To Mend A Broken Heart

Chapter 10 - Rescue Mission

Yami and Joey casually pulled into the front entrance of the hotel, and were approached by a very well dressed man wearing the hotel staff's uniform.

"Looks like the welcoming committee," Joey said as the man walked up to the car.

"Welcome to the Stamford Plaza Hotel," he said with a friendly smile, "What would be your name?" he asked. Yami told the man his name and he pulled out a small tablet, looking for the booking.

"Ah yes, here you are..." the man gave Joey an odd look, before composing himself again, "You can go to reception and collect your room key, I shall take care of your vehicle."

Yami paled, Oh no, he thought, I forgot about the valet parking.

"Um, no that's fine, I'm happy to take the car down myself," he said.

The man opened Yami's door, "Oh but we insist sir, we cannot allow you to drive your own car in as we have a very certain way of how we store them. I assure you your car will be in good hands."

It's not the car I'm worried about, Yami thought. After another attempt to protest, the valet man heavily insisted he take the car, so Yami reluctantly got out of the car, as he and Joey grabbed their bags from the back seat.

"Enjoy your stay gentlemen," the man as he got into the drivers seat.

"Uh Joey," Yami said as they watched the car disappear under the hotel, "You should probably text Yugi," he said worriedly.

"Can't," Joey said, "Don't have any credit." Yami sighed and pulled out his phone nervously as they walked into reception. "Relax Yami," Joey said, "We'll sort this out, Yugi will be fine."

I sure hope so, Yami said, as he typed the message. He said that they had forgotten about the compulsory valet service, and that they would go down there and get Yugi as soon as they could, and for him to not panic. He got a reply straight away.

Wait, so you're not driving the car right now?!

No, but don't worry, once he's parked the car we'll come get you I promise!

Ok, but please hurry I'm starting to feel claustrophobic :/

Yami was getting more worried, "We have to get down there," he murmured to Joey as they approached reception, "Yugi's claustrophobic."

"And he tells us that now?!" Joey said, before replacing his frustrated expression with a friendly smile towards the receptionist.

The woman gave them an odd look after Yami had told her his name.

"This is with the...'romantic package for two' as well?" she asked. Yami had forgotten he'd signed up for that, which included a couples massage and champagne and various other romantic things.

"Oh uh, that is not necessary anymore," Yami said, feeling a pang in his chest as he remembered all the wonderful things he had originally planned for this night. The woman gave them the keys to the penthouse and Joey and Yami would have been ecstatic about going up to the room, if only Yugi were with them. They quickly made their way to the top floor and unlocked the room, only to dump their stuff just inside the door and close it without even looking at its contents.

"Okay, how are we going to get Yugi?" Yami asked, "Only hotel staff can go down to where they keep the cars."

"Well then we'll have to become staff members," Joey said with a smirk. Yami already didn't like the idea, but he couldn't think of any other way to get to Yugi. He agreed, and the searched the floor below the penthouse until they saw someone exiting a door marked 'staff only'. They got to the door before it closed completely, and found a room filled with clean linen and towels.

"Dammit this isn't going to help us," Joey said.

"Wait," Yami walked over to a pile of boxes in the corner, and opened one of them. "Bingo," he pulled out a brand new black button up shirt that had a red 'S' stitched on the breast pocket. They'd found the uniforms. They quickly threw them over the clothes they were already wearing, and set off on the task of finding out how to get down to the car park. They reached the bottom floor and tried to inconspicuously find the way to the car park, but they had no idea where they were going. They turned a corner, thinking all was going well, when they ran into one of the hotel's staff.

"Pardon me," the man said, apologising for almost running into them. He was about to walk off, but he stopped, eyeing the two of them curiously. "I don't seem to recognise you two," he noted.

"We're new here," Joey piped up.

"Yes," Yami agreed, "this is our first day, but we're a little confused," he explained calmly, much the opposite to how he was really feeling.

"Oh, that would be why I haven't seen you before," the man said with a laugh, "What can I help you with?"

"...Would you be able to tell us how to get to the car storage?" Joey asked.

The man became confused, "Why would you need to go down there?" he asked.

Yami and Joey looked at each other, "A guest left something important in their vehicle and wished for us to fetch it," Yami said. He was glad for how well him and Joey could think on their feet.

"Well alright then," the man with a shrug, he explained how to get to the underground car park and they thanked him, before heading off in the right direction as fast as they could.

Joey wiped his forehead once the man was out of sight, "Phew! That was a close one," he said.

"Indeed," Yami said, "let's hope the rest of this is smooth sailing."

"We can only hope," Joey said. They found the door leading to the underground car park and punched in the code they had been told by the man. It unlocked with ease and they darted down the stairs, to find themselves surrounded by cars.

"Next problem...finding the car," Joey said, looking around.

"Well it's a black Audi..." Yami said, though he then realised there were a lot of Black Audi's parked here, as only wealthy people stayed at this hotel, most of which owned expensive European cars. They walked through the rows and rows of cars until eventually, they noticed one with a Duel Monsters card hanging from the rearview mirror.

"Bingo!" Joey said, running over to the car. He stopped when he reached it. "Wait, we need the keys!" He said, panicking again.

"I've got that sorted," Yami said, pulling out a key for the car. Joey was confused. "I always carry a spare car key on me," Yami said, unlocking the boot. Joey sighed a breath of relief, and the boot opened revealing a worried looking Yugi. His face lit up when he saw Yami, and he jumped out in relief, grabbing the man in a bro hug.

Yami chuckled, "we missed you, too, Yug."

"I was getting worried that you guys wouldn't come," Yugi said, letting go of Yami and stepping back to look at both of them.

"Of course not," Joey said.

"We'd always come back for you," Yami said with a smile. "Now let's go, we have a penthouse waiting for us!" The three made their way out of the car park and carefully made their way through the 'staff only' corridors on the ground level. They had run into another staff member, but just explained that they had found Yugi wandering in the wrong direction, and were leading him back to the main part of the hotel. They finally made their way back up to the penthouse, and this time when the opened the door, they all looked inside with awe.

This was going to be a fun night.