To Mend A Broken Heart

Chapter 14 - An Unexpected Visitor

Yugi's behaviour back at the hotel seemed to be a one-off, Yami thought, as after that he was back to his usual self, and had apologised for rushing out so quickly. Yami noticed that after the hotel, Yugi didn't ever seem nervous or worried about anything as he had noticed a few times before. The unease Yugi had been trying to hide previously was now completely gone, and Yami had almost forgotten about it. As for Yami, since he had gotten everything off of his chest back at the hotel, he was finding it easier to get over Briana. Yes he still had feelings for her, but each time he thought of her now he didn't feel a pain in his chest at all (which was previously caused by him bottling everything up). He was still upset about the whole thing, but he could deal with it, and he was getting over it thanks to Yugi and Joey. He had also noticed that his friendship with Yugi was now closer than that of him and Joey, but he liked that. There was something about Yugi that put him at ease, the boy just radiated happiness. It was hard not to be happy around him, really, and being with Yugi always made Yami happy. He now always looked forward to when they'd hang out, usually after Yami's uni classes and they'd then stay at Yugi's house as his Grandpa still wasn't out of hospital yet. Yami also noticed that he was observing Yugi more closely without previously realising it. This being the particular way that he dressed, which was much similar to Yami's style of clothing, the way that his eyes lit up whenever he laughed, and the cute look of concentration he had when playing Duel Monsters. Yami always smiled in amusement whenever he watched Yugi think of a strategy against him.

It was these small things however, which had Yami quite confused. His feelings towards Yugi felt like they were different to that of a normal friend's, but he couldn't understand why. He cared for Yugi deeply, but it felt different to the way he cared for Joey for example. It was quite puzzling to him and he couldn't figure out why he was so smitten with Yugi. The boy had become his favourite person, he couldn't deny that, but he was constantly assessing his thoughts towards Yugi and why it felt so different to any other friend he'd ever had. It was quite challenging to do.

It was now a few weeks on from their hotel trip, and Yami was in his apartment by himself, having just gotten home from uni. He was in the kitchen making lunch, anticipating a visit from Yugi any minute. He had some music playing on the stereo at a moderate volume, so when he thought he heard some odd noises he couldn't have been sure. At first he thought he had heard the front door open, but when he looked over his shoulder nobody was walking out of the entryway, so he assumed he must have just been hearing things. He turned his back to the door and continued making his lunch. He had started to quietly sing along to the songs, so he could have never heard the person sneaking up behind him. What he did hear however, was the sound of someone accidentally kicking the mouse trap that was on the floor. Confused, he turned around, only to be caught in shock by the feeling of a pair of lips pressed against his. Even with his eyes wide, he couldn't tell who it was, as all he could see was a blur of closed eye lids. What he did know however, was that it was a girl.

Yugi was currently making his way along Yami's street, whistling to himself as he went. He was in a particularly happy mood today (even happier than usual, which could be hard to believe he could get even more cheerful). He and Yami were going to visit his grandpa today, who was now booked in to go into surgery soon. After so many long and painful weeks, his grandpa was finally going to be able to walk again. Solomon meant a lot to Yugi, having been raised by him and looked after him for many years, and now he was the only family Yugi had left. It was no surprise the lengths Yugi would go to to help his grandpa, and as long as Solomon lived, the man was never going to know what those lengths were, as he surely wouldn't approve of them. Yugi was proud of himself though, he had managed to bite down his fears and some of his morals in order to achieve what had seemed like the impossible only weeks ago. And he had done it all by himself, with no help from anybody. This just proved how much Yugi had grown since he had left school, he was becoming a man and he was more confident in himself, knowing that he could accomplish almost anything now. There was just one more thing he had to do, then this whole mess would be over and he wouldn't have to worry about any of it ever again. He was quite confident that he would be able to do it too, he had almost reached his goal and once he had done that he would be in the clear.

He walked up the front steps of Yami's apartment with a sense of relief, and not missing the usual smile he held, he opened the door and walked in. What he was confronted with when he entered however was far from anything he had expected. He stopped in his tracks and stared wide eyed across the room to the kitchen, where Yami was currently locking lips with an unfamiliar girl. Yugi felt a hot flush go through him, whether in jealousy or embarrassment on walking in on them he wasn't sure. As soon as he had seen it though, he turned on his heel and walked out the door swiftly. He stopped on the stairs outside of Yami's apartment, not quite sure how to feel. He knew he had feelings for Yami, and he knew that Yami was straight and that he'd never have a chance with him, so why did that scene bother him so much? He'd accepted the fact that Yami could never be his, but it still pained Yugi to see him with someone else. It didn't matter anyway, Yami could do whatever and be with whoever he wanted, nothing was stopping him.

It was probably better that way though, Yugi thought, because that would eventually convince him that thinking about Yami would be a waste of time, as the other would never think of him as more than a friend. Yugi sighed, and was about to turn to leave, when he heard something from inside the apartment.

"What the hell are you doing?" It was Yami's voice, and upon hearing it, Yugi ran back up the steps and pressed his ear against the screen door to listen.

A few moments after the girl had kissed Yami, he had recognised the familiarity of her lips, and realised it was Briana. For a split second he had to admit, he did kiss back, as all the old memories of them together flooded his mind, almost bringing back the old sense of security he had with her. Then he had realised what he was doing, and pushed her off of him, demanding what the hell she was doing.

Briana regained her composure after being pushed backwards, "Didn't you get any of my text messages?" she asked.

"For a matter of fact, I have," Yami said, not pleased by her presence. "All 300 of them."

"Then what's your answer?" she asked, stepping closer to him to place her hand on his chest. He had to fight off the part of him that longed for the past, knowing that it would be a terrible idea.

He pushed her hand away from him, "The answer is no," he said with finality. "What makes you think you can suddenly show up after all this time and expect me to forgive you?" he asked.

"Well," she stuttered, "I just, I miss you," she said, staring into his eyes. "I know what I did was wrong, I realise that, but Austin is a complete jerk and I never should have trusted him," she said. She was almost pleading with him now. "Please Yami, I can't stand being away from you," she begged.

"Well you should have thought of that before you slept with him," Yami retorted.

"I told you I'm sorry-"

"Yeah well sorry doesn't fix the weeks it's taken me to get over you, I almost destroyed myself and my apartment because of you," he said, his arms now folded across his chest. As he said that she noticed the feint scars on his hands, backing up what he had just said. "Nothing can take back the pain you put me through, and I'm not going to let it happen again," he said harshly.

Briana then took a step back, folding her arms also, "then why did you kiss me back?" she demanded.

He unfolded his arms, and decided to be honest with her, "Because I do still have feelings for you and there is a part of me who wants what we used to have," he explained, "but I pushed you away because that was what we used to have, and it'll never be like that again. Besides, I've come so far from you now and I'm happy where I am. I've made a best friend from this whole experience and he means more to me than you ever will. I'm done with you, Bri."

Yami could tell she was angry. She looked beyond angry, but he didn't care, he was proud of himself for what he had just said, and he'd say it again to her face if he had to. Briana's response however was to bring the palm of her hand across his cheek in a slap that would have made him stumble backwards if the kitchen bench had not been behind him. His eyes widened as he brought his hand up to his cheek, where a burning red mark was now forming.

"Dick," Briana spat, before turning on her heel and storming out of the apartment.