Status: trying something new.

You & Me.

Here we are.

Scarlet.

I laid on the bed staring at the ceiling, trying my best to shut my eyes closed and fall asleep but it wasn't working at all. I was thinking too much that I couldn't even fall asleep even when I was tired. I was heading out tomorrow to see my dad after seven long years. I didn't know how or what to feel exactly because everything was happening quickly and time wasn't on my side at all. I had to get myself ready and give myself some strength because I know that I'll see him in his worst case. I closed my eyes one more time, and once I did it I felt myself disconnected from the world as I fell asleep.

“Scarlet Young. Fucking wake up, we have to leave!” The sound of John banging constantly on my door woke me up. I glanced at the clock and it was 8:30am.

“Okay, I'm awake. I'm awake.” I shouted back as the banging stopped. God, this guy is just too annoying and I had no idea how I was going to stand him for the rest of this week. I got into the toilet and gave myself a quick shower, blow-dried my hair and it rested on my shoulders loosely. I changed into a high wasted short and a tank top and tried my best to be quick as I packed my clothes in my suitcase. I didn't want to take too many clothing or something that I won't really use on this trip. I heard the banging again as I let out a load groan.

“I fucking told you I'll be out in a minute!” I shouted in anger.

“Then be quick, you're taking too long.” I ignored his shouts and put on my shoes. I glanced at myself on more time on the mirror and realized that I forgot something important. I forgot to take the picture of me and my dad that rested on my table. I smiled at it one more time and kept it in safe in my pocket.

“I'm ready.” I walked out of my room and saw John laying on the sofa tired of waiting. “I'm waiting outside.” I said as I felt him get up grabbing his luggage and followed me. This ride was going to be the hardest thing ever, I couldn't even bare looking at him. How am I going to survive the week?

“Scarlet Young, are you ready to fall in love with me this week?” John smirked and I rolled my eyes.

“Oh please, fuck off.” I locked my apartments door as he rested his shoulders against the wall facing me.

“You just left a scar in my heart.” He dramatically kept his hand on his chest, making the goofiest face ever. “That's it, from now on I'm calling you Scar.” He said as I gave him a disgusted face.

“What a beautiful name.” I sarcastically said rolling my eyes and walking down the stairs ignoring him.

“You'll get used to it.” He said.

The moment I walked outside and saw John walking towards a huge old van covered in writings and scribbles everywhere.

“Aren't you coming?” John noticed that I was standing there, in shock. “Isn't she a beaut?” He looked over the van.

“What the fuck?” I said, “And where's that fancy car of yours?” I asked still examining the van. It was pretty dirty from the inside, and an acoustic guitar was thrown in the backseat. The entire van was littered with paper and plastic bags everywhere. A huge dream catcher grabbed my attention, it was placed on the front and it looked beautiful.

“I don't want to ruin that car. So I'm driving in this. It's our bands van but they were okay with me taking it for the rest of the week.” John said, as he pulled the ignition to the car. I quickly threw my luggage in the trunk and took my place in the passenger seat. As John sat on his place I noticed how it was even dirtier from the front.

“Can you explain to me all of this?” I disgustingly pointed at the litter all over the van.

“Come on, we're guys. We don't have time for this shit.” He laughed.

“Then what about this?” I pointed at the writings and scribbles outside the van.

“These are all written by our fans. You know, we're famous.” He smirked and I only rolled my eyes.

“Yeah, right.” I nodded sarcastically, “I bet the girls are all over you.” I said, “And you probably love being the center of attention.” I rested my legs on the dash, squirting my eyes as the Arizona sun cascaded through the window.

“Whatever Scar.”

“Calling me that will not make me angry if that's your goal.” I tried to keep myself clear. He didn't say anything this time and the moment he started to drive I knew that this was going to be extremely hard. I rested my head against the window staring out at the sun. I was finally seeing my dad, in less than fifty hours. I just couldn't grasp that in at all, it felt surreal and it scared the shit out of me. Those long, hard and tiring seven years are all about to reach to an end in less than three days. God, I missed my dad.

“So, I just realized I didn't introduce myself nicely to you.” My face turned to him as I felt slightly shocked by his way of talking. He wasn't bring sarcastic neither he was being rude. So I let him continue.

“Well, let me start. My name is John O'Callaghan, my nickname in high school used to be John O. I'm 24 years old and I love music a lot. I've been in a band with my best friends for 6 years and I love my life.” He simply said.

“Very interesting. But I think you forgot to say something. "I also like to go to bars and sleep with as many girls as I can every night."” I looked at him, as he let out a chuckle, “And also the part where you should've said "I'm a very rude person, especially when it comes to Scarlet Young."” I tried mimicking his voice and I noticed that he was still laughing.

“That's right, thanks for correcting me.” He smirked, “What about you?” He asked, “What's your story?”

“My story isn't as perfect as yours,” I kept a straight face trying my best to run away from this topic. I bet he noticed how my expression suddenly changed. “I hate quiet car rides, play some fucking music.” I changed the subject trying my best not to sound suspicious. I quickly covered my watery eyes with my sunglasses not wanting him to notice anything.

“Alright..” He just said, and plugged his iPod to the AUX wire. The sounds of the song left the stereo. I quietly listened and realized that it was Unknown Legend by Neil Young. The memories hit me like a brick. I remember how my dad used to play it every time my mom would get mad at him. She just couldn't be mad at him for the longest time because he would do anything to make her smile. I remember once she got mad at him for forgetting to buy the groceries she told him to get, so she didn't talk to him all day but he walked into her room and played the song as he sang along to her. She used to laugh, he used to pull her into a kiss and ask her to dance. I remember staring at them from the hole on the door. The way she wrapped her arms around his neck, that look on his face and the way he looked at her. He looked at her as if she's the most important thing in his life and without her he's gone. The last time he played the song to her was the day she left home and got into the car accident. It hurts to know how much that song used to make him so happy but now he'd just remember her and sadness comes back to him.

“She used to work in a diner.
Never saw a woman look finer.
I used to order just to watch her float across the floor.” John's voice brought me back to reality as I watched him singing along. “She grew up in a small town, never kept her roots down.” The memories were crashing into my head like some kind of earthquake. It made my head hurt, and I couldn't take it anymore. I quickly pulled his iPod and changed the song.

“What the fuck was that?! I love that song.” John said, looking over at me.

“I hate that song.” I simply whispered and looked out at the road.

John.

We stopped by a petrol station after six hours of driving, the place looked empty. I got out of the van and Scarlet followed me into a small supermarket. An old lady greeted us with a friendly smile as she stood by the counter.

“What do you want?” I asked looking over the fridge trying to find a cold drink.

“I'll just have water.” She folded her hands, looking over at the books section.

I grabbed some snacks that can stay with us for the next six hours, water and put it on the counter. The lady started to put them into the bag as I walked towards Scarlet.
She was looking through a book, her eyes scanned it.

“Do you wanna get that?” I asked, cocking my head. She looked at me and rolled her eyes, going back to what she was reading.

“That's a great choice.” The old lady smiled at Scarlet. “Shadow and Bone. No one ever looked over at that. I'm impressed by your choices.” She handed me the bags as I paid her, smiling.

“I read that book for so many times, I've lost count.” Scarlet laughed, “It's too good.”

“Here.” The old lady gave Scarlet the book, “Please. Accept this as a gift, from a friend to a friend.”

“Oh no you don't have t-” Scarlet objected.

“Please. Don't let me down.” the old lady insisted as Scarlet pulled the book with a smile on her face.

“She's a beautiful girl. You're a lucky man.” For a brief moment, I just stood there. Not knowing how to react.

“Oh no, we're no-” I interrupted Scarlet pulling her closer to me.

“I really am lucky.” I smiled at the old lady, “We're actually on a road-trip to Boston because we're getting married secretly.” I said looking deeply into Scarlets eyes. I could see hatred, a lot of hatred but I only ignored her.

“What can I say? I love her too much.” I kissed her forehead, but of course, the grumpy Scarlet was showing up. She pinched my chest, without looking at the old lady.

“I am a lucky girl.” She said, faking a grin, her teeth clinched as she squeezed the pinch and I could feel it stinging.

“Alright, let's go babe! Thank you so much.” I pulled myself away from Scarlet smiling at the old lady and walked out.

“What the fuck was that for John?” She yelled the moment we walked out of the supermarket.

“What!?” I yelled walking to the van, “That old lady seemed positive about me dating you and I didn't want to crush her dreams. Poor woman, I bet her husband isn't with her anymore.” I pulled myself into the drivers seat as Scarlet groaned loudly.

“You're a dick.” She scoffed, looking at the road.

The sun was already setting and as I drove on the highway I could see New Mexico's skyline. Bright orange into the mountains, and a shade of light blue into the sky. A view like this was the reason why I loved road tripping. I kept my eyes on the road and didn't really notice that Scarlet fell asleep until I felt her snuggle into herself like a puppy. I looked at her. She had a clear pale skin, her hair was as black as the night, her eyelashes were so long that they actually get stuck together. She really was beautiful, I thought. But not a person I would be with. My mission was to drive her to Boston, only. Nothing else. I kept reminding myself.

I checked the GPS, noticing that we had 3 hours ahead of us until we get to the borders of Texas. I let out a sigh, as my thoughts went to the band. We were supposed to play in LA tonight, and we were all excited considering that it's been such a long time since we played a show.
Last time I was in LA was the day I drove there. I remember how I went to her house and told her that I can't be with her anymore. I couldn't take any of it. It just wasn't me, and I didn't want to live with someone pretending to like something I don't. So I ended it and left just like that. Ever since that day, I told myself not to fall in love again because I knew that love does not exist, and we're living in a world where love is overrated.

“Thinking of your girlfriend?” I was taken away from my thoughts, as Scarlet yawned making me jump a little.

“Jesus, I thought you were asleep.” I told her running a hand through my hair.

“Well I was asleep until I woke up and stared at your face and looks like you were in another world, clearly thinking of something so deeply.” She stated folding her arms, looking at me.

“Actually yeah, I was thinking of my girlfriend. Does that make you jealous Scar?” I smirked, looking at her rolling her eyes and slightly hitting my arm. “Ouch! Scar, you should stop with the hitting. I'm also human and I also do feel.” I sarcastically pointed, trying to focus on the road ahead of me.

“Oh, sorry. Didn't know Mr. John "Rude" O'Callaghan has any feelings.” She replied.

“Man, you're a competitive one.” I whispered under my breath, trying my best to not make her hear anything.

“What did you say?” She questioned raising an eyebrow.

“Nothing you want to hear.” I said swiftly. She really was stubborn, I've never met a girl in my entire life with this kind of attitude. Which kind of makes this journey so exciting I guess, because every single day I'd see so many different sides of her, and it made me feel curious to know more and more about her. Because I knew that Scarlet Young wasn't like any girl I knew in Arizona. She was different and that what made me feel like this.

“What kind of music does your band play?” she suddenly asked, breaking the silence between us. I could feel the eager in her voice.

“Old jazz music.” I tried my best to sound serious but I couldn't hold my laugh.

“Shut up,” she scoffed hitting me on more time in the same spot. I bet it's gonna turn purple in a few days.

“Okay okay,” I laughed, “I don't necessarily want to tell you exactly what we play,” I trailed, “So... How about I just play it for you and you can be the judge here? Right?” I said.

“Alright.” She nodded waiting for me to plug in my iPod.

“What?” I said after she gave me a confused look, “Scar, I can't plug in my iPod while I'm driving you know? Do it yourself. You aren't that lazy are you?” A smirk laid on my lips as she cursed under her breath grabbing my iPod as I chuckled at her.

“These Four Words.” She pronounced each word slowly as she read the letters. My eyes widened.

“No.” I quickly tried to grab my iPod away from her, “Not that song.” I said trying my best to stop her but she immediately hit play ignoring me.

I sighed in frustration and continued driving. She was probably gonna find it either way, so if she was playing it now I'll try not to care and not look suspicious. The piano first played as I got back the nostalgic feeling all over again. From the first day we met, to our one year anniversary, to the where I made the biggest decision of my life and lastly tearing what I've built apart.

“If you don't like it you can just pause it.” I scoffed noticing that Scarlet kept a straight face as if trying to know the meaning behind these lyrics. Or trying her best to bare the music. It was one of those, nothing else. The streetlights were dim as I drove in the dark night and I could see the outline of her face and it's shadow. Her pale blue eyes stared at me for a moment, examining me.

“As if a plane crash were timely,
there's no good time for bad news.
And these four words don't come easy.
I don't love you.”
The song ended as the last part played, Scarlet's eyes never left me and I could see her expression from the corner of my eye. Surprised, in a way. I couldn't tell if she was impressed or not, but all I thought of was that this was the first time ever since we've met to see her staring at me like this.

“Is it really that bad?” I noted trying to change the silent atmosphere around us.

“Uh. No, no it's just uh..” She ran a hand through her soft hair, letting go of her gaze, “Its nice.” She simply said. Without looking at me, or saying anything else.

“Its nice.”

“Its getting really dark and I think we should stop by some motel or something. So we can stay the night.” She looked into the GPS, “Okay, it says there's a motel in Amarillo, Texas. Which is a two hour drive from now.”

“I don't trust these things, I'm sure there's another motel after that.” I commented, trusting my senses. She raised an eyebrow and I could see that she was annoyed from the corner of my eyes as I drove.

“Whatever you say, Mister know it all.” She scoffed grabbing the book the old lady gave her at the petrol station. She slowly started reading as she got lost into it. We stayed in comfortable silence as I kept driving.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm starting to feel less motivated each day and it sucks but here. please comment!!