To Mend A Broken Heart

Chapter 9 - The Night Begins

Joey was jumping up and down on the spot, giggling like a little boy. "This is gonna be awesome!" he said, grinning widely. Today was the day they were staying in the penthouse of one of the most expensive hotels in the area, and Joey couldn't contain his excitement.

"Calm down Joey," Yugi said with a laugh as they were walking from his house to Yami's apartment. "It's only a hotel."

"But it's got a pool and a spa and a sauna and then the penthouse itself has its own pool and spa and then there's midnight room service!" Yugi laughed and rolled his eyes, and Yami just chuckled as his friend's behaviour. Yami and Yugi may as well have been best friends by this point, with Joey constantly needing to ditch them to do various things, they hung out almost all the time. This was especially since neither of them liked being alone at night, what with Yugi's grandpa still in hospital and Yami's feelings about the Briana situation always surfacing late at night. The two of them were the perfect duo.

Yugi's feelings towards Yami however had started to become slightly more than that of a concerned friend's, but he hadn't entirely admitted that to himself yet. He just simply enjoyed looking at Yami. A lot. Because let's face it, he was damn attractive, Yugi had thought that ever since he first saw him in the park. So that was all there was to it, right? Well that's what Yugi told himself. He did really enjoy Yami's company over the past couple of weeks though, even though it was meant to be working the other way around. Yami was also starting to become happier in general, and Yugi noticed that he was slowly regaining his strong, controlled manner. He still had times when he would slip out of it and turn into a clumsy idiot, but Yugi thought it was cute. Oh dear, Yugi thought, I can't start thinking about my friend like this, it's not healthy.

He sighed and discretely watched the muscles in Yami's back as the man walked in front of him, they were still very defined through his black sleeveless shirt that clung to his skin. Why does he make it so hard for me to not stare at him? Yugi thought helplessly. If this keeps up, it could ruin our friendship, and I can't let that happen, I have to make sure I don't fall into that trap. He then realised that he was thinking exactly how Yami was, only in a different context. Yami had said that he would stop himself for having feelings for anyone so that he wouldn't get hurt again. Yugi however was saying he'll stop himself from having feelings for one person so that it didn't ruin a friendship. That was logical, right? He wasn't so sure.

"So, when we get all out stuff into my car-" Joey began, but Yami cut him off.

"Hold on a second, your car?" Yami asked, "We aren't taking your car," he shook his head, as if making the decision final.

Joey looked surprised at Yami's comment, "But why not take my car?" he asked. They were now just approaching the apartment block where Yami lived.

"Because, if we're going to show up at one of the best hotels around," he said, pulling out his car keys with a smirk, "We have to go in style." He pressed the unlock button on his keys, and Joey and Yugi's mouths dropped when they saw the car that responded.

Joey walked over to the beautiful sleek black car, "You never told me you owned an Audi!" he said, admiring it.

Yami shrugged, "you never asked." He then smirked at Joey, "So, are we taking my car now?"

"Sure," Joey said, still admiring the car. "What model is it?" he asked, peering in through the windows.

"It's a 2008 S5," Yami said with a grin.

Yugi laughed, he hadn't seen Yami gloat like this before, but it was very amusing, "It's a very nice car," he said.

"Thank you," Yami smiled at him.

"How did you get the dough to pay for this?" Joey asked him, still sounding awe struck.

"Lots and lots and lots of hard work," Yami said, "Plus I had a small inheritance from my grandparents," he added. They all stood there looking at the car, until Yami said, "Well come on, we have a hotel to get to!" He said, smiling as he jumped in the drivers seat.

"Shotgun!" Joey called out in excitement as he ran for the passenger seat. Yugi just laughed, shaking his head as he got into the back, and they sped off down the road, headed towards the 5 star hotel.

Yami pulled the car over to the side of the road, only a block away from the hotel.

"Now," he said, turning to Yugi and Joey, "We still haven't figured out how we're going to smuggle Yugi in," he noted.

Joey chuckled, "I thought we were gonna shove him in a bag," he said.

Yugi glared at him, "Yeah, apart from the fact that that isn't physically possible, that's a bad idea," he said.

"Yugi's right," Yami said, "We need a better idea."

Joey thought for a moment, "Well why doesn't he just hide in the boot until we get into the building, then we can just go up to the room separately," Joey said.

Yami blinked at him, "That's actually a good idea," he said. He then turned to Yugi, "Are you okay with that idea, Yug?" he asked.

Yugi had to restrain himself from smiling stupidly at the nickname, so he nodded, "That's fine with me," he said. He sighed internally, why does it have to be Yami out of all people that I have to have feelings for all of a sudden? he thought to himself. It's all his fault for being so god damn attractive. They got out of the car and discreetly helped Yugi climb in to the boot.

"Keep your phone on you," Yami said to him, "Just in case we need to tell you something."

Yugi nodded, "Okay, I don't have to be in here for very long, do I?" he asked.

"Nah pal," Joey said, "We'll be in there in no time," he said with a reassuring smile. They closed the boot and and got back into the car.

"Alright," Joey said, getting comfortable in his seat, "let's do this!" Yami chuckled, Joey couldn't contain his excitement, despite the slight nervousness he had about smuggling Yugi in. But really, how hard could it be?

They were about to find out.