Status: trying something new.

You & Me.

We're all a little stronger than we think we are.

Scarlet.

Boston Medical Center

My entire body tingled the moment I read the headline above us. It was raining heavily and the hazy city welcomed us. The raindrops felt heavy on the window's of the van and I stared out at the tall buildings as John drove silently. I preferred not to start any type of conversation with him after what happened last night. Instead I just tried my best to find something that can distract me from that awkward silence.
John took a right and I found myself entering the parking lot of the medical center. I was a few minutes away from my father. It made me feel.. scared and mostly nervous. John's head turned and faced me and I could see him looking at me, his eyebrows furrowed.

“Are you ready?” John's voice was soft, and calm as he parked the van right in front of the entrance. There was a short amount of silence as I gulped. I only shook my head not daring to even look at him. “Y-You sure?” He asked one more time. Stop, I wanted to yell at him. But I only clenched my hands to the hem of my shirt trying to calm myself down. Remember, don't cry. Don't. Cry. I nodded my head one last time before stepping out of the van not caring if it was raining or not. The raindrops hit my face as I folded my hands into my chest, shivering from how cold it was. John ran towards me with his leather jacket as he placed it over my head, I couldn't dare to look at him. I knew that if I did I'll breakdown and I'll start crying again.

“Thanks.” I mumbled pulling the jacket from him, not even sure if he heard me. I took a step forward and there it was. The entrance. I took a deep breath, trying to get myself ready for this. Suddenly I felt John's hand touching mine tightly as our fingers intertwined. This time I couldn't look away from him. His eyes stared into mine and I could see it's color clearly. He gave me a reassuring smile but I was starting to feel my eyes watering, I smiled back quickly looking away. He was still holding my hand as we both walked inside.

“Hello ma'am, how can I help you?” The receptionist asked, smiling.

“Uh, hi. I'm looking for.....” I couldn't say it. His name couldn't even leave my lips. I breathed in, my eyes closed trying to say his name. “I'm looking for J-Joseph..” I felt my entire face heat the moment I said his name, it felt like hundreds and hundreds of bricks were thrown at me. “Joseph Young.”

“You must be his daughter.” She smiled towards me, “Your father's been talking about you a lot; he's been expecting your visit.” I had nothing to say, so I just nodded my head forcing a smile. “His room is right down the hallway, it's the last one.” She pointed, as John thanked her.

“I-I think I need some fresh air first.” my voice was low; I was chocking, and trying my best not to cry. This was it; this was it.

“Are you okay?” John asked, looking at me; studying me closely. I nodded my head walking outside. The air was fresh, and it stopped raining as the sun was slowly setting. I took deep breaths, and my knees were starting to shake but I ignored them. I reminded myself of the day my mom passed away, and how my dad came into my room crying. He just hugged me and kept holding me for a solid ten minutes. I said nothing even though I knew that something terrible happened. I just wrapped my arms around him and my tears silently streamed down my face.

“I wish I told her that I loved her more often.” He would always say that. But deep down I remember how he used to tell her that he loved her every single morning.

“Maybe I wasn't wrong about you..” I jumped a little as I felt John's hand touching my shoulders, giving it a squeeze. “I knew it, I just did. From the first day we've met I knew that you're the strongest person I've ever met.” He stared at the view in front of us as I looked at him, “So you'll be alright, I know that.” His eyes moved to meet mine, smiling.

“I hope you're right.” I said, tucking a strand of my hair behind my ears.

“I am. I'm always right.” He gestured himself and I couldn't help but to let out a laugh. “Now, Scar.” He turned his entire body facing me and touching both of my shoulders, “You're gonna walk in there and meet your dad. Don't prove me wrong now, I know you love doing that.” I shook my head laughing lightly. Even though I was scared, nervous, close to tears. I couldn't help it but laugh at him. “Go.” His eyes looked into mine sternly, telling me to be strong. I nodded my head, making my steps back to the entrance. I walked through the hallways, and the many rooms that stood next to each other as I reached the end of the hallway it was there. His room.

“I'm here, I'll wait right here if you need me.” John whispered, as he took a seat in front of the room. Giving me a reassuring smile I nodded towards him taking a deep breath. Don't cry. Do not cry.

“Shay, I don't want to die without seeing my daughter once again.” I heard his voice and I felt my entire body freezing. “She's gonna come. I know it.” I heard him cough tiredly, slowly making my steps as I appeared right in front of him. His green eyes, looked more grey as I recalled. His face looked more older, and his hair was gone. A brunette woman sitting by his bed stood up as she saw me. I just kept my body still for seconds as we both looked at each other. My father, who raised me for 16 years, and quietly left the house for seven long years. They felt longer than the 16 years I've lived with him. He was only steps away from me. He was there.

“Scarlet.” The way he said it, made me wince silently. I wanted to scream at him for leaving, ask him why did he do it without even thinking of me but instead I felt my feet run their way up to his bed making him slowly groan in pain but I didn't care. My hands wrapped around his neck as I buried my face into his chest. Tears were swelling up in my eyes and suddenly a muffled sob left lips. “Oh my god.” He was crying too, as he held me tightly. “I'm-I'm sorry, Scarlet.” He cried but I just kept my grip tight and my sobs made their way out.

“Don't leave me ever again like that, okay?” I raised my head and looked at him, rubbing my tears with the back of my hands.

“I promise.” He nodded his head, smiling weakly. I let out a small laugh as I wrapped my arms around him again. “God, I've missed you so much.” he whispered, tracing tiny circles on my back. His touch felt like I was 16 years old all over again, as if I was just tired of school, he'd come and ask me if I was okay, hug me and tell me stories before I go to bed. I felt young again. I didn't know where this was going but all that mattered was that I was in my dad's arms and I won't be weak ever again as long as I had him around. He still smelled the same, it reminded me of the mornings he'd throw himself in my bed to wake me up. Or the days I get sick and never leave my room. Every single memory came back to me like a ton of bricks.

“Shay. I told you she's gonna come.” I raised my head and sat straight as I smiled towards the woman who was folding her hands into her chest, a smile planted on her lips as she stared at us. “Scarlet, this.. this is my wife Shay.” I was taken by surprise with my dad's words but she seemed like a lovely person. She had a cheeky smile, green eyes, long brunette hair and a slim body. Pretty.

“It's so great to finally meet you. Joseph was talking about you all week.” I smiled as I nodded my head politely towards her.

“How have you been sweetheart? Since... Since I left, I mean.” He asked as I turned my head back to him. I sat on the edge of his bed as I started to speak, telling him about everything he missed. The bits and pieces of many stories were told and he listened carefully, a blissful smile rested on his lips. It made me happy by just looking at him, his entire face was lightened up as he held my hands tightly. As if I'd leave and never come back if he lets go.

~~~

“C'mon. I always read you bedtime stories.” My dad groaned dramatically as I giggled loudly. His wife, Shay excused herself outside shortly after she greeted me and I didn't realize how long I've been sitting on the edge of my dad's bed as we talked about the days I was young, but I noticed how it was getting dark from the window. I wrapped my arms around his neck, hugging him. “Oh, you only did when I asked you to.” I whispered, as he laughed. I kept holding him and sat in silence for a moment.

“I love you dad.” I said smiling to myself, I heard him breathe in as he replied softly.

“I love you too, darlin'”

I heard someone knock the door as I picked my head up from my dad's grip and sat straight.

“Hello Joseph,” a red headed young nurse came in with some papers in her hands, “How are you feeling today?” She smiled towards us and checked his heart monitor, probably to see if his heart rate was normal or not.

“Oh Haley, I'm feeling better than ever,” he smiled, as she wrote some notes down, “But I think I'm a...” he started to cough loudly and I stared at him worriedly.

“I think we need to do a quick check-up on you,” the nurse's face expression was starting to change and I could see that there was something wrong. “Dear, I think you need to wait outside for a moment.” She looked towards me as my dad escaped in another fit of coughs.

“What's happening to him!?” I asked, “Is- is there something wrong?” My eyes were starting to water as I held my dad's hand tightly.

“I'll let you know when if you wait outside. Please.” She quickly leaded me to the door, “I need Dr. Mark to come into R7 immediately.” She yelled as another nurse ran towards the doctor's office. The nurse shut the door behind her and I could still hear my dad's coughs from the inside.

“Hey..” I didn't notice that John was seated on the benches in front of the room until he stood up and held my shoulder with his hands. “Is everything alright?” He whispered, as I bit my lower lip.

“I-I don't know..” I said, sounding more frustrated, “He j-just started coughing an- and I.. I don't--” I felt myself let out a sob and before I even knew it John's arms were wrapped around my waist pulling me into a hug.

“It's alright. It's okay. I'm here.. right here, with you. It's gonna be okay.” He whispered and I could feel his hot breath against my shoulder. I cried into his shirt and squeezed it tightly.

“I just want him to be okay.” I sobbed, and John slowly let go of me cupping my cheeks.

“He'll be okay, alright?” He looked me in the eyes and I realized how tired he looked. Dark circles formed under his eyes, his hair was looking greasy and his face was starting to get pale from the lack of sleep. “Now, how about you sit down right here,” he slowly walked me towards the bench and I took a sit, “I'll go get some water for you okay?” Before he could get a chance to turn away, I spoke.

“Stay.” I said touching the empty chair next to me, “Please.” He looked at me worriedly but did what I said.

He took a seat next to me, our shoulders touching, our breaths falling in the same rhythm and we both didn't say a word. All I could think of was how much I needed to know if my dad's okay or not because I was starting to get frustrated.
♠ ♠ ♠
many thank you's for alllll of your comments, I couldn't be more happy with them! you guys are too sweet. seriously it means a lot to me that people are still reading this story, because it inspires me not to stop. so thank you!

This might be a chapter filled with many information but I think it's time!! Don't forget to comment and subscribe ((if you want to))