To Mend A Broken Heart

Chapter 13 - A Rude Awakening

"You shouldn't keep things bottled up like that," Yugi said to Yami, both of them now sitting on the couch in the centre of the penthouse. They had been talking for so long that the stools at the bench had become uncomfortable, so they had migrated here.

Yami sighed, "I know that now," he said, "I thought the best way to get over Briana and forget about all of it was to just push down all those terrible feelings and just lock it all up. I guess I was just trying to avoid facing it," he admitted.

Yugi nodded, "Sometimes you just have to face things head on, no matter how much you despise it," he said. Yami noticed something in his eyes that said Yugi had personal experience with this. "But don't worry, you have me and Joey, you don't have to do it alone," he smiled.

Yami smiled for the first time in hours, "Thank you, Yugi."

"Any time," Yugi said, "What are friends for?" he said, shrugging his shoulders.

Yami cracked a bigger smile, "Being the best," he said, before grabbing Yugi and pulling the boy towards him to ruffle his hair.

Yugi laughed, batting Yami's hands away from him, "Dammit Yami, you ruined my hair," he said, furrowing his eyebrows as he tried to look up to it.

Yami chuckled, "Your hair looks fine Yugi."

They continued to talk until it was almost sunrise, and eventually they both fell asleep there on the couch, only this time the couch was big enough to fit the both of them.

...

Yugi woke up to find that Yami had his arm slung over him. Confused, he sat up, noticing that before when they had fallen asleep Yami was far from where he was now. Had he moved all the way over here while he was sleeping? Odd. Yugi carefully lifted up Yami's arm and put it back by his side. As much as Yugi wished for Yami to intentionally do something like that, he was sure it was just a mistake. It was still amusing none the less. Yugi was about to move to the opposite part of the couch where Yami had previously been, when Yami started mumbling something.

"Yugi..." he said dreamily, hugging the couch pillow. Yugi stopped and stared, not believing what he had just heard. This must be a mistake, it had to be. Yami would never have romantic feelings towards Yugi, and he knew that very well. So what was going on? He decided to wake the man up to see what was going on.

"Yami," he said, nudging him, "Yami, wake up." The man groaned and slowly opened his eyes, not seeming bothered by the fact that he had moved all the way over next to Yugi.

"What's the matter?" Yami asked, rubbing his eyes.

"What...what were you just dreaming about?" Yugi asked him.

Yami didn't hesitate to answer, "Why you of course," he said with a coy smile.

"You...what?" Yugi couldn't believe what he was hearing, "What do you mean?"

"Isn't it obvious?" Yami said, sitting up to look into Yugi's eyes, "I've had feelings for you for quite some time, it's only natural that I should dream about you."

Yugi wasn't quite sure what was going on, but he couldn't say that he didn't like it. Without another word, Yami leaned in towards him to plant a soft, gentle kiss on Yugi's lips.


THUMP!

Quite startled, Yugi woke to the feeling of hitting the cold tiled floor. The surprise sent him into a mini freak attack, and he scrambled into a sitting position. He had fallen off the couch. He looked around, Yami was still sleeping in the same place he had been when they had fallen asleep, and there was morning light filtering in through the windows.

Yugi sighed, "It was just a dream," he said to himself. "Geez, I wish my mind didn't do that to me," he said, running his hands through his hair as he tried to calm his breathing from the being so rudely woken. "What a weird dream though."

"Everything alright?" Yami asked. Yugi almost jumped ten feet in the air, he had not realised that Yami had woken. Upon noticing Yugi's startled expression, Yami chuckled, "It's okay, it's just me. What was so weird about your dream?" he asked curiously.

Yugi stumbled over words to use, "Um, it was just, I dunno, weird," he said, scratching his head awkwardly.

Yami gave him an odd look, "Yugi, you're blushing," he said. "That doesn't indicate that you were having such a weird dream," he said with a smirk.

This only made Yugi blush even more, "That's irrelevant," he said, trying to move the conversation away from his dream. He looked at the clock, it was just past 10am. "Shit!" he exclaimed, scrambling to his feet, "I have to go!" he started to run in circles around the penthouse, gathering up his stuff.

"What do you mean?" Yami asked, sitting up. "Why are you in such a rush?"

Yugi quickly pulled his shirt on, "There's somewhere I have to be," he said, before dumping his feet into his shoes.

"Do you want me to drive you?" Yami asked, standing up. Yugi tried to avoid looking at Yami as he was still in his underwear from the previous nights events. It only brought back thoughts from his dream and the idea of something that could never be.

"No, no, it's fine, I can walk," Yugi said, looking quite flustered as he grabbed his jacket and back pack and ran for the door. "Thanks for letting me stay Yami!" he said, before disappearing out the front door of the penthouse. Yami just stood there looking dumb founded. Yugi's behaviour was odd to say the least, and Yami didn't have a clue why. Whatever he was going to must have been pretty important, so why didn't he mention it before?

Joey had obviously woken from the commotion. "What's going on?" he asked, emerging from the bedroom with a severe case of bed hair, "Where'd you guys go?"

Yami sat back down on the couch, "Well you pushed Yugi and I out of bed so we crashed out here," he said, "But he just woke up and left in a frantic state, apparently he has to be somewhere, but he didn't want me to drive him even though he's already late."

Joey was quite confused, "That's weird," he said, "he never mentioned anything to me about having to be somewhere today." He walked over and sat down on the couch next to Yami. "Where do you think he went?" Joey asked.

Yami shrugged and shook his head, "I don't know, but he seemed pretty flustered."

...

Yugi quickly ran down the unfamiliar street, holding a crumpled piece of paper in his hand. On it were some crudely scribbled letters and numbers, resembling an address. This didn't look like a very nice neighborhood, but he wasn't surprised, considering where he was going. He finally matched the address on the slip of paper with one of the buildings, and nervously tapped on the front door. He looked around, there was graffiti all over the fences and bins, and the lawn hadn't been mowed in weeks by the looks of it. He tried to calm his breathing so as not to look so nervous. Once this was all over, he would never have to come here again. He just had to be brave for the moment, despite how much this scared him. But what else could he do? He had ran out of options, and this was his last resort. He couldn't let his grandpa down, not now and not ever. The door swung open revealing a tall, gruff man, who looked down at the boy with a smirk.

"Well, if it isn't little Yugi," he said roughly, "You're late."