Pushing the Limits

Chapter 4

It’s the weekend. Thank God. I probably can’t face him after what happened that morning. It’s embarrassing in general, and that happening in front of him makes it 100 times more embarrassing. I really need time to think of better ways to talk to him.

I grab my purple journal and record my moment of embarrassment. Hopefully I can laugh about it one day, but for now, my goal is to not make a fool out of myself in front of him. I have to at least know his name by Monday or else I will not be able to sleep.

I’m lying down on my bed, daydreaming about him. Maybe we can make the oak tree our special spot. Only if Elizabeth doesn’t interfere. I’ll make sure she doesn’t. The oak tree has always been my spot and she knows it. She can’t just claim it hers just because he likes hanging around there and because she may be kind of, sort of, his girlfriend.

For the rest of the weekend, I’m holed up in my room, writing in my journal, listening to sad songs, and thinking about him. Just picturing him in my mind makes me happy.

Time flies, and the dreadful Monday has arrived. He’s there at the oak tree again. This time, he looks like he’s writing something. Maybe he’s finishing up homework. Or maybe he’s just writing.

I’m prepared today. I made sure to eat fresh cereal with milk that isn’t expired. I brushed my teeth twice, rinsed my mouth with mouthwash, and ate three mints. I’m dressed in a solid mahogany dress with black tights. I never wear dresses, but I feel like I should today because today is the day I will have a conversation with him.

I just need to walk a few more steps to get to him. Out of the blue, a wild-looking Elizabeth comes running toward him. Her long blond curls bounce around as she’s running. She’s waving her arms around and screams out, “Evan! Evan!”

He turns to the side and sees her. He instantly smiles and gets up. She’s about to reach him, but she trips. She doesn’t fall flat on her face because he catches her in his arms.

“Oh my gosh. Thanks for saving me,” she says, giving him a hug.

He chuckles. “No problem. Why were you running?”

She points to her 5-inch clear high heels. “I wanted to show you the new shoes I got. Do you like?” She flutters her eyelashes.

He nods yes and combs out her hair with his hands.

All this time, I’m standing there, watching the whole thing. They don’t seem to notice me. Well, I lost my chance all because of Elizabeth and her stupid shoes. On the bright side though, I learned his name. It’s Evan. I love his name. I’m going to write it all over my journal. After I get over this huge disappointment.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm not sure I want to go on with this story. I started it for fun, and then I wrote some more because of an assignment for my Creative Writing class. Now that I'm finished with that assignment and I'm working on something else, my excitement for this story kind of died. Who knows, in the future, I might continue. But for now, I think I'll leave this as is.