Pushing the Limits

Chapter 2

Throughout the day, I can’t stop thinking about him. I want to know his name. I want to be friends with him. He looks like someone I can talk to. He looks different from them and the same as me.

Without realizing, the bell rings and school is over. I slowly walk toward the main door, trying my best to avoid being pushed or shoved by others.

I always like to say goodbye to my oak tree before leaving for home. I’m halfway there when I see two people standing near the tree. With my bad eyesight, I can faintly make out one of them dressed in black. I quickly assume that it’s him standing there.

As I move closer, I see the person standing next to him. It’s Elizabeth, the most popular and girliest girl at Dalesworth High. She pretends to be nice to everyone but is straightforwardly mean to me. From where I’m standing, I can see and hear them talking and laughing. I stand there on my tiptoes, swaying a little from side to side, pretending to be looking out in the distance for someone just in case they see me staring at them.

After a minute or two, I get tired. I bend down and unknot my shoelaces and then tie them up just so I have an excuse to stay here longer. When I look up, I see them kissing. I can feel my heart pounding loudly in my chest. I don’t want to be here anymore.

I run to the bus stop. Just my luck, my bus comes right when I get there. I quickly get on and pay the fare. I find an empty window seat in the back. The bus is always empty because I’m the only one here who takes the bus to and from school.

The bus starts moving, and I begin crying. I don’t know why I’m crying. Maybe it’s the fact that someone like him likes someone like Elizabeth. Did she manipulate him? No, because he looked happy talking to her. Did they just meet? I’ve never seen him before. He’s most likely a transfer student. She must have known him from somewhere else, or they hooked up on the first day he arrived here. These thoughts and more swirl around my head, making me dizzy.