To Mend A Broken Heart

Chapter 8 - The Bro Sleepover

"Remember I haven't played this game in a while," Yami said as he shuffled Yugi's deck.

"Don't worry," Yugi chuckled, doing the same with Yami's, "I'll go easy on you," he said. They exchanged their decks and began the duel, sitting on the floor of Yugi's living room. The duel was interesting to say the least, Yami started off quite rusty but as the duel went on, he slowly got back into the groove of things, as he slowly brought down Yugi's life points until they were almost even again.

"Ha," Yami said, summoning one of his best monsters. "Now I can destroy your Silent Swordsman."

"Sorry," Yugi said flipping a trap card, "I have mirror force," he grinned.

"Oh, that's so not fair," Yami said, putting his monsters in the graveyard pile.

Yugi just grinned even more, "It so is," he said, "If I attack now, you'll lose all your life points." Yami just glared at him. "I think that's check and mate," Yugi said, placing his cards down. Yami continued to glare at Yugi, before throwing the remaining cards in his hand at the boy.

Yugi laughed, "Don't be a sore loser Yami, you haven't played this game in ages."

"I'm not being a sore loser, I'm expressing my thoughts about the outcome of this duel," he said, nodding as he crossed his arms.

"Sure, sure," Yugi said with a laugh. He was interrupted when the phone rang. He jumped up from his place, "That might be the hospital," he said, walking into the kitchen to answer it. Yami sat back patiently, looking at the card mess in front of him. Great, he thought, now i'll have to go through this mess and figure out which of these cards are mine. He realised then that throwing his cards at Yugi may not have been the best idea, but shrugged it off. He then overheard the conversation Yugi was having on the phone.

"But I'm going to need it really soon," he said, sounding desperate. Confused, Yami listened carefully. "I'm sorry, sorry, okay. Sorry." Yugi definitely sounded flustered, and nervous? What could he be so nervous about. "Yes I will. I won't let you down." yami then thought he sounded scared almost. This was definitely confusing him. He heard Yugi hang up the phone, and Yami relaxed again, pretending he hadn't been listening to Yugi's conversation. He felt a bit rude for eavesdropping, but he redeemed himself by thinking it was only because Yugi sounded worried and distressed, and didn't like the idea of his friend being upset in any way. Yugi walked back into the room, and Yami noticed the boy had the slight evidence of sweat on his forehead.

"Everything alright?" Yami asked as Yugi sat back down.

"Uh, yes," he said, maybe a little too quickly. "Everything is fine," he said, forcing a smile. Now Yami hadn't known Yugi for very long, but he still knew that something was up, he just hoped that whatever it was would sort itself out soon, because he didn't like seeing Yugi so flustered. Although Yami wasn't convinced, he decided to let it be.

"So what now?" he asked.

"Well I'm hungry," Yugi said, gathering up his cards, "How about we order some pizza?"

"Sounds good to me," Yami said with a smile as he sorted his Duel Monster cards into its original pile.

The pair ended up sitting on Yugi's couch eating pizza and watching movies, adding their commentary along the way. Apart from the phone call and Yugi's obvious unease, it turned out to be a pretty good night, as the two enjoyed each other's company.

...

Yami floated back into consciousness as he felt the person next to him move. He was still half asleep, but he cuddled up to the person again. "Briana..." he murmured dreamily, relaxing beside them. Hold on a minute, Yami thought, now more awake than before. He had been in the middle of a dream where he was with Bri again, and it was as if nothing had happened, and he was happy. But he then realised it had just been a dream, and therefore the person he had his arm draped over couldn't have been her. He instantly jumped up from the couch in alarm, realising he had been sleeping next to Yugi the whole time. Thank god he didn't wake up, Yami thought, relaxing again as he sat back down on the couch. That would have been embarrassing. He looked down at Yugi who was curled up beside him. They had both fallen asleep there while watching a movie, so Yami decided to pull the mattress out from underneath the couch where he had spied it earlier. He had wondered why his neck was sore, the couch certainly didn't fit two people comfortably. As Yami made himself comfortable on the mattress, he heard Yugi stir on the couch. He looked up, but Yugi appeared to still be asleep. The boy moved again, groaning as he did so. Yami raised an eyebrow at his friend's behaviour. Yugi started to look like he was distressed, and started tossing and turning every few seconds. Yami decided to wake him up, he must have been having a bad dream. He moved over so he could reach up to the couch and nudge Yugi's arm.

"Yugi," he said quietly, "Yugi, wake up." The boy didn't respond, so Yami nudged him harder. The response he got that time, was the boy's arm flying out and almost hitting Yami in the face. He ducked back just in time so that it missed. Looking up at the boy quizzically, he now saw that Yugi was rubbing his eyes, having now woken up. He was breathing heavily, as he tried to calm himself down.

Yami sat up again, "Are you alright?" he asked.

Yugi jumped in his place, not realising that Yami was awake, "Oh, you scared me," he said.

"Sorry," Yami said, "Are you okay?" he asked again.

"Yeah, I'm fine," Yugi said, forcing a smile, "Just had a nightmare is all."

"Tell me about it," Yami muttered. Then again, his dream hadn't actually been a nightmare, but it might as well have been. It reminded him of what things were like when him and Bri were together and happy as ever. His heart ached at the thought. He sighed heavily and laid back down on the mattress, looking up at the ceiling.

Even though it was dark, Yugi could just notice that pained expression on Yami's face. "Everything alright?" Yugi asked.

Yami sighed, "I want to hate her, I really do, but I just can't," he said. "And that makes it all the more harder to get over her." Yami realised that it was late at night when his emotions were at their worst, but he didn't care at this point, he was just glad he wasn't alone otherwise he would have felt even worse.

Yugi gave him a half smile, before realising he probably couldn't see it. "Don't worry, we'll fix that," he said. "You'll be feeling back to normal in no time."

Yami sighed, "I don't want to feel anything..."

Yugi wasn't quite sure what to say to this, so instead, he grabbed one of the pillows on the couch and threw it at Yami.

It hit him square in the face with a, "Oomph!" in response from Yami.

Yami pulled the pillow off of his face as Yugi spoke, "Stop doing that," Yugi said.

"Doing what?" Yami asked.

"That thing you do when you think about her and get all depressed, stop it," Yugi said.

Yami almost laughed at him, "And how do you suggest I do that?" he asked.

Yugi shrugged, "I dunno, think about someone else," he suggested.

"Someone else?" Yami asked, confused.

"Yeah," Yugi said, "Is there any other girls you find attractive?"

"Well yeah but-"

"Then think about them instead," Yugi said.

Yami threw the pillow back at Yugi, who made an irritated noise in response. It was quite cute actually, Yami thought with a chuckle. "I think I'll just go back to sleep..." Yami said, rolling over and making himself comfortable again.

"Okay but if you think about her from now on I'm going to throw something at you."

Yami couldn't help himself from chuckling, "You do that," he said.