Just a House?

Grace

"We have gathered here today under unfortunate, tragic circumstances. Anna Wade was an inspiration to this town." A stubby man with ash colored hair spoke. He held his hands together in front of his bulging button down shirt while entwining his fingers as he spoke. His voice carried through the room, hushing the mumbling busybodies. A new rumor must’ve circulated today; they seem to spread like wildfire in this town. His black suit offset by his white collar led Mrs. Jones, Anna's mother, to believe he was the presiding minister for the funeral services, but she couldn’t be sure.

"Anna's untimely death has left this town shocked. She lived in our beautiful little town for a short while; she was with us for just one year. She used to bring homemade treats to the children in the park every Friday afternoon. Wasn't she planning to start a book club in the library on Tuesday mornings?" More than a few of the women spoke a soft amen.

"Anna Wade was a treasure to our church. She was here every Sunday, and if we called upon her she always agreed to help." The chorused ‘amens’ grew louder. A tear rolled down Mrs. Jones' pale cheek.

“Would anyone care to share anything about Anna today?”

Mrs. Jones black dress swept the floor as she stood. She pulled the black veil attached to her funeral hat out of her face before she looked at the people her daughter had come to know as friends. “Anna was my baby.” Her eyes began to water. “She was so young and full of life. I should’ve listened to her more.” A soft sob left her lips. The woman sitting next to her patted her hand gently. “I would give anything to be able to take her home and laugh the way we used to.” She sat down and wiped her eyes.

A man in a sleek, dark red button down shirt and black slacks stood up. The little girl wearing a ruffled dark navy dress in the pew next to him clung to his hand. “Anna was my whole world,” he slicked his hair back with his free hand and stole a glance at the little girl as he spoke. “We got married a few years ago. I thought I’d get to spend more time with her; she was my angel.” His face was frigid while his voice dipped in sadness. “I’ll never find another like her.” He sat down patting the little girl’s dark hair as she hugged him. Mrs. Jones tried hard to hide her glare. He returned her disdainful look as he pulled the little girl close as small tears streaked her cheeks.

“May this tragic end to a young life remind us all that we don’t have a lot of time. I hope each of you are right with our Lord and Savior. Join me in a moment of silence.” The minister lowered his head and brought his hands to the top of the bulge in his shirt.

All remained quiet for what seemed like a lifetime before the minister began a soft prayer. “Father, we thank you for allowing us all to be here today. We pray you receive Anna in your choir of Angels. She is in a better place with you, Lord. Please, fill the hearts of those who are lost here today and help them come into your light. In Jesus’ name, we pray, Amen.” A chorus of ‘amen’ filled the room.

“Come join us in giving our condolences to the family in our commons area, and hopefully we'll see you tomorrow at the burial services.” The crowd of people rose as they headed into the back room. Mrs. Jones placed a hand on her daughter’s closed casket as another soft sob left her lips. There was nothing left except Grace…
♠ ♠ ♠
So I edited this for like the 100th time. And I'm re-posting it for you guys before I start posting all of the chapters... I'll probably edit them too, so if they seem a little different you'll know why :).