Status: slowly but surely

Dear Emma

6 / 7 / 2009

Dear Emma,

Three months this time. I'm quite proud of myself. Again, nothing much has happened. Not to me, anyway, but I told myself I would persevere. Did you enjoy the winter solstice? Personally, I found that the time dragged on. The dark couldn't come quick enough, the welcoming black of night, and the peacefulness of sleep. Did you know that it isn't actually black at night? I learned a term that described it a few days ago. It's of German origin, and I can't for the life of me remember it. Hopefully it will return to me later, as it was a very nice piece of knowledge to possess.

I dropped my job, just like I said. I'm not sure why though - it was before school holidays when I did and they were offering several shifts each week. I can be so silly at times.

Holidays, on the other hand, weren't very silly. I spent my time studying. I want to get into an advanced class next year, which means my grades need to be top-notch. I retook a few exams, and achieved even higher marks thanks to my determination.

I'm sorry, Em. I can't think of anything else to tell you, except - eigengrau! That's the word I was thinking of for the not-quite-blackness of night.

- A friend.
xx


Image


They were very short in this piece. I don't blame them - exams are a serious topic. Not to be taken lightly. Though I wish they wouldn't retake the exams, their mark was probably good enough not get into an advanced placement class anyway. After all, isn't anyone who sends such letters to a stranger telling of their life story and current events smart? At least they'll have someone to share their story - from their point of view.
♠ ♠ ♠
... thoughts, please?