‹ Prequel: Hollow Scars
Status: Updated Fridays

Across the Universe

The Fool on the Hill

Colonel James Rhodes had been having a fairly normal Saturday and he was perfectly fine with that. He’d been in Manhattan on military business and had spent the second to last night of his stay in the big city in a sports bar near Madison Square Garden where he’d shared a few drinks with a few of his buddies who lived in the area. Something curious, however, had caught his eye on one of the few televisions in the bar that hadn’t been focusing on the football games since the season was in its prime.

There, on the screen, was Tony Stark, out on the town and without the woman he’d, only three months ago, helped out of a Russian prison. No, instead, he had a beautiful, but plastic looking, woman on each arm. James couldn’t help but be reminded of several years ago when he’d been at an award ceremony with Tony in Las Vegas. James had thought that would be the last time he’d see Tony in such fine form considering the change that had come over his best friend in the last year or so. But there he was, eating up the attention in front of the cameras and signing autographs for every woman who would let him near them, which were numerous.

His friends had noticed and talked briefly about how it was good to see Tony Stark back in his so-called element and how this mystery girlfriend must have bored him. Most of the population seemed to think settling down was impossible for the billionaire. They shared a good laugh but Rhodey couldn’t join in the joke. That time in his best friend’s life had been, to say the least, destructive. When he’d met Tony Stark at MIT he’d been surprised by his intelligence but also by what a good guy he’d been. Of course, he’d always been a media darling and had always been somewhat self consumed. But it hadn’t been until he’d discovered alcohol at an early age that he’d really become what the media had portrayed him as over the last ten years. The ultimate playboy; that was what men and women viewed him as. The man women, and on several occasions men, wanted to be with and that men wanted to be.

Tony hadn’t been that man until he’d believed his own hype. Eventually he’d grown so lost and emotionally stifled that he’d become exactly what the media had portrayed him to be. He knew it was something Tony would never admit, because Tony was a far more complex human being than he was given credit for, but Rhodey had seen the transformation take place before his eyes. It was why he had followed Tony to hell and back and when he’d gone missing had been the only one not to give up on his survival. No matter what asinine things Tony Stark did, he was James Rhodes’ best friend.

They didn’t talk about that very often, how Rhodey had scoured the desert for weeks searching for Tony until he’d at last found him, half dead. He knew his best friend would prevail in any situation, against all odds. As much of a privileged little spoiled brat Tony was, he was also as brilliant, if not more so, than people thought he was. When it came down to his own survival he knew Tony would find a way. Tony had always found a way, no matter how bad things had gotten. No matter how deep the pile of sludge Tony had buried himself beneath he had never managed to drown in it.

If Tony was out on the town trying to forget his troubles and without Scarlett then something very bad had happened. Rhodey got up from the bar where he’d been sitting, ignoring the questions he’d been asked about the very same subject. He patted his friends on the back and told them not to believe everything they see on television since it was often not what it seemed. Then he left some money on the bar and excused himself, ignoring their objections from his friends and questions as to why.

Rhodey picked up his cell phone and called Tony’s number but was immediately sent to voicemail. When he called the house Jarvis didn’t even pick up. What had happened to make Tony suddenly revert to the shell of a man he’d been years prior? Heading back inside the bar, Rhodey walked over to the corner where a pair of young women were talking over a few cocktails. Politely he asked if they knew how to get to the club that he’d seen Tony heading into and they gave him directions, one of them smiling at him rather flirtatiously. James Rhodes was a handsome man to say the least, with his dark skin, dark eyes, and a smile that could kill the most stubborn of women.

After denying their invitation to join them he left the bar and hailed a cab. It wasn’t as hard to find the club as he had expected it to be. Manhattan was a city filled with nightlife, he had expected there to be hundreds of clubs and bars that looked similar to the one he’d seen. As he approached, however, he knew there was only one of these placed where he’d find Tony Stark. There was a line a mile long outside of its doors of people waiting to get in. Tony had always drawn a crowd wherever he’d gone. People just wanted to be with him. He always had a way of making people feel important even if they very well weren’t. The air around Tony Stark had always been infectious and exciting, even when he was sober and doing well.

It took him twenty minutes for Rhodey to get inside the club after arguing with the bouncer before he finally pulled rank and flashed his military ID. Even then he’d only been able to actually get past the door when he’d been approved by Tony Stark himself who had said to “let the bastard in”. The crowd waiting outside didn’t find this at all amusing.

The music within the club was so loud Rhodey could barely hear himself think. He was all for a good party but he really didn’t mind the sound of his own thoughts so much as these people seemed to. Tony, however, was notorious for trying to get his brain to shut up, whether it was with loud music, women, alcohol, or any number of other odd external stimuli Rhodey had caught him using. James Rhodes was an exceptionally smart and skilled man but Tony Stark’s level of genius was something Rhodey hadn’t realized existed until he’d met Tony in the first place.

To find Tony Stark Rhodey had already devised quite a few effective methods. The first was to follow the crowd. Tony was always surrounded by a crowd in these places. That was half the point of going to them. Unfortunately, the club was so packed that no matter where Rhodey turned there was a crowd. When that method didn’t work, Rhodey went where the most money could be spent. That would be the bar. Unfortunately Tony was nowhere to be found and the bar was so packed he couldn’t get a word in edgewise to the bartenders so he could ask if anyone had seen him. Besides, how many people would have already asked that question?

Instead Rhodey wandered and discovered that there was a lounge on the second floor of the club, which surprised him since he hadn’t expected there to be a second floor in the first place. A bouncer stood on either end of the stairs, scrutinizing those who went in and out. Very pretty women were given the earliest opportunity and much to his surprise, Rhodey was approved as well. Up the stairs Rhodey went and before he even entered the lounge he knew that was where he would find Tony. He could hear his cocky voice even over the blare of music from the floor below.

The billionaire was telling a story, a story about him in college.

“I flew us to Vegas to celebrate for his 21st birthday, of course he was blindfolded. What kind of surprise party would it be if he wasn’t?” The crowd laughed even though Rhodey didn’t think Tony was very funny at all for the moment. “Oh, speak of the devil, here’s the birthday boy now.”

“Tony.” Rhodey nodded his head in greeting, giving the look his friend knew all too well. Tony looked up at him from his modern leather seat, holding his half empty glass of scotch before taking another sip. Several people tried to greet Rhodey but James was fully focused on his friend and merely smiled.

“Oh, don’t look at me like that Rhodes.” Tony pinched the bridge of his nose and scrunched up his forehead before looking back up at Rhodey. His head was swimming and he was feeling higher than a kite, higher than he’d felt in a long time. It wasn’t that he wasn’t aware of the hard crash that he would be met with after his head cleared but rather that he didn’t care. Instant gratification was the name of the game and Tony was always the winner.

“I’m not looking at you like anything.” Rhodey shook his head but smiled just enough to let Tony see that he knew exactly what look he was giving him. “We’ve been through this. This is just my face.”

“Anyway, as I was saying…” Tony sat up straight and then took a sip from his glass and pointed one of the fingers that held it away from him in no specific direction though it aimed at a beautiful young woman across from him who he smiled at before continuing. “When we finally took off his blindfold we were at this strip club and I think Rhodey about lost it. Beautiful girls, like he’d never seen before. I mean, I’d seen them before, but look at him. I wanted to throw him a bone.” Tony reached to smack Rhodey playfully but missed by a mile. He turned his attention back to the woman he’d accidentally pointed at. “That necklace, where did you get it?” She was flustered and stuttered, having seemingly forgotten she was wearing a necklace at all.

“I don’t even remember, my grandma gave it to me…”

“Never mind, can’t very well make up precious heirlooms to give…” Tony narrowed his eyes at the woman and took her in again and a smile spread over his lips in approval. “Do you want a drink? I could buy you a drink. Let me guess. Vodka Martini? Two olives?”

“Actually, I prefer…”

“Barkeep, we need more drinks.” Tony turned in his chair to look toward the bar where a man was already pouring drinks to refill those that had been given to the crowd surrounding Tony Stark.

“Can I speak to you, Tony?” Rhodey finally interrupted, tired of Tony’s rambling. It was obvious his friend was drunk. That meant Tony had a lot of alcohol in his system considering his tolerance over the years had grown quite high. The worst thing about Tony when he was drunk was that he could still talk circles around anyone and sound sober but Rhodey knew it when he saw it. He’d been friends long enough with the billionaire that he’d be able to tell even blind.

“Uh oh, am I in trouble?” Tony made a face at the crowd behind him who laughed even though, again, Rhodey didn’t find anything funny. He was sure he’d be a real hit with the crowd too if he offered to buy them all drinks. “Oh, I am in trouble. Give me a minute, I’ll be right back, don’t you worry. Especially you.” Tony pointed at another one of the women seated at a nearby table. She had long curly hair and for a moment he stopped in his tracks. Where had he left Scarlett? Hadn’t she come with him? Wasn’t she supposed to be by his side telling him why his jokes were bad and replacing them with her own? He shook his head and blinked twice but only saw the curly haired woman in the mini dress in front of him. It was a nice dress. Tony wondered if she’d be offended if he asked her where she got it.

Slowly he got up from his seat and though he was woozy and the room spun for a few seconds he managed to keep his balance and the smile on his face. Tony was a master of faking that he was sober until he absolutely couldn’t anymore. Unfortunately once he hit that fine line of too drunk he was falling all over himself like an idiot. Thankfully, that moment had not yet come but he was close. In fact, that was his goal. Tony wanted to drink until he couldn’t think at all, until he couldn’t over think anymore. Until he finally slept.

Rhodey offered Tony an arm to steady him because unlike those who had gone back to their stories and their drinks, he had noticed Tony falter.

“DJ, give me a beat. No Sabbath, not tonight!” Tony waved his hand and at once from the back corner of the lounge music started up, an unrecognizable bass beat overshadowed by the grinding of some techno noise. Even Tony winced. “Dub step. I don’t get it.” Tony looked to Rhodey like he would know or care what he was talking about. “Come on, sit down Rhodes, drink with me.”

“I think you have more than enough drinking buddies, Tony.” Rhodey was hoping to lead Tony somewhere private but that was not what Tony had in mind. Artfully, especially for an inebriated person, Tony snuck out of his grip and toward the bar where he leaned against it on his elbows.

“I need… not scotch… no, not rum either…” Tony peered over the bar. Everything made him think of Scarlett. It was like a bad headache! Why did she have to like all of his favorite drinks? “Bourbon. Yeah, bourbon. She doesn’t drink bourbon.” Tony hadn’t ever asked if she’d liked bourbon before but it didn’t matter. She didn’t ever mention it and neither had he so he could drink it. His thoughts spiraled downward from there. What else hadn’t they mentioned? She hadn’t even told him he’d missed her birthday! Tony pinched his nose again and pushed the thoughts from his mind. “He’ll have a vodka tonic.” He pointed to Rhodey who tapped the bar instantly.

“I’ll have whatever’s on tap. Don’t listen to him. Give him water.”

“I’m paying you, I’m drinking bourbon.” Tony ignored Rhodey’s attempts to sober him up but the bartender understood what his friend was doing. Next to the bourbon, he placed a glass of water in front of Tony Stark as any decent bartender would do. Rhodey made a mental note to leave the man a good tip for helping him out. “Go ahead.” Tony turned in his chair with his glass of bourbon in hand. Rhodey figured they were as alone as they were going to get that night.

“What the hell are you doing, man?” Rhodey finally came out with it, looking around at the neon lights of the club disapprovingly.

“I’m drinking.” Tony gave Rhodey a look that clearly said he was worried his mental faculties were going.

“I swear I’m having flashbacks from five years ago.” Rhodey shook his head and took a swig of his beer. Tony was driving him to drinking! It really was like five years ago. “You knew what I meant.”

“I’m having a good time, that’s what I’m doing. Is that such a bad thing?”

“If you’re having such a good time then why do you look like hell?” Rhodey argued.

“Are you getting your reflection confused with mine? I’m wearing a three thousand dollar suit, I look sharp as hell.” Tony scoffed but knew it was the truth. The bags under his eyes were bigger than ever. Even his face didn’t seem the same, it seemed worn and weary. But he’d ignored it as he got ready and manicured his goatee.

“Tony if something’s going on…”

“You know what’s going on? You’re harshing my buzz is what’s going on.”

“Where’s Scarlett in all this fun, then?” Rhodey snapped. He’d met the woman on several occasions now and had grown to approve of her and thought she was even good for Tony. But now he was worried about what Tony was throwing away. Were things getting too serious for him between them and Tony had freaked out? Had Scarlett left because he’d done something stupid? He’d seen the news the night before about what had happened in the Hamptons and wondered if that had something to do with it. For a brief moment he had worried that Scarlett had set the fire and caused the chaos that had taken place. After all, she was an assassin for years from what Tony had told him.

“She’s working.” Tony practically spat the words then took a drink of his bourbon and corrected his demeanor and replaced the smile on his face.

“If this is about last night, you’ve got to talk to me, man.”

“There’s nothing to talk about.”

“Really? Because that’s not what everyone else is saying.”

“You know that place was where my dad used to take us every summer?” Tony spoke over Rhodey and slammed his glass down on the bar so loud that the room went silent for just a moment before chatter continued. “I hated it. Damn terrible dinner theater and half decent food. I didn’t understand it. But you know what, it became tradition.”

“I didn’t know that.”

“Now it’s gone.” Tony hadn’t realized that had upset him the way it did. His memories of his parents were few and fleeting and good ones were even rarer. Would his enemies erase them all one day and leave him with nothing but his regrets? Or even worse, the sound of his own thoughts? His thoughts had a tendency to betray him when he was left alone with them so what good were they? Then if Scarlett’s enemies were going to contribute to his loss, what would he be left with?

He’d be left with Scarlett.

Tony took another long drink. He couldn’t decide if that was enough.

“I’m sorry, Tony.” Rhodey softened just enough. “Look, why don’t we…”

“Hey DJ!” Tony shouted over Rhodey, not wanting his sympathy. He wasn’t the sentimental type and was even less in the mood for his friend’s pity. “Turn that up, that’s my jam.” The gritty guitar of Jimmy Paige blared over the speakers. “The way you called me another guy’s name when I tried to make love to you,” Tony played air guitar for a moment with the music of Led Zeppelin’s Heartbreaker racing over the speakers while singing off key. Some people in the lounge jammed along with him but Rhodey just shook his head.

“Come on, you’ve had enough. We can go back to the tower and get a few drinks there. Stick in those terrible National Lampoon movies you love so much.” Rhodey pulled out his wallet to pay for his drink but was promptly ignored by Tony. The look on his friend’s face told him that it wasn’t that he was ignoring him but that he no longer heard him.

“Scarlett loves this damn song. She loves Zeppelin.” Tony smiled stupidly for a moment and then scowled. For someone he was trying to forget he sure couldn’t get her out of his head. “You know, this is about trust, Rhodey.”

“What, she doesn’t trust you? Does that surprise you?” Rhodey scoffed and wasn’t surprised himself by the notion at all. He was growing irritated with Tony’s behavior. If his friend wanted to go into a downward spiral he wasn’t sure he could watch it happen. He’d stick around nearby in case anything got out of hand but he wouldn’t sit there and watch it helpless as he’d done many times in the past. If Tony wanted to get wrecked, he was going to no matter what Rhodey did. Tony’s gaze had turned to a pair of women who had made their way up into the lounge and were giggling with each other. They caught Tony’s gaze and waved at him flirtatiously.

“Twins.” Tony pointed them out and smacked his friend on the back with a laugh.

“I can’t imagine why she doesn’t trust you.”

“No, no you’re wrong.” Tony turned seriously back to the bar and for a moment he looked like himself. Rhodey could see the real man behind his drunk mask for half a second. “She does trust me.” Rhodey stayed silent and wondered what that meant. If it was about trust then what did he mean? Did he mean that he didn’t trust Scarlett? “Isn’t that screwed up? She trusts me. Me! And she knows all sorts of bad things about me too.”

“A little, actually. Yeah.” Rhodey blinked the shocked expression off of his face. Tony shoved him in annoyance and then tapped his drink in front of the bartender, asking for a refill. When had he finished the bourbon? That was fast. He didn’t remember drinking it. Maybe Rhodey had dumped it when he wasn’t looking.

“I bet if we asked some of those girls they’d come up and dance on this bar for us. You’d be surprised how easy it is.”

“Tony, I don’t want some women dancing on a bar for me. I’ve got a girl back home waiting for me. So do you.”

“I told you, she’s working.”

“Is that what this is about? Her working? What the hell kind of work is she doing? Should I be worried?”

“You know what your problem is Rhodey?”

“What, that I don’t know how to loosen up and have fun? You’ve told me that about ten thousand times. I told you, Tony, years ago. I like to have fun, I just like to remember it the next day.”

“No, you’re a fucking nosy busy body.” Tony spoke low under his breath. “Sticking your nose in where it doesn’t belong. If I want to drink I’m going to drink and it’s none of your goddamn business why!”

Rhodey’s face fell and his brow heightened. Tony had never snapped at him like that before.

“I think you’ve definitely had enough Tony.”
“I’m not a child.” Tony shoved Rhodey’s comforting arm away from him and then nearly stumbled off of his chair. Rhodey scoffed and got up from the bar. He pulled a few dollars out of his wallet and tossed it on the counter.

“If you want to throw away everything you’ve worked for since you got back from Afghanistan then fine. I’m not going to watch you do it.” Rhodey turned away from Tony and walked toward the stairs.

“Fine, I didn’t want you here anyway! Who invited you?” Tony shouted after him, hoping that Rhodey would turn around again. He didn’t want Rhodey to leave. He didn’t want to be alone. “All you do is bring me down!”

“You know what Tony?” Rhodey turned around to face him again. “You’re running scared from something. You have friends, you’re not alone anymore! Stop acting like you’re this big martyr. You have Pepper, you have Scarlett, you have me. Instead you turn to the bottle and do this stupid shit. You’re not twenty five anymore, grow up.”

“Haven’t you heard, Rhodey?” Tony stood defiantly, managing somehow to keep his balance. “This is what people expect me to be.” The friends stared at each other for a long time. Rhodey didn’t know what was going on in Tony’s mind, he was practically impossible to read half the time. He couldn’t care, not now. No matter what Rhodey said Tony was going to do what he wanted to do. Rhodey knew better than most that Tony could very rarely be stopped in the middle of a downward spiral.

“If you don’t get your shit together, she’s going to leave you in the dust. Then what’ll you have, Tony?” Rhodey reasoned, but wasn’t going to stick around for another minute to fight with someone who wouldn’t even remember his words in the morning. Tony couldn’t find an answer. For a long time money had been of value to him but after he’d returned from Afghanistan those things had been less fulfilling and more depressing. Sure, he was a genius with a lucrative company, practically a celebrity by his own right, but he couldn’t seem to find any real value in any of those things, not anymore. “That’s what I thought.” Without another word Rhodey disappeared down the stairs, leaving Tony staring.

“Rhodey wait.” Tony spoke too late and then started down the stairs in hopes of finding his friend. Was Rhodey right? Unfortunately the crowd was too thick. It was going to be far too hard to find his friend underneath the flashing lights and pounding bass that was blaring and making his head hurt. He pushed his way through the crowd of people dancing to the bar on the first floor that was more than crowded, it was swamped. Several people waved to him and he waved back and automatically flashed a charming smile. Pictures were taken and he couldn’t tell if they were flash bulbs or if they were strobe lights bouncing to the music.

The lights flashed in his vision and blinded him but also made him laugh as they danced in front of his eyes. He found a seat at the bar, or it was offered up by someone else, he couldn’t remember, and yelled to the bartender who told him to quiet down a little bit. What he ordered, he wasn’t even sure, his mind was in such a fog. The liquid was clear and warm as he drank it.

“That was rude of your friend to just leave you here all alone.” A woman’s voice spoke on the left side of him. For a fleeting moment he thought Scarlett had come to join him and smiled but his face fell when he saw a woman with short blond hair standing next to him. She was dressed to the nines in clubbing gear, vinyl dress, leather boots, makeup that would make even the drag queens down the hall gasp in surprise.

“He’s a buzz kill.” Tony managed to speak. In his head he wasn’t sure how well off he sounded but to the woman next to him he sounded just about right. Where had he seen her before? Had they met? Was she upstairs in the lounge? He couldn’t remember. Tony was terrible with remembering women in the first place. “We haven’t…” He gestured between them and the woman giggled but then a second voice joined her on the other side of him. He saw the second woman looking remarkably similar to the other but with longer hair. Tightly he blinked his eyes shut and then opened them again but both women were still standing there. “How much have I had to drink?”

“I’m Ashley, this is my twin sister Veronica.” The woman on the right of him batted her eyelashes and the woman on his left giggled knowingly. “We’ve never met you before.”

“What an honor for you.” Tony couldn’t believe his luck. Then again, yes he could. Women often did throw themselves at him. But even then, twins were still pretty exciting, even for someone like him.

“We were thinking that maybe,” Ashley tugged on his tie playfully and leaned close to him while Veronica tugged at his collar from behind him.

“If you were done here.”

“That we could find somewhere quiet.”

“And have a party of our own,” Veronica whispered in his ear, her lips just barely brushing against his flesh. Ashley was already untying his tie and a laugh escaped Tony’s lips. Wasn’t he supposed to say something in these situations? He could very well just let them do what they wanted but something was nagging at him. On top of that, he found himself very much not in the mood. He wanted liquor, not sex, which usually went hand in hand for him.

“I’m…” He hesitated and wondered if he could find the words. “I’m taken, ladies.” He swallowed the lump in his throat. It wasn’t like he needed to want sex to have it. Right? It would certainly clear his thoughts if he got off. Ashley laughed a little and Veronica whispered in his ear.

“Don’t sound so sure, Mr. Stark.”

“Certainly a man like you can do whatever he wants.” Ashley batted her eyelashes and tugged on the lining of his jacket, leaning herself close against him.

“I can do whatever I want.” He spoke defiantly.

“We know what kind of a man you are. We’re not asking for something more, just… some fun.” Veronica slipped her arms around his middle but he swatted them away though they didn’t stop groping him.

“Do you?” Tony wondered what kind of man he was exactly that these people knew him so well.

“You’re not the one woman type!” Ashley laughed as though this was obvious. “You’re Tony Stark!”

“I’m not sure what that means.” Tony furrowed his brow. Did he really still give off that vibe? He knew that the media speculated he couldn’t be with someone for more than a spicy fling but he had always ignored it. Why was it suddenly bothering him now? How was it that Scarlett dealt with it every damn day if it bothered him? And she trusted him? He was beginning to think she needed psychiatric help.

“Come on, you may be with that mystery woman now but how long before you’re bored? Before you need something new?” Veronica was becoming offended that he wasn’t taking them up on their offer to get out of there.

“It’s going to end in flames anyway. The single life is waiting for you, Mr. Stark.” Ashley pushed his legs apart but Tony didn’t seem to notice even though she was practically giving him a lap dance. Someone was cheering for him nearby but he didn’t pay them any mind.

Was that really true? Would he get bored with Scarlett? He’d never pictured a future with anyone before not until he’d met her. He’d tried hard as hell to keep her just a fling in the beginning and to play her the way he would any other beautiful woman who came into his life. But it was no longer like that. He was happy, wasn’t he?

Sure things were hard with Scarlett, harder than any relationship he’d ever been in before. Did that mean he was willing to give up? She had secrets. She had more secrets than anyone he knew except for maybe some of the other agents at S.H.I.E.L.D. Hell, when they’d first met she was practically trying to kill him and he couldn’t have come up with a better reason than that to not be with her anymore.

But now MedCo was back. Scott and Marcia had found them and were laying down the ground work for some bigger scheme he was sure of it. Did Tony want to be around when it finally went off without a hitch? He would inevitably lose her someday either to MedCo or some other villain or to his own ego. Was he better off alone? He could go back to the grind of being Iron Man and running his company. What was it he looked forward to when he was at a meeting anyway? A text message from Scarlett, going home to watch a movie with Scarlett, trying to talk her into going out with him or getting her out of her clothes.

If he did this now with these women he could end it all and go back to the life of partying, luxury, and gorgeous women. A new woman every night, as exotic as the one before but meaning nothing and kicked out before he could even get their name. The alcohol made it seem tempting but the sick feeling in his stomach was becoming very distracting.

Before he could make a decision Ashley made one for him and had closed the gap between them and kissed him deeply. Apparently she had kept talking and had taken his silence for acceptance. For a moment Tony felt the woman’s lips on his and her sister’s lips on his neck and was lost in thought.

He’d had a revelation! It wasn’t the ideal time for it, but there it was.

Instantly he pushed them away and slipped out of their arms, off of his barstool and then fell straight on his ass on the floor. He stared up at the ceiling for a moment before two bouncers helped him onto his feet. Instinctively he spit to the side and then felt disgusted that those women had been all over him. He wiped at his neck and his hair and fixed his tie though it was a sloppy half of a knot and not the perfection it had been when he’d arrived.

He pushed the bouncers away and the women stared at him in awe, wondering what was wrong with him. Then he went to the counter and in an attempt to pay his tab he knocked over three drinks onto the people nearby.

“Sorry ladies but I’m just not interested.” He spoke though his words were slurred. Even slurred, it still seemed like the smartest thing he’d said all night long. “I love Scarlett. You’re wrong about me.”

“Excuse me?” The twins were obviously not happy to be rejected and the group surrounding him observed the scene in just as much surprise.

“I’m not the guy you think I am. You don’t know what I am at all. You’re just… just brainwashed by the media because you’re… inferior little brains can’t see through the lies.” It probably hadn’t come out as graceful as he had meant it to and infinitely more insulting but Tony still felt proud of himself. “Send me the bill.” Tony waved to the bartender who gave him a high five, collecting the sticky but still valuable, bills Tony had thrown on the counter without giving a second thought to how much it was. It didn’t matter.

He did love Scarlett. The struggle was worth it. He did trust her! Okay, maybe he didn’t quite trust her, but he was willing to learn how and wasn’t that what mattered? Considerably proud of himself for what he’d accomplished in the bar, Tony stumbled through the crowd and onto the streets of Manhattan hoping for a gasp of fresh air.

Instead he coughed on a mouthful of steam from the subway and gagged, leaning against the wall near the bouncer who was controlling the crowd entering the club. Several people screamed at him and cheered for him. Tony jumped away from the wall once he saw his crowd and wanted to scream to them that he was in love and he’d finally figured it out! But instead he stumbled backwards and nearly fell again.

Thankfully someone caught him under his arms and when Tony looked up to see who was there he smiled stupidly at James Rhodes.

“I love her, Rhodey.”

“I know, you dumbass.” Rhodey shook his head but smiled at his friend. Tony had gone into the darkness and had probably done a number of things he’d be apologizing for over the next few years but he’d prevailed. Not many people would realize that moment in front of the club was such a big one for Tony Stark but as Rhodey hailed a cab and listened to his friend babble stupidly about the things he wanted in the future with his girlfriend and that he wasn’t scared of anymore, he knew that Tony had taken the biggest step forward he’d ever seen him take.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey guys, hope you enjoy the chapter. Thank you for reading!

I do not own Iron Man or the Marvel Universe, but I do own Scarlett Damien so please don't steal her!