Self Reflection

Chapter 4

Her limbs seemed to burn at such an intense heat, hotter than any burn Skylar had received in her life. Knives seemed to dig into her flesh, rip her muscles and veins away from her bones, and tore them to shreds. She bit her tongue, filling her mouth with the metallic, salty taste of blood. She shrieked as the pain intensified. The bones in her spine cracked, breaking. Skylar could no longer feel the ground under her hands anymore.

"Don't fight it," Matt said through his teeth, desperately trying to make his voice sound soothing while he restrained her, "Find your happy place and just keep thinking about it."

Skylar took in several deep breaths, trying to calm down enough so she could think clearly, so she could remember. She thought of her eighth grade trip to New York, those who could afford it in her grade took a five day field trip to learn and experience the city. They went to the Museum of Natural History, the third day. She was in the African mammals exhibit, with her friend Samantha, reading about the lions. They are the second largest living animals in the world. Then, Skylar felt a tap on her shoulder, she looked to Sam who had the biggest smile on her face. Skylar felt the tears run down her face as she threw herself into his arms. The pins on his uniform poked her cheek, but she didn't care. All she cared about was how happy she was that he was there, that she could feel the warmth of his body after so many months.

An annoying throbbing coursed through her body. Her skin began to itch, she looked down to find dark golden fur begin to protrude through her skin. Her arms swelled and her hands thickened. Her pale pink painted nails split in half and sharp claws grew in their place. Her shoulders rolled and cracked as if something were trying to burst out from inside her body. The tips of her ears seemed to sharpened, feeling as if someone were carving them with a knife.

Then suddenly, abruptly, the pain stopped. For moments, Skylar thought she was dead. Matt had mentioned how a shift could kill a person, had she resisted too much? She moved her hand to her throbbing head. A thick hand hit her in the temple, she looked at in, no a hand but a paw. A giant golden paw with thick, brownish claws. She picked her head up and looked around. She could see more clearly now, she could see the chips in the tree trunks and the veins in the leaves that remained on the trees. She was aware of a pair of eyes on her, she met the yellowish green eyes with her own, rolling off her side and propping herself up.

"Woah!" he finally said. He reached a hand towards her, as if to pet her. She pulled her lips back and growled, snapping her large teeth at him. Matt drew his hand into his chest. "It's just... Wow! I've only seen a lioness in the zoo, even then it didn't seem real, but this, this is amazing."

she looked down at herself, or at least attempted to. Her legs were well muscled, which before she had little to none. She had large padded paws, her entire body was covered in short, dark, golden fur. A long snake of a tail laid curled next to her right rear flank. She flicked it side to side, unsure how she was making it move.

Skylar looked up at Matt, who wasn't paying attention. He seemed to be dazed, staring at her, but not really taking in her actions. She made a chirping growl in the back of her throat and he gave a jolt.

"Yes?" he asked looking at her, really looking at her. He tucked his legs in, sitting crisscross applesauce on the ground. Folding his hands together and placing them in his lap.

She looked from him to the furry snake attached to her rear. She flicked it side to side before looking back up at him, cocking her head to the side.

"Honestly," he said, "I have no clue. But, I do know it can be used as a terrible weapon."

Skylar remembered how his tail had slid against her cheek, distracting her right before the bite. She shuddered, or something like that. In the body of a giant cat, she shook and flopped onto her side. Matt didn't seem concerned, she assumed it had happened to him at some time in his life.

A breeze came. Skylar breathed in the scent of pine, maple, Matt's cologne (which burned her nose), and a salty, metallic scent. Blood. Her stomach growled and she realized how hungry she was, she hadn't eaten much that day. Matt's head lifted too, he could also smell it. She got to her feet, her legs were shaky, but she could stand. Skylar sniffed the air again, finding the delicious scent. She readied herself to run, but was tackled to the ground.

She growled at Matt, who laid heavily on top of her side. "You're not going anywhere." he said. She looked into his cat eyes through her own and growled at him. She wanted him off of her, she was hungry. Her stomach turned and growled, screaming to her 'Give me food!' She snapped at him, trying to scare him away, but he stood his ground.

"Sky, think about what you are doing." he said. "You are human, not an animal, think about who you are." She bared her teeth at him and chomped at his throat. I stream of blood broke through where she nicked him and dripped onto her coat. He didn't move, not even to stop the bleeding. The scent of his blood was different, his blood smelled sweet and familiar, nothing like the coppery, salt smell of the humans.

She put her paw to the base of his throat, no not a hand, her hand. She looked at her hand in astonishment, not even knowing she morphed back to her human form.

"Yes, you're human." he said, wiping back a strand of sweaty blonde hair behind her ear.

"I'm sorry." she croaked. Touching his neck again. The blood stopped flowing and she looked into his eyes in surprise.

"Shifters heal fast." he said, "Every immortal being does."

"So, that's what I am now? Immortal?"

"Only if you keep shifting." He gave her a quick sideways smirk. He realized he was still laying on top of her, he began to stand up.

"Wait!" Skylar pulled his body close to her. He gave her an excited yet concerned face. "Close your eyes." She could feel his excitement mix with hers, he obeyed a smile creeping onto his face. "Give me your coat."

"Why?"

"Because my underwear was ripped apart when I shifted."

"Would you like me to join you?" he grinned wildly, his eyes still closed. She smacked the back of his head. "Ow!" his eyes flew open and met hers.

"Does that answer your question?" she asked. Their faces were only centimeters apart. He stared down at her, his eyes burned into her, pulling down every mental wall she had leaving her exposed.

"Loud and clear." his breath warmed her, not just her face, but it seemed to warm her entire body. His closeness, his touch, his warmth radiating off his body only to be absorbed by hers. He closed his eyes, stood up, picked up his coat and handed it to her. She stood up and slid it on, it was soft and traveled down to her knees. "Time to get you home." he walked away from her, not even turning to see if she followed, but knew she would. Skylar stood for a couple of seconds, her body was warm, but her insides felt cold. She shivered before gathering her clothes and running after her sire.