Status: On hiatus whilst I focus on my education - apologies, guys :(

To Wed a Princess

Chapter Eight

“Progress!” Matt's voice was pleased and Brian smirked.

“Told you I'd get it done,” he muttered “Friend of hers did more harm than good, but I think I've gotten past that. She's actually not too bad.”

“Glad to hear it, you'll be spending a lot of time with her,” his friend and boss snorted “What's your next move?”

“She has some charity do tonight, I managed to get in,” he sighed, running a hand over his face “After that it's her birthday thing, which she invited me to herself.”

“Are you gonna see her at this thing tonight?”

“Under normal circumstances...no. I have a plan though,” he wedged the phone between his ear and shoulder as he tried to tie his bow tie “Hey man, what's the budget for this, anyway?”

“This is priority, no budget. Why?”

“It's her birthday comin' up and I have a plan.”

“Hey, Brian?” Matt's voice lost it's business like edge and Brian knew they were now speaking as friends and not colleagues.

“Yeah man, what's up?”

“Effy's getting out.”

“Oh, shit, man!” Brian grinned “That's fucking awesome! I mean, shit, I thought she had another two years left?”

“Guy who wouldn't accept the bribes had a little, uh, accident. His replacement was smarter,” the grimness momentarily returned to his voice “She was in there for five years, Syn.”

“She knows it wasn't your fault. We were nobodies when she got put away. Nothing could be done 'til now,” Brian frowned, the whole thing still left a bad taste in his mouth.

“I guess.”

“...Does V know?”

“No,” Matt's blunt answer gave away his feelings on the issue.

“Well I don't envy the poor bastard. When's she out? When can I see her?”

“A week from now. Get the princess on a date with you and I won't give you shit for coming back for her homecoming party. Don't think she'd forgive either of us if you weren't there.”


If there was one thing the press loved, it was a show of unity in the Royal family – especially amongst the women. This was why, when Eloise and Kate arrived at the theatre for the charity even, arm in arm, they were practically blinded by the flashing lights of the cameras. William and Harry followed behind them, the older generations of the family already inside and seated.

Eloise's hopes had come true – she and Kate had indeed become fast friends. She didn't know whether it was because she had no alterior motives or because she was quite a few years older than her, but Eloise found her sister-in-law incredibly easy to talk to and even somewhat wise – which said a lot because other than Cardona, Eloise struggled to accept advice from many people who weren't family by blood.

Their outfits for the evening seemed almost co-ordinated, something she was sure magazines the next day would insist was planned. Eloise was like the summer to Kate's winter – although the blonde silently speculated that personality wise she was more likely to be winter than the brunette. She wore a strapless cream gown with golden leaf detailing on the bodice, her jewellery taking the form of gold leaves to match and her eye make-up matching the tones well. Her hair was in an elaborate updo, held in place by yet another golden leaf designed hairband, although that was more for the practicality that would be needed when she performed later in the evening. Kate, however, wore white gold and silver where Eloise wore gold and her gown mimicked the colour of ice, sparkling from head to toe.

Eloise glanced towards the entrance of the theatre and then froze when she saw who was standing there. Of course Brian would be here. He was everywhere at this point. Keeping Cardona's advice in mind, she surrounded herself with her family and did her best not to make any kind of eye contact with the American as she made her way in.

~~~


“Come on, come on, come on,” Eloise groaned, pressing redial for the fourth time.

“What's wrong?” Kate frowned, placing a hand on her forearm.

“Richard isn't answering,” she frowned, resisting the urge to run a hand through her perfectly styled hair “They're saying he hasn't even turned up today. I can't go on and play without him accompanying me on the piano! One violin by itself just sounds...wrong. Oh for christ's sake, I'm on in fifteen minutes, this can't be happening.”

“Can't the orchestra accompany you?”

“I haven't practised with them,” she shook her head, trying to calm down “There's nobody here that I've played with be...”

Her sister-in-law stared as she trailed off and Eloise's eyes widened. She then said the one thing she thought she never would.

“I need to find Brian Haner.”

After informing numerous staff and security, Brian was in front of her within five minutes.

“Princess,” he greeted her and she allowed him to kiss her cheek and gave him her best smile, knowing she couldn't afford to piss him off if she wanted a favour.

“I...have a huge request,” she began sheepishly, all plans of brushing him off and being aloof out of the window.

“Anything for a beautiful lady,” he shrugged, leaning against the wall behind him “What's up?”

“I'm meant to be performing tonight,” she explained “Only the man who's meant to be accompanying me on piano hasn't turned up.”

“I can't play piano,” Brian quirked an eyebrow at her.

“I know, I know...but you can play guitar,” she sighed, giving up the subtle approach “Look, you would be doing me a huge favour. Please. We'll go on, play Por Una Cabeza and go off again.”

“Favour?” Brian's eyes flashed and her heart sank.

“Okay, you want something from me, clearly, and I want something from you. This can work. What is it you want?” Eloise felt relief fill her chest.

“One date.”

With that the relief was gone.

“Are you serious? After everything about giving you a chance you're using this situation to get a date from me?” she stared at him disbelievingly.

“Give me a chance and go on a date with me,” he gave her a crooked smile.

She glanced at the host who signalled that she had around thirty seconds to make her decision, and then at the fully tuned guitar beside him.

“When and where?” she asked through gritted teeth.

“Saturday night. Either my place or yours. Something casual.”

“Mine. Deal?” she held out her hand.

“Deal,” he kissed the back of her hand with a smirk “Showtime.”

The audience applauded when they hit the stage, but she noticed the murmuring and the way the cameras seemed to zoom in on Brian before going to her. She gave the crowd one of her best smiles and lifted the violin.

To say it went well would be an understatement. Brian seemed to have a natural stage presence. It had a sort of teasing arrogance to it which she fed off of, becoming far less rigid than she normally would have been had she been on stage alone. She even let loose a quiet laugh when he shot her a wink across the stage or wriggled his eyebrows at her, but she put that down to the adrenaline coursing through her veins.

When the performance ended she took Brian's hand, as was polite, and curtseyed whilst he bowed. He then turned to her and kissed her hand, giving her another wink whilst he did so. This drove the crowd – and the press- wild. Immediately she knew it would be in magazines from weeks to come and she knew she would have to make the best of it. She rolled her eyes and gave him a playful shove, no way was she letting him have the upper hand in this situation by playing the shocked innocent little virgin. She couldn't even bring herself to be too annoyed at him – the adrenaline coursing through her making her see the humour in the situation.

“That was amazing,” she grinned once they were off stage, handing her violin to one of the techs.

“It was,” he agreed, doing the same with the guitar “You have quite a stage presence. I'm surprised.”

“I'll take that as a compliment,” she rolled her eyes “But I have to admit, so do you. Your arrogance suits you on a stage.”

“I know,” he smirked and gave a small laugh “Glad I could be helpful.”

“Come on,” she sighed, gesturing for him to follow “Every performer gets to meet my family. It's only fair.”

Words couldn't describe how much she was hoping they would despise him – at this point she needed all the help she could get in avoiding him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Eloise & Kate

I'm planning on turning this story into a series. By that I mean writing a series of fics set in this universe but focusing on different members - which is where Effy, mentioned at the start, comes in. My dear little Effy is going to be the main character in an upcoming Zacky Vengeance fic that I've already written the first chapter of. It'll be a kind of partner piece to this - so Effy will meet Eloise at some point etc. etc.

I also have the beginning plans of Matt and Johnny's fics lined up too...although they might just end up being one-shots - or ten chapters at most. I think this will be the longest.

The first chapter of that will go up after the next chapter of this, to fit in with the timeline, but for now you can find the summary etc. here!