when people can see – probably have to pop out a kid at some point, but that ain't vital. No trouble there, though, physical attraction ain't the problem here."

She nodded slowly, not even bothering to get flustered by his comment. It was pointless at this time.

"I'll think it over," she nodded eventually "But for now this needs to be a total honesty kind of deal, yes?"

"No problem," he nodded, standing "You comin' out?"

"I'll change and then I'll be down," she sighed "So you're not friends with Charlotte then?"

"Can't fuckin' stand her, sweets," he muttered before closing the door behind him.

Eloise laughed. She couldn't remember any other situation that had been as surreal as her current one. Kate came in not long after Brian left. At first she was wary, but then surprised and clearly relieved that Eloise's mood was no longer one of anger. Eloise didn't know how to feel. She was glad they'd been honest with eachother, finally. On the other hand...her situation was now even more perilous. He was going to be even more observant of her now that he knew she knew – it left little room for games or tricks.

Kate and Eloise changed into their bikinis, laughing and joking quietly with one another – Eloise may not have been happy with Charlotte but she refused to let it ruin the weekend. She plaited her hair in one braid down her back and threw on a partically see-through, loose black cover-up over her white bikini before they both made their way onto the lower deck to sunbathe.

Both Charlotte and Brian were there. Charlotte pointedly ignored both of them, clearly put out at having been shouted at in front of everybody – especially when social status wouldn't allow her to retaliate as severely as Eloise knew she'd like to. Brian had changed, too. Gone were his jeans and tank-top and in place were a simple pair of dark swimming trunks, exposing a well-toned torso and built biceps. Physical attraction was definitely not the issue. He caught her looking at him and smirked at her before sliding his aviators down his nose slightly so he could wink at her.

She gave a small laugh before shrugging off her cover-up, making a point of doing so incredibly slowly before turning and sauntering towards one of the deckchairs opposite him. When she looked back at him, he was staring openly. All of the pilates and cardio were worth the look on his face.

"Need help with suncream, princess?" he called with a sleazy smirk on his face.

"No, no, that's taken care of, thank you darling," she responded, her voice sugary sweet.

"What, so you guys are getting along and I'm still the villain?"

Charlotte's voice sent a spike of annoyance right through her.

"Yes."

"You know, you're being incredibly unfair, El!" her voice became whining and Eloise had to grit her teeth to hold back a groan.

She hadn't even been down for five minutes and Charlotte was trying to guilt trip her.

"Just where exactly are you going now?" Charlotte demanded as Eloise stood.

"Away from you," Eloise snapped, earning a look of amusement from Brian and a glare from Charlotte.

She grabbed the leg rope from the nearest surf board, stored in a corner – presumably Richard's - and hung her top half off of the edge of the yacht to attach it to one of the rungs of the ladder.

"What are you doing? You can't surf!" Charlotte's voice was becoming a lot higher and a lot more grating.

"Well it's a good thing I'm not going to try," she muttered, throwing the board into the water and jumping in after it.

The cool ocean water was a relief after being in the hot sun, and Eloise smiled once she surfaced. She pulled herself up, onto the board and lay down on her back, allowing the waves to rock and sooth her. Allowing her left leg to dangle in the water, she put her arms behind her head and gave a contented sigh.

"You know..." she nearly jumped at Brian's voice to her right as he sat at the edge of the deck, legs in the water "I don't think I've ever seen you be so genuine. Back then when you were shouting at her."

She laughed "You're one to talk about being genuine, Gates."

"I was genuine an hour ago," he watched her carefully.

"I know you were," she admitted softly "I'm still thinking about it."

"Good," he spoke simply, leaning back on his elbows.

She wasn't sure how much longer she'd been lying there, letting her thoughts drift. She briefly considering getting back onto the yacht and going to her room to read, but then she remembered Charlotte sitting on the deck a few feet away, probably glaring. That was all it took for her to decide to linger a bit longer, enjoying the sun and the rocking motion of the board.

"Did you feel that?" she frowned, looking towards Brian and frowning.

"Feel what?"

"Nothing, I think a fish just swam past my leg or-," she was cut off by the sudden feeling of impact from her right side – as thought she'd been tackled by the whole New Zealand rugby team, and then a crushing pressure unlike anything she'd ever felt before.

Everything that happened in that moment seemed to play out in slow motion. Brian's voice spoke to her, sounding more urgent than she'd ever heard him before.

"Eloise, whatever you do, don't let go of that fucking board."

But she wasn't looking at Brian. She was staring, wide eyed and frozen in horror, at the great white shark with it's teeth lodged firmly into her right thigh, hip and the surf board underneath. It's jaw easily encompassed her right leg from hip to knee in a vice like grip.

Eloise did the only thing she could think to do before she was propelled upwards and then dragged down. She screamed. Clinging to the edge of the surfboard as the water, which was quickly turning red, splashed around her and she resisted being dragged down, clinging to the surf board with all of her strength. All that was running through her head was a constant stream of "I'm going to die."

Still on her back with her arms behind her, clinging to the board, she desperately kicked out with her free leg, trying to avoid the jaws and aim for the snout all whilst struggling to breathe as the water splashed around her. The crushing feeling on her left only seemed to increase, and she knew that if not for the adrenaline coursing through her, she'd be in agony. Whenever she surfaced she would scream and whenever she was pulled back under she'd focus on trying to breath, all whilst still trying to kick as hard as she could with her left leg despite the awkward angle.

After what felt like hours, she felt it's grip on her loosen slightly. The second it did, the board underneath her practically shot off of the surface due to the it's buoyancy paired with the fact that it was no longer being dragged under. Immediately she grabbed the ladder of the yacht, kicking off of the board and into a pair of strong, tattooed arms which immediately dragged her as far away from the edge as possible.

She was in a daze as she stared at the helmsman and the one bodyguard they'd taken along, both shouting frantic orders into their phones, her gaze then turned to Charlotte who was staring right back at her, pale, wide-eyed and with her hand clamped over her mouth in horror. Numbly, she turned her gaze towards her leg and that was when her out of body experience of sorts came to a sharp end. All she could see was blood and torn flesh and she gave another scream before a towel was clamped down onto the wound and Brian snapped at Kate to hold it there and tightly.

"Don't look, Eloise, don't look," suddenly Brian's hands were at her head, forcing her to turn away and look at him instead.

She couldn't even form words, she just stared at him wide-eyed as he spoke to her.

"You're going to be okay, right? You're out of the water, we're gonna stop the bleeding and a helicopter's on the way to take you to hospital. You're probably goin' into shock right now – that's why you can't feel anything, that's good. Just focus on your breathing and whatever you do, stay awake – we don't know how much blood you've lost. Are you cold?"

She turned her head towards the ocean and gave a whimper at the trail of blood leading from the edge of the yacht to her. Her blood.

"Eloise!" he made her look away again and stared directly into her eyes "Are you cold?"

She nodded slowly, suddenly beginning to realise just how freezing she actually was. He went to let go of her to grab a blanket, but immediately her grip on his bicep and shoulder tightened. She hadn't even realised she'd been clinging onto him. He didn't comment on it, and instead accepted the blanket from the bodyguard and wrapped it around her tightly.

The relief she felt when she heard the noise of the helicopter arriving was overwhelming and she felt tears begin to run down her cheeks as a team of paramedics seemed to bombard her all at once, asking her questions and, when they quickly realised that she was hardly fit to respond, questioning Brian. A mask was pulled over her face and the last thing she remembered seeing was the surf board still floating in the ocean with a large, bite shaped chunk ripped out, covered in blood.
♠ ♠ ♠
...Looks like Eloise no longer has the nicest legs in Britain. How's that for a plot twist?

In a bid to try and get you guys to give me more reviews, I'm taking a new approach. People who review will get a message from me with a snippet of the next chapter in it.

I'm going to start updating this every Sunday because, well, that's basically what I've been doing anyways so I may as well make that official, plus it gives me time to write and send a paragraph or so to those who review, probably on Wednesdays or Thursdays.

Also, if any of you are interested I'm taking one-shot requests, so feel free!