To Mend A Broken Heart

Chapter 4 - Picking Up The Pieces

Yami stood leaning against the wall, a strained expression on his face. Joey sighed, and threw his phone into the bed, not quite sure what to say.

"Come on buddy," Joey said after a moment of silence, "I'll make you some pancakes and we can clean this mess up, huh?"

Yami attempted a smile, but nodded, and started to trudge out of his room, walking bare footed over the broken glass.

"Whoa," Joey said, "Careful, you're gonna cut yourself if you do that."

Yami shrugged, "So be it."

Joey sighed, he felt sorry for Yami, and although it was difficult, he had to keep persisting, because he didn't have anybody else. Joey was the only friend that Yami had. He was the first person he met at uni, and seems he was with Bri all the time, he hadn't made the effort to make any other friends. Joey wished he had, cause trying to cheer him up all on his own would be a hard task. Joey followed him out and as Yami dumped himself on the couch, Joey walked into the kitchen, looking through the cupboards.

"Why do you have like, no food?" he asked, turning around to look at Yami on the couch.

Yami shrugged, "Haven't gone shopping."

"Well that helps," Joey said sarcastically. He continued to look through the cupboard, "Bingo, pancake mix," he pulled it out and started making 'chef Joey' jokes as he turned the kitchen into a pancake mess. "Coffee?" he asked Yami, pointing to his small coffee machine on the bench.

"That sounds like a good idea," Yami said, standing up and heading over to make himself a mug. While the machine was doing it's thing, he sighed, leaning on the bench, "I'm sorry Joey," he said.

"It's alright buddy," Joey said, patting him on the back. "We'll get you back to normal in no time." Yami's behaviour had been quite a surprise to Joey, because he was always so polite and upbeat about everything. It was as if last night's events had just caused him to have a total disregard for everything, including his own health.

After they'd eaten the pancakes and downed their coffee, Yami was feeling slightly better. The food had filled him up and the coffee had woken him up, but he still had a pounding headache. They decided to clean up the mess he had made the night before when he smashed all the photo frames so they they couldn't stand on any more glass. Yami lifted up a photo frame and his chest tightened, looking at the photo. It was from Bri's birthday a few months ago, when he had taken her to the fanciest restaurant he could think of. They had gotten the waiter to take a photo for them, and he stared down at it. He was kissing her on the cheek as she smiled that adorable smile that he had loved.

"She never loved you..." Austin's words from his nightmare floated through his head, and he had to restrain himself from throwing the photo across the room. He dumped it in the plastic bag he was holding, before picking up the shattered pieces of glass that sat on the floor. He cursed many times at he clumsily picked them up, and they cut at the skin on his hands. Eventually, he and Joey had cleaned up the apartment, and Joey looked at his watch.

"Crap," he said, "I was meant to be meeting a friend 15 minutes ago..." he turned to Yami, "Okay, we'll continue operation cheer up Yami tomorrow, for now just, I dunno put on happy music or watch a funny movie, something to keep your mind off of it."

Yami nodded, "Thank you Joey."

"No worries bud," he said with a grin, "I'll see you tomorrow!" and with one last smile over his shoulder, he left the apartment to go meet his friend.

...

Yugi sat at the counter of the game shop, tapping his fingers on the glass. His grandpa wasn't there at the moment, so he had to look after the shop temporarily. He looked at the clock: 5:01pm.

"Well, time to close up..." he said, getting up and walking over to the door. Just as he was closing it, a foot stepped in the door. He looked up in confusion, "Oh, hey Joey."

"Hey Yug," he said, "sorry I'm late, something unexpected came up."

"That's alright," Yugi let him in, and closed the door behind him, turning the sign on the door to 'closed'. "I really appreciate you coming, I don't very much like staying here alone."

"It's no worries bud," Joey said, ruffling the boys hair. They walked into the kitchen and raided Yugi's pantry, though Joey wasn't that hungry.

"Nah," Joey said, as Yugi held out the packet of chips, "just had pancakes."

"Pancakes? At 5 in the afternoon?" Yugi asked.

"Yeah, it was breakfast, but not for me." Yugi shrugged as Joey looked in the fridge for something to drink. "So what have you been up to?" Joey asked him.

"Not much really," Yugi said.

"Where were you last night? I tried calling but there was no answer," Joey said, pulling a can of soft drink out of the fridge.

"Oh, I was uh..." he thought for a moment, "I just went for a walk and ran into someone."

"Who?" Joey asked.

"Oh, nobody I knew, but he seemed pretty upset so I gave him some company," Yugi said, munching on the chips. Joey raised an eyebrow. "Come on, you know me, I can't stand seeing people upset." Joey nodded, "So I went over and asked him if he was okay. Poor guy, walked in on his girlfriend cheating on him."

Joey placed his drink down, "And this was last night you say?" he asked. Yugi nodded. "What was his name?"

Yugi shrugged, "Don't know, I'm pretty sure the girlfriend was named Briana or something though." Joey had a look of realisation on his face. "What, do you know him?" Yugi asked.

"Yeah I know him," Joey said, "he was the reason I was late."