Status: On hiatus whilst I focus on my education - apologies, guys :(

To Wed a Princess

Chapter Seven

“Cariño, you can't do this,” Rafael spoke urgently down the phone “You're an intelligent woman, god knows everybody knows that, but you're not cut out for this shit.”

“What do you mean?” she sighed tiredly, wedging her phone between her ear and shoulder as she shimmied into a pair of pyjama shorts.

“When it comes to people, you're either hot or cold. You adore them and you'll do anything for them, or you hate them and merely tolerate them. You can't start to blur the lines with this guy. He does this shit for a living, belleza. You can't like him and not trust him – eventually you'll crack. You need to be careful,” he urged.

“Such little faith in me, Rafi,” she murmured half heartedly “Wasn't it you who said not to piss him off? To find out what he wants and why? How am I supposed to do that if I don't talk to him? Lull him into a false sense of security so he gives me information?”

“You're underestimating him!” Rafael was the most worked up she'd ever heard him “All the time you're doing that to him, he'll be doing the exact same thing to you! He's a master at this game.”

She frowned, sitting down at the foot of her bed “You're underestimating me.”

“Did you have fun when you were with him? Did you ever forget who he was and just let go?”

She was silent and she heard him sigh.

“I'm not telling you what to do. I'd never do that, you know that. I'm worried,” he spoke quietly, almost grudgingly “Just...Be careful, Eloise. I don't know what he has planned for you, but it won't be good.”

“What do you suggest I do?” she ran a hand through her hair.

“Avoid him. Be nice if you run into him, which I'm sure he'll make sure of, but don't go out of your way to be around him.”

“Thank you, Rafael,” she spoke quietly.

“Any time, mi reina, any time,” the line went dead.


Eloise was brought crashing back down to reality with one strong yank to her hair, thanks to her nephew.

“Cheeky,” she laughed down at him, gently prodding at him to make him laugh.

“You're very distracted lately, El,” her oldest brother spoke, frowning slightly “Are you all right?”

“No, I'm half left,” she teased childishly.

William merely rolled his eyes good naturedly and then watched her expectantly for a real answer.

“I'm fine, Will,” she shrugged, tickling the one year old in front of her with strands of her hair whilst he squealed in delight “Just...tired.”

“Harry told me you fell out with Charlotte.”

“Do you two just get together and discuss me? I mean, I know I'm your favourite sibling and all,” she stood up and sat down on the couch next to her brother, leaving her nephew to his toys.

“I've never liked her,” he said simply, handing her a cup of tea.

“You always made that clear,” she admitted “She's good company when-”

“Yes, exactly,” he interrupted her “It's always conditional. She's not just good company all the time, she's good company...sometimes.”

“Isn't that what friendship is? Tolerating the bad for the good?”

“Not when the good is only perhaps ten percent of the time,” he groaned at her “Just because you've been friends, and I use the term lightly, doesn't mean you need to always be friends. People change, and not always for the better.”

“I know, I know,” she murmured “I just...Well, I hardly see anyone else do I?”

“Kate's always wanted to spend more time with you,” he admitted softly “She's just not sure as to how to approach the matter.”

“Really?” she stared at her brother, dumbfounded.

She'd always gotten along well with her sister-in-law. They'd laugh with each other at family functions and she'd always considered her to be a good acquaintance – she'd just never realised that she was interested in being friends.

“Well you're not exactly the least intimidating person, El,” he teased “Always striving to be perfect at everything. Although she did feel silly admitting she was a little bit afraid of a woman over ten years younger than her.”

She bit her lip and leaned back, cradling her tea cup in her hands. Making a mental note to be especially friendly to her sister-in-law next time she saw her, she took a sip before William started talking again.

“Of course, Harry and I have missed you too...and dad...and Gran and Grandad....”

“I know, I know, I'm a horrible relative to have,” she sighed, shaking her head “I've just...been stressed out.”

“You're not a horrible relative. Just a young one,” he ruffled her hair and she groaned.

“Nice Will, very classy,” she laughed, running a hand through her hair to get it out of her eyes.

“As second in line to the throne, I have to be!” he retorted simply, leaning down to pick up his son.

“I hope the throne hurts your arse,” she mumbled sourly.

~~~


She ended up deciding to stay with her brother and his family at Kensington Palace that night, partially due to the fact that she didn't fancy returning to an empty penthouse and also because she really did miss spending time with her family.

At around eight o'clock, she changed into a pair of Kate's pyjamas (her brother insisted she wouldn't mind) and left Will to put his son to bed. In a pair of borrowed slippers, she padded into one of the lounges, where she knew they kept a piano, hoping it would be in tune. It was, and so she spent a good half hour playing pieces from Swan Lake. After travelling so extensively with no instruments, her time with Brian, no, Gates, had reminded her of how much she loved to play. It was only when she stopped that she heard somebody clapping in the doorway behind her.

Jumping, she span around awkwardly on the stool to see Kate standing sheepishly in the doorway. Remembering her earlier promise to both herself and her brother, she smiled.

“Sorry, you gave me a fright. Was I being too loud?”

“No, no, it's my fault,” she shook her head “Just Will told me you were here and I heard you playing...You're spectacular.”

“Thank you,” she gave a slightly embarrassed laugh, looking down at the borrowed pyjamas “I hope you don't mind...I wasn't intending to stay.”

“No, no, not at all!” Kate came further into the room and Eloise stood, noticing that she was in pyjamas too “It's quite cute that we match, I suppose?”

“Thank you, again,” Eloise gave her another smile, not quite sure what to say and feeling guilty as to the fact that she really knew her brother's wife so little.

She'd been a bridesmaid at the Royal Wedding – after assuring Kate that she didn't mind her own sister being Maid of Honor. Perhaps that's where she'd gone wrong? Maybe Kate mistook her attempt at kindness as disinterest in the whole affair? Or maybe she thought she'd offended her?

“I suppose you'll want to be left alone,” Kate bit her lip, shifting her weight from one foot to the other and Eloise wondered what she'd done to ever make the woman feel so awkward around her “I was just coming to say hello. I've had the White Room set up for you, it's gorgeous...then again, I suppose you already know that, you've been here more than me.”

“Actually,” Eloise broke into Kate's slightly nervous laughter “I was wondering if you want to watch a film? I understand if your tired, of course...Just I realised we haven't really spent much time together.”

Kate's nerves seemed to visibly lessen, as her body language became less tense and her smile became less unsure “I'd love that.”

With that, they left the room together and Eloise couldn't help hoping they would become fast friends.
♠ ♠ ♠
Short, but considering I last updated yesterday, not too bad at all. I just have a quick question for you guys:

Is there anything you'd like to see more of in this story? More interactions between Eloise and her family (as I'm trying to do here)? Anything at all? If there is something please let me know - it could prove to be inspirational!

Eloise & Kate's pyjamas.

What I imagined Eloise to be playing.