To Mend A Broken Heart

Chapter 1 - Shattered

Yami looked up at the apartment building in front of him, he was on his way to visit his girlfriend, Briana. He had wanted to take her out tonight, but she had told him she needed to study for her upcoming uni exams. So instead, he had decided to pay her a surprise visit to ease the pain of studying. Holding a bouquet of flowers in one hand and a box of her favourite chocolates in the other, he walked into the building. Yes, it was corny and soppy for him to be arriving with flowers and chocolates, but Bri loved it. As he stood in the elevator, waiting for it to ascend to her level on the top floor, he idly thought about the past 11 and a half months of their relationship. He was very excited, because their one year anniversary was only two weeks away, and he had something great planned as a surprise. He had met Briana just over a year ago, when her car had broken down on the side of the road. He had stopped to help her, and upon realising how intriguing she was, he had asked her to dinner, and now they had been together for almost a year. He smiled to himself, never before had he felt such strong feelings towards someone, and he knew he was in love with this girl. Right now, he was the happiest man on the planet. His smile faded slightly as he remembered the only thing that ruined it.

Austin.

Austin was a friend of Bri's from school, and the two men did not get along at all. From the day they had met there was constant tension, and it was very clear they did not like each other.

Yami still remembered the first words Austin said when they had met. He had turned to Bri and said "This is your boyfriend? What were you on when you decided to date a loser like this?" and from that moment on, Yami knew he would never get Austin's approval.

Austin was quite a big guy, with an endomorph body he was built like a tank, and acted like one too. His ego was as big as his biceps, and he never failed to show them off. A 'chick magnet' as he called himself, he would constantly brag about how many girls he woke up next to each sunday morning after whatever wild party he'd had the night before. Whenever Bri and Yami would come across Austin, the bigger man would look down his nose at Yami and say something like: "geez are you still here?"

Austin was constantly finding new ways of criticizing Yami also, whether it be about his fashion, music taste, body shape or even choice of study. Yami was an ectomorph, which meant he was quite the opposite to Austin's body type. He was slimmer, and more elegantly designed, and Austin would always call him a scrawny midget. He was neither of those things however, Yami was only short compared to Austin, he also spent countless hours in the gym each week, and not for nothing either. He was quite shredded, but being an ectomorph meant it was harder to get big. He didn't mind though, he was slim but fit, and Bri liked that.

The thing that bothered him most about Austin however, were his remarks regarding their sex life. Yami and Briana hadn't done the deed yet, simply because they wanted to wait for the one year mark so that it would be special. Austin would come to the conclusion that Yami must be terrible in the bedroom or simply didn't have big enough 'assets' to please Bri. This angered Yami every time Austin would bring it up, and would have to restrain himself from putting his fist in Austin's jaw. But no matter how much Austin bugged him, Yami was never rude to him, because Austin was Briana's best friend, and so Yami tolerated the man to make her happy. He always wondered why Briana befriended such an immature jerk, and to this day, he still didn't know.

He sighed and shook his head, he couldn't let Austin bother him when the man wasn't even around, that would just end badly. Putting a smile on his face, Yami walked out of the lift and into the corridor, heading for Bri's apartment. He could hear loud music coming from somewhere and became quite confused. Briana's apartment building wasn't known for having wild parties, unless someone new had just moved in on her level. He reached her door near the end of the corridor, and stood in front of it with a bewildered expression. It was her apartment that the music was coming from, he could feel the bass pounding through the floor beneath his feet. He didn't bother to knock, and opened the door, not being surprised to find it was unlocked. Inside, there were many party goers filling Bri's lounge area, as music blasted through the speakers, and a set of colourful lights hung sloppily from a hook in the roof. The apartment flashed red, blue, green and yellow, and Yami just stared at it all. What was going on?

"Briana?" he called out, making his way through the crowd. "Bri? Where are you?" He received some odd looks as he walked through the party holding a bouquet of flowers and a box of chocolates, so he made his way to the kitchen. He poked his head through the door and only found a group of kids mixing drinks on the bench. He sighed, and continued down the hallway to Briana's room. There were already conflicting thoughts in his head, as he wondered why Bri's apartment was filled with drunk people that he had never seen before.

He finally made his way to Briana's room, and pushed the door open, "Bri, are you in here?" he asked, looking away from the party and into the room. When his eyes rested on the inside of Briana's room however, he froze in horror. There were two sets of legs protruding out from the blankets on Bri's bed, one of them unmistakably hers. She was moaning in pleasure, her face hidden from view by the man that was on top of her, butt naked.

"Austin..." she moaned as the man thrusted into her.

Yami's face paled, as he stood, frozen at the scene in front of him. He was in such shock he didn't know what emotion he was feeling, but it was overwhelming him.

"Oh god," he said, his eyes wide in horror as he covered his mouth. The two had heard him, and they stopped abruptly, as Bri let out a startled noise, trying to cover herself with the blankets. She then saw who it was who had walked in on them, and gasped.

"Yami..." she said, shocked. "I..."

If she was going to say more, Yami wouldn't have known, because he turned and left the room swiftly, feeling sick to his stomach. He ran back through the apartment, still holding the bouquet of flowers in his hand, and he pushed past the drunken party goers, his only purpose to get as far away from there as possible. He burst into the corridor, and stumbled over to the elevator as his emotions started to catch up with him, as what he had just witnessed sank in. He stubbornly pushed them down however, willing them to go away, but they bubbled inside him like a volcano waiting to erupt.

The elevator opened and he punched in the number of the ground floor, and as the elevator descended, he balled his hands into fists, as the scene flashed at the front of his mind. He finally couldn't take it anymore, and he let out a cry of despair, punching the elevator wall before it reached the bottom, as he burst into tears. He reached the ground floor, and ran out, tears streaming down his face as he did so, not having any idea where he was going. He finally reached a park, and ran over to the lake that sat in the middle. He stopped in front of it, trembling and breathing heavily, and he hunched over, resting his hands on his knees as he tried to catch his breath, his vision now blurred. He stared down at his reflection in the water, the same look of despair being reflected back at him.

All I've ever done is love her and care for her, he thought as his tears dropped down into the water, where did I go wrong? He stood back up and let out a cry of rage and despair, causing all the birds in the trees nearby to retreat.

I'm done with women, love does nothing but destroy you.
♠ ♠ ♠
So this is a story I wrote a little while ago that's been up on fanfiction.net but i decided to move it onto here as well. Of course my writing has improved since i wrote this and it could do with some fixing up but I really can't be bothered, the plot is good though i assure you! :P

Would love to hear some feedback (I actually got a bit of negative comments when i posted this chapter just after writing it, apparently Yami sounds like a dick...?)