Status: trying something new.

You & Me.

There's no escape.

“Is she dead, mommy?” I felt my eyes slowly opening and a kid who looked like a 5 year old stared at me with wide blue eyes. I picked myself up from the chair. I probably fell asleep while waiting for my dad.

“I'm not dead.” I let out a laugh and ruffled his blond hair. Behind him stood Shay, a smile planted on her lips. My eyes moved back to the kid. God, he has your perfect blue eyes and he'd always remind me of you. My mind went back to the letter my dad wrote me. It was his son... my little brother.

“I'm Ben!” He said, smiling sweetly. “What's your name?”

“I'm Scarlet,” I smiled.

“Ben, this is your sister.” Shay spoke to him and his tiny body froze looking at me, his eyes widened and a huge smile formed on his pink lips.

“Daddy told me so many things about you.” I couldn't get a chance to reply as he wrapped his little arms around my neck, jumping. I hugged him as a laugh escaped my lips.

“Daddy told me things about you too.” I said, letting go of him. “Now, lets go surprise daddy okay?” I smirked and he nodded his head excitedly. I looked at Shay wondering if it was alright to let him in the room and she nodded her head towards me. I grinned at her and quickly made my steps to the door, with little Ben standing next to me, a playful smile on his lips.

“Daddy!” Ben ran as my dad embraced him, laughing.

“How's my big guy doing?” He said, as Ben wrapped his arms around his neck. I looked at him, his face looked paler, his entire body looked weaker and I could see how hard it was for him to keep a hold of Ben. I tried my best to fake a smile not wanting to let him worry about me.

“How're you, dad?” I said, taking a seat on the edge of his bed, a worried look on my face.

“Sweetheart, I'm okay.” He tried to assure me. But something was telling me that he wasn't, I felt like his condition was only getting worse and as much as I tried to think of it positively, it wouldn't work. “And, since I saw my Ben today I'm actually even better!” He started to tickle Ben as he burst into a fit of giggles, I couldn't help it but smile as I looked at them. At that moment, I realized how truly lucky I was. I had a family. I had someone that would care about me no matter what and it made me feel safe. Shay walked into the room, a donut in her hands.

“Look at what I have for you,” She pulled Ben down from my dad's bed as he quickly grabbed the donut and started eating it. “Now what do people say when someone is being polite to them?” Shay said sneakily as Ben picked his head up and looked at his mom.

“Thank you mommy.” He said food stuffed in his mouth. I laughed looking at them, as Shay smiled at me. I always thought that meeting my dad's wife would be hard, I thought she a different person. Probably someone who wouldn't appreciate my dad's past. But she was sweet, and she never bopped into any of my dad's problems. She was a quiet person, and I guess that made me like her more. She wasn't rude at all.

“How are you?” I heard her whisper to my dad, sitting by him cupping his cheeks.

“If you stopped asking me that question, I would most likely be more than okay.” He joked and kissed her lightly. By the way they looked at each other, I felt like they had nothing but true love and loyalty to each other. They looked in love. I never thought my entire life that I would believe in something like that, but I do now from what I was seeing. Wishing if I knew what does it feel like to be in love. My thoughts suddenly moved to John; the last time I saw him was when I slowly closed my eyes and my head leaned against his shoulder. I was too tired to even keep my eyes open.

“I'll be right back..” I said to my dad as he nodded his head. I walked outside, looking for John.

Grabbing my phone from my pockets, I dialed his number walking around the hallways to the hospital's cafeteria, trying to find an appearance of his tall body.

“Hello.” He answered.

“Where are you?” I said, my eyes motioning to every single table in the cafeteria in hopes to find him.

“Right here.” I felt his voice as I jumped turning around, I laughed hitting him lightly on the shoulder as I kept my phone back to my pockets.

“I feel like we haven't had a proper conversation in such a long time,” I smiled, “Wanna grab some breakfast? I'm starving.” He smiled, nodding his head. I didn't notice what I did but all I saw was my hands grabbing his. I felt a shiver running down my spine but I ignored it as we both made our way to get breakfast.

~~~~~

John.

“I never thought it would be this easy,” Scar said, swallowing the food she was chewing slowly. “I mean... this..” she explained, “Meeting my dad, and seeing him like this... I thought I would end up much worse than this. I thought I was most likely going to cry my eyes out.” she chuckled softly, as I looked at her, I kept staring into her eyes silently as she spoke, listening to her words quietly. She looked so much happier and brighter than the Scarlet I've meet a week ago. I guess it made me happy too... seeing her like this. It made me feel satisfied to say the least. As much as I knew how she can be stubborn and annoying sometimes, but someone like Scarlet definitely deserved nothing but happiness because I loved the way she smiled and when her eyes would wrinkle and form tiny little stars at the corner of them whenever she was happy.

“What?” She asked laughing nervously, “What's on your mind? You haven't said a word since we sat here,” Her eyes moved to my food, “And you didn't even eat your food. Geez, are you okay?”

“I am, I am.” I laughed, “I'm just a little tired.” She nodded understandably.

“I'm sorry.” she looked down at her hands, making me realize how perfectly long her eyelashes were. Here eyes slowly moved to mine, “I feel like I dragged you out of your life into this mess. But I'll make it up to you, okay?” A smile formed in her small lips, “Just... Just hope for the better.”

“Scar, if you apologize one more time I might just take my things and leave.” She looked at me, laughing.

“You're dumb.” She mumbled softly.

I started eating my food slowly, as silence filled in our table. Suddenly, Scarlet picked her head up and looked at me for a few seconds as if she was hesitant about what she wanted to say.

“John, do you believe in love?” I stared at her for a moment. Her blue eyes looked into my green ones.

“No.” I shook my head and looked away.

“Well, someday someone is going to look at you with a light in their eyes you've never seen, they'll look at you like you're everything they've been looking for their entire lives. Wait for it.” I spotted her smiling at herself, as she continued eating her food. I kept staring at her, and realization got into me. As much as I did not want to admit it to myself, I knew it. I knew that I was in love with Scarlet Young.
♠ ♠ ♠
I had these in my head for a while now and I thought "why not write it and post it today?" so I did!!!! Here you go guys, I can't believe that I have almost 130 readers on this story! It means the world, thank you guys so much:-)