Status: trying something new.

You & Me.

Take me back to the start.

John.

“Excuse me,” I walked towards the nurse who made her way out of Joseph's room. She turned her head and smiled at me, as she stopped her tracks. “Why is it taking so long for the doctor to start the surgery? They said it was supposed to be yesterday.” I asked, worriedly. Yesterday, when his condition got worse they decided that it was time for the surgery, but I didn't tell Scarlet because I didn't want to make her worry. Even though she should've known but I felt like she needed some time to rest since she couldn't even keep her eyes open.

“He rejected it,” She answered, “He said he wanted to do the surgery after he talks to his daughter about something. I can't recall what was it exactly but I'm sure it's important since he was begging us to postpone his surgery to tonight.” My eyes widened at her words. Something important?.

“Uh, can I.. ask you something?” I rubbed the back of my neck, “I know that we aren't supposed to ask those kind of questions but... is he going to... to live?” I knew that Scarlet would completely break and shatter if anything happens to her father. I had to make sure that everything was going to be okay, because I truly didn't want her to break at all. The nurse's face turned and I felt like something was definitely wrong. “What is it? Please. Tell me. I... I can handle it.”

“I'm not sure if I can answer your question but... if he did that surgery last night, things would've been way better than right now. We found out that the.... the cancer started moving down his spinal cord, which means if we aren't fast enough...” She sighed, apologetically, “The cancer might end up spreading all over his body.” I felt like a stone was thrown right into my chest. I felt like everything around me was starting to black out. This can't be good, we needed to be fast.

“Thanks.” I mumbled as I spotted Scarlet walking towards me.

“Is everything okay?” She asked noticing that I was talking to the nurse who walked away.

“Yeah..” I said, trying my best not to sound nervous.

“Wanna say hi?” She pulled my hand, a smile creeped on her lips as we both walked inside the room. “Dad. I want to introduce you to John. John O'Callaghan.” I smiled towards Joseph as he tried to sit straight. I slowly walked and stood next to his bed as I shook his hand. His eyes examined me for a moment, and for some reason I was starting to feel nervous.

“Such an honor to meet you, sir.” I finally said.

“You must be the hero who drove my daughter all the way up here.” He smiled, and I heard Scarlet letting out a soft laugh.

“I wouldn't call myself a hero, but yes. Yes I did.” I chuckled, rubbing the back of my neck. I didn't know why I could feel my palms sweating, but I felt nervous.

“Tell me, John. How's your father?” He asked. I noticed how his voice was tired, his eyes were pale and he would cough every minute.

“He's doing alright,” I answered, “He sends his regards and hopes you're okay.” I smiled realizing how dumb I sounded. Scarlet looked at me, smirking and probably noticing how nervous I looked.

“I remember going to high school with your father. He always won the girls with his fancy hair.” He chuckled and started coughing, “It's been such a long time since I last saw him,” He sighed, and looked away. “And I might not get the chance to see him again.”

“Dad.” Scarlet winced, holding his hand, “Don't say that. You're gonna be okay, I promise.” She looked hurt, yet trying her best to fill herself with hope. I knew that a part of her was hopeless but Scarlet is too strong to let this go. He didn't say a word but instead kissed his daughter's forehead softly.

“Shay is waiting for you outside. She's gonna take you to the house. Go and get some rest in an actual bed, okay?” He smiled weakly at her and noticed that she was about to object. “Please, I'm still here I promise.” He said. She forced a smile, and hugged him.

“Stay alive,” she whispered in his ears, “For me.” I could see tears forming in her eyes as she looked at me and walked outside, leaving me with only Joseph in the room. I got the feeling that he wanted to tell me something, and I knew that it was something he didn't want Scarlet to hear.

“I'm just truly lucky to have her back in my life,” He started, “Thank you. Thank you for bringing me my daughter back,” He looked at me sincerely, and continued. “John O'Callaghan. I want you to know a few things before I get into that surgery.” He pulled his head up and looked at me. I stayed still.

“Yes, sir.” I spoke.

“Make sure she doesn't know anything about this. I don't want her waiting for me, because I might not get out alive from that surgery.” He sighed deeply. I couldn't say any other word as he continued, “I want you to go back to our home, and stay with her through the night. Don't let anyone come to the hospital tonight. I want to get this surgery done without anybody's knowledge.” he looked at me in the eye and I could see how determined he was. His eyes reminded me of Scarlet and when she came to the hotel, trying to get her phone back. Determination, and strength. She took all of that from her father.
“I trust you John, and I want you to take care of my daughter. Keep her safe. I can see it in your eyes, you love her don't you?” His lips twirled into a small smile, I stared at the ground for a moment. “You know, she loves you.” He said and my eyes moved back up to his, shocked.
“I noticed how comfortable she was around you, and the way she looked at you when you talked. I saw that.” He smiled.

“I guess so..” I let out a small chuckle, and he reached for my shoulder, giving it a small squeeze.
“Mr. Young,” I took a deep breath trying to collect my thoughts, “I just truly hope you get out safe from that surgery. I know for a fact that your daughter loves you too much. She can't handle losing you. Just- just try and be strong for her, I guess...” I said nervously. For a few seconds, he looked at me a smile planted on his lips, and his eyes were starting to slowly water.

“You're a good guy, O'Callaghan.” He spoke, “At least I know that Scarlet is gonna be in safe hands if I'm ever gone.” He suddenly escaped into a fit of coughs and his eyes were turning red. He coughed as I slowly rubbed his back, trying to ease the pain. “I-I'm okay. I'm okay” He covered his mouth with a hand and pushed me aside with the other.

“I think.. I think I should call someo-” A knock escaped the door as a nurse walked in, a sad smile appeared on her face. I knew that it was time..

“Sir, I'm gonna have to let you wait outside. We're getting him ready for the surgery.” I nodded my head, and stood in front of him for one last time.

“Thank you for everything, your words will always have a place in my heart. I know and I believe that I will see you soon after that surgery.” I said, trying to sound hopeful. The nurse stared at me, frowning. That was when I knew it. I knew that there wasn't any hope for him anymore, but there has to be. There has to be some kind of way to help him out of this.

“Keep her safe, John. For me.” He whispered, as the nurse slowly stood him up. “Haley, dear.” He said, in between his coughs, “You've helped me through a lot in the past four weeks. I won't annoy you every morning after this.” He smiled weakly at her as she looked at him, her eyes teary. She bit her lower lip looking away, trying to stop herself from crying.

“Don't say that.” She rubbed her tears with the back of her hands, leading him to the wheelchair as he walked slowly, hunched over. I noticed how he barely had the strength to walk. “You will be just fine.” She forced a smile, he kept silent. As she helped him walk with the wheelchair out of the room, I knew that it was time to leave. I slowly made my way out of the hospital, my mind killing me with every single step I made. I should be staying with him, and wait. But I promised him to stay with Scarlet. My head was killing me.
♠ ♠ ♠
I might've cried a little while writing this lol, I've been reaaaally emotional lately. this chapter is maybe too much but it's better this way! To whoever read this story from the beginning and is still reading; thank YOU! it's a great feeling to know that people are still reading this and I guess I just thought no one would like it. I was wrong! You guys are incredible, thank you thank you thank you.