To Mend A Broken Heart

Chapter 12 - Back To Square One

Yami walked across the rooftop where the pool was, and stopped at the railing, looking out over the city. It was still dark, and he just watched the glimmering lights of the buildings around him, trying to clear his head. He had managed to keep his mind off of Briana for most of the night, and had adopted Yugi's idea of thinking of somebody else instead. And who was he thinking about?

Yugi.

Not in a romantic way, he thought, he had just occupied his mind by thinking about how glad he was that he had Yugi as a friend. Whenever he thought of Briana he instead forced himself to think about all the good times that he and Yugi had had in the past couple of weeks, and it was working. Yugi seemed to be the perfect distraction, they had met because of Yami being upset over Briana, so what better than for him to be one to help Yami forget her?

Yugi had been great to him over the past couple of weeks, and Yami was very grateful for it. What confused Yami though, was why he had felt so flustered after falling on top of Yugi. He was his friend and nothing more so why did he react in such a way? He was quite confused. Yugi was quite attractive for a male, Yami thought, and he wondered why the boy didn't currently have a partner.

Yami shook his head, wondering why he was suddenly thinking such odd thoughts. Was it normal to think about how attractive your friend was? Of course, he was just making an observation, as any friend would. Yami was starting to get worried, after not hanging around any women in the past couple of weeks he must have lost some part of his mind.

He was interrupted from his thoughts when he heard footsteps behind him. He turned, to see Yugi approaching, a friendly smile on his face. How is he always so happy and carefree? Yami thought to himself. He realised that Yugi was forever upbeat about everything, never letting anything bother him. Apart from a few times when Yugi had acted quite strangely, he was always happy and not bothered by anything. The times he had been acting strangely though, he had tried his best to cover it and appear happy. How does he do that? Yami thought. He was never good at concealing his emotions, as Yugi and Joey had discovered in the past couple of weeks, when something bothers him this much he loses his strong, controlled nature and falls into a clumsy mess.

"Enjoying the view?" Yugi asked, joining Yami at the railing.

Yami nodded, "It is a great sight from up here," he agreed. He then looked over to Yugi, who was shaking out his arm. "I didn't crush you before, did I?" he asked.

Yugi laughed, "My arm feels dead but apart from that, no," he said. "And Joey is still sound asleep, I don't know how he does it."

Yami cracked a smile, "Yes, he's an odd one, our Joey."

Yugi laughed at Yami's phrase, our Joey. It had made it sound as if they were his parents. Trying to avoid thinking of him and Yami as a couple, Yugi turned and looked out at the city again.

Yami almost jumped when he felt a vibration in his pocket, and he realised he had fallen asleep with his phone still in his jeans again. He pulled it out, wondering who on earth would be texting him at this time of morning.

When he looked at the screen he just stared.

Yugi looked at him with a confused expression, "What is it?" he asked, "What's the matter?"

Yami stared at the phone in his hands, "It's her," he said.

Yugi didn't need to hear the name to know who he was talking about. He hesitated, but then said, "What does it say?"

Yami realised he had just been staring at the unopened message, so he pressed on the touch screen to read it.

Yami i'm really sorry for what i did, Austin is a jerk and i never want to see him again, please forgive me i need you :(

A wave of emotions hit Yami like a tidal wave, and he had to put his hand on the railing in front of him to steady himself. This was the last thing he had expected, and he had no idea what to think of it, let alone what to do about it. His heart ached at the last few words, as his old protectiveness over her surfaced, making him want to look after her like he had promised her he would so many times. But the other part of him-the more realistic part-reminded him of her phone call with Joey. Even if she was completely and utterly sorry and willing to start again with him, nothing could take back the weeks of pain he had been through because of her. He knew things would never be like they used to be, not after what had happened. He knew he still had feelings for her, heck he had been in love with her, but he had to push them aside and look at the reality of the situation, he couldn't let himself get dragged into that trap again. Never, he had told himself, would he fall in love again. And going back to Briana would only mean he would get hurt again. His conflicting thoughts clouded his head, and he could barely think straight.

Yugi watched Yami, feeling quite concerned; whatever was in that text message was obviously bothering him greatly. Yami finally threw the phone away from him, willing for his mind to shut up. It was like there were two different parts of him in a never ending conflict, and both sides were nagging at him. He just wanted to forget about this whole mess, and that text message had sent him straight back to square one. He put both hands on the railing in front of him, looking at the ground as he tried to clear his thoughts.

Yugi carefully walked over to where Yami's phone had landed, and picked it up, curiously looking at the screen. Upon reading the text message, he looked over at Yami, who was leaning over with his hands on the railing, looking at the ground.

Yugi carefully walked up next to him, "Are you alright?" he asked.

Yami was silent for a moment as he stared at the ground. All his old emotions were bubbling up to the surface, and he had tried so hard to push them all down up until this point, locking them away in the depths of his mind. But unfortunately, you can't keep everything locked away forever.

He sighed, "why won't it go away?" he mumbled.

Yugi was quite confused, "Why won't what go away?" he asked, still holding Yami's phone.

Yami shook his head, standing up straight again, "Everything, all of this," he gestured towards the phone. "I thought if I avoided her for long enough I'd be okay, but this has just..." he wasn't sure how to say 'fucked my head up' in a nice way, so he didn't.

Yugi smiled sympathetically at him, "come on, let's go back into the penthouse where it's warm and sort this out," he suggested. Yami sighed and nodded, and he followed Yugi back down the stairs. Yugi noticed this had brought back his clumsiness, as he almost tripped down the stairs quite a few times. Yugi grabbed his arm to steady him, finding it interesting that such events affected his motor skills. They walked into the kitchen and Yami sat down on one of the stools, putting his head in his hands, while Yugi walked over to the fridge.

"Do you want a glass of water?" he asked.

Yami nodded, not lifting his head up, "yes please," he said through his hands. Yugi fetched him some water and sat down next to Yami, watching him carefully.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Yugi asked after a moment.

Yami sighed, "I guess I should, otherwise it'll all just destroy me from the inside..." he said, lifting his head up to take a sip of the water. Yugi sat patiently as Yami thought about where to begin, and they spent the next half an hour sitting there as Yami spoke, revealing his nagging thoughts on the situation and how he had pushed it all down to try and forget about it.

Until now.