To Mend A Broken Heart

Chapter 15 - Revelation

Yami was left standing in the kitchen with his hand against his cheek where Briana had just slapped him. It stung, but that wasn't what he was thinking about. He was a bit confused about her kiss. He had kissed her so many times before, but this time it had felt completely different. Even though he still had feelings for her and there was a part of him that still wanted her, the feeling of kissing her hadn't given him any pleasure at all. This made him think that perhaps he didn't have feelings for her anymore, and was just assuming that he did as he still thought about her often. He wasn't sure. The kiss had felt weird, as if he wasn't interested in it in any way. But he would have thought that he'd always be interested in kissing a girl, even if it was his ex. He stared towards the front door where Bri had just disappeared, feeling quite confused.

Yugi had been standing outside the front door listening the whole time, and he had felt relieved at Yami's response to Briana. He didn't know what he would have done if they had gotten back together. Yugi didn't know Bri at all, but he imagined that he would just get shut out, and that was the last thing he wanted. He was also very happy when he heard Yami say 'he means more to me than you ever will'. It was kind of a given, but it still gave Yugi butterflies hearing it, and he had a cute little grin on his face as he stood outside the door. Yugi was surprised when Briana then stormed out the front door, not even sparing him a glance as she made her way down the stairs and then out of sight. She did not look happy at all.

Geez, he thought, Yami's ex is nuts. He turned back to the door and walked in, before spotting Yami standing in the place he had been before. He was staring at the door where Yugi had just emerged from, with his hand held up to his cheek where Briana had slapped him.

Yami was surprised to see Yugi walk through the door just after Briana had left, and he assumed he must have heard at least part of what had just happened. What he realised though, was that upon seeing Yugi, he smiled and felt a sense of happiness flow through him. Yugi always did that to him, his cheerfulness was contagious almost. Yami could think of nothing else in that moment but how happy he was to see Yugi. And it was in that split second when he smiled at Yugi that Yami realised something.

Could I actually have feelings for Yugi? He thought, Could this be why I've been feeling different towards him than any other friend?

Yami stood there, staring at his best friend, and realised that the thought of being with Yugi romantically interested him more than that of being with Briana, or any other girl for that matter.

Oh dear, he thought, I think I have a crush on my best friend. And it's a male!

Yugi walked over to the kitchen where Yami was, intrigued by his facial expression. He appeared to be deep in thought, and as Yugi watched him carefully, he noticed the angry red mark on Yami's cheek.

"Are you okay?" Yugi asked him.

Yami's eyes focused on Yugi again, and he smiled. "Yes, I'm great actually."

...

As Yami drove Yugi to the hospital later that day, Yugi was filling him in on his grandpa's condition. He explained how He'd finally be able to get his hip replacement, and it had been threatening his ability to walk. If Yugi's grandpa had been unable to walk, it would have been disastrous for Yugi and the game shop, so he was very relieved that his grandpa would be okay in a matter of weeks.

"When is he going to have the operation?" Yami asked.

Yugi thought for a moment, "well there's a bit of a list, so I think it's in about a month," he said.

"That long?" Yami asked as they approached the hospital.

Yugi nodded, "He's booked in for it but he still has to wait a while, but it's okay, at least he'll be all better soon."

Yami nodded, "yes that's very good indeed." They reached the hospital and after spending ten minutes trying to find a parking spot, they walked in the door and headed for Solomon's room. Yugi had visited enough times that he knew how to get to his grandpa's room with his eyes closed if he had to. They reached the room and Yugi poked his head in, hoping his grandpa wasn't in the middle of a nap. Yami stood back, politely waiting to be invited in.

"Yugi!" the old man cheered, "how are you my boy?" Yugi smiled and walked in, signaling for Yami to follow. Yami was surprised at how bright and cheerful the old man was, and he assumed that was where Yugi got his attitude from. What a delightful family Yugi must have had, he thought. He felt sorry for the boy as his grandpa was the only family he had left.

"I'm pretty good gramps," Yugi said, "how are you feeling?" he asked.

"Well, I've been better," he said, "but I'll be even better soon thanks to you," he said with a chuckle. Yami stepped over next to Yugi, unable to stop himself from smiling at the scene. He didn't have the kind of relationship with his family that Yugi had with his grandpa, it was quite special he thought.

Solomon then noticed Yami, "Why hello, you must be Yami," he said with a cheerful smile, "I've heard a lot about you," he winked at the man.

Yugi laughed nervously, "Uh, that's quite enough gramps."

Yami was slightly surprised at the old man's approach, but he just chuckled. "It's nice to meet you Mr Mutou."

"Oh please," the old man waved a carefree hand at him, "call me grandpa, everyone else does anyway." Yugi laughed, remembering the way in which Joey interacted with the old man, it was usually quite amusing. "I heard that you almost ended up in here yourself," Yugi's grandpa continued, "You can never be too careful you know."

Yami chuckled, remembering the incident involving a lightbulb and a computer chair. "Yes, well I'm a bit smarter with those sorts of things now," he admitted.

"Good," the old man said, "I'm sure Yugi doesn't want you needing a hip replacement as well," he laughed.

Yami chuckled, looking over to Yugi, "Indeed."