To Mend A Broken Heart

Chapter 18 - Collection Night

Love.

What a foolish mistake, Yami had thought. To let himself fall into such a trap only for his heart to be torn to pieces. He had promised himself that he would never let that happen again, never let such a foolish mistake cause him such heartache as it did before. This had seemed like a simple task, all he needed to do was stay away from women, and he would be fine. Well, that's exactly what he did and he still found himself struggling to keep his promise. He had not bothered to worry about the feelings he had for Yugi, as it had just been an innocent crush. Now however, these feelings were threatening to tear down everything he had built up over the past couple of months. He now found it hard to control his thoughts, as the boy occupied his mind almost all of the time, but he refused to believe that he could be falling for Yugi.

No, I can't let that happen, he would think to himself. Love will only destroy you, I can't let these feeling for Yugi get out of hand.

But it was too late, for they already had. Yami was just too stubborn to admit it. Fighting off these feeling he had for Yugi however was very strenuous, and his persistence in the matter was wearing thin. Just how long would he be able to push away his feelings before he realised he was already head over heels? He was too afraid to think about it. He didn't want to get hurt again, but feeling this way towards someone reminded him of how wonderful love was. No, I am not in love!

He could almost hear a nagging voice in the back of his head disagreeing with every thought he had. He thought he must be going crazy. He looked over to the bookshelf that sat next to the TV cabinet. Sitting on top of the small structure, was a photo of Joey, Yugi and himself that they had taken while they were at the hotel. The three of them were smiling brightly as they had their arms over each other's shoulders. Yami remembered that they had just finished laughing over Joey's impression of Seto Kaiba, the billionaire CEO in charge of Kaiba Corp. Yami looked very happy in the photo as he stood next to a grinning Yugi, his arm lightly slung around the boy's shoulders. Yami simply stared at the photo, admiring Yugi's smile. It was that smile and bright attitude that had helped him get over his ex girlfriend, and he would forever be grateful for Yugi's efforts.

It was also that night of which the photo was taken that Yami had opened up to Yugi about bottling all of his emotions up, as he tried to get over Briana, but in doing that it almost destroyed him. He thought back to the night, how encouraging and supportive Yugi had been. Well, Yugi has always been like that, and Yami couldn't ask for a better friend. Thinking of the word friendship, Yami silently wished that they could have something more. Even if I was in love with him-which I'm not-I would never have the guts to make the first move, he thought to himself. Although he knew that Yugi was interested in men, he was far too scared to act on those feelings because it seemed like a whole new game compared to what he was used to. The idea of making the first move made him more nervous than any girl ever had. He told himself that it was because he'd never had feelings for another male before, and therefore it was better to stay quiet about it. Anyway, just because Yugi was interested in men didn't mean that he would automatically feel the same way.

Yami stared at the version of himself that was frozen in time. "Don't look at me like that," he said, pointing at the photo with a glare. "I know what you're going to say. And no, I am not in lo-"

He was interrupted when his phone started vibrating in his pocket, blaring out a familiar tune that he recognised as his ringtone. He finished glaring at the photo to pull his phone out of his pocket, and his heart fluttered when he looked at the caller.

Damn these god damn feelings, he thought to himself, before he answered the phone. "Hey Yugi," he said with an even voice. "What's up?"

"Yami," Yugi said cheerfully through the phone, "Are you still up for the movies tomorrow?" Yami was relieved to hear the sound of Yugi's voice again, although it had only been a day since they had seen each other. He mentally cursed at himself for being so pathetic.

"Of course," he replied, "I've been waiting for Fast and Furious 6 for ages!" he said eagerly.

Yugi laughed on the other end, "Sweet, I'll meet you at yours tomorrow morning then?"

"Sounds good," Yami said with a grin.

"Awesome," Yugi said, "Well I should probably start closing up the game shop," he said, he had only intended it to be a quick conversation considering what he had to do tonight.

"Are you sure you don't want me to come help close up?" Yami asked. He had helped Yugi many times before, as it made the job twice as fast.

"No, no, it's fine," Yugi said a little too fast. "I can do it fine on my own." This surprised Yami. Normally Yugi would be happy for Yami to help him, he'd never turned down an offer like that before, even if Yami was just suggesting company. This evening however, Yugi seemed quite insistent that Yami not come over, for whatever reason. He was quite confused. Maybe it had something to do with whatever he was hiding? Yami knew for a fact that Yugi had been quite stressed lately, but Yugi had just brushed it off whenever Yami mentioned it, saying that managing the game shop was just a bit demanding. Though it may be true, Yugi seemed very concerned with how much money the Game Shop was earning him each day. Yami had voiced his concern to Joey, who explained that Yugi had never bothered about the game shop's earnings before, and seems Yugi had already paid for his grandpa's operation, Yami couldn't understand why it was so important.

Yami could hear some rustling on Yugi's end. "Are you sure?" he asked. "You know it's no problem for me to come over," he urged.

"No, don't, it's fine," Yugi said, much to Yami's suspicion. Yami then heard Yugi gasp.

"What's the matter?" Yami asked, sitting up.

"It's gone," Yugi breathed, though it was meant to be to himself, he had temporarily forgotten that he was on the phone.

"What's gone?" Yami asked, becoming worried about Yugi's behaviour. The boy didn't answer him however and all Yami heard on the other end was the sound of things being thrown around, followed by some very colourful language. "Yugi, what's going on?" he asked. "Is everything alright?"

Yugi now sounded beyond stressed, and Yami heard his rasped breathing as the boy put the phone back up to his ear, "I have to go," he said, sounding like he was in a rush.

"Wait a minute," Yami said, trying to keep Yugi on the phone so he could get some answers. "What's going on? Why are you so stressed?"

"I can't tell you," Yugi replied, sounding very nervous, still throwing things around.
"Please Yugi," Yami begged, "I can help you." Yugi literally had him on the edge of his seat, now filled with worry for his friend.

"No, you can't," Yugi said. "Just stay at home, I'll be fine," Yugi said forcefully. Yami wasn't sure what to say to that, it was the most dominant Yugi had ever sounded, as if what he said was final and nothing could change his mind. Yami was still determined to figure this out though. Before he could reply, he heard a loud banging on Yugi's front door through the phone. Yugi let out a shriek and dropped the phone in surprise, and all Yami heard was a crash as the phone hit the ground.

"Yugi?!" Yami cried into the phone. "Yugi are you alright?" He heard the sound of more things being knocked over then. "Yugi I'm-"

Yami was cut off as Yugi picked up the phone again, sounding almost terrified but still forceful at the same time, "stay at home Yami. I'll be fine, and I'll explain everything later." With that, he hung up. Yami was left staring open mouthed at the space in front of him as he heard the beeping in his ear indicating that the other end had hung up. Without a second thought, Yami stood up and grabbed his keys before running to the door and bursting out into the brisk, evening breeze.

The words that Yami would have said in their conversation had Yugi not interrupted him floated through his head.

Yugi, I'm coming over, hang in there.