To Mend A Broken Heart

Chapter 19 - Time's Up

Slowly and carefully, Yugi reached a shaking hand towards the door handle, and with an audible gulp, he opened the front door the smallest inch to see who it was that was outside.

"Why hello there little Yugi," Allister said with a wicked grin. Yugi wasn't very scared of Allister like he was the rest of the gang. Allister was merely a piece of gum on their shoes, their messenger and little rookie to boss around. Yugi let out a relieved breath. "I believe you have something for me," Allister said, holding his hand out expectantly.

Yugi started sweating again when he realised why he had been so terrified in the first place, "Um, yes. Well, about that..." he scratched the back of his neck with a shaking hand, trying to figure out how to say it.

Allister stepped back in mock surprise, "Are you trying to tell me you don't have it?" he asked.

Yugi nervously fiddled with the phone in his hands, "well, it's kind of a long story-"

Allister interrupted him, "I don't have time for stories runt, do you have it or not?" he demanded.

Yugi sighed, dropping his head, "No, I don't," he said, before quickly adding, "But I did! I had all of it I swear! But it's gone missing!" He looked up at Allister with pleading eyes, "please give me another chance! I just need a little more time and I'll get it all for you! More if you need!" he begged the taller boy.

"Sorry Yugi," Allister said with a displeasing look, "We already gave you more time. And time is up." Yugi's face turned from a pleading look to one of sheer horror. He knew what would happen next. "And you know what that means," Allister sang as he turned to leave. "You're going to have more than one hospital bill to pay soon, runt," Allister said over his shoulder as he walked away, a wicked grin on his face. Yugi could hear the boy's laughter in the distance even after he closed the door, locking it tightly. Yugi stared at the empty space in front of him, feeling nothing but sheer terror. If he didn't find what they wanted soon, he was done for.

Yami cursed as he ran out into the street, realising that his car wasn't there. He had forgotten that it was currently at the auto shop getting the air conditioning fixed. He let out a frustrated noise before he turned and ran down the street. His stylish formal shoes tapped on the concrete path vigorously as he ran, and as he felt the cool night air whip past him, he wished he had stopped to think about grabbing a jacket. These thoughts were only in his mind temporarily though, as his concern for Yugi set in once again. He picked up his pace, hoping that the usual 10 minute walk to Yugi's house was much shorter at the pace he was currently running at. He ran across several intersections, ignoring the red pedestrian sign and only just missing being cleaned up by incoming traffic. His heart was beating heavily in his chest, and he wasn't sure if it was from almost being potentially killed moments ago or from his worry over Yugi. Or it could just be the vigorous running, he wasn't sure. Within minutes, he saw the game shop sign sticking up in the distance, despite how dark it had become outside, and he picked up his pace again, sprinting towards the house.

Yami hoped that Yugi hadn't gotten himself in any kind of serious trouble, but he had sounded almost terrified on the phone. Yami clenched his fists as he ran down the street towards the game shop, hating the idea that his friend was in such a state. And Yugi hadn't told him a thing. Yami finally closed in on the game shop, and skidded to a stop in front of the door, peering inside to see if he could see Yugi. He couldn't see anything, so he tried the door. Locked. Yami resorted to banging on the door, calling out for Yugi to let him in. Unfortunately though, there was no reply. With a frustrated growl Yami stepped back, trying to think of another way into the house. He ran around the outside of the building until he was standing below Yugi's bedroom. The window was wide open.

While wishing he had been wearing more suitable shoes, Yami approached the air conditioning unit sitting against the wall of the house. He jumped on top of it, and pulled himself up onto the roof of the first level. Without a second thought, he made his way across the roof to Yugi's bedroom window and attempted to climb in. On his way in however, his foot caught on the window, and he practically tumbled into Yugi's bedroom, knocking over the lamp was next to the window. Yami groaned as he tried to gather himself up, and he could hear heavy foot steps running through the house, and the sound of various things being moved from their places. He could only faintly hear the voice that he cherished so much.

"No, no, no, no, where is it?!" the boy sounded more distressed than Yami could ever imagine. Yugi was always so happy and carefree, so what was it that had him so on edge? Yami stood up again, but instead of needing to go look for Yugi, the boy found him first. He ran into the room, looking disheveled and petrified. Sweat was dripping from his forehead as he had a look of such anxiousness. Yami just wanted to hug him and tell him that everything would be okay. But Yami had to know what was going on before he could say it would all be fine.

When Yugi noticed Yami he almost jumped out of his skin, "Yami!" the boy shrieked, skidding to a halt in front of the man. He looked even more paranoid now, "What are you doing here?!"

"Yugi, I was worried about you," he said, walking over to the boy with a look of concern.

Yugi stepped back from him, "You can't be here!" he said. "You must leave!" Yami had never seen such a hurtful expression on the boy's face, and in that second he thought to himself, this is why love destroys you, Yugi's just going to push me away. He stayed persistent though, determined to figure out what was going on.

"Yugi, I'm not leaving until you tell me what's wrong," he said, taking another step towards the boy. Yugi was in the worst state that Yami had ever seen, but he still looked just as amazing in the man's eyes. Yugi was now backed into a corner of his bedroom, as Yami tried to get closer to try and comfort him.

No, this can't happen, Yugi thought, Yami needs to get out of here, I never wanted him to be dragged into this too! "I'll explain it all to you later," Yugi said, pressing himself against the wall, "just please leave!"

Yugi's words hurt Yami, but his determination to help the boy was just as strong as ever. He took another step towards Yugi, with a careful hand out, and in that moment Yugi made a run for it, attempting to escape from his bedroom. Yami was quicker however, and he managed to grab Yugi's arm before he could make it out of the room. Yugi let out a yelp of frustration and struggled against Yami's grip. Yami was too strong however, and he pulled Yugi towards him, wrapping his arms around the boy's waist from behind.

Yugi struggled against the part of him that wanted to melt into Yami's arms, and he squirmed in the man's grip. "Please, let me go," Yugi begged, "I need to do this on my own." As he grew tired, his tries to get away became more and more half hearted. Yugi sighed, slumping his shoulders and dropping his head, at a last attempt to get through to Yami. "I can't let you get dragged into this too..." he said.

Yami leaned forward to speak gently into the boy's ear, "Yugi, you're my best friend, I can't stand seeing you so distressed. You've done so much for me over the past couple of months, now let me do something for you. Please, let me help you."

Yugi shivered at the feeling of Yami's lips so close to his ear, but he just sighed in defeat. "It's too late Yami," he said miserably, "There's nothing you can do to help me now..."

Yami was confused, "What do you mean it's too late?" he asked, tightening his arms around Yugi protectively.

"I mean that any second now, there's going to be-" Yugi was cut off by a rapid banging on the front door. He sucked in a ragged breath, and Yami felt him tense. "They're here," he breathed, sweat dripping down his forehead.

"Who's here?" Yami asked, "What's going on?"

Yugi tried to get out of Yami's arms again, "If you have any sort of sense Yami, you will run. Now."