To Mend A Broken Heart

Chapter 2 - The Lovely Stranger

Yugi was slowly making his way back home, after one of the most terrifying experiences of his life. He had no choice though, his Grandpa needed his help and he wasn't going to let him down, no matter what. He had to admit, the experience didn't turn out as bad as he originally thought, but he stilled wished that it didn't need to come to this, but he had no other option.

He wrapped his jacket around himself as he walked, the nights were starting to get colder as it was getting closer to winter. He dreaded coming home to the cold, empty house, but he had to deal with it and keep moving forwards, otherwise he and his grandpa wouldn't get anywhere. He reached the park and walked over to the carefully lit pathway so that he could actually see where he was going. This park was quite big, home to a large lake that sat in the middle of it. During the day it would be filled with ducks and other wildlife, but now as Yugi looked down into the water, he saw nothing but his own reflection in the dark surface.

Something interrupted the view of his face in the water however. Confused, Yugi noticed a flower petal floating by. As there were no flowers near the lake, Yugi was quite bewildered. He noticed there were a trail of petals floating through the water towards him, and his eyes followed the trail until he looked up and saw a figure standing at the lake just ahead of him. In front of the man, a large bouquet of flowers sat in the lake, left to slowly float away and disintegrate in the water. This intrigued Yugi, and he watched as the man turned around, with one hand balled into a fist, and a small box in the other. With a cry of rage, he threw the box at a nearby tree, and it broke open, as a shower of small wrapped objects busted out of it and fell to the ground.

Was that a box of chocolates? Yugi thought to himself.

Trembling, the man then fell to his knees, and started punching the ground in front of him with both hands, one after the other. Once his spell of rage had passed however, he sat back and pulled his knees up to his chest, as his body trembled. Yugi could only just hear the sobs coming from his lips.

He felt terribly sorry for the man, and would hate to see anybody in such a state. So, thanks to his good nature, Yugi sighed and slowly walked over to the stranger. He had his bead buried in his knees, and as Yugi carefully approached the man and sat next to him, he looked up, confused.

"Hey, are you alright?" Yugi asked him.

Yami tried to wipe his eyes to clear his vision, but to no prevail, so he just said, "Why do you care, you're a stranger," he retorted.

Yugi was surprised by his tone. He took in the features of the strange man. He was slim, but very well built, and he could see where the man's jacket hugged his biceps. His face was strong and bold, but elegant at the same, and Yugi thought that a person such as he could never look as vulnerable as he did right now.

Yugi shrugged, "I don't like seeing people upset."

"Well then maybe you should leave," Yami said none too kindly. There was no way he would cheer up soon, so there was no point in the kid being there if he didn't like seeing people upset.

Yugi watched as the man stared out at the lake, tears still streaming down his face. Well, it was worth a try, he thought. "Alright, fine," he said with a sigh, "I was just trying to help." He stood up, "I'll leave you to your sorrow then..." he turned to leave, and Yami scolded himself for being so rude.

"No, wait." Yugi stopped, turning back to him. Yami looked out in front of him as he spoke. "Stay, please. It'd be nice to have some company."

Smiling sympathetically at the man's back, Yugi walked back over, sitting next to him again.

"I'm sorry," Yami said, "I understand you're trying to be nice, I'm just angry and confused and upset and I just..." he trailed off, and then sighed. "I don't know what to believe anymore." He finally wiped the last of his tears away, content that he'd cried enough for one evening. He was very glad for the presence of the lovely stranger, otherwise he would have felt alone, and may not have been able to stop the tears from falling. He didn't feel like much of a man right now, and he guessed that at this point, everything Austin ever said about him was probably true. I'm just a weak, useless, pathetic excuse for a boyfriend. Why else would Bri do that to me? I mustn't be good enough.

"Well what is it that's made you so upset?" Yugi asked.

Yami sighed, not wanting to recount the events prior. As he thought back to that moment when he walked into Briana's room, his chest tightened.

"Sometimes it helps to talk about it," Yugi added. This was quite true, Yami realised. He also knew that it was easier when the person you're talking to is a stranger, so this was perfect.

He sighed, looking down into the water in front of him, "I just walked in on my girlfriend having sex with another man." Each word felt like a dagger in his chest, and he grabbed his shirt just over his heart, willing the pain to go away.

Yugi's eyes widened, "Ouch."

"Yeah," Yami said miserably, "What makes it worse is the guy is a complete asshole," he picked up a stone and threw it into the lake as he spoke.

"Did you know him?" Yugi asked.

Yami nodded, "And he's known her longer than I have. He's an old friend of hers from school, but he was always a dick to me. I guess now I think I know why."

"You think he just wanted her for himself?" Yugi asked.

"I don't know," Yami said with a shrug, "But he was always telling Briana how I wasn't good enough for her, and I guess she finally realised that."

"Oh come on, don't tell me you're going to believe that," Yugi said, sitting back so he was leaning on his arms casually.

Yami was surprised by the boy's reply, "What do you mean?"

"Well, I don't know anything about your relationship, but you had flowers and chocolates for her just then didn't you?" Yami nodded. "Isn't that what every girl wants?"

Yami sighed and shook his head, the hint of a smile on the edge of his lips. "You obviously haven't been in a relationship before," he said, finally relaxing a bit. He released his arms from around his knees and mirrored Yugi, sitting back with his arms supporting him.

"For a matter of fact I have," Yugi said. He hesitated, but then added, "Though not with a girl, so I wouldn't know."

Yami was quite surprised to hear this, but he chuckled, "I see. Well girls are quite hard to please, I'm afraid. Then again, I don't know what it's like to date a man."

"Then we're even," Yugi said. He then looked at his watch, "Oops, I have to get going," he said, getting up. "I hope you're feeling better," he said with a smile.

Yami returned the smile, "I am, thank you." Yugi smiled and turned to leave. "Hey, wait!" Yami called out. The boy stopped and turned back to him. "Can I know your name?"

"Call me Yugi," he said with a smile, before turning and heading off into the shadows.

Yugi...Yami thought, I think I just met the nicest person on the planet.