‹ Prequel: Hollow Scars
Status: Updated Fridays

Across the Universe

She Came In Through the Bathroom Window

“Hey Cap, you’re awfully quiet. What’s going on?” Clint Barton tapped his fingers on the marble bar counter loudly, interrupting the women chatting on the opposite side of him. Mickey and Jinx had been attempting to explain to Natasha that they’d started their own little book club of sorts and were trying to convince her to join in the same breath. It wasn’t going very well, judging by the look on the red-head’s face. Steve wasn’t exactly the shy type, but he wasn’t exactly an extrovert either. His mind was preoccupied with the case at hand and the discoveries they’d made that morning.

That poor little girl! The things she’d gone through. To think all she’d really wanted was to be loved, to have a family. Look where it had gotten her. Steve knew what it was like to be that scared kid, picked on, beaten up in every alleyway. Maybe he was investing himself too emotionally in the case, but it was how he kept himself motivated. Scarlett had said earlier that it felt wrong to sit around and socialize while they waited for something potentially catastrophic to happen and he’d quietly agreed. He also saw the point of what they were doing now. What else were they supposed to do? Exhaust themselves before there was anything to combat? In a way he could see the logic of waiting around but if he’d been really in charge of the operation they wouldn’t be underground at a rustic Italian restaurant, seated at the bar socializing.

Thor was mingling back and forth, hair pulled back out of his face in a loose ponytail. Mickey had taken him to Tony’s tailor and gotten him some well fitting casual clothing for the occasion. He looked completely different without his suit of armor and cape over his shoulders though he still towered over almost everyone in the bar. There were other patrons in the dining room but they were seated at tables far out of earshot. Bruce had joined in the girls’ conversation about the book club but every word from his mouth was drenched with amusement and sarcasm. He was clearly becoming comfortable around the group.

Steve should have been just as comfortable by now, but his thoughts were too preoccupied. Clint had no problem joining in conversation at least not with that particular group of people so why did he?

“I’ve got too many things on my mind, I suppose.” Steve took a drink of his sparkling water and made a face of disgust. He was never a big fan of seltzer, but the restaurant was so fancy it felt appropriate to have something bubbly.

“I know. It hits me sometimes too.” Clint leaned his elbows on the bar counter much to the chagrin of the bartender who was wiping the other end of it. “I’m an agent with a next level anti-terror organization who had to explain to the girl at the door that my quiver is… legal?” He laughed and shook his head then scratched his nose awkwardly. “We’re constantly surrounded by practical super humans and geniuses. I’m just some run of the mill guy who happens to be good with a few weapons and that warrants me to be a super hero?” Clint gestured toward Thor who was walking toward them. “This guy’s a god. We are literally having lunch with a god.”

Steve stared at Clint skeptically but a smile played on his lips. Clint had a way of making other people feel like they were less awkward than he was. It was oddly comforting.

“Oh, you were thinking about the case. My bad.” Clint shrugged his shoulders and then turned around to face the bartender. “Hey barkeep, what super secret million year old bottle of wine do you have hidden back there that’s keeping Tony Stark coming to this place?”

“I was thinking about the case, but it’s nice to know that you have far more going on in your head than I do.” Steve chuckled, his mind eased as Clint actually climbed over the bar to look at the bottles with the bartender who suddenly seemed far less irritated with him and rather eager to show off.

“You do know that there is little we can do but wait it out.” Thor approached Steve on the other side of where Clint had been seated. “There is no shame in having a meal. Surely even a man of your stature requires food and drink, yes?”

“I suppose. My metabolism is actually much higher than any of them…” Steve had never sat down and thought about what it required to keep his body running after the super soldier serum had been given to him so many years prior.

“Then even more reason to enjoy! What is it that’s good here? I’m afraid that I’m unfamiliar with much of your Midgardian cuisine…” Thor hoped to distract Steve by addressing the menu that they’d all managed to ignore.

“I’ve never been one for fine dining…” Steve began.

“Where are Tony and Scarlett anyway?” Natasha stepped away from Jinx and Mickey and approached the men sitting at the bar. “I was making everyone wait for them to order but it’s been an hour. This place is starting to get busy.” Natasha didn’t look concerned but she was. Years of training kept her emotions from being written on her face.

“I didn’t notice they weren’t here.” Mickey chimed in. Her face had been perpetually red since she’d arrived at the restaurant. Helping Thor get fitted for Midgardian clothing and having to give her honest opinion on how he looked was definitely not in her job description.

“Well you’ve been distracted.” Jinx couldn’t keep the smile off of her face. This had been one of the most entertaining weeks of her life, minus all the terror they’d experienced. So far no lives had been lost, so she felt comfortable being amused thus far. Mickey glared daggers through Jinx who twiddled her thumbs and looked away.

“You don’t think something happened to them, do you?” Mickey cleared her throat, ignoring Jinx’s continued giggles.

“No.” Natasha wasn’t as convinced as she sounded. It was just like Scarlett to run out on this type of situation and handle things solo. That Mitchell girl hadn’t shown up yet either. Had the two run off to hunt down this creature and the little girl that was haunted by it? If she’d gone rogue, Coulson would have been on top of it. That was, unless Tony was covering for her. Natasha was pretty sure that Scarlett was too frustrated with Tony to invite him in on any secret plans she had going on. But what about her? Surely Scarlett would have let Natasha in on her secret plans. Then again, maybe not. Natasha had been the one pushing Scarlett to work for S.H.I.E.L.D., hadn’t she?

“Hey, Nat look at this!” Clint popped up from the other side of the bar holding a clear bottle of gold liquid. Everyone turned their attention to the bar. “This is a seventy year old bottle of whiskey.” The bartender tapped Clint’s shoulder and whispered to him then Clint nodded his head and turned back to the crowd. “Fifty years old and I’m told to call it scotch.” He corrected himself.

“What are you doing back there?” Natasha furrowed her brow.

“Christmas shopping. Do you have any idea how hard it’s going to be to find Bluebird and Captain Impulse-Spender a present?” The bartender whispered to Clint again and he immediately turned and handed the bottle back. “Never mind, this bottle is like… ten grand.” He made a face and then walked around the side of the bar.

“Is fifty years a long time for your alcohol?” Thor whispered to Bruce and Steve. Steve shrugged and Bruce nodded his head. “If we were at my home you would be in for quite a treat. Fifty years is a very young vintage in Asgard.” There was a commotion being made at the front of the restaurant that distracted the others from Thor.

“They’re here.” Steve rolled his eyes and turned away from the bar.

“How do you know?” Bruce looked curiously toward the super soldier.

“Stark can’t help himself. Probably knows everyone who works here and is making a big scene at the front door.”

“I should’ve known.” Bruce nodded.

“What are you guys waiting for? There’s a big table here next to the bar with our names on it.” Sure enough, Tony was walking past the patrons at the restaurant, which were now many, and toward the bar where the somber group was waiting for them. “Peter, we need appetizers, bread, oil, the works.” Tony nodded toward a proper looking man at the far end of the restaurant who returned his nod and walked away. “That’s the owner. An old friend of mine. Hey, Gilbert, can you get something a bit more poppin’ overhead? This old Italian stuff is fun but we need something a little more… Dean Martin, maybe?”

“Yes, Mr. Stark.” Tony was looking his best once again. Earlier he’d felt haggard, worn down; yesterday he’d been hung over. That afternoon Tony was cleaned up, clean shaven, dressed in a salmon colored button up, sport coat, and slacks.

“What took you so long?” Natasha sat at the table, eyeing them suspiciously.

“Traffic.” Tony nodded resolutely and joined the group at the table. The others had made their way over as he spoke. Trailing behind them had entered Mitchell, quiet and undetected. In fact, the others hadn’t noticed her until she was already in her seat. She hadn’t wanted to be alone with the agents of whatever bureau they were from. While she had rather enjoyed Bruce’s company for the most part she still didn’t trust that she wasn’t going to wind up in some cell, experimented on by the same scientists who were supposedly helping her for the time being. She’d struck a deal with Scarlett, not the others, so she’d waited for her to arrive.

“What was the real reason you’re late?” Natasha turned to Scarlett who had been oddly quiet and took a seat next to her.

“You know all those jokes about women taking forever to get ready?” Scarlett nodded toward Tony who was getting to know Thor a bit better. Something about the fact that Thor had gotten more attention from their female counterparts had rubbed him the wrong way so he’d felt the need to look good.

“So your girlfriend needed some time to manicure his beard?” Natasha rolled her eyes.

“Is it wrong of me to want a drink?” Scarlett heaved a sigh to confirm her friend’s suspicions. It obviously hadn’t taken Scarlett very long to get ready. She had showered and changed her clothing but she wasn’t going out of her way to look her very best. After all, this was still what she would consider work which is perhaps why she felt so uncomfortable socializing.

“I will if you will.” Natasha knew it would take more than a single glass of any sort of alcohol to get to either of them drunk so there was no harm. If it would help Scarlett calm her nerves she was all for it.

“I can’t complain.” Scarlett got up as Tony sat down next to her and started toward the bar with Natasha. “For the amount of times he’s waited for me to do something with my hair, I think I owe him the occasional beard grooming and not being able to choose what sport coat best goes with pink.” Scarlett nodded to the bartender. “Vodka and sprite.”

“Make that two.” Natasha held up her fingers and turned around to face the table, watching the others socialize and joke around. “As hard a time as I give you about dating him, he really does bring life to the party.” Scarlett nodded her head to agree. The music had changed as he’d requested, couples were dancing in the wide open center of the restaurant. The air was filled with a buzz of conversation and excitement. Half the clientele was just excited to be in the same room as the billionaire. Waiters seemed to be making sure that no one was snapping any pictures. Privacy was of an utmost important in this particular place.

“If you had just agreed to my offer we could be done by now.” Mitch joined Scarlett and Natasha at the bar. Mitch nodded in greeting to Natasha who had returned it. They’d fought together and that was enough to form a tentative bond of trust.

“No we wouldn’t.” Scarlett placed cash on the counter for their drinks and nodded to Mitchell. “Want one?”

“I’ll pass.” Mitchell looked toward the table and then back at the women at the bar. “What are we doing here?”

“We’re waiting.” Natasha shrugged. “It’s all we can do.”

“She’s right.” Scarlett didn’t sound so convinced but instead nursed her drink after clinking her glass with Natasha’s at her behest. “We’d be waiting either way. It doesn’t matter where we’re doing it. I can’t pursue something that isn’t of this world so I have to wait for it to come to me. Bruce has his machine ready to go, Natasha’s got the jet nearby and well… we haven’t eaten in hours. No one’s slept all night. Now’s as good a time as any to recuperate.”

“There’s time for all that after we’ve put a stop to that creature.” Mitchell was more determined than ever. Initially she’d just wanted a way out but after witnessing the events from the night before she was eager to help. “I may not be from around here but even I know what that thing would do to your world.”

“You can blink out of here the moment you get the chance, so what does it matter to you?” Natasha didn’t sound resentful, but more curious than anything. She had a blunt way of dealing with people, manipulating them with her words whether they realized it or not.

“I’m cautious not heartless.” Mitchell didn’t seem to understand why Natasha would think such a thing of her. “I’ve never been one to run from a fight.”

“It’s not your fight.”

“It’s not yours, either.”

“I like her.” Natasha looked past Mitchell to Scarlett who shrugged her one shoulder. Taking note of this, Natasha scowled. She’d have to keep an eye on that. Both women had been through far worse than a stab wound to the shoulder so it had to be bothering Scarlett quite a bit for her to avoid using it days after it had begun to heal.

“Eat, Mitch.” Scarlett nodded toward the table. “Please. None of us are going to be any help doing anything if we pass out from hunger and exhaustion.” Mitchell nodded resolutely and returned to the table. She sat next to Thor who also seemed to struggle with the menu placed in front of him. Bruce took to explaining what there was to offer at the restaurant which went over the newcomers’ heads.

“You should follow your own advice.” Natasha took a sip of her drink but didn’t take her eyes away from the table.

“Don’t mother me.” Scarlett clicked her tongue in disapproval. “You are going to split some pasta with me.”

“Am I?” Natasha laughed. “Don’t you have a boyfriend or something?”

“I’m mad at him.” Scarlett walked back over to the table and took her seat. “You’re second best.”

“I’m honored.” Natasha took the seat across from her.

“None of this pasta is creepy, right?” Steve leaned over the moment Scarlett sat down and whispered to her with his brow furrowed.

“What?” Scarlett shook her head in dismay.

“Creepy pasta. The girls were telling me earlier…”

“Oh god, internet garbage.” Scarlett couldn’t hide her laughter and patted Steve on the back. “Sometimes I forget you’re not from this day and age.”

“Trust me, I don’t.” Steve looked at the menu again.

“There’s no such thing as actual pasta that is creepy. At least not here. It’s all perfect.” Scarlett nodded and pointed to a few items on the menu.

“I’m still thinking I might avoid it altogether.” Steve grimaced. The idea of getting some kind of horrid pasta made from something he didn’t want to conceive was overwhelming.

“Well, they make a pretty good Chicken Milanese. There’s no pasta in that.” Scarlett sighed, ordering their food as the waiter showed up. Things were nice for a short while after that. The group of scientists, S.H.I.E.L.D. agents, and super heroes talked and got to know each other, joked and temporarily forgot that there was some horrible creature from another world trying to break through to theirs and wreak havoc. Well, as much as one could forget about such things.

Lunch felt surreal. Scarlett shared her bowl of pasta with Natasha, much to Tony’s dismay. Natasha hadn’t taken kindly to him trying to stick his fork in their meal and they’d argued about personal space for a long while. It was hard to focus on pasta and swapping stories when she knew what they were waiting for. Somewhere Caitlyn needed their help. What if the next time this creature crossed over it would be the very last of the girl’s strength? Had they waited too long to get to her? To figure out what was really going on?

Food was long gone, the restaurant was no less crowded, the music was loud and half of the group had moved over to the bar. Natasha and Mitch had remained at the table swapping stories along with Mickey and Jinx who were off in their own little world talking about something or another. Those who remained were seated at the bar, chatting and enjoying each other’s company.

Tony was telling a story about something stupid he and Rhodey had done at MIT. Scarlett had heard the story a handful of times already so she’d tuned it out. What were they doing there? Was this supposed to improve morale? This wasn’t how she operated. Scarlett would have rather been at work. Yes, even when she’d worked alone she’d made time for a little fun at a bar but it was never like this. Something felt different, still out of place. The more she thought about it, the less it sat well with her. It was then that it occurred to her that they were missing one amongst their ranks. The Brit hadn’t come to meet them for lunch. Had S.H.I.E.L.D. pulled him for another assignment?

Scarlett had been curious about Agent Harrison, mostly because he had managed not to divulge a single thing about himself while still seeming forthcoming.

“Scarlett? Hey, Scarlett, you in there?” Tony was gingerly taking her hand off of the counter and spinning her around in her spot. “It’s our song, we should dance…” Tony nodded toward the dance floor. Scarlett listened to the music and sure enough it was a song they’d danced to, perhaps the first song they’d danced to but instinct made her retract her hand. Wounded was an understatement to how Tony looked.

“I don’t feel like dancing.” Scarlett hadn’t intended to come off as cold, but she’d been too focused on what was going on in her head. Besides, she really didn’t feel like dancing.

“Well… It’s Frankie… but, okay.” Tony wasn’t quite sure what to do with that. Scarlett had, of course, turned him down many times before but he’d never once been too nervous to pull her along to dance with him again. That first time they’d dance together had only been because Tony had made it happen. “Bartender, I need another drink.” Tony exhaled. Hadn’t she been the one to say that just because they fought she wouldn’t stop loving him? Then what was with the cold shoulder?

“What is going on there?” Thor leaned closer to Steve to speak in a hushed tone. Steve turned red and stuttered on his words. He wasn’t really one for gossip and most certainly not about Scarlett. After all the craziness of the last week concerning her and the things he’d done wrong he wasn’t about to put his foot right back into his mouth.

“Tony had a bit of a… reputation.” Clint answered for him, placing his arms on the bar again.

“Well, don’t we all?” Thor didn’t seem to catch the reference. He had a reputation. He was reputedly the god of thunder so why was this man’s reputation causing him such trouble with the curly haired woman?

“It’s not a good reputation, big guy.” Clint laughed and nudged Thor behind Steve’s back.

“I used to be somewhat of… a pick up artist.” Tony interjected, leaning hunched over the counter so he could see past Scarlett who rolled her eyes and mumbled something about talking like she’s not standing there and what a sausage fest this was turning into.

“Somewhat?” Steve rolled his eyes.

“What does a pick up artist do?” Thor couldn’t imagine what the term meant other than the obvious picking up of artists.

“I used to pick up women… lots of them, very frequently and pretty publicly.” Tony clarified, tapping his fingers on the counter. He had never been ashamed of who he was. Tony Stark was very unapologetic.

“Very recently. Don’t forget recently.” Scarlett chimed in and Tony narrowed his eyes at her.

“What does that term mean? We do not use it in Asgard.”

“I’d love to teach you how to pick up some ladies, big’un.” Tony smiled that charming smile. “You’ve already got the good looks going for you. Some of those S.H.I.E.L.D. ladies are all weak in the knees when you walk in the room but it’s more than just good lucks, it requires a bit of… finesse.” Smoothing out the collar of his jacket, Tony was rather pleased to be back in his element.

Without a word, Thor reached next to him, whispered an apology and then lifted Scarlett right out of her seat. A noise of delight escaped her lips as he propped her right onto his shoulder. Tony stopped talking as did many people in the restaurant who had turned to watch the display.

“I require no lessons on how to pick up women, Sir Stark. As you see I am quite capable.”

“That is not what I meant.” Tony pinched the bridge of his nose and couldn’t help but laugh. “You’re doing it wrong.”

“I do not see how that is possible. I have lifted her right out of her seat. Sorry again, madam Damien.” Thor glanced up at her perched on his shoulder. “She is picked up!”

“None necessary.” Scarlett shrugged and took a sip out of her near empty drink.

“You see, it’s not that kind of picking up! When I say picking up I mean…” Tony drifted off as Thor readjusted his grip on Scarlett and held her with one hand above his head.

“Well, hello there.” Scarlett peered over the side of her to look at those below her who were all staring.

“My apologies for anything you may deem inappropriate.” Thor grinned, pleased with himself.

“I usually make guys at least buy me a glass of wine first but if you get me one now I think we can call it even.”

“Yes, milady. Barkeep, could you refresh this woman’s…” Before Thor could finish, Natasha handed him a glass of cabernet. “Why thank you, madam widow.”

“You can call me Natasha.” The Black Widow was enjoying this conversation far more than she should have been. Thor handed the glass to Scarlett who took it gratefully, giving Natasha a thumbs up on the vintage.

“You’re missing the point.” Tony fluttered his eyes for a moment as he tried to get a grip on what had just happened. If there was any doubt that this man had god like abilities, the fact that he was holding Scarlett in the air one-handed without blinking an eye nearly confirmed it, at least for Tony.

“Is he? I feel pretty picked up.” Scarlett spoke up in Thor’s defense. “He’s doing a damn good job. Better than you ever did.” Very innocently Scarlett took a sip of her wine but she could practically feel Tony’s eye twitching in frustration from her words. She was still angry with him after all and Thor didn’t mean any harm even if his hand was right on her butt. He was simply proving a point and to be honest, Scarlett was rather fond of his way of picking up women. Tony deserved to be a little irritated, he deserved to be rubbed the wrong way. Scarlett had always pushed him out of his comfort zone and she wasn’t planning on changing her ways any time soon.

“First of all, that’s not how you pick up a woman.” Tony pushed his drink away and turned to face Thor. “Secondly there are rules about picking up another man’s woman.” Tony gestured to Scarlett.

“Women do not belong to men.” Thor clarified, somewhat disgusted at the very notion. “This woman belongs to no man at all. She is her own woman who can make her own choices and she has very clearly allowed me to pick her up.”

“Oh, he is my new favorite god.” Scarlett laughed, taking a sip of her wine, temporarily forgetting about the craziness of the situation at hand. Thor had accomplished what none of the others had managed: a distraction.

“Do you hear that, Stark?” Natasha practically spat her words. “She doesn’t belong to anybody. You don’t take ownership of people. Particularly ones who are more than capable of making their own decisions about what to do with their lives.” After the argument she’d had with Tony earlier about Scarlett’s involvement with S.H.I.E.L.D. she was more than happy to have this conversation again.

“You know what, fine… whatever. But that’s not what we mean here in Manhattan when we say picking up women.” Tony tried again to explain himself.

“I am willing to consider that I am incorrect.” Thor spoke clearly.

“Hey, Thor?” Scarlett tapped his head from where she sat above him.

“Yes, madam?”

“Can you put me down? Starting to get vertigo up here.” Scarlett smiled and Thor nodded and obliged as gentlemanly as he could, setting her down on her feet so he was sure she could regain her balance. “Thank you.” Scarlett took a seat on the other side of Tony who had stolen her seat in the midst of things.

“Of course.” Thor nodded and then turned his attention back to Tony who was explaining how to pick up women none too gracefully.

“You can’t just lift a woman off the ground.”

“And why not?”

“That’s an invasion of their personal space.”

“Yeah, you know quite a bit about that.” Natasha interjected. The others from the table had joined the conversation, at least out of curiosity. “Do tell me the story of how you got involved with Scarlett again? I think the term she used was… being held hostage?”

“No one asked you. And Pepper described it as kidnapping, thank you very much.”

Scarlett watched them bicker back and forth and set the nearly full glass of wine down on the bar. She hadn’t meant to turn Tony down to dance. Yeah, she was mad at him, but she really wasn’t in the mood for festivities. In fact, she wasn’t in the mood for anything. She didn’t really feel much at all like herself. Dancing seemed silly but he’d seemed so hurt that she’d practically rejected them.

There was an audible gasp from the crowd as Thor lifted Mickey up over his head as she walked past and then Natasha in the other hand. Bruce was laughing audibly and Steve was trying to hide his amusement. Thor didn’t seem to understand what he was doing wrong and it was oddly endearing. Mickey’s face was so red she matched the wine in Scarlett’s glass and Natasha looked oddly uncomfortable. When Tony continued to argue, Thor allowed Natasha to rest on his shoulder and lifted Mitch up to join the other ladies. He was clearly a master at picking up women.

“So, how did it feel to be groped by a god?” Clint’s voice awoke Scarlett from her reverie. Somehow hearing him joke with her made her instantly feel better.

“Oddly flattering.” Scarlett leaned against the bar. Clint knew better than to ask if she was okay to try to prod and poke if something was wrong.

“This all feels weird, doesn’t it?” Clint tapped the counter. Scarlett pretended not to know what he was talking about but was somewhat relieved to know that she wasn’t the only one feeling out of sorts. “That kid needs our help and we’re here joking around and having a good time.”

“Feels wrong.” Scarlett nodded her head to agree.

“If I wasn’t so sure we’d end up in prison for what needed to be done I’d suggest you, me and Nat take off and get this done.”

“Amazing how we can’t do the right thing because the legal system prevents us from doing so.”

“It’s a slippery slope.” Clint whispered and before he could continue talking a loud beeping interrupted the antics of the S.H.I.E.L.D. agents seated at the bar, half of them which were in Thor’s arms. Each one of them quieted down except for Tony who seemed incapable. “It’s a romantic term, okay?”

“You mean a sex term.” Clint corrected quietly and Tony shot him a look.

“My machine is giving the signal. It’s go time.” Bruce got up from where he sat. Tony immediately stood up and walked over to the owner of the restaurant who was on his way to ask if things were alright. They were the life of the party and it was obvious when something was amiss.

“Are you sure?” Jinx picked up her jacket and slipped it on then collected her fortune telling cards that remained on the table from when she’d tried to convince Mitch to let her do a reading.

“The sensors don’t lie.”

“Where is it this time?” Steve was back into leader mode. He’d been subdued during the gathering at the restaurant but was pleased to be back in his element.

“Central Park.” Bruce grimaced.

“That’s not good.” Scarlett exchanged glances with Natasha who scowled. No matter the time of day there were people walking around the park, tourists, horse drawn carriages. It was one of the busiest places in Manhattan.

“Let’s go.” Steve started toward the doorway. Tony paid for the meal, thanked the owner and trailed behind the group. He would meet them in his armor once he was sure that Scarlett was fine riding with Natasha. They had work to do. Despite the air of relaxation that had taken over during lunch, none of the heroes had forgotten it.
♠ ♠ ♠
I do not own Iron Man or the Marvel Universe, but I do own Scarlett Damien so please don't steal her!