Status: trying something new.

You & Me.

Taking me down.

John

It all felt like a dream. I opened my eyes and there she was, sleeping peacefully in my arms. Her bangs slightly covering her closed eyes, and I could feel her chest slowly rising & falling. I studied her features quietly, a smile made its way to my lips. God, she's beautiful even when she's asleep. I reached and softly kissed her eyes. She woke up, playfully scrunching up her nose.

“You were staring at me for how long now?” She asked, rubbing her eyes.

“Probably an hour or two.” I joked as she let out a chuckle. “Is this real? Scarlet I'm not dreaming right?” I whispered, her face inches away from mine.

“It's real.” She spoke, placing her head on my chest. I softly played with her hair staring at the ceiling. “I'm right here.”

“I've waited so long for this to happen.” I kissed her hair, rubbing her back softly. “I want to stay like this forever. Just us. You & me.” She chuckled, looking up at me. She locked my eyes into hers, and her smile slowly faded away.

“I'm sorry. I wish if I never pushed you away, I was angry and I didn't understand. I'm so sorry John.” She hugged me tighter, and I only kissed her again.

“Don't even say another word. Scarlet, don't you ever apologize to me again alright? Honestly.. I should be thanking you.” She listened as I spoke. “You turned me into a person I wished every single day to be. I'm a better man right now and that's thanks to you. You made me realize things I never thought I'd see.”

She smiled, and kissed my cheek. We stayed silent for almost 20 minutes and that's exactly how I wanted it to be. Just us, with nobody or anything annoying us, our breath falling together quietly. Her eyes twinkled and little stars formed in the corner of her eyes as I kissed her. I liked that, I liked how she was lying right next to me, in my arms and nobody could ever take her away from me.

She stood up and I could see that something grabbed her attention as she walked towards the table. Wearing only her under clothes, I remembered everything that happened last night as a smile flashed on my face. She grabbed a small framed picture, and looked at it.

“That was prom.” I chuckled, “My suit was so big that it probably fit another person inside.” She let out a laugh, staring at the picture.

“I never went to prom.” She spoke as she placed the picture back to the table. “I guess I was too busy trying to take care of myself, and my studies.”

“Are you serious!?” My eyes widened as she started laughing. “Come on, everybody went to prom.” I shook my head.

“Not me.” She chuckled. Walking towards me, she sat on my lap as I kissed down from her lips to her jaws.

“Wanna go to prom with me then?” I whispered, in between our kisses.

“I'd love to.” She laughed sensuously, her hands wrapping around my neck.

“Scarlet.. Can I ask you something?” Our foreheads and noses were touching, as she softly let go. She nodded her head as I looked into her deep blue eyes. “Why now? I-I mean why did you decide to come back to me now? Don't get me wrong please, but I somehow thought things were over between us. I mean I'm glad they're not, I really am. But.. What made you come back?” I asked, curious. She looked down, and sighed. Her eyes slowly drifted to me, as she tried to pick up the right words. I could notice that from the way she was fiddling nervously with her hands.

“I.. I felt lonely, John. I didn't have anyone to go to other than you, and even though it was hard for me to do it. I never hated you, I-- I just felt like you don't deserve someone like me. You deserve better.” I noticed how she was trying to force back her tears. “So I decided to come to you, just to spend the night and I accidentally found your... your notebook.” I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion. “Before you say anything. I'm- I'm sorry if what I did was wrong but I read everything you wrote about me and all the flashbacks from Boston were flooding into my brain. I realized by then how I was just trying to find that one thing to drag me back to you. I knew that we both were trying to let go of each other, and I knew that we both weren't strong enough to do that.” Her voice cracked as she pursed her lips together.

“Scarlet, look at me.” She picked her head up and her eyes met mine. I held her cheeks rubbing her tears with my thumb lightly, “I am here. We're both together right now, and we're both starting a new page alright? The past is the past, and we're gonna help each other to make the present a better place okay?” She nodded her head sniffing. She wrapped her arms around my neck, resting her head against my shoulder. I rubbed her back softly, thinking of a new way to start over. We both needed a night without negativity and we both needed to forget for a bit and I knew exactly where to take her.

Scarlet.

I gave myself one last look into the mirror as I adjusted my dress. I was wearing a black sleeveless high-low dress, and my hair rested right above my shoulder loosely. I put on red lipstick and lightly pursed my lips together to spread the color. The phone rang as I walked towards the table answering it.

“You ready?” His voice sent shivers up & down my spine as I smiled.

“I am.” I put on my heels, chuckling. “But why are we doing this? You asked me to put on my favorite dress and get ready for what?” I was ready to leave my apartment as I grabbed my purse and walked towards the door, opening it.

“Cause we're going to prom, sweetheart.” He was standing in front of me, the phone on his ears and my eyes widened noticing that he was wearing a suit. A grin rested on his lips, his hair was pushed back and I felt speechless.

“John..” My hand covered my mouth, putting down my phone.

“You look beautiful.” He whispered, held both of my hands, intertwining our fingers softly. He leaned in placing a kiss on my lips. “C'mon. Let's go.” He turned, held my hand as we walked outside.

“How are we going to prom? Are we sneaking into a high school or something?” I asked, and John let out a laugh as he pulled the ignition to his car.

“That is actually a great idea.” He said, still laughing. I stepped into the passenger seat lightly hitting him on his arm. “Shut up.” I rolled my eyes hiding my smile. He drove as the music on the radio softly played in the background. I noticed the song playing as I slowly increased the volume. When The Stars Go Blue by Ryan Adams was playing. I leaned my head against the seat as I opened the window, letting out my hand into the warm Arizona air.

“Dancin' where the stars go blue
Dancin' where the evening fell
Dancin' in your wooden shoes
In a wedding gown

Dancin' out on 7th street
Dancin' through the underground
Dancin' little marionette
Are you happy now?

Where do you go when you're lonely
Where do you go when you're blue
Where do you go when you're lonely
I'll follow you
When the stars go blue.”


I mumbled to the lyrics, staring at the road ahead of us. “I feel so content right now.” I spoke, closing my eyes and allowing myself to breathe in. “Thank you. For giving me the happiness I always needed.”

“Scarlet Young, I am yours & you are mine. If we're together nothing will ever bring us down.” He looked at me, and I could see how sincere he was. I smiled, knowing that what he said was true and it was time to stop thinking of the past. Tonight, I will be happy. It was almost 8pm as John's car stopped my an unfamiliar place.

“Here we are.” John spoke, and suddenly someone opened the door for me.

“Scarlet Young, what a pleasure to finally meet you.” A guy with short black hair wearing a suit, opened the door for me and held out a hand.

“Halvo, come on man.” John shook his head laughing. “Scarlet, this is what I unfortunately call my best friend. Eric Halvorsen.” John introduced me as he got out of the car.

“Hi,” I smiled, “A pleasure to meet you too, Eric.” I shook his hand.

“Oh please, call me Halvo.” He smirked.

“Not cool bro, totally not cool.” John joked shaking his head.

“Godammit, John will you just not ruin a moment for once?!” Halvo groaned as a laugh escaped from my lips. “I prepared all of this for you and I invited all of our friends, I think I deserve a moment with the lady.”

“Well thank you for that, but now if you'll excuse us, prom is waiting.” John smirked, wrapping his hand around my waist. “Don't worry about him. He gets a little flirty when he's drunk.” John said. I chuckled softly as we walked into the place. It looked like what used to be a restaurant, but it was filled with people who were supposedly asked to dress up for a "prom" party.

“How did you do all of this?” I looked around, amazed by the looks of everything. It all looked like a real high school prom and it made me feel happy. Music was playing and a huge group of people danced along. Food & drinks were served, and I could notice that some parents were actually there.

“I have connections.” He winked as I shook my head laughing. “Oh hey look who's here!” John pointed at a group of guys as we walked towards them.

“John, hey dude!” A guy with short brown hair waved, “You must be Scarlet?” He shook my hand as I nodded my head. “I'm Garrett.”

“A pleasure to meet you.” I smiled.

“Scarlet, these are my band members.” He pointed at them one by one. “Jared, Kennedy, Pat & Garrett.” I smiled towards all of them as they kindly greeted me. They all looked friendly and I was glad I finally met them.

“It's good to see you.” Kennedy, the one with dark hair & brown eyes spoke smiling. “John couldn't last a day without talking about you.” All of the guys groaned.

“Remember when he was drunk that night & he was yelling at us about her.” Jared laughed, “He said ‘I wanna run away to Mexico with her and I wanna get married by the beach’” All of the guys escaped into a fit of laughter and I found myself joining them.

“Let's not spill the beans.” John rolled his eyes towards them, “You guys can't keep any secret, dammit.”

“Love you too O'Callaghan.” Jared yelled, laughing as we walked away towards the drinks.

“I think they're funny.” I smiled, grabbing a red cup & filling it.

“Well I'm glad. But I won't be if they keep talking about what I said to them about you.” He rolled his eyes as I giggled.

“You really said that?!” I raised an eyebrow, “Wanna run away to Mexico & get married by the beach huh?” I laughed wrapping an arm around his torso.

“I was drunk, okay?!” He spoke & I could see that he was blushing.

“Well who knows? That might happen.” I teased, leaning in and attaching my lips to his.

“I'd be the happiest man in the world.” He whispered letting go. Suddenly the entire room was filled with couples, slow dancing to “Right Here Waiting” by Richard Marx.

“May I have this dance?” John smirked, putting out his hand. I shook my head keeping my drink on the table as I followed him to the dance floor. He put an arm around my waist as I wrapped a hand around his shoulder & a hand touching his. I leaned into his shoulder as we slow danced to the song.

‘Oh can’t you see it baby?
You’ve got me goin’ crazy.
Wherever you go, whatever you do
I will be right here waiting for you.
Whatever it takes,
or how my heart breaks,
I will be right here waiting for you’


“I love you.” John whispered into my ear as we moved to the music slowly. I felt shivers running up & down my spine. I pick my face up as our foreheads and noses touched. “I love you so much sweetheart.” He said it and it crashed into my brain like a brick. All I remembered was when I heard my father say the same thing to me on the phone. I felt a sudden guilt for some unknown reason, I felt like I shouldn't be happy. I shouldn't. I let go of John, and he looked at me in concern. I felt like I was about to have a panic attack, and I needed to get out of here.

“Scarlet are you okay?” He asked.

“I-I just need some fresh air.” I turned around running outside. I could feel John following me as he yelled my name, and he was the last person I wanted to see. I didn't want to show him how I am weak and I didn't want him to see me cry again.

“Scarlet!” He shouted, as I stopped and turned to him.

“John, I'm okay. I just need to be alone alright? I'll be back in a minute.”

His eyes showed worry & sadness. I wish if I could tell him that I needed him most but I knew that he have had enough with everything I say about my father and I didn't want to bother him. I walked outside as I felt the soft wind moving my hair. I needed to get out of here.

John

“I don't know what happened man.. I-I just told her that I love her & she just.. freaked out and ran away.” I spoke to Halvo, sitting outside by the door. It's been almost thirty minutes since Scarlet freaked on me & left. I didn't know what to do but all I knew is that she told me she'd be back and I had to wait.

“Maybe.. Well maybe she didn't know how to reply. Maybe she got nervous?” Halvo spoke, obviously trying to make the situation better.

“You're only making this worse, Halvo.” I groaned rubbing the back of my neck, the nerves taking over me.

I wish if I could know what exactly I did wrong that made her run away like this. My head was spinning and I wanted to see her, talk to her & ask her why. People were starting to leave & the place was almost empty. I said my goodbyes to my friends & I suddenly noticed that a huge group of people were yelling & gathering in a point.

“What's happening there?” I asked, curious.

“I have no idea. C'mon, let's go & see.” Halvo spoke & noticed that I was still willing to stay here & wait for her. “John, man. She's gonna come back or call you. She won't ever run away. Come on let's go.” I was still not convinced but walked towards the huge fuss anyway. My mind still away with her.

“Holy shit. There's a girl throwing herself from the bridge into the lake.” I heard murmurs from everywhere.

“Who?!” I almost felt like my brain stopped functioning. A girl. Throwing herself into the lake. “No. No, no. This can't be happening, it's not her.” I didn't even know who I was talking to. I pushed into the group of people wanting to walk to the bridge and see. My heart beating out of my chest.

“John. John, man stop.” Halvo spoke but I ignored him completely making my way through the people. “It can't be her! John!” He yelled and I couldn't hear him anymore because I saw what I was hoping I'd never see. Her heels on the ground, she was standing on the edge of the bridge and I couldn't feel anything other than fear. I ran towards her but I knew I wasn't fast enough. My heart dropped right into my stomach and even though a huge group of people stood behind me screamed in surprise, I felt like I was alone. I took of my jacket & suspenders too quickly that I could feel my hand shaking in fear because I knew that at this moment, anything could happen.

I didn't even think or even look as I dropped myself right into the water. I felt a slight pain in my abdomen as I swam looking for her body. I prayed to god that I would see something.. anything. And there she was, her body floating on the surface of the water, I swam as fast as I could towards her. I couldn't recognize if it was the water splashing into my face or my tears. I yelled her name over and over again. Scarlet! Scarlet! But there was no response. I pulled her body out of the water hoping that she'd be conscious.

“Somebody call 911! Right now!” I cried as I grabbed her out of the water. “Breathe. Breathe with me, Scarlet!” I pushed into her chest, wanting her to spit out the water from her lungs to be able to breathe again. My hands touched her heart and panic got into me when I couldn't feel any heartbeat. “No. No you can't do this. Scarlet!Wake up!” I yelled.“Please.”My voice lowered as I cried, my hands touching her cold cheeks. “Please.”